: '90 Accord EX Coupe for a deVille?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-05, 06:34 PM
Sorry to say this, but I'm probably going to trade my deVille in, and buy a Honda! :ill:

I'm doing this because of the unfixable coolant leak, and at this stage in my life, I do not need another big luxury car, I need something thats reliable, economical, and just basic transportation. Thats exactly what a Honda is.
I found a decent '90 Accord EX Coupe, 160k miles, he wants $1499 for it. I have been offered $1500 for my car at trade in.

I just need something basic to get me through college. I will buy a Town Car or Brougham after college as planned.

No don't worry, I will not become a ricer or Honda fanatic. I still LUV CADDYS (and lincolns)!

Don't hate me for this,:xevileye: I'm not selling out! :)

powerglide
11-23-05, 06:39 PM
As I said in the other thread..sometimes it makes sense to do what you have to do!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-05, 06:42 PM
Sorry about the double post...I figured I would get the most reponses/ views if i made a thread about it :)

gdwriter
11-24-05, 01:00 AM
No need to apologize for your choice. And if anybody gives you any crap over it, remember that opinions are like a**holes; everybody has one.

So here's mine (the former, not the latter): A Honda Accord is an excellent choice in many respects. If you only think of a car as a transportation appliance, it will do the job unobtrusively and reliably. If you want a car to be your partner on the road, the Accord will happily oblige. It's got a willing engine, sharp handling and strong brakes. Ergonomics are excellent.

I drove a '95 Accord LX for three-years and 57,000 trouble-free miles, my '99 Accord EX for six-and-half years and 75,000 trouble-free miles. I liked my '95, but I absolutely loved my '99. Even with a four-cylinder, it was fast.

My situation is a reverse of yours. An expensive divorce forced me to sell my Accord, and now my niece has a very nice first car. I got my '91 Cadillac with 200K miles for $999. I like it a lot, even though it's a much different car (although like my Honda, it's fast).

Good luck with the Accord—and with future Caddies.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-05, 01:26 AM
your deville has 200k miles?? Damn, it looks clean! :thumbsup: Thanks for your feedback!

Playdrv4me
11-24-05, 02:59 AM
I wont be saying anything... Im driving a ****** Hyundai. :mad:

Well, for now anyway... I foresee a 2003 Lincoln LS V8, 2004 Phaeton V8 or 2003 Range Rover in my future sometime soon.

powerglide
11-24-05, 03:14 AM
I drove a 98 Accord V6 for 4 years. Bought it new, put 80K miles on it and sold it for $14K cuz I had no time to get a better price. (bought for $24k) what a car. No problems EVER. and the resale value was so strong. Its like I leased the car for 200 bucks a month!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-05, 10:24 AM
Well I hear that Hondas hold their value like nothing else.

Jesda
11-24-05, 12:47 PM
I hated my Accord, but I liked its fuel economy, interior finish, and reliability. I had it for 20 days before I resold it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-05, 08:16 PM
What kind did you have Jesda?

Jesda
11-24-05, 09:33 PM
93 LX sedan. I guess in 20 days I couldnt judge its reliability, but at 110k nothing major, according to records, had ever gone wrong.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-24-05, 09:43 PM
I see, the reasons you liked your Accord are pretty much the same reasons I'm buying one. What kind of mileage did you get? I hear 25mpg is pretty much average. (no pun intended)

Jesda
11-24-05, 09:51 PM
27mpg is about what I got on the highway, and 22mpg in town. The passing power was quite good from the 4-banger, thanks to its light weight. Unfortunately, the light weight combined with the shape of the car made it pretty scary when being passed by a semi, and at the time 90% of my driving was on wide open interstates at 80mph. You could actually feel the car lifting up and moving over!

Other things I liked... the ride quality was quite good for a small car. The switchgear is fantastically precise and beefy. Seats were firm but shaped well enough to drive long distances. I think you'll like it. Mine was $4600 in 2003.

Night Wolf
11-25-05, 03:16 AM
27mpg is about what I got on the highway, and 22mpg in town. The passing power was quite good from the 4-banger, thanks to its light weight. Unfortunately, the light weight combined with the shape of the car made it pretty scary when being passed by a semi, and at the time 90% of my driving was on wide open interstates at 80mph. You could actually feel the car lifting up and moving over!

Other things I liked... the ride quality was quite good for a small car. The switchgear is fantastically precise and beefy. Seats were firm but shaped well enough to drive long distances. I think you'll like it. Mine was $4600 in 2003.

thats what I don't get.

The honda Accord with a 2.2L (?) 4banger gets 22/27 (as I have read from alot of ads on ebay)

My Oldsmobile got an honest 22mpg around town and 32mpg on the highway, with a larger, more heavy car and a 3800 V6.... and I drove it hard at times....

I really don't get it, that car was just amazing on gas... takes regular and I often got over 400 miles to a tank (18 gallon) obvisouly not running it empty.

damnit I miss that car.... back in NY :(

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-05, 12:23 PM
Jesda, I agree with you when you say its got some kick for a little 4 banger. It really is decently quick on the highway. It's not as quick as my deVille, but its hard to tell because my deVille is really quiet, and it doesnt gain RPM's a lot when you accelerate on the freeway, whereas the '91 Accord LX with 228k miles I test drove a while back was loud on the freeway, and when it kicks out of overdrive, the tach jumps quickly.

DBA-One
11-26-05, 10:10 PM
I've owned 3 Accord coupes. All great cars. @160k miles I'd want some records. They are great cars and built like a brick crap house. I really like them. They are not fast at all but then I'm used to Mustangs for that.