: GTO Shift Knob and Boot

Slywun
12-03-05, 10:19 PM
Ordered from 'down under' and received today. I believe there were others here that ordered from the same place. Look and feels awesome; now if I can just figure out how to install it....it comes with it's own half shaft "thingy"....
doing a search now...

Staxxin
12-04-05, 12:04 AM
It's good to hear the are arriving... I've waited to order mine due to all the issue with the Aussies.... Now that I hear all seems well... I'll place my order.

Slywun, are you installing on stock or short shifter? I'm interested to know how one is pairing this with UUC shifter.

Good Luck with your install!!!!!

Slywun
12-04-05, 10:51 PM
It's going on an UUC (from Lindsay). Hopefully by Friday...

donut
12-05-05, 12:37 AM
I'm also interested in the shift knob and boot, but I'm sure the group buy is over. Maybe if there's enough interest (with everyone getting their UUC 's), we can have another before X-mas. I know BadCad set-up the last one. Maybe he wouldn't mind setting-up another or posting the dealer's info.

BadCad
12-05-05, 05:24 AM
Since the dealer is not a supporting vendor, I don't feel right in posting the vendor's contact information publicly. :shhh: Send me a PM or email me and I will provide the information, or you can contact any of the members who've received their shift knob and they can provide you with the information. To the best of my kowledge, the vendor has not restricted the time limit.

Also, since I haven't received my shift knob yet, I can't comment on the installation procedure yet. My shift knob was returned to the vendor due to a mailing error! :hmm:

SBONES
12-05-05, 08:00 AM
i didnt get mine yet...he said 10 days...its only been like 5...post install pics when you guys are done...

Slywun
12-05-05, 11:24 AM
The install isn't at all straight forward. The GTO knob comes with a half shaft attached that you have to remove the knob - it on there pretty firmly. The trouble is that the shaft for the V is a larger diameter so won't easily fit in the GTO knob hole. I'll let you know how it turns out....

An excerpt from another post
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55302&page=2&highlight=GTO+Shift+knob

"Ok…hears my story on the shifter.
I drove a GTO with this knob and boot on it and thought it had to be the same (or close). GM usually crosses’s everything over into different car lines. I could not get a good deal in the states on the shifter and wound up purchasing it off Ebay from Australia. Paid $40.00us for Shifter & boot as a unit, brand new in the box. In Australia this kit is known as the “short shifter kit” for the GTO Monaro. This kit ships with a shorter mounting shaft attached.

After pulling off the knob from the shaft, I soon saw that the knob was a different mounting. The GTO knob has no “click on” mounting like the V. But, the shaft of the GTO is a hair smaller than the V. The GTO knob is held in place with a small bump around the bottom of the shaft. First I thought I would pull the V shifter shaft and weld a small ring around the base. By laying a bead of weld around the base and grinding it down I could achieve the same mounting as the GTO.
But, once I started to play around with the idea of just press fitting on the knob….this mounting method started to look much more promising. In order to achieve the same height(or a ½” lower) I cut a ½ inch out of the shaft. Then I used a pinch of silicone on the shaft and pressed it on.
Now I’m not talking about just pushing it on, you have to us a large vice or have a 250-pound friend push it down. At first I was worried about the knob working it’s way lose, but after getting it on, I’m more worried how the hell I’m going to get it off:D …. As for the boot, it’s real leather and matches the interior perfectly!!!! All I did was trim the bottom with scissors to mimic the factory boot.
Again, this is not a simple swap…..But with 1hour worth of effort, you’ll be extremely happy..............

BadCad
12-05-05, 12:29 PM
My approach would be to simply find a split-ring metal bushing to take up any difference between the two different diameters of the shafts. Also, attach the new boot to this bushing if the bushing is long enough so as to protrude from the knob. If desired, you can even attach the bushing with a set screw to the shaft to ensure it doesn't slip off if you're one of those hard shifters.

But I haven't received the shift knob yet so this is pure conjecture. I would not even think of modifying the existing shaft, UUC or otherwise. Too much trouble.

Slywun
12-05-05, 01:34 PM
Badcad, actually that seems like a very reasonable solution. (It's just like me to overcomplicate things). Although, I am concerned about the shifter height vs. stock so, we'll see.

BadCad
12-05-05, 04:41 PM
Slywun:
I just installed the UUC this weekend - SOTP judgement, the UUC stalk seems to be just a little bit shorter then the stock shifter when installed... I would not think you'd need to shorten the stalk anymore. But if you want to overcomplicate the process..... :hammer: :hammer:

BTW - if you got the Lasstss-designed bushings, they were a bitch to install on the shifter rods/arms! Installing those took longer then installing the whole UUC... :banghead: Anyone have this problem or is it just me?

lasstss
12-05-05, 06:05 PM
You have to lube them and then wipe it off. If you do it dry its a bitch (like a lot of other things)! I dont do the shifter in the car, it can be done but I find its a pain. YMMV

BadCad
12-05-05, 06:12 PM
now you tell me.... :helpless:
i guess i am just not as wordly. i do try to lube things up usually when needed, but didn't think of it since i was alone and doing it myself. something to keep in mind though :histeric:

SBONES
12-05-05, 07:34 PM
do i need to take the shifter out of the car...how em i going to get this done...im stumped...:confused: :hmm:

BadCad
12-06-05, 12:38 AM
do i need to take the shifter out of the car...how em i going to get this done...im stumped...

watcha trying to do? put in a UUC shifter or replace the shift knob?

SBONES
12-06-05, 07:50 AM
i ordered the shift knob from australlia and boot....i want to install it on a stock shifter..

Slywun
12-06-05, 09:13 AM
i ordered the shift knob from australlia and boot....i want to install it on a stock shifter..

You shouldn't have to pull the stock shifter out to change shift knobs. I'm doing my install (UUC and shift knob) on Thursday, so I'll post more then.

SBONES
12-22-05, 08:08 PM
just got mine in the mail today....can someone please tell me how to get this puppy on...:worship: I tried pulling it off and i couldn't.

JOEYCTS-V
12-22-05, 09:09 PM
How long did it take to receive the shift knob?

SBONES
12-23-05, 08:14 AM
it took 10 days...yo slywun did you get it on, and if so how...please, please, please...someone help me get this on..thanks

BadCad
12-23-05, 12:45 PM
sbones:
got the shift knob a few days ago in good order - but i've been way too busy to play with it 'cause of year-end work. i put it away for now and hope to install it after new years.

Slywun
12-24-05, 12:30 AM
it took 10 days...yo slywun did you get it on, and if so how...please, please, please...someone help me get this on..thanks
Put on the UUC shifter (awesome!!!) and tried to put the GTO shift knob on but the best I could get it on made the shifter height approximately 2" taller that the stock knob. Tried everything with the exception of cutting the shifter shaft (as recommended in an alternate post). For now, I've got the new boot and stock shifter knob, but I'm using a set of files to increase the GTO knob bore. It's working but is going very slow.

SBONES
12-24-05, 08:58 AM
please keep me posted....i would like to get this done after xmas....thank you so much for your feedback...scott

Slywun
12-29-05, 08:28 PM
Ok, finally the new shifter knob & boot is on and I'm very happy with the result, although it was certainly not as straight forward as I had expected.
In a nutshell, the GTO knob comes mounted on its own shaft that needs to be removed, and once removed, you'll notice the diameter of the bore of the knob smaller than the stock CTS-V knob.

A quick recap:
I performed the install at the same time I got the UUC shifter from Lindsay Cadillac (Thanks Guys! AWESOME!!!). Stock shifter knob height (measured in neutral from the top of the knob to the top of the console) was just under 5" (about 4.75"). When I first installed the GTO knob and boot, it was 7" (felt like shifting a mack truck) and the boot was stretching to it's limits and hampering shifting in 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear.

I re-installed the stock knob and new boot and proceeded to do the following....

1. Lithium grease; yeah right, don't waste your time
2. Considered cutting the shifter shaft; but couldn't get myself to cut the new UUC shaft
3. Ball peen hammer, towel, and block of wood :banghead:; needless to say - not recommended. Actually scratched up the knob, but hardly noticable.
4. Using hand files to open the bore up more; while made progress, it was painfully slow.
5. Went down to Sears; bought a $12 9/16 drill bit and drilled out the bore of the new knob and used the hand files to taper the bore. In total it took about 1/2 hour.

Some other tips:
There is a white plastic sleeve inside the bore of GTO knob which is very easy to drill but be careful to not remove too much.
The 9/16 bit is slightly smaller than the shifter shaft (5/8 would be way too big).
I made a mark on the stock shaft at the bottom of the stock knob with the knob installed. Then, I removed the knob and used the marked shaft to help me determine how much further I needed to go on the drilling/filing of the new knob by periodically positioning the new knob on the shaft to see how far to the mark I was.

Hope this helps.....

alcast082
12-29-05, 09:08 PM
:bonkers: it sounds like it was harder to install than the uuc
but it looks way better than the custom one.\
I still want one:devil:

Slywun
12-29-05, 09:14 PM
Yes it was; the UUC was straight forward (about 1 hour). I'll take some pictures of the new knob and post them...

Staxxin
12-29-05, 10:08 PM
Slywun,

Did you need to use anything to secure the GTO knob or was the fitment tight enough after drilling/filling?

Slywun
12-29-05, 10:21 PM
Did you need to use anything to secure the GTO knob or was the fitment tight enough after drilling/filling?

No, it was still pretty snug - for me. I think the tapering helped.