: Dodge Magnum longhaul review.

Spyder
11-30-05, 01:08 PM
I just picked up a brand new Magnum rental. First impression, I like it a lot, lots of room inside, stowage space is great, rear seats seem to have plenty of room as well. Seven footer like me still has headroom and my knees only lightly brush the dash. Visibility is horrible, but I've driven worse. Not a whole lot of power, but I'm sure I've got the base engine. Throttle response is horrible, but that's what I'd expect from a basic rental car. Sound system is great, inside fit and finish and such is pretty good too, although I must admit, I've only spent about five minutes in it. When I get back from Vegas, I'll be able to give a detailed report on it, as I'll have spent about 24 hours in the damned thing. :)

Elvis
12-01-05, 12:02 PM
When I get back from Vegas, I'll be able to give a detailed report on it, as I'll have spent about 24 hours in the damned thing. :)

Well, it's almost time. Shouldn't he be back pretty soon?

Spyder
12-06-05, 06:02 PM
Hell...it was only the day after I left!

Car was great. Ran nice and smooth all the way up to 118 or so, although after a hundred, it took a while to get up there. Nothing like my old STS. 20 mpg for 1400 miles, and we drove it hard. Lots of room...there were five of us on the drive down, and it was a little cramped, but for four people it woul dhave had plenty of room. I'm 7'0, and I had MORE than enough head room, and almost enough leg room. The drive home, there was only two of us, so it was great, with lots of comfy space. Handles good for a big base model station wagon, but there is more than a bit of body sway when you change lanes quick or take sharp corners. Not much power, couldn't get the tires to spin unless it was wet or we were in dirt, but it'd get up the onramps and into passing gear alright. Low rpm power was naught, it didn't pick up till about 3000 rpm, redlined at 6500, if I remember right. 100 mph WOT was 4900 rpm. DON'T take them offroad. No ground clearance, and you're likely to lose the seven foot long piece that would be a running board if it was a truck. Don't ask how I know that. :) Enough storage space in the back for five softsided suitcases, which is more than enough for any weekend trip. The stereo was decent. Reception wasn't the greatest, and it distorted pretty bad with it all the way up at the loudest setting, but at a reasaonalbe level, it sounded good. Hmmmm...what else...driver electric seat moved really slow, but like I said, it was roomy. Not the most comfortable seats I've ever known, but far from the worst as well. Visibility is horrible. Huge blind spot over your left shoulder, and tough to see over your right, so you'd better know how to use your mirrors. Hell, that's about all I can think of right now, but if I remember more, I'll throw it up here...any questions, lemme know too!

Spyder
12-06-05, 06:02 PM
Hell...it was only the day after I left!

Car was great. Ran nice and smooth all the way up to 118 or so, although after a hundred, it took a while to get up there. Nothing like my old STS. 20 mpg for 1400 miles, and we drove it hard. Lots of room...there were five of us on the drive down, and it was a little cramped, but for four people it woul dhave had plenty of room. I'm 7'0, and I had MORE than enough head room, and almost enough leg room. The drive home, there was only two of us, so it was great, with lots of comfy space. Handles good for a big base model station wagon, but there is more than a bit of body sway when you change lanes quick or take sharp corners. Not much power, couldn't get the tires to spin unless it was wet or we were in dirt, but it'd get up the onramps and into passing gear alright. Low rpm power was naught, it didn't pick up till about 3000 rpm, redlined at 6500, if I remember right. 100 mph WOT was 4900 rpm. DON'T take them offroad. No ground clearance, and you're likely to lose the seven foot long piece that would be a running board if it was a truck. Don't ask how I know that. :) Enough storage space in the back for five softsided suitcases, which is more than enough for any weekend trip. The stereo was decent. Reception wasn't the greatest, and it distorted pretty bad with it all the way up at the loudest setting, but at a reasaonalbe level, it sounded good. Hmmmm...what else...driver electric seat moved really slow, but like I said, it was roomy. Not the most comfortable seats I've ever known, but far from the worst as well. Visibility is horrible. Huge blind spot over your left shoulder, and tough to see over your right, so you'd better know how to use your mirrors. Hell, that's about all I can think of right now, but if I remember more, I'll throw it up here...any questions, lemme know too!