: Almost 1,800 lights....

Night Wolf
11-26-05, 02:49 AM
yeah, so I didn't plan on doing any of this...

but last night I came home and saw the guy under me setup the outside of his place with lights and Christmas stuff.

So I was like ah, what the hell, I have 3 brand new sets of 100ct multi-color lights in my closet.

So I figured I'll make him with lights... I put ALL 3 sets up, all around the top AND bottom, it was nice, but not enough.

So I went to Wal Mart and bought some other stuff... got home, realized I want to change it all, so I took down all the lights I had put and started at it again...

Anyway, this is the end product, I am *VERY* happy, it looks so cool, blue is my favorite color and it is just relaxing to look at.... you can see my balcany from every angle, including 19 that is on the other side of the fence :)

Here is the run down:

3 x 100ct multi color

4 x 300ct blue garland

1 x 150ct blue icacal

1 x 6ft lighted tree w/ star (about 120 lights)

300 light clips :)

The blue garland lights are along the top, bottom, both end sides, and doubled up on the 2 main corners.

the multi color are in wrapped around in between.

the tree is in the corner doing its own thing.

the icical lights flash and twinkle or whatever and are hanging on the gutter.

All hooked up to a single electric timer (National Lampoons Christmas Vacation anybody?)

I spent $70 on lights and stuff at Wal Mart :) ah well, I can use this stuff all the time... I'll probably just leave it up all year since it'll be a pain to take down and put back up.... maybe just take the tree down, but it all looks really nice.

I think I out did the guy below me :)

What do ya'll think? Sorry for the blurry pics.

http://inoventionseast.com/FL/PDR_0760.JPG

http://inoventionseast.com/FL/PDR_0766.JPG

When I go out there and flip the timer back and forth (lights on/off) it just looks so dreery (?) and not cool, but when the lights are on it is so welcoming..... spot the hammock? some of the best $9 I ever spent... these warm FL nights are great out there, now i'll be out there a bit more since it is so damn nice. I was thinking about getting a large American flag and hanging it on the front for some pricacy, but that may ruin the look of the lights, so I'll just keep laying on the thing anyway.

Plus I have my nice camping chair out there, and when the slider doors are opened and the music is on, it just creates a really nice atmosphere :)

illumina
11-26-05, 04:32 AM
I hope you know how to read one of these, because they sure do :D

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-26-05, 05:00 AM
That looks real nice!

Not over the top at all, just right.

Well done!

Night Wolf
11-26-05, 05:34 AM
Yeah, I am wondering what its going to do with the electric bill....

I dunno, those things don't use *that* much power... but it still adds up.... I guess it would be like me leaving the lava lamp on all day, or my fish's light....

They are on a timer, I think its like 5:30PM-7AM.

Eh, it is nice out... not cold, but not humid, so I killed the central AC and opened the windows and gave life to the fans.... that'll definitly cut back on electric.

Really, I don't think its worth me stressing over... it looks pretty cool... tomorrow night I am going to have to drive aorund the apartment complex and on 19 and see how much it stands out :)

I can even see it from my bedroom window (window to the right of the balcany) so its cool.

The balcany is a decent size for a 1-bedroom... 6'x12'.

Yeah, I am really happy with it... isn't very often I do something that turns out *perfect* (IMO)... but this is one of those cases :)

Kev
11-26-05, 01:32 PM
You know it's gonna be bad when they come out and replace your meter with a high performance job! :eek:

Boombotz
11-26-05, 01:50 PM
It looks real good. If you think you have a lot I will take a picture of mine. Now mind you, I have a house so there is like 3x the amount you have. I can tell you it really doesn't do much to the electric bill. I have my shut down at 11:00 though or when I go to sleep.
P.S. Not many people know what 19 is!!! I do Though!!!!!!

turbojimmy
11-26-05, 05:55 PM
My neighbors PAY people to put lights up for them. It's insane. I heard one guy paid $800 for his display - and they take it away at the end of the season. The landscapers do it to make a little extra cash in the off-season.I have to admit, though, that they do look nice. They use commercial-quality strings with big bulbs (C-7s). So I bought my own (200 feet, spaced at 12" apart) and I'm going to put them up myself. I have a contemporary-type house with multiple roof lines that I am going to try to outline without falling to my death.

I'd like to get to Wally World to pick up some other stuff as well. Last year I wimped out and just plugged in one of those giant inflatable snowmen. This year it's gonna be lights-arama.

Jim

Boombotz
11-27-05, 09:30 PM
Here is a picture of my lights. I think they came out pretty good. I did them all by myself (so proud) while Tom was working. I also had my 2 year old daughter with me. I told her she could be mommy's big helper(yea right)! Lets see she step on the lights pulled on the trees it was interesting, but I got it done. I try to keep it simple, but add a piece every year.

slk230mb
11-28-05, 12:02 AM
We normally setup a nice little scene in front of the gazebo with animated reindeer and santa, but with house construction going on we've put the decorations on hold because they are all packed away in the basement.

Spyder
11-28-05, 12:57 AM
I put up a decent display today...still have quite a bit more I'd like to do, but it's starting to look like christmas!

Spyder
11-28-05, 12:58 AM
Here is a picture of my lights. I think they came out pretty good. I did them all by myself (so proud) while Tom was working. I also had my 2 year old daughter with me. I told her she could be mommy's big helper(yea right)! Lets see she step on the lights pulled on the trees it was interesting, but I got it done. I try to keep it simple, but add a piece every year.

Looks excellent! Simple but very attractive, I agree!

deabionni
11-28-05, 01:17 PM
Here's a setup you might like to see. It isn't mine, but it's been making it's way around the net lately.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/45390/wizards_of_winter/

Boombotz
11-28-05, 03:16 PM
That was insane!!!!!