: My 1000th post YAY!!

Krashed989
11-28-05, 01:24 AM
Hey whats up everybody? I just got back from Las Vegas today (too bad I'm not 21... :( ), just in time to post my 1k post.

Time for a celebration.. Ohh yeah!!!

:gnome: :bouncy: :dance: :bang2: :banana: :band: :cheers: :wes:

My parents said they would take me back there for my 21st birthday though. YAY!

powerglide
11-28-05, 02:59 AM
Congrats on your milestone!

Spyder
11-28-05, 03:53 AM
I'll be in Vegas in three days...I'll celebrate FOR you!!! beer beer!

Boombotz
11-28-05, 07:16 AM
Congrats on your 1000th post!

terrible one
11-28-05, 07:32 AM
D'oh! I forgot about my 1000th! Passed a little while back...

mccombie_5
11-28-05, 12:04 PM
Congratulations!

Blackout
11-28-05, 12:21 PM
Congrats and welcome to the club!

slk230mb
11-28-05, 01:49 PM
Congrats and welcome to the club!

:yeah:

ben.gators
04-14-11, 04:33 AM
Well, here is a necropost! :D

Hey whats up everybody? I just got back from Las Vegas today (too bad I'm not 21... :( ), just in time to post my 1k post.

Time for a celebration.. Ohh yeah!!!

:gnome: :bouncy: :dance: :bang2: :banana: :band: :cheers: :wes:

My parents said they would take me back there for my 21st birthday though. YAY!

Hey, look at you, now you can go to Las Vegas and your post count is almost 4k! :D

I saw your profile and see you live in Hawaii, and I couldn't stop myself from asking question about the life in Hawaii... :D How is life in Hawaii? Definitely Hawaii is a perfect place for a one week vocation. But what about the normal life as a resident? I have a job offer in Manoa, but thinking about living in the middle of ocean, far from contagious states....:hide:

orconn
04-14-11, 03:48 PM
I attended the East West Center at the University of Hawaii Manoa. To be honest I got island fever after six months. The weather is great, the scenery is great, the people are really great .... the food is good now (wasn't so hot back in the late 1960's). I have to say that the U of H and Honolulu is probably the world's greatest candy shop when it comes to young ladies (in my time there it was a little short of Caucasian feminine pulchritude, but with the all the lovelies of the Pacific Rim represented, who cared!!).

One thing I found to be true was that it cost more to live in Hawaii than it did to visit as a tourist. Supermarket food was very expensive (and still is) as are other necessities of life. But you don't need as many personal "material" things to live a comfortable life in the Islands.

You certainly won't have the excitement of food, entertainment, and career advancement that New York Chicago, or Los Angeles. But if you looking to be an academic, life in the Islands could be very pleasant. Honolulu would be at least as interesting as Tempe (or Phoenix), Jacksonville or Indianapolis and many other second tier U.S. cities.

However, it is a bit isolated being out there in the middle of the Pacific ...... and your mail does take longer to get there. But I would imagine with the Internet a lot of the feeling of isolation and being out of touch is greatly reduced.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-14-11, 05:31 PM
orconn,

where HAVENT you been, and what car HAVENT you owned

dkozloski
04-14-11, 05:44 PM
I was home ported in Hawaii when I was in Uncle Sam's canoe club. It was like being in the pennitentiary.

orconn
04-14-11, 09:46 PM
I was home ported in Hawaii when I was in Uncle Sam's canoe club. It was like being in the pennitentiary.

I have heard that the Navy was tough in the "old" days, but I find it hard to believe that having Honlulu as a "home port" was hard time duty. Especially when you consider some of the alternatives .... like Dutch Harbor or Sitka! Must have been the absence of moose and grizzlies that took all the fun out of the place!

ben.gators
04-14-11, 10:49 PM
I attended the East West Center at the University of Hawaii Manoa. To be honest I got island fever after six months. The weather is great, the scenery is great, the people are really great .... the food is good now (wasn't so hot back in the late 1960's). I have to say that the U of H and Honolulu is probably the world's greatest candy shop when it comes to young ladies (in my time there it was a little short of Caucasian feminine pulchritude, but with the all the lovelies of the Pacific Rim represented, who cared!!).

One thing I found to be true was that it cost more to live in Hawaii than it did to visit as a tourist. Supermarket food was very expensive (and still is) as are other necessities of life. But you don't need as many personal "material" things to live a comfortable life in the Islands.

You certainly won't have the excitement of food, entertainment, and career advancement that New York Chicago, or Los Angeles. But if you looking to be an academic, life in the Islands could be very pleasant. Honolulu would be at least as interesting as Tempe (or Phoenix), Jacksonville or Indianapolis and many other second tier U.S. cities.

However, it is a bit isolated being out there in the middle of the Pacific ...... and your mail does take longer to get there. But I would imagine with the Internet a lot of the feeling of isolation and being out of touch is greatly reduced.

Indeed the job offer is from University of Hawaii Manoa, the same place you were, but it is not finalized and confirmed yet... It seems that job market in Hawaii is in better shape than the contiguous states!
What you said about the life in Hawaii is a confirmation for all I have read around about the life in Hawaii, well, except the candy shop part! I haven't read about it so far! :D
By the way, what do you mean by "But you don't need as many personal "material" things to live a comfortable life in the Islands.".

ben.gators
04-14-11, 10:52 PM
orconn,

where HAVENT you been, and what car HAVENT you owned

Orconn is the walking Encyclopedia of life all around the world, cars, and the chicks...:D

orconn
04-14-11, 11:46 PM
What I meant by "you don't need as many personal "material" things" was that because Hawaii has such a pleasant climate, beautiful scenery and is a place that is so conducive an outdoor lifestyle you don't need a fancy house (expensive and the fact that it will stand on "lease land" probably not a great investment), since there are limited places to go and the roads are slow going a high powered fancy car is unnecessary
.... satellite TV a decent sound system. If you are smart you won't buy a boat but, much better, have a friend with a boat. Surfboards are not particularly expensive. Suitable clothing is easy to come by and not expensive. Here's plenty of evening entertainment and once you get the ropes of how things work that's cheap too. The real problem with enjoying Hawaii is being able to relax and put a lot of your mainland worries and needs to rest and enjoy the islands and their people. If your desire is to have a big fancy house, the latest hip car (they are their but using them to their potential is a problem). But with all the different Pacific Rim cultures present in Hawaii and the hospitality of the Hawaii people it makes for a an interesting and pleasant place to live!