: please idlee problemss help!

hogstamogsta
11-25-05, 01:02 AM
96 deville, cleaned the carbon out of the throttle body and now at every red light it stalls unless i brake torque it to keep it from stalling, i need to do a idle re learn, is it done the same way as the 4.9 or is it different cause it being the northstar? or should i jus turn the idle up under the hood...SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Kev
11-25-05, 02:51 AM
The idle relearn is the same. Simply disconnect the negative battery cable for at least one minute.

hogstamogsta
11-25-05, 07:56 AM
i did that but it didnt seem to change anything.... :bigroll:

hogstamogsta
11-26-05, 07:07 PM
help meee pppl!!!! pleasee

Ranger
11-26-05, 07:13 PM
Have you checked to see if there are any DTC's stored?

hogstamogsta
11-26-05, 10:15 PM
no but i will do that and let you knoww

eldorado1
11-27-05, 11:02 AM
take it on the highway (>50mph) for at least a few minutes... see if that helps.

Also make sure you plugged your MAF back in.

hogstamogsta
11-27-05, 08:27 PM
ive done that a million times and nothing has changed, and yes my mass air is plugged in:hmm:

Ranger
11-27-05, 09:27 PM
I'd go back and clean it again. Pay attention to the ISC circuit on the side of the TB. It is an air bypass circuit that allows a controlled amount of air to bypass the throttle plate at idle. Maybe you plugged it with carbon during the cleaning process.

hogstamogsta
11-27-05, 09:50 PM
okay i will go and clean it with some throttle body cleaner and then let you know, i should use a toothbrush too?

Ranger
11-27-05, 09:56 PM
Yeah, toothbrush, rags and TB cleaner. Scrub it till it's clean. Don't forget the backside of the throttle plate as well as the perimiter. DO NOT even think of scraping anything with a scraper or anything like that.

I cannot recall from memory where the ISC valve gets the idle air but look for any small openings in the side of the TB bore and be sure they are not plugged.

hogstamogsta
11-27-05, 11:01 PM
should i just reach in as far as a i can and clean, or is there a stopping point?

Ranger
11-27-05, 11:05 PM
I clean mine in to the end of the TB bore, which is just about as far as I can get my fingers anyway.

mcowden
11-28-05, 12:13 AM
So the TPS, MAF, and IAC are all plugged in? Are you absolutely sure? It sounds like either the IAC is plugged up or not working at all. Ranger is right about the IAC air passages. In the TB, you will see a small hole next to the throttle blade on the outside of the intake. That's where the IAC draws air from. That passage has to be clear. Maybe something got in there that's causing the IAC to stick or something. Can you spray some carb cleaner up there? Have you checked for new codes?

hogstamogsta
11-28-05, 12:59 AM
Yeah Ive Check For New Codes And Nothing At All, And Everything In There Is Like Spotless Now, But Still The Same Problem