: Your best Road Trip

caddieboy
11-27-05, 01:47 PM
There's no section for Road Trip discussion or sharing, so I thought I'd start a thread where everyone can detail their best Road Trip stories and have them all in one place. I'm inspired to do this because I one day hope to drive Route 66 from Los Angeles to Chicago. In a Cadillac no less!

Look forward to hearing your stories and seeing your pictures!

Frost
11-30-05, 11:29 AM
Don't know if this fits into your definition, but I once rode my Norton 750 Commando from Ottawa Ontario Canada to Prince Edward Island Canada and back in one week (3,000 mile trip). That was in 1987 and I STILL have the callouses on my ass to prove it!

My bike is the roadster model - stripped down, definitely NO windscreen, not even highway pegs, so I fought the wind and hung onto the bars for all those miles, bucking the side winds coming from the Transport trucks - only stopping to refuel and stretch out the kinks in my back and legs - made almost 700 miles on the first day and was so "punchy" at the end, that I couldn't keep the bike between the lines anymore. Limped into an all night Motel on the edge of a small town, had to pay 2 days in advance (because they didn't like bikers, I guess) even though I insisted all I wanted to do was crash for one night - be out of their hair early the next day - no dice, 2 days up front or no passkey. Nice guys, allright.

Turned out there was some kind of Professional Weightlifting Competition going on that weekend and all the other rooms at that Motel were taken by these big, beefy, stupid-lookin' Neander-f**ks. and I can tell you they DEFINITELY had no use for a long-haired hippie on a bike.

I barely got out of there alive - but did. And no, I didn't go back for any refund on that 2 day advance bullshit from the front desk,,,,,,,,found a quiet field off the main highway, parked the bike and bunked down on the ground, using one of the saddlebags as my pillow and a coupla layers of clothes that was in it to ward off the chill.

One picture of my bike, taken a long time ago - just my bike, my wallet, the aforementioend change of clothes and a whole pick-up-truck's worth of attitude. Oh, and I was in my twenties,,,,,when we ALL had that attitude towards life, to one extent or another. Now solidly in my 50s, still have the bike, but haven't swung a leg over it in years. Drive my Caddies (1988 in the winter, 1997 in the summer) and enjoy the comforts that can come with advancing years along with the wisdom to keep it that way.

But you know occasionally I'll see some young buck riding dowm the highway, hellbent for leather goin' somewhere, and I get a tiny bit jealous. Jealous for his youth, his attitude, his outlook,,,,,,and always silently wish him well and safely on his way.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-30-05, 12:01 PM
I havent gone on many road trips yet...

But the best one I have already done is when I went up to Duluth MN to visit my friends up at the UMD campus. It was cool because I went alone and it was nice crusing up 35 alone for 2 and a half hours. Very relaxing :)

Jesda
12-01-05, 02:28 AM
1995 Mazda 626 with a fantastic little shifter and a crapload of extra money. I took my time going west and soaked in the sights. Did the same with an Accord going through Denver up to Washington. Awesome drive.

Next best would be in the Q45, a straight shot doing 100-150mph from Spokane to St Louis and back.

Night Wolf
12-01-05, 08:10 AM
not counting little 2-5 hour spurts between a couple states... my only real road trip so far has been NY-FL

DAMN! I loved it :)

that was with a FULLY loaded '93 Coupe DeVille.

next month my friend and I wil be taking the '79 DeVille down the same route... it'll be great :)

Spyder
12-06-05, 07:05 PM
I'm going to have to get back to this thread...I've been on many for my youth...and always good stories to go along with them...dangitt, I have to leave for work soon, so no time for it now.

iametarq
12-06-05, 09:12 PM
I've done two big road trips:

1) Michigan to Maryland to Richmond, Virginia to Myrtle Beach, then on to Savannah, Georgia, THEN finally back to Michigan through the Smokey Mountains. This was pre-cadillac days. i did the drive in my Chrysler. it was my spring break of my last year of college. did it in a week.

pictures are here: http://gallery.iametarq.com/photos/2004/spring%20break/

I drove to Boulder Colorado this past summer in the Seville:
http://gallery.iametarq.com/photos/2005/colorado/

great drives. though not anything you'd do in a day. ;) although, driving home from CO to MI i did the whole thing without stopping for sleep. I'm not sure i'll do it again, but i had to do it once. :highfive:

davesdeville
12-07-05, 02:44 AM
Not counting little jaunts around the state with my parents, I've only gone on 2.

One was from Hartford, CT to Albuquerque, NM. And I got snowed in, arrested, had 2 blowouts, slid into a ditch, etc...

The other was a 1600 mile trip between ABQ and San Antonio that we did in about 32 hours. My friend got a ticket, but I got off with a warning. That was the only funny/good part of the trip.