: Lemon??

FastEddy
12-05-05, 06:01 PM
Hello! New here, need some advice.

I was pretty much set on buying a V from a local dealer. He told me about the 4 year/50,000 warranty and I thought that was icing on the cake. The V has about 10k on it.

The dealer showed me one page of the carfax that related to the warranty. I asked to see the rest of the report and he told me they only had that one page.

Well that set of my BS meter so I ran a carfax myself. It turns out the car was from CA ( I am in MN) and was bought back by GM at 1400 miles.

It was owned locally here and driven by someone for almost 10K.

Well the dealer called me today and I told him his lack of disclosure was either illegal or at least unethical. I told him I may still be interested(at a reduced price of course) still if I could see the details regarding the buyback and the vis history.

He faxed me these things this afternoon. The warranty buy back notice states the problem as "brakes inorerative" The corrections simply says "inspect vehicle park brake, operates as designed"

I don't see this as terribly helpful?

Here is the VIS report.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/fasteddy/GMvisreport2.jpg

There seem to be an awful lot of big parts replaced here for a 10,000 mile car??

I have read about the radiator tsb's and understand what is going on there.

But three sunroof switches, the radio twice, power steering pump and gear, both front lower control arms and much more???

Should I run from this car or try to get a really good deal on it??

Thanks in advance for the help!!

12-05-05, 06:17 PM
The dealer is a liar. That is enough to get me to walk away and look elsewhere. I try not to knowingly do business with liars or thieves. There are plenty of V's on the market (though maybe not in MN).

And yeah it appears that the car has some issues.

d

StealthV
12-05-05, 06:17 PM
With used Vs easy to find, I'd stay away from that one unless it was under $30k.

For a reasonable price, my '05 could be yours and if you ran a report like above, it would be blank. :)

rjm
12-05-05, 06:18 PM
After seeing all this info, you should RUN from this car as quickly as possible, no matter how good the deal. If GM bought the car back, it was for more than a parking brake. Even with all my years of experience with Cadillac and my dealer, I would still RUN from this car.

BadCad
12-05-05, 06:22 PM
i assume (hope) this is not a GM/Caddi dealership...

heavymetals
12-05-05, 06:24 PM
There is a real nice supporting member who will run the history if you post the VIN#.
I wouldn't buy a car from a liar.
Better they say they don't know, but that would make too much sense.

Just from the info you post, I would look elsewhere.

There are a couple of forum members selling their V's, why not contact them?

Playdrv4me
12-05-05, 06:35 PM
What a POS. Stay away from that heaping hunk of turd.... and don't buy the car either.

10secvette
12-05-05, 07:01 PM
I called on that car last week. I had already run the carfax and knew it was a buyback. I wanted to see if they would B.S. me since I was out of state. The guy I talked to told me it was a buyback. He was honest at least. I consider those cars to be "salvage cars". GREATLY reduced value, on a car that already is selling for peanuts in the used market considering the sticker price.

FastEddy
12-05-05, 07:15 PM
i assume (hope) this is not a GM/Caddi dealership...

It is a Chevy dealer.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!!!

I only started looking at these last week. I have yet to find another 04' locally though(Minneapolis area). I had my mind set on a new GTO when I discovered that I could get a used V for about the same. After driving the V there is no way I could by a GTO now!!

I need to keep my costs around 30k. I really don't want to spend more than that.

I am fairly sure I can get a nice 04' with under 20k for that amount??

If anyone has one in that range feel free to PM me!!

I really do not think I will buy this car unless I can talk to the owner who had it here in MN for the last year, and get a really screaming deal on it with a free 100k warranty. There just seems to be too much bad history on it.

Thanks!!!

Ryan's '05-V
12-05-05, 09:19 PM
You might get a screaming deal but it doesn't do any good without a warranty and this car needs one and will never have one. As I recall, once a car is bought back there is no GM/Cadillac warranty since they already took in the arse on it.
Good luck but you should check on another.
The history on my car is not the best so I would never take a V without a warranty as it's their car that has issues, not me.
Good luck in your V search as they are better than any GTO.

Playdrv4me
12-05-05, 11:02 PM
You might get a screaming deal but it doesn't do any good without a warranty and this car needs one and will never have one. As I recall, once a car is bought back there is no GM/Cadillac warranty since they already took in the arse on it.
Good luck but you should check on another.
The history on my car is not the best so I would never take a V without a warranty as it's their car that has issues, not me.
Good luck in your V search as they are better than any GTO.

The vehicle still qualifies for a full term Extended warranty OR GM can recertify it at a cost to the buyer. Same thing. I bought an 01 STS that was done this way. Previously owned by a GM exec.

I am more partial to buy-backs than I am to salvage, because thats a complete unknown.
In either case, that car is worth all of about 24000.00 in terms of real-world value, if you cant get it for that or less fahggedaboudit!