: Wedding ring advice needed!

powerglide
11-24-05, 03:09 AM
So my wife and I never had a ceremony, we don't even have a wedding band.

I want to get one now but not sure what to choose.

All of you who have worn the ring for years and have experience please advise.

How thick should it be? Thin/3mm Med/4mm Thick/6mm

I'm thinking simple is best, solid platinum band nothing fancy like strange designs.

How much should I spend? You got your Costco rings at 300+ to tiffany 600+ I certainly dont want to go the cheapo route as its something we will wear forever, god willing.

Why's the same ring cost twice as much at Tiffany>!>! Ladies, does it matter?

Anyways, I'm leaning towards a 3mm platinum band from tiffany

http://www.tiffany.com/images/products/zoom_images/14762027_xl.jpg

or this one with textured sides:

http://www.tiffany.com/images/products/zoom_images/12636032_xl.jpg

Not sure if I like this combo design gotta go see it:

http://www.tiffany.com/images/products/zoom_images/12277458_xl.jpg

Need some advice!

Any other brands I should be looking at? (I know little about jewelry)

Frost
11-24-05, 09:32 AM
Well, well, well. the last one pictured sure looks nice - as far as price, that's up to your own fiscal situation , but the need for extravagence is past ie; you;ve been together for some time, you don't need to impress the heck out of her now - she knows EXACTLY what she's got in you!!!!!!

airbalancer
11-24-05, 10:15 AM
I took off my ring 25 years ago as it kept getting caught on things at work.
Then a babysitter stole it.
Get the ring she wants, :histeric: end of question

NickySantoro
11-24-05, 12:16 PM
I took off my ring 25 years ago as it kept getting caught on things at work.
Then a babysitter stole it.
Get the ring she wants, :histeric: end of question

Absolutely! The symbolism means way more to the ladies than it does to us. If she wants Tiffany, you get Tiffany and assure that it was the best idea since the dawn of time even if you have no preference.

Sandy
11-24-05, 12:23 PM
Personally, I think the most basic & simple, over the years ahead, will always be the best choice, rather than fancy trimmings.... But you take your wife, and let her make the decession!
Be sure to put it on your homeowner's insurance policy. It will raise the cost of that policy maybe $20. @ yr. If lost they will pay you what you paid for it! $$$ well spent.

Boombotz
11-24-05, 12:45 PM
I like the last one pictured, but I also like the two-tone thing. It really depends on your wife's taste. Are you doing this as a surprise? If not let her go with you it will be fun. As far as the name thing I might be the only woman to say this but what difference does it make. The idea that you put your thought and heart into your choice is what matters. Don't worry so much about the name on it as you would the thought into the ring itself. I mean as long as it is quality, and you are know that then be assured the rest doesn't matter. Best of luck to you in this decision. Hopefully a woman's input helped a little.

airbalancer
11-24-05, 01:32 PM
Personally, I think the most basic & simple, over the years ahead, will always be the best choice, rather than fancy trimmings.... But you take your wife, and let her make the decession!
Be sure to put it on your homeowner's insurance policy. It will raise the cost of that policy maybe $20. @ yr. If lost they will pay you what you paid for it! $$$ well spent.
If the ring is in my price range (under a couple of 100) it should be cover under house insurance with out extra coverage as least my insurance does.

Spyder
11-24-05, 02:21 PM
I agree with the whole "take her" thing...but then again, it'd be awesome if you picked one out based on what you know she likes, then it'd be more meaningful and thoughtful and all...

DopeStar 156
11-24-05, 02:45 PM
Resident ring expert on site people, look out.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/ringsleft.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/ringsright.jpg

I like the second one you posted. Nicely decorated and it resembles one I have.

powerglide
11-24-05, 04:48 PM
Thank you everyone foor your input!

I kinda like the second one or the third one myself......I wanted to make it a surprise hence this tough decision. (but I guess the safe thing to do is to let her choose)

As far as scratch proof designs and comfort, I'm not sure. (Her engagement ring is smooth platinum and it got all scratched up. Do you think the second or third one is more or less prone to scratches?

Julie, ofcourse your ladies view is VERY helpful always :thumbsup:

c5 rv
11-24-05, 07:38 PM
The first two are classic designs for a lifetime. The tu-tone design will become dated.

I would suggest letting your wife pick, but you might end up buying one with diamonds like I did. Then we bought her a plain band when she started traveling to Mexico for work. After her accident, she put on weight and I bought her another plain band because she forgets about it.

SilverCTS
11-25-05, 10:56 AM
Let your wife make the decision. Let her pick it out and tell her she could have anything she wants. I would assume she is aware of budget constraints.

mccombie_5
11-25-05, 04:42 PM
THe plain one, as far as i can see is by far the nicest, patterned and two tone stuff dates and can look garish quickly.

My wife has a single White Gold band.

I have a single yellow gold band. Mine cost 40. Not alot, although it was 1980, We spent over 1000 on her engagemtn ring, so she didnt want an expensive wedding band.

zonie77
11-25-05, 05:54 PM
Nothing wrong with Costco quality. They are an interesting store. Almost everything has the same markup there! That's part of low cost of their jewlery. Limited selection, warehouse ambience, all adds to low price.

I'm not ashamed of anything I buy there.

Elvis
11-26-05, 06:56 PM
Mine looks sorta like the third one.