: 911

burnt1
11-25-05, 03:24 PM
will onstar call emergency services even if you dont subscribe to thier service? it's the law with cell phones so i would think onstar would be under the same rules.

05SRX
11-25-05, 03:33 PM
Well OnStar is not cell service, its sat. service.

Good question though, not sure.

djfcars
11-26-05, 12:04 AM
My '03 Avalanche is not satellite phone service but cellular.

I first thought is was by satellite, but I was out in the Mojave desert and could not connect. I called on-star and I was told that the phone is cellular.

The rest of on-star is by satellite. Now maybe my on-star in the SRX is different, but I don't think so.

djfcars

Kipp
11-26-05, 02:46 AM
I also thought it was cellular, but with a high watt antenna.

miked
11-26-05, 03:10 AM
No no, it's not satellite service! It's cellular, and in many cases, analog at that.

If you don't subscribe, Onstar won't help you. At all. The dealer heard a story from a lady who was very upset. She let her Onstar subscription lapse, and then was upset when they wouldn't help her out with a stalled car . . . .

It sort of defeats the purpose of having a *subscription* if you can just use them anyway, eh?

djfcars
11-26-05, 10:32 AM
Here's another on-star fact:
When you buy minutes on the phone, you only have a year from that time to use up all the minutes. Lets say you have 100 minutes left and the year is up. Guess what? you lose all those minutes you paid for. This happened to me and I called them to complain. I wish I was told that when I bought them or at least warned what was going to happen.

On-star admitted that they have had several complaints about that. They did give me back the minutes so I left it at that. I called just the other day and they still give you only a year from the puchase date of the minutes.

djfcars

sgilbert
11-26-05, 11:58 AM
Some are 1 year----some are 30 days!

I'm analog, not digital. CRAP!

Let mine lapse---ON PURPOSE! I'll take my chances and use my cell phone!