Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Illuminated Door Handles

12K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ikireland 
#1 ·
Anyone know if some programming change has to occur for swapping the illuminated Door Handles to a Luxury trim.

This is one of the features that I loved on the premium but didn't want to pay that premium price.

For ~$80 each, it doesn't seem bad at all.

#3 ·
Programming would depend on the source of power you tap into, and when you want them to turn on/off. Not sure if the doors are pre-wired for models with out this feature from the factory. I would doubt it. Take off a door panel from a door other than the drivers door (less wires in those) and see if there's unused wiring. It would probably be taped up to the interior structure.

There's obviously power in the doors for the windows, but that would turn the handles on whenever the car is running.
From the factory the handles are programmed to turn off when the ignition is turned on.

#9 ·
There's obviously power in the doors for the windows, but that would turn the handles on whenever the car is running.
From the factory the handles are programmed to turn off when the ignition is turned on.
Some might like that. There are posts from owners wanting the door handle lights that came in their car to be on all the time the car is running. I wonder what the life span is for the lights? LEDs are long lived but not if too much heat would build up if on for extended periods.

#8 ·
If there isn't already something in the plug that goes to the handle currently you could tap into the power wire for the courtesy light at the bottom of the door. That way it would turn on and off at the appropriate times. Or you could tap into the ambient light on the interior handle, then they would still come on as you approach the car but they would stay on at night too, could be cool as you drive...

#12 · (Edited)
smitty846 said:
I had the same thought. I'm not going to mess with mine but I think they'd be fine. LED's don't really generate much heat. The only thing that would be a consideration is life span. I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep your car if this is a factor. Obviously if the handles failed after you rewired them warranty wouldn't cover them. If there was a software change the dealer could do with a Tech2 to have them come on with the headlights I'd do it in a second.
Don't use tech2's on these cars. Programming has to be released from GM which they will not release without an authorisation number which the dealer won't have since they only come with GM accessory parts that need programming (ie cobalt GM accessory tunes) and obviously these handles are not an accessory option therefor programming from a dealer. That being said it is most likely just a hardware upgrade if done properly and wired into correct input on bcm. When I added paddles no programming needed, just had to wire them correctly. GM likes to have as little amount of calibrations on file as possible, less upkeep and maintenance with least punt of different Cals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.