: WOW, what a Mod!!

rgd
12-05-05, 06:05 PM
An absolute necessity!
My first goal has been to tighten up the handling since the car has pretty good power already. I started with the UUC shifter (sweet) then I installed the Kars Cradle stage III (allot better than expected), next came QA1 shocks and coils to drop the car, (shocks are only as good the coils they dampen, still in WIP); all that said I have one more thing to add!!!

Hotchkis, one word “WOW”; if you don’t have them yet I suggest you get them. These bars are far and away the best mod I have done for handling so far. The only other mod that will rival them will be the QA1’s as soon as I get the coil issue fixed. But, bang for buck, the sway bars can’t be beat. No my last name isn’t Hotchkis either. On a scale of ten they are every bit a “TEN Plus”!:yup:

Coils and brakes should complete the handing; then begins the quest for Power!

Disclaimer: to save rebuttal
The term “Pretty Good Power”, is relative in its use. When the stock V is referred to or associated with in any way shape or form the likes of, (as example) Parker or any other Maggie tottin, Nitrous blastin wheel spinnin crazy car junkie, “Pretty Good Power” is a reasonable statement!

That’s all I wanted to share.

Thanks,
Bob

calicadi
12-05-05, 09:31 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. At less than $400 and DIY installation, you cannot find better.

DrivingAmericanNow
12-05-05, 10:37 PM
OK, I've got to ask. The V is already a good handler, but it does roll a bit in a hard turn. I haven't looked lately, but I'm fairly certain it's got decent sized sway bars front and rear (could be wrong).

So......

1. What's your experience in the handling difference? Is it mainly the willingness of the car to stay flat in corners, etc... You know, how's it really feel?

2. Are the sway bars much thicker than what's already there? Front & Rear?

3. I'm wondering if they'll interfere with my BMR anti wheel hop bar out back.

4. Easy install for a novice?

Thanks for the review, and thanks in advance for your replies should you chose to answer my ramblings. :alchi:

wildwhl
12-05-05, 11:38 PM
D.A.N. - LET ME TRY TO ANSWER THIS (MY ANSWERS IN CAPS :hide: )

1. What's your experience in the handling difference? Is it mainly the willingness of the car to stay flat in corners, etc... You know, how's it really feel?

YES, TO ME IT STAYS FLATTER IN THE CORNERS AND HOLDS BETTER.

YES THEY ARE, BUT I DON'T RECALL BY HOW MUCH THICKER/STIFFER.

NO, THEY DO NOT INTERFERE ON MY V.

EVEN A MONKEY COULD DO IT.

Luna.
12-05-05, 11:59 PM

Sh*t...I don't qualify...

lawfive
12-06-05, 12:09 AM

Sh*t...I don't qualify...

Sure, you do. :p

wildwhl
12-06-05, 12:11 AM
Hell, and Law speaks from experience :histeric:

Luna.
12-06-05, 12:18 AM
Sure, you do. :p

Then again, if Bigfoot can do it...:duck:

rgd
12-06-05, 02:31 AM
WILDWHL nailed it to the wall. It took me about 2.5 maybe 3hrs and a medium sized bunch of bananas and I was done.

The only thing I would add is the following. With my car set up as it was without these bars the ride was a bit rough due to having the shocks adjusted so tight because of the soft springs. I would feel every little bump in the road. The sway bars have made the car ride allot smoother; I have not changed the shock setting at all. I don't feel all the bumps, I feel the road and the car better though. It's easier to anticipate when I am about to get loose around a hard turn; I can feel it sooner basically.

I would guess the Hotchkis bars are at 30% larger (or more) than the stock bars.

D.A.N. - LET ME TRY TO ANSWER THIS (MY ANSWERS IN CAPS :hide: )

YES, TO ME IT STAYS FLATTER IN THE CORNERS AND HOLDS BETTER.

YES THEY ARE, BUT I DON'T RECALL BY HOW MUCH THICKER/STIFFER.

NO, THEY DO NOT INTERFERE ON MY V.

DrivingAmericanNow
12-06-05, 11:20 AM
RGD, Wildwhl,

Thanks for the feedback. When I get the V out of winter hibernation this spring, I just may try upgrading to the Hotchkis bars. I was able to install the BMR on my own, so I figure the swaybars are probably easier (so long as there's no need to drop that damn cradle again).

D-A-N

calicadi
12-06-05, 11:26 PM
RGD, Wildwhl,

Thanks for the feedback. When I get the V out of winter hibernation this spring, I just may try upgrading to the Hotchkis bars. I was able to install the BMR on my own, so I figure the swaybars are probably easier (so long as there's no need to drop that damn cradle again).

D-A-N
Do it, you won't regret it! No need to drop cradle. Hand tools and jack stands. Join the Clan of Monkeys!

See my thread on Hotchkis install tips.

On dimensions:
I installed the Hotchkis bars yesterday. (I'll do a separate thread about that adventure.) Here's the specs from the Hotchkis site on their dimensions:
Specs:
1 1/4" (32mm) Hollow Front
1" (25mm) Solid Rear
Stiffness:
Front 70% Stiffer than stock.
Rear 90% Stiffer than stock
The stock front bar is 26.6 mm. Can't find the spec on the stock rear. By looks, the dimension difference between Hotchkis and stock rear appears about the same as the front. Didn't have time to snap a pic of rear side-by-side but here's one of the front. (That's the rear bar still in plastic at top of frame.) The Hotchkis bars are non-adjustable.

DrivingAmericanNow
12-06-05, 11:59 PM
Calicadi, great info, thanks :yup:

jimbo1320
12-10-05, 11:06 PM
rgd,
How does the ride quality compar to stock. Sounds like a mod i would be interested in if the ride doesn't stiffin up. Seems to me it would hve to. My shocks and springs are stock.

Thanks, jimbo1320

calicadi
12-11-05, 12:42 AM
rgd,
How does the ride quality compar to stock. Sounds like a mod i would be interested in if the ride doesn't stiffin up. Seems to me it would hve to. My shocks and springs are stock.

Thanks, jimbo1320

I'll butt in even though you asked rgd. With stock shocks and springs, and I assume original F1 tires, you may not notice much difference. A bit more level in the corners and better steering response.

I upgraded to the FG2 shocks before installing the Hotchkis and drove around some. Big difference between stock and FG2's, not at all uncomfortable, but you do feel more road imperfections. They really help the tires to stay planted. Then my F1's were through and I went with Bridgestone RE050A runflats. These seem to have stiffer sidewalls than the F1's (if that's possible!), because I'm noticing even more road feel. Then I added the Hotchkis. They did not seem to add any more stiffness than already experienced. But combined with the FG2's and tires, the really do help level out the car in corners and increase turn-in response.

Dreamin
12-11-05, 02:43 AM
rgd,
Thanks, jimbo1320

Sway bars dont firm up or change the ride much at all... it's only when one wheel goes over a bump and the other doesn't, then they come into play... but cruz'ing down a freeway, even a rough freeway with expansion joints, etc... no change in ride at all...

jimbo1320
12-13-05, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the insight on the Hotchiks. I think it will be a good spring purchase. So far I'm happy with all I've done to my "V", Corsa, Stealth, Volant, Billet Knobs and peddles.

Jimbo

jlakowicz
12-24-05, 09:23 AM
When you put in the sway bars is it necessary to reallign the wheels?

Dennisscars
12-24-05, 11:49 AM
When you put in the sway bars is it necessary to reallign the wheels?

No, it does nothing to change the geometry of the front or rear suspension.

L.Sanchez
12-24-05, 03:55 PM
Anyone know what the wieght increase is?

Going from a 26 mm bar that I believe is hollow to a solid 32mm bar is a big difference. And for those that don't know, a hollow bar is going to perform more like a smaller bar would but wieghs less. In other words, a 32mm solid bar is going to be stiffer than a 32mm hollow bar but with added wieght. I have a 32mm solid bar on my Trans Am and that thing wieghs a ton. The extra wieght can also add a bit of jiggle to the steering going over bumps and potholes. Anyone notice that?

Ladis

calicadi
12-24-05, 05:08 PM
Anyone know what the wieght increase is?

Going from a 26 mm bar that I believe is hollow to a solid 32mm bar is a big difference. And for those that don't know, a hollow bar is going to perform more like a smaller bar would but wieghs less. In other words, a 32mm solid bar is going to be stiffer than a 32mm hollow bar but with added wieght. I have a 32mm solid bar on my Trans Am and that thing wieghs a ton. The extra wieght can also add a bit of jiggle to the steering going over bumps and potholes. Anyone notice that?

Ladis
I too am weight conscious but was in a hurry that day and didn't weigh 'em. Sorry. As I recall though they did feel slightly heavier, but only slightly. Installed they make the car feel much lighter. :hmm: Don't know how the physics of how that works but the front especially feels lighter and the steering more precise.

No jiggle noted. Combined with the FG2 shocks and Bridgestone tires, I do note the tires stay planted better over a variety of road conditions and steering angles.