: Walk The Line

Spyder
11-28-05, 03:56 AM
GREAT movie. I liked it, muy bueno...Whatdya'll think of it, if you've seen it? One thing I've not enjoyed is how everyone seems to be Cash fans now, even those who a week ago had never even heard of him. I have a half dozen or so friends on Myspace who wouldn't have been caught dead listening to any kind of country a month ago, and they've all got friggin JR songs on their pages now. Kinda ridiculous, but oh well, its still quite the enjoyable movie!

Jesda
11-28-05, 04:02 AM
Friend of mine said it dragged on a bit.

Spyder
11-28-05, 04:16 AM
ah, then he's no friend of mine... j/k, j/k!!!

HotRodSaint
11-28-05, 10:52 AM
Best movie I've seen in years.

I went the first weekend BECAUSE I have been a Cash fan for years.

And if this makes more people appreciate him, then thats cool too.

RobertCTS
11-28-05, 11:32 AM
I haven't seen the movie yet..only the trailers but I will. I lived thru all the Johnny Cash years and I loved his cowboy ballads and prison songs.

I think they did an excellent job in casting Joaquin Phoenix to play Cash!! I've been a fan of joaquin for several years. He looks right for the part. Can't wait to see it!

Spyder
11-28-05, 12:43 PM
Joaquin did a GREAT job...as did Reece...very good casting for the movie!

slk230mb
11-28-05, 01:47 PM
Johnny picked Joaquin to portray him and June picked Reese to portray her.

gdwriter
11-28-05, 02:27 PM
GREAT movie. I liked it, muy bueno...Whatdya'll think of it, if you've seen it? One thing I've not enjoyed is how everyone seems to be Cash fans now, even those who a week ago had never even heard of him.

I went the first weekend BECAUSE I have been a Cash fan for years. And if this makes more people appreciate him, then thats cool too.
I grew up listening to Johnny Cash. My Dad was a big fan and had most of his LPs from the 60s through the 70s. I'm not a big country music fan, although there are some artists that I like. But JR is one of my favorites. I love his duets with June (i.e., Jackson, If I Were a Carpenter). Together they were electric.

My Dad isn't as keen on JR's American Recordings, but I like those, too. Hurt could easily be seen as his epitath. It's so powerful and haunting, particularly when you watch the video.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but my parents loved it. Hope to get to it this weekend.

BTW, RobertCTS, where did you find the picture of his One Piece at a Time Cadillac? I love that song; never fails to crack me up ("The back end looked kinda funny too. But we put it together and when we got through,
well, that's when we noticed that we only had one tail fin.")

Blackout
11-29-05, 06:40 AM
I hated every second of the movie and fell asleep about 15 minutes into it. This may be because I hate Johnny Cash an dmy gf dragged me out to see the movie

RobertCTS
11-29-05, 07:38 AM
I hated every second of the movie and fell asleep about 15 minutes into it. This may be because I hate Johnny Cash an dmy gf dragged me out to see the movie

Looks like you're not in social sync with the general public. That's OK as the world would be boring if we all thought alike. I imagine you had formed your conclusion before you entered the theatre. I still think Joaquin Phoenix did a good and believable portrayal of Cash. Cash was a flawed man and the movie showed that. Jamie Fox did an excellent portrayal of Ray Charles in "Ray" also. You don't have to like the singer to enjoy story.

RobertCTS
11-29-05, 07:44 AM
BTW, RobertCTS, where did you find the picture of his One Piece at a Time Cadillac? I love that song; never fails to crack me up ("The back end looked kinda funny too. But we put it together and when we got through,
well, that's when we noticed that we only had one tail fin.")

I had retrieved it before on the Google Image Search. I went back and entered, "Johnny Cash Cadillac" and there it was. Kinda cool that they actually built one:D I aways wondered how he got the short block or transmission in his lunch box but it was a fun song.

Blackout
11-29-05, 03:37 PM
Looks like you're not in social sync with the general public. That's OK as the world would be boring if we all thought alike. I imagine you had formed your conclusion before you entered the theatre. I still think Joaquin Phoenix did a good and believable portrayal of Cash. Cash was a flawed man and the movie showed that. Jamie Fox did an excellent portrayal of Ray Charles in "Ray" also. You don't have to like the singer to enjoy story.I gave it a shot but it was slow and boring. His music sucks but Phoenix did do a great job in the movie.

Spyder
11-29-05, 05:04 PM
I had retrieved it before on the Google Image Search. I went back and entered, "Johnny Cash Cadillac" and there it was. Kinda cool that they actually built one:D I aways wondered how he got the short block or transmission in his lunch box but it was a fun song.

The big stuff he got out with his buddies motor home...

RobertCTS
11-29-05, 05:07 PM

Is that in the Song? I need to hear it again.

Kev
11-29-05, 09:19 PM
http://www.geocities.com/potatochippers/Image2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/potatochippers/CASH5.jpg

gdwriter
11-30-05, 12:44 AM

Is that in the Song? I need to hear it again.

Yes it is. Here are the full lyrics:

Well, I left Kentucky back in '49
And went to Detroit workin' on an assembly line
The first year they had me puttin' wheels on Cadillacs

Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black.

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

CHORUS
I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

So the very next day when I punched in
With my big lunchbox and with help from my friends
I left that day with a lunch box full of gears
I've never considered myself a thief
GM wouldn't miss just one little piece
Especially if I strung it out over several years.

The first day I got me a fuel pump
And the next day I got me an engine and a trunk
Then I got me a transmission and all of the chrome
The little things I could get in my big lunchbox
Like nuts and bolts, and all four shocks
But the big stuff we snuck out in my buddy's mobile home.

Now, up to now my plan went all right
'Til we tried to put it all together one night
And that's when we noticed that something was definitely wrong.

The transmission was a '53
And the motor turned out to be a '73
And when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone.

So we drilled it out so that it would fit
And with a little bit of help with an A-daptor kit
We had that engine runnin' just like a song

Now the headlights was another sight
We had two on the left and one on the right
But when we pulled out the switch, all three of 'em come on.

The back end looked kinda funny too
But we put it together and when we got thru
Well, that's when we noticed that we only had one tail fin

About that time my wife walked out
And I could see in her eyes that she had her doubts
But she opened the door and said "Honey, take me for a spin."

So we drove up town just to get the tags
And I headed her right on down main drag
I could hear everybody laughin' for blocks around
But up there at the courthouse they didn't laugh
'Cause to type it up it took the whole staff
And when they got through, the title weighed sixty pounds.

CHORUS
I got it one piece at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

(Spoken) Uh, yeah, RED RYDER
This is the COTTON MOUTH
In the PSYCHO-BILLY CADILLAC, Come on

Huh, This is the COTTON MOUTH
And negatory on the cost of this mo-chine there, RED RYDER
You might say I went right up to the factory
And picked it up; it's cheaper that way
Uh, what model is it?

Well, It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile.

gdwriter
11-30-05, 12:46 AM
Love the picture of the back end with the one tail fin. Thanks for posting it, Kev.

I'm going to see the movie tomorrow night with a friend who isn't familiar with Johnny Cash, so it will be interesting to see what she thinks.

gdwriter
12-01-05, 11:14 PM
Saw it last night. Loved it. So did my friend. I made her a CD of my favorite Johnny Cash songs, so she can hear the real thing.

I'm not familiar with other movies Joaquin Phoenix has been in, but I was very impressed by his performance. I like Reese Witherspoon a lot, and she was terrific. The movie really captured the great chemistry Johnny and June had.

The musical numbers were excellent, especially considering Phoenix and Witherspoon did their own vocals. Playing a Johnny/June duet during the closing credits was a nice touch. I had forgotten "Long-Legged, Guitar-Pickin' Man," but recognized it immediately. I only wish they had included "If I Were a Carpenter." After "Jackson," that's my favorite duet.