: runflats back on-sometimes I disagree with the forum-LOL

moldowan
12-02-05, 10:11 PM
Well I got firestone to take back the SO-3's for full credit and the put on new F1's!!!
I have to say I much prefer these tires over the so-3's !
handling is back where it SHOULD be!!! I was only able to pull a .76 on the meter before I was loosing grip on those SO-3's. The f1's can take at least .88 before they slip a bit!!!
Yes I could do nice burn-out with the SO-3's and traction was horrible ( from a rolling full throttle punch I could practically smoke em thru 1st and into 2nd.) Now all i have is TRACTION!!!!!!!!
Actually it was kind of fun doing that but overall I prefer the handling aspect of this car to straight line punch and burn so that is why I am going on record to say "I'll keep my runcraps"-LOL
Thank good for firstones 30 "ride garuantee!!!!

-Moldy out!
btw; firestone has to damage the returns and send them back to MFGR. for testing.

moldowan
12-02-05, 10:13 PM
hey....................... I'm finally over 200 posts.................whoppie for me-hehehehehehe

benh
12-02-05, 10:16 PM
I must say that I am still somewhat disappointed with my Goodyear GSD3s; they definately break loose a lot quicker than the runcraps, although they are slightly more comfortable ridding; not sure I would do it again, while I totoally agree that it is pathetic that the runcraps last for less than 10K miles, the hadling may be worth the extra expense at least for me.

moldowan
12-02-05, 10:22 PM
:yeah:

Skeeter
12-02-05, 10:36 PM
Gawd, the notion of spending ~$380 per tire every 5-10k really isn't appealing. Puts the car well into 'exotic' class for regular, in warranty operating costs :(

There's gotta be a better tire out there that won't hurt so bad and will still be as sticky. Gotta be! Till I find the right brand, I guess I'm with you, tho.

Skeeter

homer403
12-02-05, 10:37 PM
Funny.. I also went back to runcraps.

tedcmiller
12-02-05, 10:37 PM
I have been singing the praises of run-flats in general and the Eagle F1s in particular for quite a while. The F1 traction is spectacular and since I don't drive the car in a manner that induces wheel hop, I find the tires to be excellent performers. Now, if only they would last a little longer. In any case, it is nice to see some one else is thinking a lot like me.

StealthV
12-02-05, 11:12 PM
The more sticky the tire, the lower the tread life. There's a reason F1s don't last long... :duck:

BowenCT
12-02-05, 11:18 PM
I am right there with all of you.............as long as I own my V, it will be wearing (no pun intended) F1 runflats. The grip these tires have is remarkable. I've always thought the "I Hate Runflats!" bandwagon was boarderline laughable.

rand49er
12-02-05, 11:46 PM
...lower the tread life....F1s don't last long...No burn outs here, 14k very easy miles on F1s, and they're just about gone ... and, they're anything BUT sticky in the snow that we've had here the last couple of days. Avons going on very soon as soon as my Mille Miglias arrive.

Jon
12-03-05, 12:15 AM
Never had any experience with the F1s. My car came with brand new Toyo Proxes T1Rs.

I was fooling around with the car tonight on an incline with some snow on it, learning to get the car going without rolling back or using the parking brake (my first manual car) and amazingly, the tires didn't slip or anything. Anyone have experience with these tires? HOw long will they last? I'm only gonna run them in the summer, as I have Blizaaks coming for the winter.

Dave's V
12-03-05, 12:41 AM
The performance benefits of the run flats are obvious, but so is their usefulness when it just gets cold. Forget about snow. Yes, you can buy winter run flats. At least they are not different sizes front to rear like the Porshe so you can at least rotate them.

Tire life is a joke for $330 a piece. I would consider going with runflats if I don't have to drive where it is cold or if the V is parked for the winter.

I wouldn't go with runflats if I take long distance trips though.

StealthV
12-03-05, 12:49 AM
Tread life and performance are inversely proportional. One can't maximize both at the same time. The $330 isn't buying tread life, it is buying run-flat capability and extreme grip.

Working on leaving my second set of F1s on highways right now. :)

ace996
12-03-05, 01:24 AM
Just before you guys are done with the runflats, do this:
Get a jug of VP Bite,a tire softener, and treat the F1s. I think it may just be impossible to have a street-compound tire grip better than a bald-treated F1.

Well, only if you have too much time and too little money...
-ace

wildwhl
12-03-05, 02:03 AM
A while back I was criticized for trying to pawn off (for near free) my ~75% tread runflats and my ~50% tread runflats (I have 10 - don't ask why)...and then I realized...they stick. When my rims are tired of the current GSD3's - I might try the F1's again. They do have a (slightly different) runflat F1 in the 275 width :thumbsup:

12-03-05, 02:41 AM
hmmm. This may be a good thread to use to auction off my brand new, never-mounted, set of 4 replacement 245/45-18 OEM runflat supercar EMT's....

but I haven't decided for sure yet. I have about 50 miles to go on the originals before I hit the tread wear indicators (about 10,500 miles).

D

CVP33
12-03-05, 09:54 AM
Nothing sticks better than F1's for the first 5,000 miles.
Nothing is scarier for the next 5,000 miles though. Cold temp's or rain the F1's are a handfull.

V400HP
12-03-05, 10:08 AM
No burn outs here, 14k very easy miles on F1s, and they're just about gone ... and, they're anything BUT sticky in the snow that we've had here the last couple of days. Avons going on very soon as soon as my Mille Miglias arrive.

What's the deal with riding in the snow? This will be my first winter with the "V" here in New Jersey. Do I keep the F1s on, or get snow tires? If I get snow tires any recommendations?

Thanks

Les:hmm:

urbanski
12-03-05, 10:26 AM
hot topic sticky...the one nobody reads....discusses winter tires

OldRoadDawg
12-03-05, 10:57 AM
What's the deal with riding in the snow? This will be my first winter with the "V" here in New Jersey. Do I keep the F1s on, or get snow tires? If I get snow tires any recommendations?

Thanks

Les:hmm:
The F1's are evil/wicked/worthless on snow, slush, or ice and marginal on wet roads. Walk . . don't drive to your closest tire shop for snow tires if you are going to drive your V this winter. No recommendation on snow tires. I'm still trying to decide. Probably leave the V in the garage.

Luna.
12-03-05, 02:26 PM
Just before you guys are done with the runflats, do this:
Get a jug of VP Bite,a tire softener, and treat the F1s. I think it may just be impossible to have a street-compound tire grip better than a bald-treated F1.

Well, only if you have too much time and too little money...
-ace

I'd consider this---my runflats are near WORTHLESS in terms of grip at ~9k miles. They slip and slide like mad now. A few nights ago I nailed it in 3rd and I broke the rear-tires loose, which never used to happen...

Good grip or not, the idea of changing my tires at ~10k miles does NOT appeal to me, especially when the last several thousand miles are with terrible traction.

azombie
12-03-05, 02:33 PM
since we're talking tires here:

I finally had my first SNOW experience with my new Pirelli Nero M+S tires.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE

I had to drive up to my parents house in New Hampshire for Thanksgiving.

Half way up I found myself on some pretty small roads that had not been plowed so I was driving on about 2" of packed down snow.

as long as I stayed slow the car was able to manuever, meaning I could actually steer it.

It was amazing. The runflats in the snow last year were an absolute nightmare, I wouldn't even go out if there was any sleet (the term Its Slickery I'm working at home became quite funny to my boss). With the runflats on snow you can't even turn the car much less gain any traction.

I will say that on nonpacked snow the car was unable to get up the small hill that is my dads driveway. it got about as far as the momentum of the car had into the turn and then just stopped.

So while they are certainly NOT a snow tire per se, they at least give you a modicum of safety, meaning if you get caught in something (happens all the time in New England) at least you can make a good decision and probably make it home.

I still wouldn't recommend any snow driving in the V even with snow tires, there is just too much power and NO TIRE is going to grip if you gas it at all.

so here is my final analysis on the Pirelli Nero M+S, in dry conditions it is a decent tire, it certainly isn't as hardcore as the runflat, I don't hit the on/offramps nearly as hard but it is not much different.

You can lay huge patches if you want to (i only did it 1 time!!)

The ride is VERY NICE, much softer/quieter ride than the runflats.

Treadware: I have put on about 5K miles and have not even really noticed much wear at all. My runflats got about 9K miles and were ALL DONE (I drive fairly agressively) my driving style has not changed.

I think my plan is maybe when we hit late spring/early summer I will buy a set of rims and a summer tire, then have the stock rims with these tires for the winters.

stay safe during the next few months fellow Vers!! PRAYS FOR SPRING!

NIK
12-05-05, 12:51 PM
Nothing sticks better than F1's for the first 5,000 miles.
Nothing is scarier for the next 5,000 miles though. Cold temp's or rain the F1's are a handfull.

Exactly! They are a great, dry and warm weather performer, no doubt about that. If that were the only type driving I did I might be able to live with the short tread life, but these tires become a challenge even in dry weather in the twenty degree or lower range.

vonhiner
12-05-05, 01:52 PM
My runflats experience was so bad while driving in about 1" of snow(tires are about worn out) that I vowed never to drive the V in snow again(I lost control when I let off the gas going slowly and the car went immediately sideways. I tried to regain control by gassing ever so gently... it only got worse..thank God I pushed the clutch in before I hit the Metro bus)..I didn't want to take a chance on spending about $1100.00 on snow tires only to find out I couldn't make it up my hilly driveway. I am picking up my new Subaru Imprezza all wheel drive car Wednesday and parking the V when bad out. Great deal by the way on the Subaru! Later Chris

SlvrVee
12-15-05, 01:11 PM
Did anyone notice that on TopGear "Cts-V vs Audi" that the V while driving on a wet track came in only 3/10 sec behind the Noble? According to the video the times were:
SL55 AMG 133 Wet
Noble 133.1 Dry
Golf R32 133.3 Dry
Cts-V 133.4 Wet
I'm sure that the V was running on Runflats. They can't be that bad if you can get those numbers in the wet.

urbanski
12-15-05, 01:34 PM
lol

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-15-05, 02:35 PM
Rand49 - are you gettting the Miglias from tire rack? Are you geeting tires with them? Has anyone done that? Like do they show up truly balanced and not damaged?

No offense but I'm not much on the Miglias - wish they were solid spoke and crome (yeah I know winter's tough on crome - don't care). I want some all season tires with crome wheels - like the classic cragers.

Other posts spoke highly of the ContiExtremes.....

Barak
12-15-05, 06:47 PM
The runflats are superb tires in terms of traction as long as they still have a decent amount of tread left.

The Falken RT-615's provide even better dry traction than the runflats with improved ride quality. Time will tell if they will last longer than the runflats. If they get the same mileage or more, I will be buying another set of RT-615's.

Luna.
12-15-05, 07:08 PM
The runflats are superb tires in terms of traction as long as they still have a decent amount of tread left.

The Falken RT-615's provide even better dry traction than the runflats with improved ride quality. Time will tell if they will last longer than the runflats. If they get the same mileage or more, I will be buying another set of RT-615's.

I will be very interested in this one I can assure you. :D

The GSD3s aren't impressing me yet, but I haven't broken them in yet either (500+ miles), so we shall see.

ace996
12-15-05, 07:33 PM
NICE!!!! A happy Falken615 pilot!!!! That is the tire I"ll be mounting on the stock rims after I wear away my F1s. I'm happy you like them, Barak. Please let us know how they work out.
-ace

Mat347
12-15-05, 08:13 PM
I have 275/40 Michelin pilot sport A/Ss on the back with my stock rims. They hook BETTER than the F1s. Most noticeably in a straight line. I have 1.23gs so far, but still have F1s up front. They are about 20-40 bux cheaper than the F1s, they have a 400 TWR(~40k miles under NORMAL conditions) and are still run flats(make them both ways)!
The only bad thing is they don't make run flats for the front.

Kadonny
12-16-05, 05:48 PM
Rand49 - are you gettting the Miglias from tire rack? Are you geeting tires with them? Has anyone done that? Like do they show up truly balanced and not damaged?

I did that for my Audi 2 years ago. Bought a set of Moda wheels with winter tires from Tirerack. They were supposed to come in balanced and all.

The were delivered in good shape and all wrapped in carboard and plastic, but all 4 tires were out of balance. I called Tirerack (since they were supposed to be balanced) and they sent me to a local installer to have them rebalanced. Tirerack paid to have them redone, so I lost no money on it.

Bottom line is that I will never trust them to balance again.

Now, what is the word on the runflat RSA's? They are an all season runflat..........right?