: Killer Jeep

Rolex
12-02-05, 07:07 PM
On the inside cover of this months Car and Driver magazine is a 2 page add for the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. 6.1 liter hemi, 420 hp, 420 ft lbs, 20 inch wheels, and 0-60 mph in UNDER 5 SECONDS!!!!

Anyway I have owned a JGC before. The two best days I owned that jeep were the day I bought it, and the day I sold it. Most of the time in between was spent in the unfriendly service department of my local Jeep dealership. Having said that....I think this Jeep turns me on. :hide: Price is still "to be announced."

http://www.jeep.com/srt8/ (http://www.jeep.com/srt8/)

http://www.drivesrt.com/en/jeep/grand_cherokee/ (http://www.drivesrt.com/en/jeep/grand_cherokee/)

ETA: please forgive me for starting a Jeep thread!!!

mccombie_5
12-02-05, 07:11 PM
One problem

They are crowding a dying market

the SUV trend is dying out

Had they brought it in three years ago...

Rolex
12-02-05, 10:15 PM
You can't tell that interest in SUVs in waning by looking at the streets around here.

This thing certainly got my attention and interest. I'm betting when the MRSP is announced it will go for more than 50k. If it's in the 40k range I might give it a second look. (I can't believe I'm even saying that!) :cookoo:

Sandy
12-02-05, 10:30 PM
I am awaiting a magazine shootout between the new SRT-8 Grand Cherokee Limited and the Chevy Trailblazer SS,with the 'Vette mill under-hood. The Jeep is at 420 H.P. and the SS at 400 H.P and the same Tq. I believe that the Jeep is considerably heavier than the SS, so it should be real close. I like the front of the SS better, and I think it's lower to the ground. On a personal note, I like the SS styling better.

HotRodSaint
12-02-05, 11:42 PM
I'm not a Grand Cherokee fan, but this is the best looking one they have made yet.

1stgenbird
12-03-05, 02:17 AM
I saw the SRT8 on display ay the New England International Auto Show in Boston. I was drooling over the thing. And for those that have had bad luck with Jeeps, I am on my second Grand Cherokee and have never had any problems with either of them. I curently have an '02 Grand Cherokee Overland and previously a '98 GC Laredo. I would buy another one with no hesitation.

Krashed989
12-03-05, 05:00 AM
I don't like jeeps. Their engines are really great and run for a loooongg time. But that is just about the only good thing about them. The accessories are really craptastic as far as design goes. Especially the power windows. They are cable driven rather than the usual X looking mechanism. I don't even know how many jeep door panels I've been in because of the windows. Yuk.

Well anyways, that being said. I think this new jeep is totally pimpable (is that a word...? O-well). Kewlness, I can only hope they've smartened up on the design of the power accessories. I give this one :2thumbs: on the looks.

Katshot
12-03-05, 09:13 AM
I think they're both hot-looking but if the numbers I read are true, the SRT-8 will stomp the SS. The 0-60 times are a good second off. Unfortunately, Chevy has a rep. for throwing the SS badge on less than thrilling hardware.

Playdrv4me
12-03-05, 12:31 PM
Yea the SRT-8 certainly reads faster, and also appears to have had more detail go into the overall package.

90Brougham350
12-03-05, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately, Chevy has a rep. for throwing the SS badge on less than thrilling hardware.

Hahahaha, you wouldn't be talking about the Chevy Silverado SS, having 345 horse, the same number of horses as a stock Hemi Dodge truck, now would you? Gotta love GM!

Playdrv4me
12-03-05, 12:45 PM
Hahahaha, you wouldn't be talking about the Chevy Silverado SS, having 345 horse, the same number of horses as a stock Hemi Dodge truck, now would you? Gotta love GM!

Ohhh man... thats a sweet package on the OUTSIDE but what an embarrasment engine-wise!!

Katshot
12-03-05, 02:23 PM

That would be the one. Actually that's only one of the latest examples. Whatever happened to that truck anyways? :devil:
Personally, I thought it was ugly too so I wasn't terribly crushed when it was a lackluster performer too. In my book there are only two full-size performance pick-ups out there, the SRT-10 and the Lightning. I still like the Lightning best too. There's just something about that truck that gets me drooling whenever I see one.:tongue2:

Rolex
12-03-05, 02:42 PM
I agree with what's said about GM's historical decisions to slap the SS badge on anything with a stock V8 (which is why it's lost all credibility). On paper the JG Cherokee appears to be a true performer, while the Trail Blazer gets a de-tuned corvette-based engine. I don't get why they opted to de-tune the 6.0! Why not offer 400+ hp to the performance loving public?

They've slapped this 6.1 hemi 425 hp power plant into everything from the 300 to the JGC, but nobody seems to be complaining about a lack of performance.

Playdrv4me
12-03-05, 02:45 PM
I think the reasoning behind de-tuning the engine a bit was probably more than likely due to concerns over stress on the drivetrain.

terrible one
12-03-05, 03:10 PM
I saw one of these today, just a few hours ago!

Sandy
12-03-05, 03:29 PM
"These" ...being which one ? The SRT-8 Jeep or the SS T-Blazer ?

terrible one
12-03-05, 04:13 PM
It was a white SRT-8

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-03-05, 04:22 PM
Looks A1!

Katshot
12-04-05, 08:25 AM
It IS a hot-looking truck for sure, I'll be on the look out for one myself. Only to check it out of course. I like my Jeep Wrangler just fine.:)

Randy_W
12-04-05, 09:09 AM
I agree with what's said about GM's historical decisions to slap the SS badge on anything with a stock V8 (which is why it's lost all credibility). On paper the JG Cherokee appears to be a true performer, while the Trail Blazer gets a de-tuned corvette-based engine. I don't get why they opted to de-tune the 6.0! Why not offer 400+ hp to the performance loving public?

They've slapped this 6.1 hemi 425 hp power plant into everything from the 300 to the JGC, but nobody seems to be complaining about a lack of performance.

Actually the Jeep like the TRailBlazer gets less horsepower than the other SRT-8 versions.

Katshot
12-04-05, 10:36 AM
Yes, that's right Randy. I'm surprised it took you so long to get over to this thread and point that out.

IMO, the interesting point is the difference in performance between these two obvious competitors, and I don't just mean 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. The Jeep is heavier and has slightly more power. It also has a 5-speed trans vs. the SS's 4-speed unit, yet still gets worse gas mileage. The Jeep also uses a 3.73 final drive vs. the SS's 4.10 ratio. All these add up to only get me scratching my head as to why the Jeep seemingly (by the numbers anyway) handily out-performs the SS. I mean, the weight difference would "seem" to cancel out the difference in power, and the gearing and number of gears in the trans would "seem" to give the nod to the SS in terms of acceleration and to the Jeep in terms of fuel mileage, yet they are in actuality just the opposite. Hmmm:hmm:

Rolex
12-04-05, 12:12 PM
Actually the Jeep like the TRailBlazer gets less horsepower than the other SRT-8 versions.

The Magnum, Charger, and the 300 SRT8 all share the 6.1 liter V8....425 hp and 420 ft lbs. So where do these 5 hp go in the Jeep, and why would that make any dfference in terms of drive train stress? I'm guessing the intake is a little more restrictive....a problem easily fixed. :lildevil:

Rolex
12-04-05, 12:23 PM
Disregard the above. I answered my own question by reading in the sister thread. :p

HotRodSaint
12-04-05, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately, Chevy has a rep. for throwing the SS badge on less than thrilling hardware.

The SS 'badge' started in 1961 as a trim package that could be ordered on 6 cylinder cars.

I'm not sure how much good rep that created for it in the beginning, but I don't think it could get any worse than that.

Randy_W
12-04-05, 01:56 PM
The SS 'badge' started in 1961 as a trim package that could be ordered on 6 cylinder cars.

I'm not sure how much good rep that created for it in the beginning, but I don't think it could get any worse than that.

Most people forget that the SS was nothing but a trim package in most models for years. As for the SS silverado having the same horsepower as the hemi, it's true, but read the tests, the Vortec Max in the extended cab, even with all wheel drive and weighing 500 lbs. more will out run the Hemi standard cab 2wd. The 2wd version is another .8 quicker. I too, wish Chevy would put the 427 Corvette engine in the truck, since the Vette is now quicker than the Viper, I can only assume the truck at several hundred pounds lighter than the Dodge, would also be quicker. However looking at the numbers sold of SRT 10's and Lightenings, which haven't been produced for a while now, GM didn't think it made economic sense. To that end, I say it isn't how many of them you sell, but how many others you sell because that model brought people into the showroom.;)

Katshot
12-04-05, 04:29 PM
Ultra sport editions of any vehicle are usually considered niche market cars and are well-known to be not only low volume but at times virtual "loss-leaders". You're right, they ARE intended to general dealer traffic rather than make great sales numbers.
I think that's where GM kind of lost it's way with respect to the famed "SS" line. They tried making it a "volume" entity within the model line and that only served to hurt GM's credibility and undermine the value of the very thing they were trying to capitalize on, the "SS" name.

Randy_W
12-04-05, 04:41 PM
Kat, there is truth in that. Ford and Mercury tried that name game calling a Fairmount derivitive a Zephyr and a Granada clone was passed off as a Couger. Chevy has done it with the Malibu and Dodge with the Chargers of the 1980's. It really doesn't fool anybody and tarnishes the name.

Katshot
12-04-05, 04:49 PM
Hell, I think they've ALL done it at one time or another. It's just MORE hurtful in these cases. The enthusiasts are VERY loyal, and VERY touchy about tarnishing such revered names. To them it's like spitting on JFK's grave or something. :bigroll:

Night Wolf
12-04-05, 09:38 PM
The new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 will cost about half as much as the Porsche Cayenne Turbo it beats in a 0-60 run, the Chrysler Group said in a release on Thursday. The new HEMI-powered SUV will sport a base price tag of $39,995 when it goes on sale in January. The SRT8 version of Jeep's perennially popular sport-ute will outpace the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and BMW X5, Jeep promises. Outfitted with the 420-hp, 6.1-liter HEMI V-8, the SRT8 will gun to 60 mph in less than five seconds, making it the second-fastest Chrysler Group vehicle after the Dodge Viper. Along with an upgraded four-wheel-drive system and the HEMI engine, the SRT8 gets stability control recalibrated specifically for this application, Brembo brakes, a more refined interior and options like DVD navigation and Sirius satellite radio.

there ya go.

Katshot
12-05-05, 11:25 AM
One thing that I never thought about until now is that Jeep already has a pretty damn good hold on the market they seem to want to get into with the GC SRT-8. You ever look at what many rich folk have in their garage along with their Porsche's, BMW's and Bently's? Quite often, they also have a Jeep. What you DON'T see is a Trailblazer sitting next to those posh marques. So I think Jeep has an advantage in the high-dollar SUV market. But then, GM IS holding the price fairly low on the SS, so maybe they really aren't really shooting for the same market. Who knows?

Playdrv4me
12-05-05, 02:51 PM
One thing that I never thought about until now is that Jeep already has a pretty damn good hold on the market they seem to want to get into with the GC SRT-8. You ever look at what many rich folk have in their garage along with their Porsche's, BMW's and Bently's? Quite often, they also have a Jeep. What you DON'T see is a Trailblazer sitting next to those posh marques. So I think Jeep has an advantage in the high-dollar SUV market. But then, GM IS holding the price fairly low on the SS, so maybe they really aren't really shooting for the same market. Who knows?

Thats true... We have a member on here, HCVONE, who has a Jag XJ8, Escalade, M5, I think a Porsche and a few other luxury cars, and right along side those he has Jeep Grand Cherokee Overlands.

Randy_W
12-05-05, 05:02 PM
The GM vehicle I see in that position the most is the Envoy, and sometimes the Ranier or Bravada. With the Bravada out of production they are going to be dissapearing from all garages, not just luxo owners.