: Looking for CTS-V feedback on ownership happiness

TracerHawk
12-04-05, 03:24 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to get some feedback from you CTS-V owners as I'm considering buying a 2006 CTS-V myself. All the complaints and the sheer number of "wheel-hop" threads I came across when researching the vehicle here really threw me off. I guess I expected to find more gushing like I see on the S4 and M3 car forums about their cars and less complaints, so it made me a little nervous about this car now, which I was hoping would "be the one" for me! I really like the design and was impressed by all the specs.

Of you 04 - 06 CTS-V owners out there, would you guys purchase the CTS-V again, knowing what you now, all the highs and lows of the car? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated regarding your CTS-V experience and if you would do it again or if you have major concerns or if its all worth it. Dont worry about any comparisons to any of the other cars, as I know the highs and lows of those vehicles intimately already, but I have limited CTS-V info. I'm still doing tons of forum reading now on the CTS-V, but I'm looking for any CTS-V ownership info and experiences from you owners that you can share. It would really help me to know if you would do it all over again or would you make a different decision, would you recommend this car to you friend or are there too many minor/major issues not being fixed/addressed that make you wish you would have went another route.

I realize that being on a cadillac forum, most of you are probably enthusiasts so I'm likely to get a biased answer, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway and appreciate the responses.

Thanks in advance guys!

heavymetals
12-04-05, 03:33 AM
Go drive one and then try to convince yourself that you don't want it.

Wheel hop?

Not a complaint here, but I don't drive it that hard off the line.

Would I buy one again?

YES:D

crowan
12-04-05, 03:57 AM
If the Corvette is the best 2-dr performance value on the market, the V is the best 4-dr bang-for-the-buck. It is a fantastic luxury hotrod with unbeatable handling.

Wheelhop? Not a problem unless you can't resist performing hard launches and clutch dumps more fitting for NOPI Tunervision than a $50K performance sedan.

Would I buy another one? You bet!

CR

TracerHawk
12-04-05, 04:09 AM
I'm fine with not performing hard launches and clutch dumps, I don't drag race and am not planning on tracking it. It would be a daily driver, but I'm sure I would drive it "strong", but I wouldnt be doing launch control from every red light or anything. As long as I can accelerate aggresively, then I'm good, maybe show some friends the power of the engine without wheelspin, show them my 0-60 power etc without doing some embarrassing wheelhop or whatever, etc.

Thanks for the responses, keep em coming!

Also, anyone know offhand if employee pricing discounts can be used for the CTS-V (my grandfather was an engineer at Cadillac for 40 years, so I can get some sort of employee pricing, I think it was called S-type but I may be wrong on that part, but either way I dont know yet if that includes V cars like the CTS-V).

Mutlu
12-04-05, 04:11 AM
I never launch my car that hard where I have complaints about the wheel hop. I track my car regularly and everytime I go I am amazed how well this car handles and how damn fast it is. I used to own a E46 M3 and test drove the new S4 before I got my V. The V just feels so much faster and you get all the creature features with it without having to dish out a whole lot more for options that should come with those cars already.

Seriously just go drive it and you'll understand.

A couple of things they could have done better are the big steering wheel and the truck like hand/foot brake. But you get used to those things right away where it doesn't bother you that much anymore

I have 10k miles on mine and have not had any problems with it at all. Tires seem to go pretty quickly but that's probalby more from tracking the car than anything else.

heavymetals
12-04-05, 04:17 AM
Check this link for discount information available:

https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/ip-gmemployee/

My biggest complaint is the location of the brake and hood release.

feline
12-04-05, 07:33 AM
She's -SEXY-SEXY-SEXY!!! When I am at a red light other drivers "really" stare at the car (I know they are NOT staring at me). I have had a new battery replaced and a radiator -- Don't run it hard or haven't taken it to the track, No rear end noise at all so no problems there. I ONLY have 2600 miles but every mile has been a JOY!!! Only problem here is that my Husband Hates the fact that it is a 4-door and now he wants a VETTE.
YES, I think you should get a "V".
Ginnie

rand49er
12-04-05, 08:45 AM
Ten months and 14k miles with no problems. I echo the challenge to go drive one. You just plain don't get tired driving a V ... it generates excitement each and every time you get behind the wheel. What else costing 50k does that? :yup:

benh
12-04-05, 09:53 AM
Even on the verge of doing the winter tire change-over, absolutely NO complaints and would do it again in a heartbeat! It is a true sports car with 4 doors and I come home every night (after working in a job I love to hate) with a huge smile and sometimes I wish the commute were longer especially on the twisties. I have expericienced very little hop and no other issues in over 8kmiles.

dqw1
12-04-05, 10:20 AM
I've had my 04 since May of this year. No wheel hop of rear diff whine and i don't really launch that hard bc this is daily driver and I can't afford to be without my ride. No major repairs-just the battery and 3 tire pressure sensors-all replace under warranty. If you don't plan to do hard launches you SHOULD be ok. This best I can tell is to get an 06 that not being used for test drives.
I would love to buy the next gerneration V. Good luck.

keeksv
12-04-05, 10:23 AM
I'll probably never sell this car.

ew

Closer_2001
12-04-05, 10:25 AM
I think it was called S-type but I may be wrong on that part, but either way I dont know yet if that includes V cars like the CTS-V).

It is called GMS (GM Employee Pricing). The price is printed on the invoice and should be about 3-4% below the published invoice on KBB, edmunds, etc. Should be about $48k on a loaded V.

You also can take advantage of an GM rebates. Currently, if you do a Smart Buy Cadillac is kicking in $1900 in Down Payment Assistance. You don't have to complete the program, so you may always refinance at any time.

And...I would definitely buy another V. I wouldn't count on your dealer really understanding the car or being able to treat you properly (the imports guys still have Caddy beat), however, the car is a phenomenal machine that can be made that much more enjoyable with tasteful mods discussed herin.

Koooop
12-04-05, 10:36 AM
The car is a blast! Get one, you won't be sorry. With the update kit the wheel hop is no big deal. You will spend less time in the shop with the V than a M3 or an S4. All of them are a blast, but the big fat V8 rocks!

GT04CTS-V
12-04-05, 10:45 AM
The V is a blast. I never thought I'd buy a Cadillac. But, I made the mistake of driving one and was hooked.

The biggest problem with owning a V is finding a dealer with a service department that is V knowledgable. The thing that turns most owners away are dealers who know nothing about the car and try to blame problems on aftermarket parts.

IMHO - Don't drive one, if you do, you'll buy it. Find a dealer with V friendly service department.

GT

stkshkr
12-04-05, 01:39 PM
Had a new Tbird with many mods (330hp) and loved the car, never thought I would sell it. Followed the V with great interest. My grandson and I were killing time and he suggested we stop at the Caddy dealer and look at one, so we did. Smart salesman, after sitting in the car looking for awhile he suggested we test drive it and didn't come along. Three or four minutes later the expression on my face said it all, I told my grandson " I've got to have this car" he was grinning and said " I knew that would do it". Three days of negotation and it was mine. Love the car and would do it all again :2thumbs:
DRIVE ONE!

2004ctsv
12-04-05, 02:05 PM
DO NOT BUY THE CAR

IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE (CONCURRENTLY)
1. rice boy competition
2. beemer and MB competition (all models from $30K to $250K)
3. vette and viper competition
and worst of all
4. $120K car for $50K

Between the trolls and whiners, most of the threads on this board have become boring.

If you do ignore my advice, support the FAQ. That's where the useful info can be found.

But do your due diligence first. Know what the hell you're buying.

Tony

BTW - the only problem I have had was a battery that my security system was running down. So Cadillac gave me a new battery (not really needed) and I don't store my security fob in the garage any more.

Dreamin
12-04-05, 02:16 PM
Love the car... no complaints.

crowan
12-04-05, 02:25 PM
DO NOT BUY THE CAR

IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE (CONCURRENTLY)
1. rice boy competition
2. beemer and MB competition (all models from $30K to $250K)
3. vette and viper competition
and worst of all
4. $120K car for $50K

Between the trolls and whiners, most of the threads on this board have become boring.

If you do ignore my advice, support the FAQ. That's where the useful info can be found.

But do your due diligence first. Know what the hell you're buying.

Tony

BTW - the only problem I have had was a battery that my security system was running down. So Cadillac gave me a new battery (not really needed) and I don't store my security fob in the garage any more.

:werd:

Well said Tony. I'm beginning to think we need a separate Whiners Forum for people who believe that their V should be a perfect luxury/road race/super stock/drift/rally car when it rolls off the showroom floor.

If I see one more wheel hop tread, my head is going to explode. News Flash: The V is not the General Lee.

CR

verbs
12-04-05, 02:46 PM
I love the car except the rear end/suspension is a piece of shit. This is a sports sedan and I like to drive my cars the way they are meant to be driven. This car was tested on the Nurburgring for a reason.

The rear end crap is enough to keep me from getting another one. I had mine replaced at only 3300 miles with 90% highway driving.

TracerHawk
12-04-05, 03:28 PM
great, thanks for all the replies so far guys! I'm going to try to get in over the next couple days and test drive one, maybe even this afternoon. I'm surprised none of you wanted a car a little lighter or a little shorter. The car seems ideal for me, although a good deal longer (over a foot) than both the M3 and the S4, and heavier too. Of course, I'm single with no children, so maybe its just me not really caring or needing a car all that big/long, and not the CTS-V is, either, but I guess when looking at it in terms of length to the M3 or S4, it definitely seems kinda long.

Also I tried building a CTS-V on the cadillac website and researched a few other sites, it appears the cars are fully loaded for that price, the only option at all really is the Performance Shock Absorber Package for $1260.00 (worth getting, right?), and the Goodyear Eagle EMT run-flat tires. I probably wouldnt get these runflats unless you guys have had good experience with them and recommend them. Seems like a lot of people really like the GSD3's, which I'm assuming are not runflats. Does it matter what wheels and tires I get, or is the best thing to just keep whatever is standard on the car when you buy it, and when they run out, then buy GSD3's?

Also, seems like the performance shock absorber package is a good thing to get based on threads. I wonder if on the 2006 it's still worth the buy.

Last question, how helpful do you think the dealers will be with someone who is going to buy using employee pricing? I have to think they won't make much money on the deal at all, so Im wondering if the sales reps or dealers really have much incentive in teaching me about the car and spending time with me in checking it out, versus someone off the street.

heavymetals
12-04-05, 03:35 PM
The runflats have lousy life but great traction (when dry).:eek:
I never got a flat so can't tell ya anything about that feature.

slow35th
12-04-05, 03:40 PM
great, thanks for all the replies so far guys! I'm going to try to get in over the next couple days and test drive one, maybe even this afternoon. Also I tried building a CTS-V on the cadillac website and researched a few other sites, it appears the cars are fully loaded for that price, the only option at all really is the Performance Shock Absorber Package for $1260.00 (worth getting, right?), and the Goodyear Eagle EMT run-flat tires. I probably wouldnt get these runflats unless you guys have had good experience with them and recommend them. Seems like a lot of people really like the GSD3's, which I'm assuming are not runflats. Does it matter what wheels and tires I get, or is the best thing to just keep whatever is standard on the car when you buy it, and when they run out, then buy GSD3's?

Also, seems like the performance shock absorber package is a good thing to get based on threads. I wonder if on the 2006 it's still worth the buy.

Last question, how helpful do you think the dealers will be with someone who is going to buy using employee pricing? I have to think they won't make much money on the deal at all, so Im wondering if the sales reps or dealers really have much incentive in teaching me about the car and spending time with me in checking it out, versus someone off the street.

The only other option is the Sun Roof, unless that is Standard on the 2006's. The F1 Runflats became an option in 2006, the were standard equipment on the the 04-05's It is a pure performance tire and handles great but life is short. Both options are runflats. Goodyear has been supplementing the cost of new tires for the short life of the F1's. I'll let Big Jim tell you how crappy the GSA's are. If it were me I'd definately go for the F1's over the GSA's.

calicadi
12-04-05, 03:43 PM
Love my V. It's a pure joy to drive; around town, cruising freeways and in competition. It is the best luxury performance car in it's price range, hands-down. Yes, you can get more luxury and/or performance for tens of thousands more. And yes, you can get equal performance for less, with driving ammenities that are crude by comparison.

I'm coming up on the second anniversary of my '04. Zero (0) faults. This includes a season of SCCA Autocrossing. The mods I've done are primarily to keep me competitive, not to re-engineer a mistake. There have been three minor factory recalls and a battery replaced under warranty.

Dennisscars
12-04-05, 03:59 PM
Love my V. It's a pure joy to drive; around town, cruising freeways and in competition. It is the best luxury performance car in it's price range, hands-down. Yes, you can get more luxury and/or performance for tens of thousands more. And yes, you can get equal performance for less, with driving ammenities that are crude by comparison.

I'm coming up on the second anniversary of my '04. Zero (0) faults. This includes a season of SCCA Autocrossing. The mods I've done are primarily to keep me competitive, not to re-engineer a mistake. There have been three minor factory recalls and a battery replaced under warranty.

:yeah:

Same here, I've been to the big track at least 5 times and no problems, it's hard on tires but I bought a set just for that and expect them to be consumables.

I drive like I have to drive it to work on Monday, not like it's a rental. I also do not buy every part that is advertised in every catalog. My motto leave well enough alone.

TracerHawk
12-04-05, 04:11 PM
great, thanks for all the comments guys, keep em coming! Its nice to see most of them were positive. It's sounds like an amazing car to drive, and I'm looking forward to my test drive more and more with every read of all these posts!! From everything I've read on the forums, and having never driven one, if I could think of any changes at all to this car, I think I could only think of 2 (besides maybe making the car a little shorter, and a little lighter, but neither of those are big deals).

1) MP3 playability built in to the car. This would be nice, seems like the 2006's still dont have MP3 playability yet? No real excuse for this IMO. I'd much rather have it built in than have to create some sort of workaround for it.

2) Bluetooth built in to the car. I know you can probably buy an aftermarket kit and try to get it set up, but would be nice to have it fully integrated into the car already.

And of course, if they fixed the wheelhop, sounds like this would alleviate 80% of the complaint threads in this forum. It also sounds like this problem has been around since the 2004's??? If so, and the hop is still evident in the 2006's, Im really surprised that GM hasn't addressed and fixed the problem, a full 2 years later! http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/sad.gif Adding the GM Bushings to help minimalize the hop sounds like a partial band-aid fix, but then there are threads about all the creaking/snapping/groaning of the bushings and having to lube them up constantly, so it seems like its just trading one annoying problem for another.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments on your owner satisfaction with this car. Its definitely at the top of my list and a strong probability that after I can get in there for a test drive, this may be my next vehicle here very soon!

Thanks everyone!!

heavymetals
12-04-05, 04:31 PM
Tell us what you think after you test drive/buy one.

:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

GT04CTS-V
12-04-05, 05:15 PM
If you drive one - you'll buy it :cool2:

GT

Dave's V
12-04-05, 05:28 PM
I loved my V but not as a daily driver. I have arthritis so trying to move the V in heavy traffic is bad.

People mention something bad about this car and they call in whining. I'm hoping Cadillac reads these threads so they can fix the car.

$50k is a lot to spend on a car that needs new tires in around 10-14k, frequent trips to the dealer to repair interior parts that fall apart (that there isn't a fix for), a rear end that definitely is a whiner, wheel hop, rattles, clunks, leaking radiators, bad wheel alignment from factory, real poor resale (better make sure you will keep it for 3 years), 3 year old NAV disk, etc. The main thing I didn't like about the car is because the word ABUSE comes up so frequently while at the dealership (even if they just hint at it). It seems like they run out to the car hoping to find mods so they can deny your claim, no mods then they look at your run flats that are almost gone at 12k and say you abused the car. This car can't even do what Cadillac advertises, unless you feel like replacing the clutch real soon. They consider that abuse anyways.

Given all of those things I still LOVED my car but not as a daily driver. But then you ask why most people love the car and its because of the power. Take out the power and very few people would put up with the V's headaches

But I had to sell the V due to health reasons, otherwise I would probably still have it instead of sucking up a 33% depreciation in the first year.

Luna.
12-04-05, 05:54 PM

Wheel hop?

Would I buy one again?

Complete agreement.

The '06 has a much stronger differential, so that would give me more piece of mind. The wheel-hop is annoying regardless though.

I am also NOT fond of the F1 tire-wear, but they do grip well.

I'm fine with not performing hard launches and clutch dumps, I don't drag race and am not planning on tracking it. It would be a daily driver, but I'm sure I would drive it "strong", but I wouldnt be doing launch control from every red light or anything. As long as I can accelerate aggresively, then I'm good, maybe show some friends the power of the engine without wheelspin, show them my 0-60 power etc without doing some embarrassing wheelhop or whatever, etc.

In my mind, your concerns should go down considerably if you want an '06 CTS-V.

crowan
12-04-05, 06:08 PM
I loved my V but not as a daily driver. I have arthritis so trying to move the V in heavy traffic is bad.

People mention something bad about this car and they call in whining. I'm hoping Cadillac reads these threads so they can fix the car.

$50k is a lot to spend on a car that needs new tires in around 10-14k, frequent trips to the dealer to repair interior parts that fall apart (that there isn't a fix for), a rear end that definitely is a whiner, wheel hop, rattles, clunks, leaking radiators, bad wheel alignment from factory, real poor resale (better make sure you will keep it for 3 years), 3 year old NAV disk, etc. The main thing I didn't like about the car is because the word ABUSE comes up so frequently while at the dealership (even if they just hint at it). It seems like they run out to the car hoping to find mods so they can deny your claim, no mods then they look at your run flats that are almost gone at 12k and say you abused the car. This car can't even do what Cadillac advertises, unless you feel like replacing the clutch real soon. They consider that abuse anyways.

Given all of those things I still LOVED my car but not as a daily driver. But then you ask why most people love the car and its because of the power. Take out the power and very few people would put up with the V's headaches

But I had to sell the V due to health reasons, otherwise I would probably still have it instead of sucking up a 33% depreciation in the first year.

Wow. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?:ill:

As for my '05 with 11,000 miles:

No rear diff problems;
No tranny problems;
No interior pieces falling off;
No leaking radiator;
No clunk or wheel hop that I can't drive around while still enjoying the car's high performance abilities;
No rattles;
No problem with tire wear because I don't expect much from high performance tires, driven hard;

That may not be everyone's experience, but it has been mine. That's what warranties are for.

I have a great dealer (Lindsay) and if I can't quite re-create a 4.7 0-60 time listed in GM advertising, I will find a way to console myself.

Finally, a V without the power is called a CTS, and they sell pretty well.

Just my .02.

CVP33
12-04-05, 06:12 PM

No rear diff problems;
No tranny problems;
No leaking radiator;
No clunk or wheel hop that I can't drive around while still enjoying the car's high performance abilities;
No rattles;
No problem with tire wear because I don't expect much from high performance tires, driven hard;

That may not be everyone's experience, but it has been mine. That's what warranties are for.

I have a great dealer (Lindsay) and if I can't quite re-create a 4.7 0-60 time listed in GM advertising, I will find a way to console myself.

Just my .02.

Crowan,

You are in fact the minority. Not just with your lack of service issues but also with having a GREAT DEALER to work with. I know, I drove 3 and a half hours to have James @ Lindsay work on my V. Can't say enough good about those guys. :cool:

crowan
12-04-05, 06:21 PM
Crowan,

You are in fact the minority. Not just with your lack of service issues but also with having a GREAT DEALER to work with. I know, I drove 3 and a half hours to have James @ Lindsay work on my V. Can't say enough good about those guys. :cool:

I think the dealer quality problem is the most serious issue to address. It can have such a fundamental negative effect on one's ownership experience that it dwarfs everything else. Some of the dealers are just criminally stuck on stupid.

I can get my car fixed by professionals without a hassle. If I had to drive to Virginia Beach to accomplish that, I might have an entirely different view of the V experience. Good service is everything.

CR

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-04-05, 06:37 PM
I wanted an American, high performance, differentiating style, high tech, room for 4, manual trans, preferably 4 door, decent quality, at least fairly exclusive, cool yet mature car. There was no other choice....still ain't.

Could be better though - that's a fact.
Only complaints:
F**king Clunk
Hop (very rare)
Fear of snow (ain't had any yet)
Method of attachment for lower exterior body components.
The fact that I CAN'T HELP blowing past EVERY FART driver who somehow manages to be on the road just to hold me up.

Regarding dealer - the only ones worth a damn that are knowledgable enough to be of much value are those who will provide that same service regardless of the deal.

Dave's V
12-04-05, 07:57 PM

No rear diff problems;
No tranny problems;
No leaking radiator;
No rattles;

Just my .02.

Great Ms Crowan, consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Please notice that I sold my V due to my health and most of the problems I listed have many threads about people "whining" about their car.

CTS is selling good for around $10-15k less. I actually got to follow a CTS today driving over a small mountain pass in some slush. Of course I was around 10-15 cars behind him. The guy looked like he was in his 30s.

crowan
12-04-05, 08:20 PM
Great Ms Crowan, consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Please notice that I sold my V due to my health and most of the problems I listed have many threads about people "whining" about their car.

CTS is selling good for around $10-15k less. I actually got to follow a CTS today driving over a small mountain pass in some slush. Of course I was around 10-15 cars behind him. The guy looked like he was in his 30s.

Dave:

If you considered my post to be a flame at you, that was not intended. I was making the point that not everyone has had any or all of the problems that you listed. Anytime I own a car that is reliable, or I have a dealer who can easily fix things that break under warranty, I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones. In the case of the V, I have both. :highfive:

As far as whining is concerned, I referred to the multitude of wheel hop threads that have become tedious and illogical. I've made my point on that issue and won't beat that dead horse again.

Good luck with the new purchase.

CR

lasstss
12-04-05, 09:18 PM
The rear is a pain in the ass!:violin: So what.

Best bang for the buck on the planet, expecially for you guys buying now. I paid full boat. I still get crazed when I drive it!

roadracerx72
12-04-05, 09:25 PM
Of course, I'm single

buy the car and see what happens next:cool2:

Dave's V
12-04-05, 09:31 PM
Crowan,
I kind of figured out you weren't flaming me but I thought I respond the same way.

Like I said, if it wasn't for my arthritis or if I was fortunate enough to be able to afford 3 cars I would have kept the V. I will most likely buy another Cadillac (probably a V someday) or a Vette but not as a daily driver.

I am disappointed with a few things on the car that was mentioned in many threads before this one. A $50k car should not have come to the market with the problems I mentioned if Cadillac did some real world testing on the car. Maybe a 321 ft/lb torque rating on the rear dif should have given them a clue. As a daily driver, IMO those "normal" problems get irritating.

I wish everyone the best with their V or Cadilliac for that matter. It is the first American sedan that attacked the best from Europe. Five years ago that wouldn't have happened.

Take care.

Dave

rodster111
12-04-05, 11:42 PM
I purchased my 2005 V new in October of 2004 and the only problem I have ever had with it is that the tire pressure monitoring system was non-functional the day I picked the car up. It took several visits to Rider Auto in State College, PA, where I purchased the car to get it working and they had the Cadillac tech services people scratching their heads for a while before finding the problem to be a defective module somewhere that was replaced.

I currently have 6500 miles on the car and have no problems with wheel hop (probably because I don't launch the car to wheel-spin), I have no rear end whine, clunks, or any of the other maladies I read about here, so I guess I should feel fortunate. By the way, Rider Auto has treated me really well from purchase through any service I have ever had to have on the car.

My V has really been exceptionally trouble free, and even though its a little less "Cadillac cushy" than the 98 STS I have in addition to the V, I absolutly love the power, handling, and looks of this car - can't imagine being without it.

Yes, there are a few minor things I would like to see improved/changed/offered on the car, but I forget all about them every time I push the gas pedal down or hustle the car through a curvy road, or just stare at its perfect lines when it's sitting in my garage.

Test drive one and it's practically a given you won't be able to resist it.

ctsvett
12-05-05, 01:50 AM
Despite all the issues, etc... here is what owners have said...

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/survey.html

(there are 3 surveys in the above link... overall satsifaction- 3 or above out of 5- is 96-98 percent on the surveys...)

Reed

TracerHawk
12-05-05, 02:06 AM
interesting read on the survey, thanks Reed!

Skiddles
12-05-05, 05:10 AM
TracerHawk

Unless you're confortable with the Service Dept., don't go for the V. Buying the V is easy. It's the V backing of your service dept. that counts for this wonderful and special car. If you have not already, insist on a tour of the service dept. meeting with the writers and technicians (with an oportunity to ask questions). You'll be able to find out real quick if they know the difference between a 'V' and a cts.

Good Luck

NIK
12-05-05, 10:17 AM

Wheel hop?

Would I buy one again?

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!

NIK
12-05-05, 10:27 AM

No rear diff problems;
No tranny problems;
No leaking radiator;
No rattles;

Just my .02.

AGAIN, MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!

a64pilot
12-05-05, 12:05 PM
TracerHawk

Unless you're confortable with the Service Dept., don't go for the V. Buying the V is easy. It's the V backing of your service dept. that counts for this wonderful and special car. If you have not already, insist on a tour of the service dept. meeting with the writers and technicians (with an oportunity to ask questions). You'll be able to find out real quick if they know the difference between a 'V' and a cts.

Good Luck
Bingo, the weak link is not with the car, but with the dealer network that seems not to know what to do with a performance car or the type of person that drives them.

lawfive
12-05-05, 12:23 PM
I'm guessing that Jessica Alba is fairly high-maintenence, too, but once you take your first ride... :thumbsup:

TracerHawk
12-05-05, 02:10 PM
well, bad news so far. I took today off work and called around to go test drive a 2006 CTS-V. There are 5 Cadillac dealers through the Phoenix area here and the surrounding valley, which were: Legends Cadillac in Scottsdale, Lund Cadillac in Phoenix, Coulter Cadillac in Phoenix, Kachina Cadillac in Scottsdale, and Coulter Motor Company in Tempe.

Not 1 of the dealerships had a single 2006 CTS-V on the lot. :nono: I would highly prefer to deal with Legends Cadillac, since they are by far the closest dealership to my house, but would travel to any of the others.

When I called in to Legends, I somehow lucked out and got the GM, Jon Wacker who happened to answer the phone and was able to help me (I asked for the internet fleet manager, but he said he could help me). Really nice guy, but not knowledgeable at all on the CTS-V's. He wasnt aware the new 2006's CTS-V's were even coming with the LS2 engine, and he also didnt realize a couple options are standard now on the 2006 CTS-V that were an option on the 2005 (sunroof, for example). He then said that it would be hard to test drive one unless I wanted to drive a 2004 or 2005 (he had 1 used one of each on the lot), they each had several thousand miles, but I told him I'd like to drive a 2006 and check out the new engine and see exactly what I'd be getting. I know there aren't really any huge changes in the 2005 to 2006 year, but still, I don't think its too much to ask to test drive a new one with any minor cosmetic changes and the new LS2 engine and probably a better differential, than say a 2004 or 2005.

He said the reason no one here in Phoenix or the whole Valley had one, is because Cadillac is restricting the supply of them to try to keep resales values high and improve the value of the new ones by restricting supply. He said rather than producing and selling like 15k of them they would produce/sell 7k of them, effectively limited the supply to drive up the price or keep it strong. I got the impression he was clearly guessing with these 15k/7k numbers, and sort of just pulled them out of the air not to be the specific sales numbers, but rather show that they were producing like half as many CTS-V's this and limiting production to keep price strong on them rather than "flood the market"

After the first couple of things he told me in the paragraph above, I clearly think this is just BS, and he isn't lying, but he just doesn't know. I then asked him how someone could be expected to buy a 50K car without test driving it first or without ever even sitting in it, and asked him if he had any suggestions or did he want to call me when he got one in, or should I just go back to checking out other cars, like BMW's (which is what I currently own and is also the car I had before that). He said the best thing to do is to just give him a deposit and order one, and then check it out and drive it when it comes in, and if I like it, proceed with the contract, and if I decide I don't want it then, they will refund the deposit. While this seems fair, it also seems silly I have to buy/order/put down a deposit on a car, just to see if I like it or not and check it out. I asked him if I did this, how long would it take, and he said it takes 8-12 weeks. UGH! Just to test drive a car, I have to put down a deposit and order it! Granted I can get my money back if I dont like it, but its like paying for a test drive, and then standing in like for 2-3 months! I told him I'd call him back and let him know, but I'm really disappointed that in here in Phoenix, the 5 largest city in the entire US, there isn't 1 single CTS-V anywhere here in the valley that I can drive to and then check out and take out on a test drive.

I'm pretty disappointed and disillusioned right now; I just don't see how they expect people to order a product and have to put down a deposit, without being able to check it out and examine it and see if its the one they want first. :( It has to be hard enough to attract buyers from BMW, Audi, and even Lexus, but without even having a product to check out, its no wonder they are having a hard time catching up and competing. :nono: It's really hard to cross-shop the CTS-V with the M3 and the S4 when you can't even get a test drive, I have to think they are needlessly losing some sales. :(

Verbs: (or anyone else from Phoenix/Scottsdale area) I saw you were from Scottsdale, which dealership did you buy your CTS-V from and which do you have it serviced at? Any recommendations of these dealerships here in town? I was hoping to buy/service at Legends, but dont know anything at all good/bad about them.

beers
12-05-05, 02:23 PM
Just over 10,000 miles on it now, and no problems whatsoever. Never been to the dealer - no rattles, squeaks or wines. Still an absolute blast to drive...

crowan
12-05-05, 02:52 PM
TracerHawk:

Well, you just had your first experience with one of the many clueless Caddie dealers. Too many of them have no clue about the V series that they are selling and are reduced to spouting BS that they believe sounds good. Its true that the V is a limited production car, but Casillac doesn't sell anywhere close to all that they build, so the idea that you have to pay MSRP without a test drive, as though you are reserving an Enzo, is a "create-some-buzz sales stratagy that is a fantasy some dealerships actually believe. Its bad enough that many salesmen know nothing about the car, but you will find the same problem with many service techs. Forget about using the most convenient dealer. Find the nearest competent dealer and you will enjoy your ownership experience. Otherwise, buyer beware. Go to the Dealer Rank page of http://www.cadillacfaq.com/. Lund is highly rated and is defintely performance oriented. There are several Arizona owners who can give you first hand info. GM has done a much better job of producing hi-po macines than training its dealer network on how to sell and service them.

The '06s have been slow to reach the showroom. That is a reality, but that should improve very soon.

The good news is that the car is worth the hassle of finding a good dealer. (I've found Mercedes dealerships to be far worse than Caddie.) Soon there will be plenty of 06s to be test driven, and deals to be had. Its all good.

CR

verbs
12-05-05, 03:13 PM
Verbs: (or anyone else from Phoenix/Scottsdale area) I saw you were from Scottsdale, which dealership did you buy your CTS-V from and which do you have it serviced at? Any recommendations of these dealerships here in town? I was hoping to buy/service at Legends, but dont know anything at all good/bad about them.I flew out to Dalllas to get mine. Seems Legends Caddy is clueless about the V's. I will probably try Lund next time as they spend a decent amount time doing aftermarket stuff for the V's, so I figure they must know their shit.

TampaV
12-05-05, 03:58 PM
TracerHawk -

I can't believe none of those dealers has an 06 CTS-V on order for stock. I would suggest calling each of them to find out what they have incoming. The 06 cars just started shipping recently, so the pipeline is filling slowly. I also recommend driving one of the 04 or 05 cars. The 06 is still rated at the same horse power and won't feel much different. A side benefit from driving a used one is that you will get to feel what the car feels like after it has some miles on it. The differential upgrade won't be a dramatic change compared to the 04/05 car.

I just bought an 05 in early September. I have owned a 2002, C5 Z06 and was convinced after having that car for four years that the CTS-V was the right move for me. I wanted the same driveline, but in a car that would accommodate more than one passenger. The CTS-V has met all of my expectations. The revised differential, radio controls in the steering wheel and the larger displacement LS-2 engine are all pluses in my mind. I have driven the C6 Corvette with the LS-2 and it feels just fine compared with my C5 Z06 with the LS-6.

Go drive one of those 04 or 05 cars they have on the lot and see if you like it. If so, you will like the 06 too.

heavymetals
12-05-05, 04:09 PM
Whats the problem?
Go test drive an 04 or 05.
If you can resist buying the 05, then order an 06 with the same previous conditions.
I mean after all, you are trying to decide if you even want the car right?

Go test drive one then report back.

Ya gotta work for something you want.

keeksv
12-05-05, 04:56 PM
Yeah, take the 04 or 05 for a ride, windows down, and blow the sales guy's toupee off of his head...then try to resist buying your 06...:stirpot:

verbs
12-05-05, 07:39 PM
Just based on the rear end drama with the 05's I'd wait for the 06 in retrospect.

Harley Guy
12-06-05, 02:19 PM
I just posted a thread today saying that I am selling the V, but that has everything to do with changes in my life and nothing to do with any dissatisfaction in the V. I have loved this car. In fact if I have a problem with the V it may be that I love it too much. It started off as a daily dirver and over time became my prize possion that I only drive on perfect days. Never in the rain and off the road once any salt starts to be used. I bought a Jeep just so I could keep the V garaged for the winter.

Buy the V... Love the V and drive the hell out of the V.:thumbsup:

SwampFox
12-06-05, 06:06 PM
Tracerhawk

http://gmbuypower.com/

Look here for availability in the area. There are 4 in the general area now.

TracerHawk
12-06-05, 09:38 PM
Nothing in Phoenix or the surrounding valley, including Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Sun City, Glendale, Awatuckee, etc etc etc.

I checked out the 4, but those are in Henderson, Nevada, or Tucson, AZ, nothing close by.

I'm going to check out the 2005's, a dealership in town hear has one that has a 2005 CTS-V with only 2200 miles on it, so if it does great, then Im sure the 2006 can only be better. :)

V400HP
12-06-05, 10:51 PM
Whatever you do donít buy this car!!!!

I donít want the competition.:duck:

Seriously, I also considered many other cars, including just buying a Vett. Like you I did my due diligence. YES the wheel hop/rear end issue is concerning. Iíve had my ďVĒ for only 1 month and put over 2,000 miles with no problems, as of yet. With 22k miles left on the warrantee, hopefully if the car has any issues it will happen before then.

But considering Iím not a drag racer it should not be an issue.

I couldnít find anything in the price range (used 2004 20k miles for $34,000) with this much power, performance, appearance and with a 6 speed manual!!!

The old M3ís donít have enough power, the new M3/M5/M6 are too expensive and the Audi is just ugly.

I think itís the best buy for the money.

Hopefully Iíll feel the same a year from now.:hmm:

TracerHawk
12-07-05, 09:44 PM
Took my lunch hour off today and went and test drove a 2005 Red CTS-V at a dealership here in Phoenix, it was slightly used, had a little over 2200 miles or so on it.

The internet sales lady was very nice, somewhat knowledgable about the car, more than I expected for being there only 6 months from an Acura dealership.

The car looked great. I was surprised that after only a few months, it had swirls on it from a bad car wash or something, especially since the car was red and that doesnt tend to show swirls as much as say black, but they were clearly there. She pressed a lot to try to get me to take an interest in buying this one, even though I repeatedly told her I would want to get a black one, a 2006 with the LS2 engine, and either a gray or black interior (undecided about that). She wasnt exactly offering me a good deal by any stretch either, which I'll go into later, below.

Overall, I was impressed with the inside of the car! It was very nice and had a good feel to it. The seats were great and very comfortable, sunroof was cool, I checked out all the buttons and options. Radio seemed good. The display where the navigation and radio and all that is sort of big, almost shouts out at you. The backseats were great too, I sat in the front, set up my seat to how far back I would want the drivers seat if I were driving, and then climbed in the back, and there was a good amount of room, certainly more than in the M3 and S4. Trunk was nice too. Lots of good features around the radio/dvd/navigation/cd etc. Disappointed in no integrated bluetooth and no integrated mp3 player in the 2005 nor the 2006's, but more the mp3 than the missing bluetooth. The mp3 seems a little more annoying

Also, the outside of the car looked great in person for style and design. I was happy that it actually didnt seem all that long. I really don't want a "mid-sized Sedan", so I was a bit leery when I saw the CTS-V was 191 inches long, but the Audi S4 was 180 inches and the BMW M3 was 177 inches. That stuck out in my head as "uhhh, this car just might be too big overall for me", as I really dont haul lots of people around, single and no kids, so typically any passenger is likely to be in the front seat like a buddy or girlfriend. The interior was a wood reddish design, which was okay, and looked good with the red/garnet exterior of the car, but I wouldnt get it on a black car.

Driving the car was good. I expected it to be amazing though. It was strong, and it took a little getting used to the 6 speed versus the 5 speed in my BMW. Also, it was clearly a strong V8 and you could hear a little bit of the rumble, and felt like one too. It handled well, especially for a 3800+ lb. car. The acceleration was good and strong, but I wasnt able to do all that much with it as I had the internet sales lady riding in the car with me and didnt want to freak her out. It felt good, but I really wanted to test its limits more which I didnt, so Im a little disappointed in that. Another area I was surprised was the visibility. It was excellent out the front and sides, and actually the front seemed like it was shorter than I expected, maybe thats coming from the long bulbous hood of a bmw. I really liked it though, which was good.

Also, I dont plan on drag racing or revving it to 7K RPMS and dropping the clutch, so Im hoping the wheelhop issue is next to none on the 2006 *crosses fingers*

Its funny that I had the sort of opposite reactions that I was expecting. I expected it to be just a little too long for my tastes, and too much of a "mid sized sedan", however in person it was way better than expected and seemed just about right. I think a black car would show even better and appear to be even a little shorter than a red car, which is good. Also the front end visibility was excellent, interior was better than expected from what Ive come to see in GM Cars, hopefully it holds up well over time. And the thing I expected to amaze me which didnt, was the engine. I was a little underwhelmed actually, and I dont know how. Im attributing it to the fact that I couldnt let the car go "all out" really with the internet sales lady in the car. I did accelerate full throttle from 1-2, and it clearly has power. I guess I was expecting that "throw you back in your seat and grin ear to ear" sort of experience out of a 400/400 engine. Again though, I think this is because I didnt get to fully experience the engine, or maybe its just that the ride is smooth enough that you dont notice the accereleration as much. The gear ratio also seemed pretty short. I think if I buy one, I would definitely get the performance shock absorber package and UUC shifter, Corsa exhaust, etc.

Overall, I came away with a good to great feeling about the car. OH! And no wheelhops noticed whatsoever, but again I didnt get to push the limits of the car really at all, so if it DID wheelhop, I would have been disappointed. I did full throttle it a few times in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but no raceway lets see what I can do 0-60 in or whatever.

Other small piece of bad news, while they have 0 2006 CTS-V's in the entire Phoenix area and surrounding valley, they have 4 "nearby" supposedly, which are 100 to 250 miles away. However, in calling around, while they are listed as having one on the gmbuypower website, they dont truly have the cars yet. :mad: They are ALLOCATED one and its in production, but they arent there yet and arent even finished being built, and dont even have VIN numbers assigned to them yet. I thought maybe I could buy one from this dealership and they do a car swap with the other dealership and such, but its seems like that is sort of far-fetched. I'm going to explore other options though, waiting 2-3 months for an ordered car is a long time to be in anticipation if I go forward, although I may have to do it unless I can find one closer or get mid-production that isnt already pre-sold.

Mat347
12-07-05, 10:28 PM
The '06s will already have the new bushings in which get rid of most of the wheelhop. Also, they will have the magnetic shocks(option maybe). I highly suggest getting these. The CPU monitors the shocks ~60 times a second and adjusts the viscosity of the fluid with electromagnets according to your selected parameters (sport/soft buttons). I wish my '04 had these.
The 06's also get the beefier rears. Time will tell if they still blow. I also think the runflats are an option now...DON'T get these! Mine wore in less than 10K...it's my daily driver so It was about 95% highway cruising.

heavymetals
12-07-05, 10:42 PM
Glad you finally got around to a test drive.:thumbsup:

You should have opened it up though as it is sold as a performance car.

Still if you saw enough to convince yourself that it is doable then that's ok.

You know your DOOMED if your already thinking about mods :canttalk:

crowan
12-07-05, 10:59 PM
And the thing I expected to amaze me which didnt, was the engine. I was a little underwhelmed actually, and I dont know how. Im attributing it to the fact that I couldnt let the car go "all out" really with the internet sales lady in the car. I did accelerate full throttle from 1-2, and it clearly has power. I guess I was expecting that "throw you back in your seat and grin ear to ear" sort of experience out of a 400/400 engine. Again though, I think this is because I didnt get to fully experience the engine, or maybe its just that the ride is smooth enough that you dont notice the accereleration as much. The gear ratio also seemed pretty short. I think if I buy one, I would definitely get the performance shock absorber package and UUC shifter, Corsa exhaust, etc.

After driving a Z06 with headers and hi-flow cats, I found the V to feel tame, in part because the stock exhaust is so quiet. I was like eating a prime steak with a mouth full of novocain. When I had my dealer install the Corsa (a GM option at the time), it was like unleashing the LS6 motor. You can hear it and you can feel it in the seat of your pants. It is like having a different vehicle.

Corsa is no longer a GM option, but Magnaflow may be (I could be wrong).
Definitely get an exhaust to fully enjoy the car. If you get the Corsa, nix the shocks and get a PCM tune to eliminate the aftermarket exhaust burble and pops. The tune also programs out the CAGS and greatly enhances the V's performance.

CR

TracerHawk
12-07-05, 11:20 PM
awesome, thanks for the tips Crowan! I've heard good things about the Corsa. Anyone have any .wav clips of what a few of the more popular exhausts sound l like?

I gotta find someone local here in AZ that can give me a few rides in their CTS-V and show me whats what! :D

benjet
12-08-05, 02:30 PM
The '06s have the magnetic shocks(option maybe). I highly suggest getting these. The CPU monitors the shocks ~60 times a second and adjusts the viscosity of the fluid with electromagnets according to your selected parameters (sport/soft buttons). I wish my '04 had these.

Where do you see that?

benjet
12-08-05, 02:32 PM
Btw, I am not sure I would do the V again (sad to say) but then again I'm on the fence about what if anything else is better @ similar price point.

urbanski
12-08-05, 02:36 PM
Where do you see that?
sounds like nivomat description to me dude
but i've not heard they added a driver adjustable setting for them lol
maybe on a benz

benjet
12-08-05, 04:13 PM
sounds like nivomat description to me dude
but i've not heard they added a driver adjustable setting for them lol
maybe on a benz

based on the CPU comment it sounded like the Vette's MagnaRide.

ctsvett
12-08-05, 05:22 PM
The magnaride is a typo on the website.. the 06 has nivomat's...

I have not heard of any options

Reed

Mat347
12-08-05, 09:18 PM
Where do you see that?

I read it somewhere...maybe the website??? I'll see if I can find a link, I just remember reading it and saying "damit!" first, then "how much to retrofit" next.

a64pilot
12-09-05, 09:23 AM
Why nix the FG2's? I've driven with and without. The V is a better road course than drag race car and the FG2's enhance the twisties.

CTSV05
12-09-05, 10:21 AM
Well, coming in very late on the thread, I'd still like to add my thoughts.

The original question.....Do I like the V....Nope....LOVE IT!

Would I buy again, HELL YEAH! I'd own 2 or 3 if I had the cash!

Does the car have any disappointments? A couple, but I addressed the major one, (which if you are considering any mods, be sure your dealer doesn't have a rat for a service manager), with my kit.

Do we still enjoy driving the V? Only everytime we start her up!!!

Now with the '06 diff, my confidence level has risen greatly and driving has become much more fun again!

As stated before, no car is perfect, the best we can hope for is good customer support from the dealers and the factory, this is where I see the challenge for GM.

BadCad
12-09-05, 01:00 PM
magnetic shocks(option maybe).
These will not be available on the CTS series - V or otherwise. They're only offered on the higher-end STS and XLR series. They do tremendously improve handling on these cars though. Had a chance to drive a V8 STS with these and road grip/stability was outstanding on tight curves. I was told the CTS was not a 'high-end' enuf car to qualify for this option, if you can belief that. Just one more example of GM marketing savy. :cookoo:

TracerHawk
12-28-05, 04:16 PM
A64pilot, you said you've driven the CTS-V with both the performance shock absorber package as well as the regular shocks? Can you tell me your take on both? I'm assuming the FG2 performance shock absorber package is well worth the money, but havent been able to drive one yet to see how harsh the ride is with it vs. without it, so I'd be interested in your take. A dealer here is getting in a 2006 CTS-V, but no shock absorber package...