: Killer Jeep's Competitor

Sandy
12-03-05, 07:48 AM
http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/1/article_id_int/592

Katshot
12-03-05, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I saw that a while ago. I must admit it "looks" sweet but $40 large for Trailblazer?! Yikes! But I can live with that if the performance is there. Unfortunately, it seems like it won't be.
It sounds like Chevy obviously realizes they have a problem with the platform because they seriously de-tuned the output of the LS2 in this application. On top of that, if the numbers are even close, the 6.0 Liter Trailblazer SS will get SMOKED by the 6.1 liter Jeep SRT-8. The 0-60 times are a full second apart. That's a lot IMO.
So, Chevy does it again. Throws more trash on the SS name. What a shame.

Playdrv4me
12-03-05, 11:43 AM
I think we should hold off til some real world tests can be done before we call this one finished. It might just end up surprising us.... Not likely mind you... but Im with the camp that thinks these are too close to call.

SilverCTS
12-03-05, 12:13 PM
I really like that, but I promised myself I'd never get one of those (Chevy Blazers) again...

Sandy
12-03-05, 12:21 PM
I believe that the Trailblazer has a lowered ride height, resulting in a lower center of gravity. I think the SRT-8 is standrd ride height. I also believe that the Trailblazer is overall somewhat lighter in weight, which is another advantage.
Performance excluded, personal opinion of mine is that overall I like the looks of the Trailblazer alot better than the Gr Cherokee. Especially in the front which appears smoother. Have never been excited with the new(er) style mis-matched size headlights on the G.C. nor the gaping hole under the front bumper fascia on the SRT-8. I think the Trailblazer looks purposeful and nasty, in a good kinda way. 'Ya, I really like it ! Red Tag pricing on the thing cannot be beat ! $7,000 less than a Gr. Ch. for 1 second less 0-60 I can deal with!!

Katshot
12-03-05, 01:30 PM
I agree the Trailblazer SS looks great. Maybe even better than the Jeep, but I have not been real impressed by the overall quality of the Trailblazer ever since it came out.
Still, my biggest issue would have to be the apparent lack of performance. I agree that we won't know anything for real until it comes out but IMO, 1 second is enough in the 1/4 mile let alone in a 0-60 sprint. I mean hell, that's close to the difference between my FTS and a CTS-V, and in my book there's a HUGE difference between MY car and a CTS-V.

Playdrv4me
12-03-05, 01:46 PM
Your right, that is alot of time to make up. I prefer the JGC over the Trailblazer style and reliability-wise though. The Trailblazer has never been to my liking.

Sandy
12-03-05, 02:22 PM
so, if I sell my 2003 Town Car Limited (I have a waiting buyer, at $24,000) and I buy a Trailbazer SS, I.....

1) Get kicked off of here
2) Lose all respect
3) lose credability, in all but donut tasting opinions
4) Will never be invited to a Cadillac meet.
5) Have to go into hiding

New Paragraph:

I humbly apoligize for really liking the SS. I think it's very cool looking, has great power and I've never had a problem with Trailblazer quality in the units I bought for my used car lot, back in the day when it was just a "Blazer" ~
To my eye, the SS is sleek and smooth in contours, unadorned with too many bends & curves and - while possibly not as Macho as the G.C. it's more pleasing to me eye. The 1 second means little to me, as truth be told, I don't race anyone. The 400 HP / 400 TQ. is plenty for me. If, (I am not yet convinced, but If {it IS possible} that the G.C. is faster it'sokay with me. It's also $7,000 MORE $$.

I have found a loaded upon loaded one in stock. Sadly it's black, and I'd like white with black leather, but I think on Tuesday I will go & sniff it. (Tomorrow if the snow holds off).
I am willing to bet that it can & will blow the doors off ANY six cylinder Taurus....my goal ! :p

Sandy
12-03-05, 03:00 PM
Here is what I found, IN STOCK, yet !
'06 Trialblazer SS
Adjustable Pedals / SS Package / Memory Seat / Heated Power Ext, Mirriors with buil-in Turn Signals / Heated Seats / Theft Deterrent / Head Air Bags / Pwr. Moonroof / Bose XM Stereo & single Slot CD with Navagation / Rain Sensing Wipers / Cargo Shade / Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System / Leather Seating / Dual 8-Way Power Seats / Pwr. Lumbar / Leather Steering Wheel with Audio Controls / Rear Seat Audio & HVAC Controls / Split Rr. Seat / Driver Information System / Auto Climate Control / Cargo Mat / Ashtray & Lighter / 4-Wheel Drive / LS2 V-8 / P255/50R20" Rims V-Rated Tires / 20x8" Cast Aluminum Polished Wheels / Tire Pressure Monitor / Limited Slip Axle / 4.10:1 Axle Ratio / Performance Seats / Chrome Exhaust Tip /
Ebony Black with Black Leather & White SS embrioardy on Seats & Mats.
MSRLP is $ 43,845.00 Can buy it for $ 37,400 with Red Tag Deal. Can sell Town Car with 7,700 miles for $ 24,000 = Difference of $ 13,400 + $ 2,250 Sales Tax, or around $ 15,700 in "new" money..... 'Ya think ?

The SRT-8 adds $7,100 with less options (No DVD) Am I too OLD for such a toy ? Will I lOOk as dumb as a Senior in High School in a Buick LeSabre ??

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-03-05, 03:21 PM
To my eyes the Jeep looks better.
More upmarket.

Sandy
12-03-05, 04:30 PM
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/02images/02sema/trailblazer_ss.jpg

Playdrv4me
12-03-05, 04:43 PM
Sandy... I think youll look just fine behind the wheel of a TrailBlazer SS... If you like it thats all that counts. I saw a very nice older lady yesterday driving of all things... a Lexus IS, the kiddie tuner car!

Sandy
12-03-05, 05:39 PM
;) I ALWAYS admire a really good car salesman/woman :yup:

iametarq
12-03-05, 06:06 PM
I just saw a Trailblazer SS today on the road! it looked cool. it was in black. probably the only color it'd look good in with that front bumper style.

Randy_W
12-03-05, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I saw that a while ago. I must admit it "looks" sweet but $40 large for Trailblazer?! Yikes! But I can live with that if the performance is there. Unfortunately, it seems like it won't be.
It sounds like Chevy obviously realizes they have a problem with the platform because they seriously de-tuned the output of the LS2 in this application. On top of that, if the numbers are even close, the 6.0 Liter Trailblazer SS will get SMOKED by the 6.1 liter Jeep SRT-8. The 0-60 times are a full second apart. That's a lot IMO.
So, Chevy does it again. Throws more trash on the SS name. What a shame.

Well Katshot, again you've stated a lot of things as fact, that just aren't so. It's fine to present facts as facts but not to present opinions as facts.
First, the engine isn't "detuned", the firewall prevented use of the GTO/Vette intake and they were forced to design one that is slightly less effecient, that's a fact not an opinion. Second 9 horsepower isn't "seriously detuned" in any case. By the way, maybe DCM has realized they have serious issues with the Grand Cherokee, since the SRT-8 version has been seriously "detuned" to a huge 5 less horsepower than it's SRT stablemates. The 0-60 times are GM mfg's estimates, which are notoriously conservative and based on the awd version, the 2wd version based on Silverado performance between 2wd and awd could easily be .7-.9! We won't know how well either performs until we get a few in people's hands. Next the TB has a 6500 lb tow rating for awd and 6700 for the 2wd, (Which by the way the GC doesn't offer), much more than the GC. That would be important to me, since my Donzi weighs 5800 lbs. on the trailer. AS for the TB, Envoy, et al having serious issues that would require detuning, what are they? The SS is lowered, has bigger brakes and much more on road handling tuned suspension.
As an example of the platform, last April 15th, my wife and daughter were broadsided in my wife's '03 TrailBlazer by a 40,000 lb firetruck that was going 50 mph. The TB was spun around into a telephone pole and then spun across a yard for over 100'. It didn't roll over, since it was a side impact the airbags didn't deploy. After the wreck, none of the doors would open due to damage on every panel. The floor was buckled in the middle and popped the console out. With all this damage the crumple zones worked perfectly and both walked away with minor injuries. MY wife now owns an '04 Bravada and loves it as well. I'm sure the Jeep is a great vehicle, we've owned several as stated in another thread, however I can't imagine it being that much better, especially considering the cost difference. Not trying to start a new war, but these are the kind of things that precipitated the last one.

Katshot
12-04-05, 06:57 AM
so, if I sell my 2003 Town Car Limited (I have a waiting buyer, at $24,000) and I buy a Trailbazer SS, I.....
1) Get kicked off of here
2) Lose all respect
3) lose credability, in all but donut tasting opinions
4) Will never be invited to a Cadillac meet.
5) Have to go into hiding
New Paragraph:
I humbly apoligize for really liking the SS. I think it's very cool looking, has great power and I've never had a problem with Trailblazer quality in the units I bought for my used car lot, back in the day when it was just a "Blazer" ~
To my eye, the SS is sleek and smooth in contours, unadorned with too many bends & curves and - while possibly not as Macho as the G.C. it's more pleasing to me eye. The 1 second means little to me, as truth be told, I don't race anyone. The 400 HP / 400 TQ. is plenty for me. If, (I am not yet convinced, but If {it IS possible} that the G.C. is faster it'sokay with me. It's also $7,000 MORE $$.
I have found a loaded upon loaded one in stock. Sadly it's black, and I'd like white with black leather, but I think on Tuesday I will go & sniff it. (Tomorrow if the snow holds off).
I am willing to bet that it can & will blow the doors off ANY six cylinder Taurus....my goal ! :p

LOL!
Sandy, think of it this way, at least you'll be moving from a Ford to a GM product. That should make you MORE welcome here if anything!
And as for the thing about the 6-cyl. Taurus, you'll probably be okay as long as that particular 6-cyl. doesn't happen to be in an SHO! ;)
PS. If anybody's going to bust your stones, it might be your son since he drives a Jeep.

Katshot
12-04-05, 07:20 AM
Well Katshot, again you've stated a lot of things as fact, that just aren't so. It's fine to present facts as facts but not to present opinions as facts.
First, the engine isn't "detuned", the firewall prevented use of the GTO/Vette intake and they were forced to design one that is slightly less effecient, that's a fact not an opinion. Second 9 horsepower isn't "seriously detuned" in any case. By the way, maybe DCM has realized they have serious issues with the Grand Cherokee, since the SRT-8 version has been seriously "detuned" to a huge 5 less horsepower than it's SRT stablemates. The 0-60 times are GM mfg's estimates, which are notoriously conservative and based on the awd version, the 2wd version based on Silverado performance between 2wd and awd could easily be .7-.9! We won't know how well either performs until we get a few in people's hands. Next the TB has a 6500 lb tow rating for awd and 6700 for the 2wd, (Which by the way the GC doesn't offer), much more than the GC. That would be important to me, since my Donzi weighs 5800 lbs. on the trailer. AS for the TB, Envoy, et al having serious issues that would require detuning, what are they? The SS is lowered, has bigger brakes and much more on road handling tuned suspension.
As an example of the platform, last April 15th, my wife and daughter were broadsided in my wife's '03 TrailBlazer by a 40,000 lb firetruck that was going 50 mph. The TB was spun around into a telephone pole and then spun across a yard for over 100'. It didn't roll over, since it was a side impact the airbags didn't deploy. After the wreck, none of the doors would open due to damage on every panel. The floor was buckled in the middle and popped the console out. With all this damage the crumple zones worked perfectly and both walked away with minor injuries. MY wife now owns an '04 Bravada and loves it as well. I'm sure the Jeep is a great vehicle, we've owned several as stated in another thread, however I can't imagine it being that much better, especially considering the cost difference. Not trying to start a new war, but these are the kind of things that precipitated the last one.

Dude,
Who voted you the "post-police"? Are you nagging everyone else around here, or are you just following me around critiquing my statements?
As for my previous post(s), did you not pick up on my statements starting with words like "seems like" and "sounds like"? All pointing to the fact that my statements were certainly "subjective". I never stated anything as "fact". I did use the article that is referenced in the first post as a basis for my statements, and whether it is accurate or not remains to be seen. You want to hold me responsible for that too? I also mentioned that we won't know anything for sure until the truck is out on the market.
Then the rant about the platform being so great because of how it "allegedly" survived an accident that you have intimate experience with (interesting how you always seem to have a family member who owns or owned the vehicle in question), What the hell does that have to do with my mention of the platform? A Hyundai can survive an accident just fine but I doubt that means the platform can handle 400hp and 400lb/ft of torque. When people speak of the "platform" with respect to how it might be able to handle a specific engine output, I believe it's common to realize they are speaking more directly about the drivetrain, suspension, and frame's ability to handle the stresses associated with the power output, not it's durability in a crash.
Do me a favor and get off my back. I have better things to do than worry about whether my posts will pass muster with you.

Randy_W
12-04-05, 08:23 AM
Again you rant and don't respond to facts, at least I find out your true intention, which is not to state fact but as usual to bash all that is GM. Don't bother to PM me again with your BS about how you just want to be objective and how I pick on you. You know that I will call you anytime you spread this crap!
How is the TB platform such as tranny, differentials, etc... any less capable than the same units used in SS Silverados, Escalades, GTO's and Vettes? You didn't respond at all to the fact that your statement about 'serious detuning', involved the use of as different intake made necassary by the firewall interference and not the drivetrain, and that the Jeep is also "detuned' compared to the other SRT-8's. Instead you start a rant about me picking on you, poor baby!
Stop being self righteous and just admit that your bias against GM gets in the way of honesty sometimes.

I mean you call 9 horsepower seriously detuned in the TB, but don't even address the 5 horsepower drop in the Jeep. Come on 'dude', it has to be one way or the other.

Katshot
12-04-05, 09:05 AM
Again you rant and don't respond to facts, at least I find out your true intention, which is not to state fact but as usual to bash all that is GM. Don't bother to PM me again with your BS about how you just want to be objective and how I pick on you. You know that I will call you anytime you spread this crap!
How is the TB platform such as tranny, differentials, etc... any less capable than the same units used in SS Silverados, Escalades, GTO's and Vettes? You didn't respond at all to the fact that your statement about 'serious detuning', involved the use of as different intake made necassary by the firewall interference and not the drivetrain, and that the Jeep is also "detuned' compared to the other SRT-8's. Instead you start a rant about me picking on you, poor baby!
Stop being self righteous and just admit that your bias against GM gets in the way of honesty sometimes.
I mean you call 9 horsepower seriously detuned in the TB, but don't even address the 5 horsepower drop in the Jeep. Come on 'dude', it has to be one way or the other.

My God, you just never quit do you? If I hadn't used the words "serious amount", would it have made you happy? If so, sorry, I take it back. Whether 9hp and 15lb/ft of torque is a lot or not is certainly up to the person you ask. In my mind it seems to be a decent drop but you feel otherwise. I'm fine with that Randy, really. If there's anyone who rants and doesn't respond to facts it's you though. I think I MORE than explained my statements but you seem to still want to continue to crucify me. I just wish I knew what your problem is. :cookoo:

Randy_W
12-04-05, 09:22 AM
My God, you just never quit do you? If I hadn't used the words "serious amount", would it have made you happy? If so, sorry, I take it back. Whether 9hp and 15lb/ft of torque is a lot or not is certainly up to the person you ask. In my mind it seems to be a decent drop but you feel otherwise. I'm fine with that Randy, really. If there's anyone who rants and doesn't respond to facts it's you though. I think I MORE than explained my statements but you seem to still want to continue to crucify me. I just wish I knew what your problem is. :cookoo:

Then why is it a big deal to you that the h.p. was less in the TrailBlazer, but not an issue in the Jeep, or the fact that they didn't "detune" it at all but used a different intake for packaging reasons? Still you don't answer the question about what is wrong with TB platform, since it uses the same drivetrain parts as other high horsepower models. You make a big deal about how much the Chevy costs, but don't bother to state the fact that the Jeep is considerably more expensive. You make all these claims, then when it's pointed out to you that some are incorrect, instead of just saying, o.k., I could be wrong, you shoot the messenger. Whether the TB will be as fast as the Jeep, I don't know, but the TB/SS is a very nice package and cheap compared to the Jeep.

By the way, I have pics of the "alleged" accident, I will post when my son shows me how, again, hopefully tonight.

Randy_W
12-04-05, 09:28 AM
Here is a link to the wreck, if it works;
C:\Documents and Settings\Randy_2\My Documents\My Pictures\TrailBlazer

Oh well, I tried.

Katshot
12-04-05, 10:00 AM
Then why is it a big deal to you that the h.p. was less in the TrailBlazer, but not an issue in the Jeep, or the fact that they didn't "detune" it at all but used a different intake for packaging reasons? Still you don't answer the question about what is wrong with TB platform, since it uses the same drivetrain parts as other high horsepower models. You make a big deal about how much the Chevy costs, but don't bother to state the fact that the Jeep is considerably more expensive. You make all these claims, then when it's pointed out to you that some are incorrect, instead of just saying, o.k., I could be wrong, you shoot the messenger. Whether the TB will be as fast as the Jeep, I don't know, but the TB/SS is a very nice package and cheap compared to the Jeep.
By the way, I have pics of the "alleged" accident, I will post when my son shows me how, again, hopefully tonight.

This is just another example of how you twist what I say to make me "look" like I'm saying things I didn't.
1. You have a problem with understanding common industry lingo Randy. By installing a less efficient intake (I'm taking your word for it that's what they did), they ARE in fact reducing the state of tune. You need to understand that there's a number of things that can affect the state of tune in an engine. If they had the exact same engine in two different vehicles and used a more restrictive exhaust, or a slightly different PCM calibration, the lower output one could be said to be a slightly "de-tuned" version of the other. No matter what the "reason" or method used might be, the lower output version IS a "de-tuned" version.
2. I never said there WAS anything wrong with the platform, I said I "assumed" that might be the reason for limiting the power output of the engine. The statement was meant as speculative.
3. With respect to the price of the SS, again you're reading things into my statement. I was suggesting that $40,000 was a lot for the SS (which it IS). I was merely giving my reaction to the stated "possible" price in the article (you know Randy, the article this thread is based on). I made no other statements about price. As it turns out, the article was quite wrong concerning the price. I looked it up this morning and the SS is substantially less than the Jeep.

Now can you take a chill?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-04-05, 10:45 AM
Will I lOOk as dumb as a Senior in High School in a Buick LeSabre ??

Hey now! my senior year I had a Buick Roadmaster and my deVille :p

Sandy
12-04-05, 10:59 AM
With every option on the Jeep and every option on the Trailblazer, the Trailblazer is $2,000 less. Figure in the GM "Red Tag Sale" and the SS becomes $just a sneeze under $7,000 less. ($38.00 under $7,000).

I go alot by looks, as I gotta look at it everyday. I have hated the "Oo" headlights on the Gr. Cherokee since they did that, I think last year (2005). I think it's Oh sO ugly! Also do not like (exclusive to the SRT-8 Gr. Cherokee) that big "whale-mouth" opening just under the front bumper fascia. Together, taken as a unit, the whale mouth and unequal sized headlights totally turn me off. When I look at the Gr. Cherokee I see too many flares, bends, ribs, lower (Pontiac of old) style plastic side panels, the aforementioned whale mouth and unequal lights and seemingly just a hodge podge of stuff.
When I look at the SS I see dechromed sides, even to the point of no color keyed side protection moulding, smooth flowing surfaces well intergrated front end, ram air induction, performance style red brake rotors, neat looking 20" rims, etc...it just looks alot better.
The 0-60 or 1/4 mile times are notable, but differances of a second and top end speed mean nothing to me as I am not a risk taker, nor do I drag race (any more :) ) ! I do like "Surprise the _hit outta me passing power bursts, resulting in mental thoughts of "What the heII was THAT" ~
Now...if they'd put the SRT-8 engine into & bring BAACK the CHEROKEE (XJ) of 1984 - 2001 then...... "F" the SS !!

Randy_W
12-04-05, 11:01 AM
1. You have a problem with understanding common industry lingo Randy. By installing a less efficient intake (I'm taking your word for it that's what they did), they ARE in fact reducing the state of tune. You need to understand that there's a number of things that can affect the state of tune in an engine. If they had the exact same engine in two different vehicles and used a more restrictive exhaust, or a slightly different PCM calibration, the lower output one could be said to be a slightly "de-tuned" version of the other. No matter what the "reason" or method used might be, the lower output version IS a "de-tuned" version.

As condecending as that statement is, it has some truth, so
following your own logic then both the Jeep and TrailBlazer have been 'de-tuned'. So why was the Jeep de-tuned?

As for my understanding of things automotive; I think the quality and performance of the LT1/4L60E swap in my '67 speaks for itself. I didn't want to use bandwidth, so I posted a link below.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/toppop52/images/P4210095.JPG

HotRodSaint
12-04-05, 11:14 AM
So why was the Jeep de-tuned?

"It sounds like Chrysler obviously realizes they have a problem with the platform because they seriously de-tuned the output of the Hemi in this application.

So, Chrysler does it again. Throws more trash on the SR/T name. What a shame."

Is this what you want to hear? :lildevil:

Sandy
12-04-05, 11:15 AM
Whoooo Hoooo Hooo can I get THAT in my TB SS ??

HotRodSaint
12-04-05, 11:21 AM
If one is in the market for a high performance station wagon disguised as an SUV, then either of these would be very suitable and neither of them stand out in terms of looks. Both resort to a minor front end redesign, lowering of suspension and big 5 spoke wheels.

Personally I'd rather have an actual high performance station wagon and only Dodge provides that with the Magnum SR/T8 in todays marketplace.

So when will GM (or Ford) be offering an alternative to Dodge?

Rolex
12-04-05, 11:21 AM
Sounds like the Trail Blazer may also be worth a look! I'm not rushing into anything just yet, but I'll definately be looking at these two performance SUVs......even though they're both "drasticaly detuned." :lildevil:

Jumping back and forth between these two threads is making me :bonkers: .

Randy_W
12-04-05, 12:44 PM
If one is in the market for a high performance station wagon disguised as an SUV, then either of these would be very suitable and neither of them stand out in terms of looks. Both resort to a minor front end redesign, lowering of suspension and big 5 spoke wheels.

Personally I'd rather have an actual high performance station wagon and only Dodge provides that with the Magnum SR/T8 in todays marketplace.

So when will GM (or Ford) be offering an alternative to Dodge?

I like the Magnum the best of the Mopar group, but it won't work for me because the last time I looked the Magnum with the Hemi only had a 3800 lb. tow rating. The only one in this whole bunch we've talked about that will tow my Donzi is the TrailBlazer with it's 6800 lb. tow rating. If it won't tow my boat, it's no good to me. That's where the Chevy is different, it can still be used as a truck.;)

HotRodSaint
12-04-05, 01:00 PM
That's where the Chevy is different, it can still be used as a truck.;)

My Fleetwood would tow your little boat, but then it has a Chevy motor! ;)

Randy_W
12-04-05, 01:04 PM
My Fleetwood would tow your little boat, but then it has a Chevy motor! ;)

You're right, if memory serves, your car had a 7500 lb. tow rating with the right gears.:cool2:

My boat has Chevy engines, too, 540 c.i. aluminum head tall decks.

Katshot
12-04-05, 01:33 PM
Sandy,
When are you test-driving one? I might go check them out this week just for S&G's. I must admit, I think I like the looks of the SS better myself but then I haven't seen it in real life yet. That can make a big difference at times.
As for the both of them being slightly down on power vs. their respective siblings, it "could" be a number of things actually. It could be anything from more restrictive intakes and exhausts, to more conservative calibrations in the PCM's. Until we hear it from the OEM, your guess is as good as mine.
As I pointed out in the "other" thread, I still have a mystery to figure out:
On paper, the Jeep should be a little slower and get better gas mileage than the SS but in reality it's apparenty just the opposite. :hmm:
Anybody have a theory on that?

Randy_W
12-04-05, 03:26 PM
Katshot, to tell the truth, it's going to be hard to tell what each package will bring to the table until a few get in hands of real drivers. Mfg's estimates and magazine tests only tell so much. The 6.1 Hemi appears to be a monster, the LS2 can certainly hold it's own, time will tell. It should be fun. :thumbsup:

Katshot
12-04-05, 03:35 PM
No doubt about it Randy. I would still like to know why the two don't stack up in real life the way they do on paper. I know I've "heard" that Chrysler under-states the power figures of the Hemi but still.....
Maybe we'll get answers once the two start getting tested.

Katshot
12-04-05, 03:46 PM
Ya know, I like the Magnum too. I'm just not real hot on the front end. I'm really waiting to see the 300 Wagon Chrysler's building. I saw a picture of it a while ago and it looked real nice. IMO, much better than the Magnum. But if I had my druthers (and a bigger pocketbook), and was going shopping for a wagon there is only one I'd have and that's the E55 wagon. Ya think 469hp and 516lb/ft of torque could pull your boat Randy?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=105529

Randy_W
12-04-05, 03:58 PM
That should do it!:D

Katshot
12-04-05, 04:17 PM
The fact that for the price of one you could have a small fleet of Magnums is just details!

Blackout
12-04-05, 04:22 PM
Randy W at home.....
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6320/randy2la.th.jpg (http://img199.imageshack.us/my.php?image=randy2la.jpg)

Sandy
12-04-05, 04:43 PM
catching up here:

HRS, the Magnum is "out" as I'd really like to have 4WD, and the Mag doesn't offer it in combo with the SRT-8.

Now, to better understand, the Fleetwood has a Chevy motor and it's detuned ?? !!:p

Kat, maybe this coming Friday. Busy 'til then......problem is that I have to finda dealer where I don't know any of the salespeople, and THAT'S tuff to do!! (In case I do not buy, and don't wanna anger a friend......)

I found one "in Stock" not far from me. It the one Ifound on the web, but, it's black. I really prefer not to have Black (always dusty/dirty) But it only comes in Black or White or Silver or Bright Blue. I'd like whte with black leather.

IF I was buying a ~HOT~ car, it would absolutely be a Charger R/T Daytona SRT-8 in that Inferno Red !
But, I am not.

Mercedes is out of the question : It's foreign. I don't do foreign.

Does ANYONE know if there's a bolt-on supercharger within GMs ranks that would be a bolt on to this here Trailblazer SS ?
Do we void Mr. Warrantee by so doing??

Playdrv4me
12-04-05, 06:44 PM
If Im not mistaken the V guys have had dealers install Magnachargers on their LS2's without voiding the warranty, since its a dealer installed item.

Sandy
12-04-05, 07:39 PM
I'd love that! But, I've heard HoRRoR stories of engines "not accepting" such, and messing up a whole lotta stuff. It's a dream, but in reality, I think I'd be too timid to go ahead & "go-fer-it"
http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/phpBB/images/smiles/extra_102.gif

Randy_W
12-04-05, 08:39 PM
Randy W at home.....
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6320/randy2la.th.jpg (http://img199.imageshack.us/my.php?image=randy2la.jpg)

You're hard on me, Blackout!:lies: :xgrin:

Katshot
12-05-05, 10:39 AM
Hey Sandy,
Since D/C seems to be aiming the GC SRT-8 at the likes of BMW and Porsche, do you REALLY think the Jeep and Chevy will be courting the same shoppers? I mean Jeep DOES already have a pretty good amount of high-end customers so they don't have to worry about proving themselves to anyone, but the same can't be said for the Chevy (at least I don't THINK it can). I mean it's natural to draw comparisons between them since they're the only American hot-rod-utes but do you really think they are both looking at the same markets? What do you think?

Sandy
12-05-05, 04:27 PM
Would you not think of me as a "High Line" shopper? I mean I have a 2003 Town Car Limited & my 1993 Sixty Special .....

It's a different world today. SUV(s) especially. In the well to do areas here it's not unusual to see an expensive car sharing garage space with a less than expensive car. My neighbor has a Mercedes E-something 4-door and a Subaru Legacy GT. The guy in back of me has a Town Car and a Wrangler Sport. My accountant has a STS (2005) and a Ford Escape (2004). So, I don't see it that way any longer. Years ago >> maybe true, but today people tend to buy what the percieve they are getting a good deal on.

Revoh
12-05-05, 04:49 PM
I've driven the Trailblazer SS, and it absolutely ROCKS! In fact, I've driven all the LS6 vehicles (CTS-V,GTO, Corvette, SS-R), and I am very impressed with that engine. From my seat of the pants perspective, after maybe driving 15-20 miles or so, theTrailblazer is a lot better to drive than the SS-R. Believe me, that truck is WELL DESERVING of the SS badge. It handles great, too. I think when people start driving them and they build a little more reputation, they are really going to develop a following. Personally, after spending a little time with it, I love it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Blackout
12-06-05, 06:32 AM
I've driven the Trailblazer SS, and it absolutely ROCKS! In fact, I've driven all the LS6 vehicles (CTS-V,GTO, Corvette, SS-R), and I am very impressed with that engine. From my seat of the pants perspective, after maybe driving 15-20 miles or so, theTrailblazer is a lot better to drive than the SS-R. Believe me, that truck is WELL DESERVING of the SS badge. It handles great, too. I think when people start driving them and they build a little more reputation, they are really going to develop a following. Personally, after spending a little time with it, I love it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:GTO never had an LS6 and the SS-R never had the LS6 either. What are you talking about? And if your saying the TB SS has a LS6 then your wrong again. *SNIFF, SNIFF* I smell BS

Randy_W
12-06-05, 07:57 AM
People often confuse the nomenclature surrounding LS engines, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.:thumbsup:

Revoh
12-06-05, 09:05 AM
GTO never had an LS6 and the SS-R never had the LS6 either. What are you talking about? And if your saying the TB SS has a LS6 then your wrong again. *SNIFF, SNIFF* I smell BS
Sorry. My brain has a hard time processing all the different codes sometimes. Maybe my wife's right--I AM getting old. :rant2: I meant LS2. :banghead:

HotRodSaint
12-06-05, 09:59 AM
People often confuse the nomenclature surrounding LS engines, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.:thumbsup:

But it's more fun to call BS and start a flame war over it, right? :rolleyes:

Blackout
12-06-05, 11:54 AM
But it's more fun to call BS and start a flame war over it, right? :rolleyes:It sounds weird to hear you say that

Randy_W
12-10-05, 04:54 PM
Katshot, here's the wreck pic I promised.

http://home.comcast.net/~toppop52/images/TrailBlazer1.jpg

Rolex
12-10-05, 10:43 PM
Katshot, here's the wreck pic I promised.

That should buff right out. :duck:

Randy_W
12-10-05, 10:55 PM
That's what 40,000 lbs. of firetruck will do at 50 m.p.h.!! The other side looks just as bad.

Rolex
12-11-05, 09:34 PM
HRS, the Magnum is "out" as I'd really like to have 4WD, and the Mag doesn't offer it in combo with the SRT-8.

I watched a test drive of the SRT 8 line today on the Speed Channel. They explained that the loss of 5 hp on the Jeep GC was due to the use of a 4 inch dual exhaust. According to the show the Grand Cherokee will be the only vehicle in the SRT 8 line up that offers AWD.

They said the Jeep GC will do 0-60 in "well under six seconds, even on wet pavement." That's smokin' :D