: Helppp

mlg
12-03-05, 10:09 PM
bought 04 v from a chevy dealer love it have new gsd3 and am salivating to install but have no lug nut key local caddy dealer tried to remove tires w universal key set to no avail i have no key code card which is needed to get replacement key as per FAQ ctsv website help pleaseee

ctsvett
12-03-05, 10:32 PM
The dealer should be able to look up your VIN and tell/order you the right key.

Reed

OldRoadDawg
12-03-05, 10:49 PM
After you get a wheel lock key:

If you are currently running the GY F1 "Extended Mobility Tires" (runflats) make sure the dealer has the equipment to remove the tires from the rims.

mlg
12-03-05, 11:03 PM
what dealer should be able to help me??? my local caddy dealer service officer was clueless and worthless. i wasted 2 hours of my saturday while they dicked around and walked away w zero accomplished a name and phone number would be greatly appreciated thanx again. btw im in ne TN near asheville nc

beers
12-03-05, 11:06 PM
I had the same problem. Go to Mcgard.Com or you can call them at 1-800-444-5847. I ended up e-mailing them a couple of digital photo closeups of my wheel lug area and for $14.99 they sent me out a replacement key. Very easy.

wildwhl
12-03-05, 11:47 PM
And now for the hack option.

Get yourself a 12 point 1/2" socket, 13/16" if I recall (though it may have been smaller). Hammer it onto the wheel locks and use a breaker bar to take them off. Once off - use a drift punch to remove the lock from the socket. Repeat on the other 3 wheels. Throw locks in the garbage (or keep them if you wish)...or just go buy another set of locks with the correct key for ~$20:

http://www.autobarn.net/mcwhloandlug.html

Just a thought - not that I've ever had to do that or anything (friggin' tire shop lost the wheel key after they mounted my snow tires on the spare rims, since snow was inbound I became creative).

If the socket is a Craftsman piece - you can have Sears replace it for free should you damage it :D

keeksv
12-04-05, 10:45 AM
And now for the hack option.

Get yourself a 12 point 1/2" socket, 13/16" if I recall (though it may have been smaller). Hammer it onto the wheel locks and use a breaker bar to take them off. Once off - use a drift punch to remove the lock from the socket. Repeat on the other 3 wheels. Throw locks in the garbage (or keep them if you wish)...

This is exactly what I did.

The dealer where I bought the car sent me a new set of locks (they had lost the original key and didn't know what to do), and they're sitting in my trunk currently. Can't imagine that there is great demand for a 6-bolt pattern on the street, but hey, I live in the middle of nowhere....

Rey
12-04-05, 11:26 AM
I applaud Wildwhl's solution. It is a traditional method of breaking wheel locks. But it is a bit tricky for the inexperienced. These alloy wheels scratch easily.
I think the better solution is to take it to a big tire dealer who does this every day. They usually have a special hardened socket that is designed to remove wheel locks. This socket has spiral locking grooves in its interior that grasp the round wheel lock's exterior.

wildwhl
12-04-05, 01:01 PM
You're correct, Rey...but you know gearheads like me. Why would I let somebody else break something when I can break it myself :cookoo:

By the way - I threw the socket out too. I just couldn't bring myself to apply the Craftsman guarantee on something I intentionally misused...guess it must be karma and self preservation at work ;)

Dreamin
12-04-05, 02:21 PM
Dumb comment: did you check the spare tire compartment in the trunk... the key could have been left their by the previous owner...