: UUC and bushings

lasstss
12-05-05, 06:09 PM
Guys, Lindsay has the shifters and bushings. I have a few bushing sets left, same price. You have to put a little grease on them, otherwise its a fight. You can clean the remainder off after they are in place. Dont give them a bath either...;)

BadCad
12-05-05, 06:19 PM
hey lasstss -
what's care and maintenance on these bushings? i installed them dry, like the fool that i am, but after a (long) while, did get them on right eventually.

lasstss
12-05-05, 07:35 PM
You dont need to do anything, they should outlast the car.

I have seen the OEM's crushed, torn and pushed out. The urethane will not do that.

LS6-CTS-V
12-06-05, 07:16 AM
Hey lasstss, can you post some pics, i would like to see these bushing to see what I have o do for the install????

ewill3rd
12-06-05, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I put a light coating of lubrication on them and then slide the plate on. You have to position them properly too, it seems putting the slit on the top works the best, otherwise the bushings twist and are hard to install.

After the install I tried from above yesterday, I think next time I'll just lower the trans and take the exhaust off. That seems easier for me than trying to do it from inside. It CAN be done from above, but it seems to me that it takes longer and I KNOW it's more frustrating!

I am not sure how many more we have left in stock, but I am sure we have some.
If you want to come get one put on, ask James if we have one before you come.

GOTTSPD
12-06-05, 09:05 AM
ewill3rd,

Was that install on a black w/ tan interior 2004 V w/ MD tags? If so, that's likely mine! Can't wait to drive it with the new bushings and shifter!

BTW, your shop is just amazing! Very, very impressive.

-Michael

lasstss
12-06-05, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I put a light coating of lubrication on them and then slide the plate on. You have to position them properly too, it seems putting the slit on the top works the best, otherwise the bushings twist and are hard to install.

After the install I tried from above yesterday, I think next time I'll just lower the trans and take the exhaust off. That seems easier for me than trying to do it from inside. It CAN be done from above, but it seems to me that it takes longer and I KNOW it's more frustrating!

I am not sure how many more we have left in stock, but I am sure we have some.
If you want to come get one put on, ask James if we have one before you come.

Completely agree. It takes a little longer but it much easier to deal with on the bench and you can make sure that there are no chips in the shifter.

I also pull the solenoid on the left to get the pin out of the trans.

ewill3rd
12-06-05, 10:31 AM
Michael, yes it was your car.
It's in the heavy duty shop getting the heavy duty items looked at.
Donny is going to check the clutch, the rear end and take care of your exhaust.

Everything else is pretty much handled at this point. I am not sure how long Donny is going to be with it. I know he has the ticket on it.
You will love the shifter!
I boxed up the old one with the old bushings and put it in the trunk.

I do like working here. James is a great boss!
(I hope my sucking up to my boss doesn't offend anyone) ;)

GOTTSPD
12-06-05, 10:34 AM
were the old bushings in good shape? seemed like mine wasn't as bad as others I have tried.

ewill3rd
12-06-05, 11:02 AM
I have only done a couple of these so I don't have much to compare them to as far as old ones, but they did seem to have some soft spots in them.
The new bushings are much more firm.

BadCad
12-06-05, 11:10 AM
i found you do not have to lower the tranny, but eliminating the exhaust does work a lot better - gives you more room. i also installed the bushings from the bottom; doing it from the top seems to me to be a lot harder, especially with these bushings - lubed or not.

SilverV
12-06-05, 12:59 PM
Lasstss,

How much for just the bushings ? and how do I order them from you ?

Thx. ! :thumbsup:

lasstss
12-06-05, 02:02 PM
Lasstss,

How much for just the bushings ? and how do I order them from you ?

Thx. ! :thumbsup:

Bushings are $30/pr. Same as Lindsay. James has the bulk of them for shifter installs. I have about 9 sets left.

Paypal will work but add $1. (mam@niroinc.com) or you can mail a check, either way.

Contrary to any belief, I am not a vendor! Just an enthusiast that has access to machine work and a little molding.
I am working on the gage pod for the ashtray for the maggie guys. It wont be cheap but it will be stealth.

SilverV
12-07-05, 04:05 PM
Bushings are $30/pr. Same as Lindsay. James has the bulk of them for shifter installs. I have about 9 sets left.

Paypal will work but add $1. (mam@niroinc.com) or you can mail a check, either way.

Contrary to any belief, I am not a vendor! Just an enthusiast that has access to machine work and a little molding.
I am working on the gage pod for the ashtray for the maggie guys. It wont be cheap but it will be stealth.

Sending Paypal, Thx. !!!

-Brian

KILR CAD
12-21-05, 10:03 AM

Do you still have some bushings? And where do I buy the UUC shifter, it's time to fix this crappy shifter.

Lindsay Cadillac
12-21-05, 10:14 AM
Bruce,

I have shifters and bushings available. You can e-mail me your information and we can get them out to you right away...

50 4Ever
12-29-05, 02:02 AM

If you have any bushings left I will take a pair. Respond to this thread and I'll paypal the $31. I take it that a pair is all you need for installation.

Thanks,
Doug

:thumbsup:

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 06:50 AM
Doug,

If lasstss has sent his remaining bushings to us, I'll get a pair out to you. There are more in the process of being made also. I'll check with lasstss and we'll get them out to you... Send me an e-mail with your shipping information...

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 06:51 AM
If there is anyone out there looking for a UUC shifter, we have them in stock...

Davidstan
12-29-05, 07:12 AM
what is the general concensus on the UUC shifter.....seems a while back someone reported negatively about the shifts.

D

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 07:35 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself. I've had the UUC in my car for several months & several thousand miles. It is by far the best modification you can do to the car. The stock shifter almost feels like it's broken when compared to the UUC. The throw is shorter, the shifts are cleaner ( you don't feel like you have to hunt for the gear you're shifting to ) and the feedback from the shifter movement is very positive, not sloppy.

That's my $.02, YMMV...

SBONES
12-29-05, 08:21 AM
i think ill take one shifter and bushing....let me know..:cool2:

ewill3rd
12-29-05, 08:32 AM
Of the few I have installed I could hardly believe the difference.
I am sure it's a matter of personal preference but I can't see how anyone would not like this change.
It always freaks me out when I pull one in, remove the factory shifter and then go to back it out. It's a MAJOR difference.

GT04CTS-V
12-29-05, 09:20 AM
The shifter is by far one of the best mods you can make. The shifts are much more positive and I like the shortened throw.

It did take a few miles to get used to.

GT

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 09:55 AM
i think ill take one shifter and bushing....let me know..:cool2:Send me an e-mail with your shipping info and a contact number and we'll call and get your credit card info...

50 4Ever
12-29-05, 10:49 AM
Doug,

If lasstss has sent his remaining bushings to us, I'll get a pair out to you. There are more in the process of being made also. I'll check with lasstss and we'll get them out to you... Send me an e-mail with your shipping information...

You have e-mail

lawfive
12-29-05, 11:13 AM
The UUC is a thing of beauty. If I were to do all my mods over again, it would be my first.

Florian
12-29-05, 11:19 AM
James,

Interested in the UUC bushings as well. You can contact me here or at fflabeets at a o l dot com

Obrigado!

F

Daffy
12-29-05, 11:30 AM
2 cents from a guy who just got his installed by James.

I had this tranny in my Viper & I have it in my 03 Cobra stang, they felt great, the V felt totally different, such a lose sloppy feel. The UUC is quite an improvement, the feel is like the viper & stang now, firm but not clunky, positive and confident in the shifting movement and I don't notice any increase in noise or vibration. Coupled witht the CAGS eliminator mod it is the best mod IMHO. And once again James' shop was great on the work.

It might be possible for someone to not like it (anythings possible), as it's more firm, but I believe if you don't like the change in the feel with a UUC install, then you're someone that probably would be happier in an auto.

D.

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 11:31 AM
James,

Interested in the UUC bushings as well. You can contact me here or at fflabeets at a o l dot com

Obrigado!

FFlorian,

Are you looking for just the bushings, or do you need the shifter as well?? Either way we can hook you up...

Florian
12-29-05, 11:43 AM
bushings only....already have the shifter...thanks for asking, though.

F

twinsberry
12-29-05, 11:52 AM
Happy Holiday's,

This site is great, I got my V 2 weeks ago. This site is helping me correct the GM flaws. The 1st to 4th shifting problem is the first change. I plan to order the shifter and uuc bushings next. SW and RT next.:D

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 12:02 PM
bushings only....already have the shifter...thanks for asking, though.

FFlorian,

Bushings are $30.00 and I might have a set left that we can send to you. Send me an e-mail with your shipping info if you are interested and you can call me with your credit card info.

SBONES
12-29-05, 12:21 PM
I maped you out on mapquest...I think it will take me 3 1/2 hrs to get to you...let you guys install it all...and while its there check some other things out...rotors...cradle bolts...you know go over it...Im coming from allentown, pa..anyways looking forward to meeting you...scott

Florian
12-29-05, 12:28 PM
James,

Got your #, will call this afternoon

F

Dave-V
12-29-05, 01:16 PM
This may be a dumb question but will the bushings work with a B&M shifter?

Brad330cic
12-29-05, 01:45 PM
Hey...I want a shifter and bushings too!
Brad@ultimatesn.com

StealthV
12-29-05, 01:57 PM
This may be a dumb question but will the bushings work with a B&M shifter?

Yes.

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 03:00 PM
As Rick has already stated the bushings are not specific to the UUC shifter, they actually go on the shifter mounting plate. Take a look at the attached picture, the arrows point to where the bushings go.

Sorry, my arrows aren't as nice as some of the other members.

Davidstan
12-29-05, 03:44 PM
thx for the replies on the shifter. Guess i'm going to be doing the UUC w/ the cags.

D

99m3
12-29-05, 04:13 PM
James, I asked my local dealer about installing the shifter and they sort of made me feel that I was speaking another laguage. How many hours would you say a Cadillac mechanic would take for this install, maybe I can help them understand.

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 04:25 PM
I maped you out on mapquest...I think it will take me 3 1/2 hrs to get to you...let you guys install it all...and while its there check some other things out...rotors...cradle bolts...you know go over it...Im coming from allentown, pa..anyways looking forward to meeting you...scottSounds good to me, just let me know when you want to come in...

James, I asked my local dealer about installing the shifter and they sort of made me feel that I was speaking another laguage. How many hours would you say a Cadillac mechanic would take for this install, maybe I can help them understand.It shouldn't take more then about an hour... I think the last one that Bill, one of our technicians, did took 48 minutes or something like that...

99m3
12-29-05, 04:44 PM
James thanks a bunch and maye I can give the service advisor some direction with this information.

50 4Ever
12-29-05, 06:54 PM
As Rick has already stated the bushings are not specific to the UUC shifter, they actually go on the shifter mounting plate. Take a look at the attached picture, the arrows point to where the bushings go.

Sorry, my arrows aren't as nice as some of the other members.

Thanks for posting the picture James

2004ctsv
12-29-05, 07:50 PM
Sounds good to me, just let me know when you want to come in...

It shouldn't take more then about an hour... I think the last one that Bill, one of our technicians, did took 48 minutes or something like that...

I think one of your cohorts said it could be done from above.

Unless he has triple jointed fingers the width of pencils, I highly doubt it.

I just put the V on jack stands in the front and ramps in the back. After I un-bolted what I could from the top I got under the car to start taking the exhaust and drive shaft down.

Guess what. The drive shaft doesn't turn when the rear wheels are planted on the ramps. And I can't reach all the bolts on the drive shaft the way it is now.

I lowered the car and went to get an Iron City. The rest will wait till tomorrow

Tony

My motto - "anything worth doing yourself better be worth doing twice"

Lindsay Cadillac
12-29-05, 08:29 PM
I think one of your cohorts said it could be done from above.It can be done from above, I didn't say it was easy just that it could be done. Of course I have the advantage of having a car up on the lift and I'm standing under it instead of laying on my back. :thumbsup:

stkshkr
12-29-05, 11:27 PM
Since the bushings will work with a B&M, I would love a set if anybody has them. Maybe it'll quiet it down a little?
PM or email stkshkr@zoomtown.com if you have a set to sell
Thanks

2004ctsv
12-30-05, 10:19 PM
It can be done from above, I didn't say it was easy just that it could be done. Of course I have the advantage of having a car up on the lift and I'm standing under it instead of laying on my back. :thumbsup:

Just got the new bushings in

Advice - be generous w/ the lube and the bracket will slide right on

That was enough work for tonight - time for a nightcap (or three):alchi:

Tomorrow the battery on the drill should be charged and it will be time for the rivets to go. We don't work very fast (or long)

T

50 4Ever
12-30-05, 10:40 PM
Just got the new bushings in
Advice - be generous w/ the lube and the bracket will slide right on
That was enough work for tonight - time for a nightcap (or three):alchi:
Tomorrow the battery on the drill should be charged and it will be time for the rivets to go. We don't work very fast (or long)
T
Mine will arrive the 6th, thanks for the advice. I think I'll have a nitecap also :alchi:

ewill3rd
12-31-05, 06:40 AM
I realized yesterday that instead of just taking the shift boot off and working in the hole, it might be even easier to just remove the entire center console altogether.
There are 6 10mm bolts holding it down which are easy to access and two wire connectors that must be unhooked and TONS of room to work from the inside with the console out. Just thought I'd mention that.
Maybe everyone else was already doing it that way?

50 4Ever
12-31-05, 12:18 PM
I realized yesterday that instead of just taking the shift boot off and working in the hole, it might be even easier to just remove the entire center console altogether.
There are 6 10mm bolts holding it down which are easy to access and two wire connectors that must be unhooked and TONS of room to work from the inside with the console out. Just thought I'd mention that.
Maybe everyone else was already doing it that way?
I was wondering about that. When I had the shifter installed in the Corvette that is the was they did it. Anyone try it that way? We probable need to get input from Linsday Cadillac on this one.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/lurk5.gif

Slywun
12-31-05, 12:38 PM
I didn't have any clearance issue when I installed mine. I'm not sure that the console removal is necessary or advantageous. It took me about 1.5 hours and that included installing the shifter backwards and had to remove and turn it around. Didn't drop the driveshaft or exhaust, but did have to get under the car for some of the bolts.

At 6'1" 220, I'm not exactly a small guy to be squeezing around the driveshaft.

GOTTSPD
12-31-05, 12:53 PM
I was wondering about that. When I had the shifter installed in the Corvette that is the was they did it. Anyone try it that way? We probable need to get input from Linsday Cadillac on this one.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/lurk5.gif

That was Lindsay Cadillac (well, their lead "V" tech anyway)!!!

50 4Ever
12-31-05, 01:53 PM
That was Lindsay Cadillac (well, their lead "V" tech anyway)!!!

I guess I need to read everything. But it sounds like he really hasn't tried this approach yet. I'm wondering is removing the console will really give you more access or just expose the tunnel.

ewill3rd
12-31-05, 03:16 PM
Next one we do from above I'll see.
I work at Lindsay, but the member Lindsay cadillac is James, my boss.
I do most of the V work that is not related to the rear end or clutch work.

The one I did from above I had trouble with lighting and with working around the console opening, I can see taking the console out giving me the room I am more comfortable with to do the job. I am due to try one from above so that James and I can see which way is really quicker. I ran my stopwatch on the last one I did from below, now I need to do it from above.

If one of you guys that haven't gotten the shifter done yet wants to be Guinea pig (so to speak) I'll work it out for those of you who live too far away.
I might even take some pictures :D

I had to take the console out of one the other day for another reason and I was really surprised at how much easier it looked.
It only took me about 5 or 10 extra minutes to remove the console.

I'll let you know.

2004ctsv
12-31-05, 04:04 PM
I just finished the bushing and shifter installation

I disconnected the drive shaft after taking the exhaust (Corsa) off.

I just reattached the drive shaft but didn't see any reference in the instructions on torque settings on the six bolts on the front of the drive shaft.

Does anyone have this information?

Thanks

Tony

ewill3rd
12-31-05, 08:33 PM
You can drop the propshaft without disconnecting it at either end and get enough room to do the job. You just have to take out the bolts that hold the center support to the body and it will "sag" enough.
Here are the propshaft torque specs.

Center Bearing Mounting Bolt
50 N·m
37 lb ft

C/V Joint Bolts
60 N·m
44 lb ft

Heat Shield
8 N·m
6 lb ft

Rubber Couplings to Flanges
85 N·m
63 lb ft

2004ctsv
12-31-05, 08:47 PM
Thanks

I needed to get the car put back together this afternoon so I guessed at 50 ft-lbs.

I guess that's not too far off. I'll tighten them to spec later.

It's time to wash up and head out.

Happy New Year all

Tony

SBONES
01-01-06, 10:13 AM
hey James, im hearing this knock noise...either from the rear or rotors...all we did is install the drilled rotors and torque the rear...i also noticed that this made my bushings squeak...can you guys find out what is going on...maybe redo the rotors and check the rear cradle...and the uuc and bushing...im thinking if not this week...next...thanks pal...scott:bouncy:

2004ctsv
01-01-06, 04:51 PM
I took a ride with the new shifter & bushings - definitely a great mod

Initially, first gear feels a liitle strange because the throw is shorter. But the quickness of the 1-2 shift makes it all worth while.

The worst part of the install was getting the Corsa back on and aligned right.

Tony

wkdivr
01-02-06, 10:07 AM
I took a ride with the new shifter & bushings - definitely a great mod

Initially, first gear feels a liitle strange because the throw is shorter. But the quickness of the 1-2 shift makes it all worth while.

The worst part of the install was getting the Corsa back on and aligned right.

Tony

2004ctsv, please pm me, or e-mail me. I'd like to offer my help on your Maggie install. I don't have enough posts to pm, yet.

Bill
wkdivr@iname.com

urbanski
01-15-06, 04:34 PM
Allow me to post how my install went today :)

Safely support the front. Pop the shifter boot assembly, pull it up and move the foam underneath. Do NOT pop the knob off. Look inside ahead of the shifter and you'll see 2 10mm bolts holding the fix plate in. Remove em. Don't need to remove the plate.

Now crawl under and slide the plate holding the stock bushings forward. Its just a small narrow plate with "arms" holding the bushings. Remove and toss em. Lightly lube Lasstss's set, slide em on, and use a crowbar to slide the plate back onto them. Line up yer holes and put the 10mm bolts back in.

Did NOT remove the diff, exhaust, nor shift knob. It was quite easy to wiggle things on. It took 10 minutes and thats no lie :)

Thanks Martin, you're a genius and a true blessing for us V owners :cloud9:

KILR CAD
01-15-06, 07:41 PM
I had Speed Inn in Hayward, CA do the the install of the UUC Shifter and Lasstss's Bushings, All I can say is WOW! Besides changing the exhaust this is the best Mod ever for the CTS-V. I would recomend these two mods to everyone who owns a V.

twinsberry
01-15-06, 09:28 PM
Reading these post run my blood pressure up. I'm trying to hold off on too many mods. I'm scheduled to have my uuc and bushings installed at lindsey in two weeks. I'm trying not to change the exhaust and my drill the hole on top of the muffler and pull the fiber out. I think detuning my 70 Nova is my outlet to hold off on moding the V. The V is a joy to drive and reminds me of the 70s and early 80s.

ewill3rd
01-16-06, 06:47 AM
Hey SBONES, how's the car?
Did the knocking noise stay gone?

SBONES
01-16-06, 08:39 AM
love the shifter and bushing...the noise it comes and goes....im thinking since tighting up the rear cradle, this caused the noise...what is happining is its putting more force on the driveshaft...and maybe its the front bushing bottoming out...:confused: ...the noise is so slight...it really doesnt bother me...im going to change out the bushings once the cold weather passes..i really dont know what the noise is...when they put the shifter in...it didnt make the noise at the dealer...(lindsay caddy)

scott

Parker
01-18-06, 01:19 AM
sent money paypal.