: The Cadillac of...

Jesda
12-03-05, 11:50 PM
I just heard Adrian Monk say it on a recent episode of "Monk", USA Networks' show about a germaphobic detective. He was referring to a first aid kit he gave to a little girl as a gift.

Do you guys still hear this phrase being used? Its been a while for me. I used to hear "The Rolls Royce of.." quite often but not so much lately.

Frost
12-09-05, 10:39 AM
It's used alot up here - Cadillac of systems, cadillac of Cableplants, Cadillac of lawn mowers - you name it, there's a "Cadillac" version of it around here somewhere!

And what really pisses me off is that it is said in a kind of derogatory manner, like you're being some kind of boor for wanting to get that level of a product, like you somehow don't need that level of service, or whatever. It's probably a jealousy thing, anyway. they can't afford it, so they dump on it.

The *******s,,,,,,,,

mccombie_5
12-09-05, 01:47 PM
I hear more the Rolls Royce of......

But then again, most of the buying public here have never seen a Cadillac

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-05, 02:18 PM
I hear "the Cadillac of...." not as much as I used to but I still do once in a while

FSU_Noles
12-09-05, 04:37 PM
I often hear, "why pay for a Cadillac-XXX when a chevy-XXX will do"

Elvis
12-09-05, 05:44 PM
I've always used that phrase. People still know what you're talking about, even if the brand isn't what it used to be.

gdwriter
12-09-05, 06:02 PM
Best use of this phrase, from Get Shorty:

Rental Car Bus Driver: Here's your rental car.
Chili Palmer:What's this?
Driver: It's an Oldsmobile Silhouette.
Chili: I ordered a Cadillac.
Driver: It's the Cadillac of minivans.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-05, 06:10 PM
Best use of this phrase, from Get Shorty:

Rental Car Bus Driver: Here's your rental car.
Chili Palmer:What's this?
Driver: It's an Oldsmobile Silhouette.
Chili: I ordered a Cadillac.
Driver: It's the Cadillac of minivans.

Oh yeah, I remember John Travolta saying that

mccombie_5
12-09-05, 06:15 PM
I remember hearing something similar in another film. I dont think tt was Get Shorty though.

Wasnt the Olds silhouette that awful Pontiac Trans Sport thing?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-05, 06:19 PM

Yes, that and the Lumina APV also.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-09-05, 06:19 PM

Spyder
12-09-05, 06:28 PM
I don't remember what movie it was,but some girl said something along the lines of "wow, this is a nice car, this is like the Cadillac of automobiles!"

and it was funny.

mccombie_5
12-09-05, 06:41 PM

There was another? Friggin hell. The bad old days.

It did improve a bit after they stuck Bonneville headlights on them. Theres one round here somewhere.

eldorado99
12-09-05, 07:49 PM
I don't remember what movie it was,but some girl said something along the lines of "wow, this is a nice car, this is like the Cadillac of automobiles!"

and it was funny.

Reminds me of on the Simpsons when Krusty the Clown endorses the "Canyonero" SUV and he tells the audience that "The Canyonero is the Cadillac of automobiles." :histeric:

Spyder
12-10-05, 05:12 AM
HAHAHA!!! I've got the "Canyonero" song on my computer!!!

"can you name the truck with four wheel drive, that smells like a steak and seats forty five. Well it goes real slow with the hammer down, its the country fried truck that's endorsed by a clown. Twelve yards long, two lanes wide, sixty five tons of american pride. Top of the line in utilities sports, unexplained fires are a matter for the courts. She blinds everybody with her super high beams, she's a squirrel squashing deer smacking driving machine. Canyoneroooooooo..."

SpeedyArizona
12-10-05, 02:00 PM
It's a bit different down here. Cadillac's are extremely common (mainly from all the old snowbirds) so when someone says, "It's the Cadillac of..." it doesn't really mean too much. On the other hand, when someone says, "It's the 1970 Plymouth R/T 426 HEMI 'Cuda Convertible of..." it automatically registers in most peoples' mind that this car is the krem de le krem of automobiles.

Spyder
12-10-05, 02:39 PM
That'd be a plymouth, sir. :)

SpeedyArizona
12-10-05, 03:12 PM
That'd be a plymouth, sir.

I was going to say Dodge Challenger but then decided of Plymouth 'Cuda. I guess there isn;t such a thing as a Dodge 'Cuda....yet :D.