: Why No Hand Brake in CTS V 06

bsrpilot
12-04-05, 05:30 PM
Yesterday I was visiting my local Cadillac Dealer, and got to sit in a CTS V for my first time. After pretending to race with the engine off for a good 10 minutes, i noticed that the car had no hand brake. I was wondering if any of you CTS V owners or members could explain this to me. If all other manuals have handbrakes y not a hot shot like this one?

04CTSVFLA
12-04-05, 05:56 PM
If our car had a handbrake...imagine how many more problems the rear end would have......at least in my eyes......alot more people would be beating on the car.....trying to pull 1.3 on the g meter by yanking the hand brake. I cant think of any other reason.....

CVP33
12-04-05, 06:02 PM
The hell with this hand brake business. Let's talk more about this 10 minutes of faux racing you did with the engine off. Did you make vroom noises and everything? I got to know. :duck:

Luna.
12-04-05, 06:04 PM
The hell with this hand brake business. Let's talk more about this 10 minutes of faux racing you did with the engine off. Did you make vroom noises and everything? I got to know. :duck:

LOL--exactly. Do tell!! :histeric:

crowan
12-04-05, 06:13 PM

Let's go to the video tape! :histeric: :histeric:

bsrpilot
12-04-05, 07:21 PM
Well it was all pretty standard, the whole racing with engine off thing. I mean they must have a poster of me at every dealership with jokes around it. BTW i do this at all dealerships with all new cars. Never by a demo lol.:bouncy: But yah anyone have any sort of a problem with the CTS V: hills and no handbrake??

GLAD I AMUSED U ALL!!!!:hide:

cdog533
12-04-05, 07:24 PM
It has a parking brake - its just down by the clutch.

And yes, it will allow for bootlegger style 180's. Just pull the release out and hold it out.

When I get in a car, I usually make race car noises like this: http://www.frenzy.com/~jester/racecar.html

crowan
12-04-05, 07:30 PM
Well it was all pretty standard, the whole racing with engine off thing. I mean they must have a poster of me at every dealership with jokes around it. BTW i do this at all dealerships with all new cars. Never by a demo lol.:bouncy: But yah anyone have any sort of a problem with the CTS V: hills and no handbrake??

GLAD I AMUSED U ALL!!!!:hide:

We kid because we love.:duck: You need a thick skin and a sense of humor in this Forum.

In fact, the hand brake is one simple improvement that I would like Cadillac to make. With a maunal trans, it really is an inconvenience not to have it.

CR

bsrpilot
12-04-05, 08:00 PM
I have thick skin, just like KFC!!! LMFAO:cookoo:

Yah i am in the market for a CTS V but am not sure if i can handle a manual without a handbrake. My other choices are the Audi S4 and the BMW M3. Wat do u guys think???:alchi:

TY in advance

12-04-05, 08:05 PM
First Mustang with a handbrake: 1979 (I don't know and don't care if the Mustang II had one).

First Camaro/Firebird with a handbrake: 1982

First GTO (pontiac, that is) with a handbrake: 2004

First Corvette with a handbrake: (C4, I think, 1983?)

First manual transmission Mopar Musclecar with a handbrake: Still waiting

I've rarely used the handbrake on a hill, unless the clown behind me stops an inch from my bumper. It is fun if you want to do some dramatic tailslides, I suppose, but that is kind of silly unless you are filming a chase scene. It would be nice to have, but there are more important things that I would like to see the General focus on first.

heavymetals
12-04-05, 08:26 PM
Are you kidding?

The loss of a handbrake is gonna be the deal breaker?

Cmon!

Go drive one and then try to convince yourself you don't want it.:lildevil:

Just don't stop going uphill :banghead:

keeksv
12-04-05, 09:13 PM

My 1980 vette had a handbrake.

Don't think there ever was a 1983 vette.

ew

roadracerx72
12-04-05, 09:21 PM
Are you kidding?

The loss of a handbrake is gonna be the deal breaker?

Cmon!

Go drive one and then try to convince yourself you don't want it.:lildevil:

Just don't stop going uphill :banghead:

I thought it was strange not to have a hand brake when I first saw the car, but now that I have driven it, and own one, who cares... Less clutter for me in the center...

Dave's V
12-04-05, 09:33 PM
We have plenty of hills around here and using a foot parking brake was not a problem. It just takes a little more skill to get started on a hill.

kjr39
12-04-05, 09:47 PM
there's been a couple of threads bout the V/s4/m3 debate. Doa search and you'll see what I mean...

Or, you could go do your unique version of a test drive and see which one you like best. :D

12-04-05, 09:55 PM
My 1980 vette had a handbrake.

Don't think there ever was a 1983 vette.

ew

The C4 was released in Feb '83 as an '84 model. But if your 1980 'vette had a handbrake, then I suspect that all of the "C3" models had it from '68 on.....so then ignore the 'vette from the list.

bsrpilot
12-04-05, 11:24 PM
TY for all of the help i do this 2 much 2 myself :thepan:

FYI the handbrake is not a deal braker, buti live in a very very hilly area jus like san fran and dont wanna keep buying people new front ends. LOL

Oh yah i drove it, and it ripped my head off!!!!

-uplink-
12-05-05, 12:20 AM

C4's started in '84 but the handbrake is a PITA to use for 'on-the-fly bootleggers' since it is on the door sill with just barely enough room to slip your fingers around. It puts you in a bad driving position.
Besides, you should have enough power in your car to stomp the brakes, cut the wheel and mash the gas and have it 180. :lildevil:
-Mike

BadCad
12-05-05, 06:36 AM
When I first looked at the V, the lack of a hand brake caused me some concern 'cause I know all about hills and a manual tranny - however, it doesn't bother me anymore once you get used to driving the V. I have no more qualms about the handbrake vs footbrake issue and am glad I did get the V. Don't let that issue stop you from getting a V... :yup:

Besides, you can always make noises like you have a handbrake... :xgrin:

V Amazed
12-05-05, 11:55 AM
you really need a handbrake to get up a hill? comeon...i understand they're steep, but I drive on steep hills where I'm at too, and its not a problem. Using a parking brake to keep from rolling back is cheating. BTW, the reason there is a footbrake not a handbrake is the same reason the cupholders are located where they are. Because GM wasn't thinking about a stick when they designed the interior of the car. <rant> Its so damn obnoxious trying to shift with drinks in the cupholders...they get in the way of the shifter. </rant>

Ben

ak6ar
12-05-05, 12:09 PM
I had the same initial concern when looking at the V in that it has no hand brake. After driving one for a bit I can say it's no major loss, and I like the arm rest there instead. Of course I will say that having the cup holders being so close to the shifter means when drinks are there it does annoy me.

If you are on a steep hill, and can heel-toe then why would you need a handbrake anyway :hmm:. If you can't heel toe (and really in this car with the brake pedal/accelerator where they are it's quite easy) you should really learn how.

a64pilot
12-05-05, 12:48 PM
You know I must be old, But every thing that I drove as a kid with a manual tranny had a parking brake just like the V. It was only the little furrin cars that had a hand brake. Ever seen a truck with a hand brake?

lasstss
12-05-05, 01:16 PM
You know I must be old, But every thing that I drove as a kid with a manual tranny had a parking brake just like the V. It was only the little furrin cars that had a hand brake. Ever seen a truck with a hand brake?

I agree completly, I dont know what the big deal is with this. Its certainly not an inconvenience and you can put more ass on it with your foot anyway!
One less thing to clutter up the console. The only screw up really was putting the handles next to each other.

If a suicide turn is needed, hold the release and stomp the pedal.......

rand49er
12-05-05, 02:48 PM
Did you make vroom noises and everything? I got to know...:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: Sorry, I would have responded sooner, but I fell off my chair and have been laughing for hours and hours ... stop it, Chris ... stop it ...

Luna.
12-05-05, 02:51 PM
I have thick skin, just like KFC!!! LMFAO:cookoo:

Yah i am in the market for a CTS V but am not sure if i can handle a manual without a handbrake. My other choices are the Audi S4 and the BMW M3. Wat do u guys think???:alchi:

TY in advance

While I agree no handbrake is fairly lame, it's just not that big a deal at all. In other words, don't even let that minor annoyance even remotely stop you from getting one.

MCaesar
12-05-05, 03:42 PM
First Mustang with a handbrake: 1979 (I don't know and don't care if the Mustang II had one).

First Camaro/Firebird with a handbrake: 1982

First GTO (pontiac, that is) with a handbrake: 2004

First manual transmission Mopar Musclecar with a handbrake: Still waiting

I've rarely used the handbrake on a hill, unless the clown behind me stops an inch from my bumper. It is fun if you want to do some dramatic tailslides, I suppose, but that is kind of silly unless you are filming a chase scene. It would be nice to have, but there are more important things that I would like to see the General focus on first.

First STS-V that could actually beat a 300C SRT8 or E55: Still waiting