: alternator replacement part deux

AKPsiMC03
12-15-03, 09:06 PM
Yup, anyone who remembers i did it back in July.. and this morning i got "NO BATTERY CHARGE" its been coming and going for the past 2 weeks. I guess my remanufactured alternator ah la autozone took a crap on me.

well this time i found the right way to get it in and out and it only took 2 hours to free it tonight. Not a fun job at all.

this time i need some loc tite on it... the back to bolts on the thing were loose. one was hand tight... the other backed compleetly out!!! oh well... live and learn

anyway.... wish me luck putting it in tomorrow

GeorgeGN
12-16-03, 09:49 AM
Hi I had a charging problem with my 93 STS.. Mechanic charged me $450.Turns out he used a Lappens Rebuilt.It would charge,not charge.Every time I brought it back it would be barely charging.he's trying to tell me,thats the way they are.. I finally had it pulled out again and taken to a local rebuild shop. They pulled it apart in seconds,yanked the Taiwan voltage regulator out of it,replaced it with a GM one.Then noticed that none of the connection's that were supposed to be soldered,were.. Bench tested it,put it back together.Now its charging like it should... Some of this cheap rebuilt stuff is nothing but junk. A few years back a rebuilt water pump I had installed in my pro-Street El-Camino grenaded and sent the fan right through my month old $500 Griffin aluminum radiator.. Wasn't happy that day.
Gorge

Aurora By Olds
12-18-03, 12:23 AM
Use either GM alternators or take them to a place that rebuilds them with GM parts.
Either that, or change it every 6 months.
If it lasts longer than that, surely hell has frozen over.

AKPsiMC03
12-18-03, 08:45 AM
on my tbird i kept using rebuilds. every 5-6 months they would fail, but still under the 1 year warenty. but on that car it took me exactly 7 min to change the alternator... maybe i gotta rethink this. oh well. i just wanna sell this car soon.

TimPic
04-05-04, 06:35 PM
Sent you a private message, but if u can also post a "How too"
that would be great