: Best Snow Tires??

Quadrasteer
11-23-05, 03:12 PM
Has anyone had any experience with snow tires on a V8 AWD? Michelin sent me two ads for tires that were supposed to made in our sizes one all season and one snow tire. They never made them. When you call them, the only tire that they make for this car is the OEM tire. The Pilots that come with the car are given a 10 (the best) for winter driving. They were terrible last year in the snow! I'm thinking of Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2s. Any advice?

sgilbert
11-23-05, 03:53 PM
Some time ago this came up, and the raves were about a Finnish tire. Can't remember the name, though. They ARE made in our odd-ball sizes.

Skiman
11-23-05, 11:44 PM
I have an '04 SRX AWD V8. Last winter, I got a set of four 235/65 17" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires mounted on Mille 1000 wheels. The selection in 18" sizes that came on the car was almost non-existent. So far, I'm very happy with these snow tires. I go skiing a lot here in Colorado, and they perform quite well. The narrower width vs stock will have better ice and snow traction.

Here's a tip: Take the "on-line" price from someone like Tire Rack to a local dealer. I got one to match their price!

analogist
11-24-05, 12:32 AM
Wat you want are Nokian tires, made in Finland. They come in exact SRX sizes and several dealers can be located on Google. I suspect you will probably keep them on the SRX all the time in lieu of the harsh Michelin Pilots.

analogist

syrob@MSN.COM
11-24-05, 12:50 PM
Has anyone had any experience with snow tires on a V8 AWD? Michelin sent me two ads for tires that were supposed to made in our sizes one all season and one snow tire. They never made them. When you call them, the only tire that they make for this car is the OEM tire. The Pilots that come with the car are given a 10 (the best) for winter driving. They were terrible last year in the snow! I'm thinking of Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2s. Any advice?

I have the GT M2 on 17 take off rims, same size tire front and rear, GREAT, NOTHING STOPS THIS THING...

SYROB

sgilbert
11-24-05, 03:27 PM
"NOTHING STOPS THIS THING."

What's with that? :)

Quadrasteer
11-27-05, 05:41 PM
Why would you put the same size on front and rear when the M2s come in both our sizes? The factory tires are made to be used in all season conditions.

syrob@MSN.COM
11-29-05, 08:36 AM
Why would you put the same size on front and rear when the M2s come in both our sizes? The factory tires are made to be used in all season conditions.

The GT are not made in two sizes for this car. Dunlop Grandtrek WT M2 winter radial "NOT" Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2 winter radial

The factory tires stink compared to any snow tire.

SYROB

Quadrasteer
11-30-05, 02:22 PM
I meant that the OEM sizes were meant for all seasons, the tires themselves are terrible in the snow. According to Tire Rack and Dunlop the GT MT2s do come in 255/55-HR 18 but they reccomend using the front size for all fours.

Lark
11-30-05, 05:19 PM
Ok you are all making me a tad nervous. I have an '05 SRX rear wheel drive (I bought it in late June, because I got a terrific price, and there were no AWD's left). At the time, I didn't worry too much, but now that the snows are coming, I'm wondering if anyone has the RWD and if so, what are your thoughts on handling in the snow? I was assuming that the factory tires are all season, and good for snow. Let me have it. Ugh. BTW, when we were all foolish and young (in the 60's), no one had AWD, or 4WD and we all survived! Go figure. :hmm:

syrob@MSN.COM
11-30-05, 05:37 PM
I meant that the OEM sizes were meant for all seasons, the tires themselves are terrible in the snow. According to Tire Rack and Dunlop the GT MT2s do come in 255/55-HR 18 but they reccomend using the front size for all fours.
The 17 inch GT only come in one size...

SYROB

Lark
12-02-05, 01:06 PM
OK - where is everyone? Any RWD '05's out there and if so, what is your take on the factory all-season tires in snow? I have called two dealerships asking whether snow tires are recommended, and both places said no - claiming that the all season tires (factory) should be fine, with TC. They have not had anyone put snows on - ?? Opinions?? I will definitely put them on if the factory all season are as terrible as some of you have indicated. The Nokian's sound great, BTW.

BarryH_GEG
12-03-05, 12:23 AM
I'm picking my SRX tomorrow. I've already ordered snows for it. If you read a bunch of different tire discussion/review sites, the majority of people rate the Michelins pretty poor in the snow. They don't keep up with street plowing where I live and it's hilly and we get a lot of ice. The snows cost about $600 installed. Only $100 more than my deductable if something were to happen. The piece of mind is worth it. The tires I got are Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice because they come in the SRX's staggered sizes. The Dunlop tire mentioned earlier in the thread comes in staggered sizes also and cost about $40.00 per tire more.

syrob@MSN.COM
12-03-05, 06:46 PM
OK - where is everyone? Any RWD '05's out there and if so, what is your take on the factory all-season tires in snow? I have called two dealerships asking whether snow tires are recommended, and both places said no - claiming that the all season tires (factory) should be fine, with TC. They have not had anyone put snows on - ?? Opinions?? I will definitely put them on if the factory all season are as terrible as some of you have indicated. The Nokian's sound great, BTW.

Very easy answer, with RWD and factory the traction is VERY POOR...

SYROB

syrob@MSN.COM
12-03-05, 06:48 PM
I'm picking my SRX tomorrow. I've already ordered snows for it. If you read a bunch of different tire discussion/review sites, the majority of people rate the Michelins pretty poor in the snow. They don't keep up with street plowing where I live and it's hilly and we get a lot of ice. The snows cost about $600 installed. Only $100 more than my deductable if something were to happen. The piece of mind is worth it. The tires I got are Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice because they come in the SRX's staggered sizes. The Dunlop tire mentioned earlier in the thread comes in staggered sizes also and cost about $40.00 per tire more.

TireRack the snow tire experts recommend one size for front and rear for that car, NOT staggered...
SYROB

BarryH_GEG
12-04-05, 12:39 AM
TireRack the snow tire experts recommend one size for front and rear for that car, NOT staggered...
SYROB

If the same brand/model of tire comes in the both sizes, I can't possible see what difference it would make. I know the manager at Discount Tire and he's the one that made the recommendation. I could understand if the wheels were staggered sizes like BMW, but the tires alone shouldn't matter. BTW, the regular wheels on my BMW are staggered but he recommeded a non-staggered wheel/tire setup for winter.

Jon
12-04-05, 12:56 AM
I have a set of Blizaaks comin for my V. I'll let you know how those work.

My buddy just got a set of Nokians for his Mazda3. Thing sounds like a bus, lotta road noise from the tires, sounds like you're driving on concrete.

Lark
12-06-05, 11:01 AM
Well, I did order the Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice snowtires on Friday from TireRack.com and they arrived today (from Indiana!)....so now I will feel much more reassured. My husband thinks I'm nuts for buying snow tires, but I disagree. They're being installed on the 12th and I can't wait!! It's snowing here in MA! These do come in two different sizes, and the guy at TR suggested that if I'm just buying the tires, then go with the 2 sizes; otherwise, I could have bought 4 Blizzaks (all the same size), mounted, for mucho bucks (because the tire pressure rmonitors cost 40$$$ more /rim rims). I decided to go with the tires alone.

Can't wait!! Thanks all!

GerryMarsh
12-10-05, 07:04 PM
I have an '04 V8 RWD and used the factory all seasons last winter with out much difficulty. This year though, with an additional summer of wear on the tires, traction is just terrible (tread isn't completely worn or anything, there's still lots of depth left). But, I could barely touch the gas during a drive in the snowfall the other day without the traction control engaging. I'm now trying to figure out which winter tires to go with.

GM Goodwrench is advertising themselves as "my winter tire expert" so for fun I stopped in at my dealer yesterday. Might as well have gone to the grocery store for all they knew about the right tires for my car.

I like the idea of the 17"ers as an option. I'd rather not be taking tires on/off wheels in the fall and spring and there are many more choices in the 17" sizes.

What about the pressure monitors, is that $40 to put a new monitor/sensor in the wheel?

Can one of you using 17" provide more specific detail on which wheels/tires will work.

Skiman
12-10-05, 10:36 PM
GerryMarsh,

See my reply above (third from top).

I did not add the pressure sensors to my snow tire wheels. The monitor will "search" for a signal, and finding none, will display " service tire pressure monitor". I just hit "O.K." and it goes away, until the next time I start the engine.

Going to a 17" wheel expands the selection of available snow tires, not to mention they cost a lot less. Using the larger size tires on the rear is not necessary for snow tires, in my opinion.

mark77
12-12-05, 04:32 AM
I have a set of Blizaaks comin for my V. I'll let you know how those work.
My buddy just got a set of Nokians for his Mazda3. Thing sounds like a bus, lotta road noise from the tires, sounds like you're driving on concrete.

I have Studded Nokians and I hardly hear them at all. The Mazda 3 is a very noisy car, no matter what kind of tires are on.

Lark
12-13-05, 12:18 PM
:banghead: Arrrrgh. While sitting in the waiting room at the Caddy dealership yesterday (waiting for my new snows to be put on), I was told that they are the wrong size. I think you could see steam pouring from my ears. Tire Rack screwed this one up, royally. They sent me 18" rims (which I didn't notice because I didn't look at them when they were delivered). So, they have to be shipped back to Tire Rack (on them), and then re-ship the correct size Pirelli Scorpion and Ice. The guy who took my order called to apologize, which was a good thing. So it's back to the dealership to have them installed once they arrive. If I keep this car a few years, I may invest in rims.

I still feel more secure with the snows, despite my husband telling me that they aren't necessary. Everything I've read about RWD tells me it's the smart thing to do, especially here in MA in winter (and we just got blasted with 12" last Friday).

beekay
12-20-05, 02:52 PM
If you search the thread you will find all this from last winter!

Blizzak are very soft and your SRX will eat them in one season. my A4 gets 2 seasons on the high end out of them

Nokkian's are probably the best and logest lasting of all the snows out there.

I have the Dunlop's on my SRX with winter 17's no tire pressure sensors and all the same size. they are doing well and the tread is holding up great for season 2. my winters stay on from late September to May (9,000 feet in colorado).

Snow tires on any vehicle will make a big difference. They are even more valuable when you are FWD or RWD.

bk

benamaster
12-25-05, 05:28 PM
On My Escalade I have Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor All Season tires and they grip great in the Michigan snow and I believe the come in smaller sizes for the SRX.

syrob@MSN.COM
12-26-05, 08:04 AM
On My Escalade I have Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor All Season tires and they grip great in the Michigan snow and I believe the come in smaller sizes for the SRX.

Junk for the SRX as far as snow goes...Very nice dry but very high rolling resistance due to unique cusion design (1-2 poorer mpg)...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Fortera+SilentArmor

Compared to the good tires mentioned above

..."I rated these tires high for wet and dry traction and steering but I will be returning these tires as they are the worst tire I have had for snow and Ice conditions."...

SYROB

benamaster
12-27-05, 07:58 PM
My best guess would be is that they work better for me because of the extra weight of the Escalade ESV.

syrob@MSN.COM
12-29-05, 07:37 PM
My best guess would be is that they work better for me because of the extra weight of the Escalade ESV.

Yes, most likely that would be true...

SYROB

Ti-Guy
01-20-06, 01:03 PM
I had a very good chance to try my new Pirelli Scorpion Ice on my AWD 06' leaving home in a snow storm on 25th Dec. Had no choice since they were the only ones available in our area. I was very pleased with them and coming back home on dry roads, would not notice much difference with my 4season Michelin. Besides, summer tire will last longer if not used 5 months a year...:)

kipawariver
10-13-06, 10:37 PM
Just bought a '06 AWD V-6 and will definately be installing Nokian snows (studded) for our winters here in Northern Ontario. I've had lots of experience with AWD vehicles here in the north where the snow we get in November stays till the thaw in March. There is no comparison between so-called "all season radials" and true snow tires. It's always best to get true summer tires (great handling) and snows for the winter.
My understanding of the size issue is that it is the same as mud tires on a 4x4. You should go to a slightly narrower tire in the winter to cut through the snow better and help alleviate riding on top of the snow. As long as the rolling diameter is the same as stock, there should be no problems with computers or ABS.

beekay
10-15-06, 03:31 PM
as everyone says, the stocks are aweful in the snow. Yes Aweful!

I had the Dunlop M2 Snows and they were a solid tire. I got 2 seasons out of them, and the price was right on Tire rack. got 17" wheels almost new on ebay for 350 all 4 wheels delivered. Mounted the Dunlops and I was happy.

Looking at new ones this year. but not sure what to do, as the lease expires in June, so I dont want to shell much out on this thing right now.
bk

Smokin' SRX
10-17-06, 10:06 AM
as everyone says, the stocks are aweful in the snow. Yes Aweful!

I had the Dunlop M2 Snows and they were a solid tire. I got 2 seasons out of them, and the price was right on Tire rack. got 17" wheels almost new on ebay for 350 all 4 wheels delivered. Mounted the Dunlops and I was happy.

Looking at new ones this year. but not sure what to do, as the lease expires in June, so I dont want to shell much out on this thing right now.
bk

The best thing to do (you already know it!) is to get some new snow tires!!! I also hate to spend $ on a lease vehicle but you can sell them, with the rims, on E-bay in the fall, and be safe all winter!!

I'm just getting 4 new Dunlap All-Season Sport 5000 SP (255/55/18H ) installed this week. (yes I'm going all one size!) Based on the outstandingly mediocre Michelin's that came OEM, (they got me around OK) I should be fine with the average high of 6-12" snow we get here in lower NY state, with the Dunlaps and my AWD. But I'd buy SNOWS in Colorado!

Just one accident or serious off-road "venture" that strands you and you'll wish you had gotten them!!

Treat yourself good! that's why we buy SRX'S!!! :D

beekay
10-17-06, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I know. we just moved down towards Denver from Conifer (8900 feet). up there, i would have them on already, but down here, we are still quite a bit nicer. The BFG G-Force TA's are not all season, so I need something. i am just procrastinating!

Snows are the only way to go!
bk

beekay
10-17-06, 05:30 PM
Just bought a full set of Cooper Mud and snow from Swis Tire 521 installed, including lifetime rotation and balancing, not that I need that much, but Tire rack was not much cheaper for dunlops, 508 shipped, plus install.

Smokin' SRX
10-17-06, 05:46 PM
Just bought a full set of Cooper Mud and snow from Swis Tire 521 installed, including lifetime rotation and balancing, not that I need that much, but Tire rack was not much cheaper for dunlops, 508 shipped, plus install.

You did the smart thing! Enjoy that snow!! And what a good price. I'm now paying (this week!) $721 installed, for 4 Dunlap 255/55-18H SP 5000 All Seasons. BYE BYE Michelin!! Will report soon!

beekay
10-17-06, 06:23 PM
not a bad price for the 18's SWIS was charging me 850 i think for the coopers on 18's. the price I mentioned above is for 17's (my snow wheels)

you will be so happy when those freakin tires are gone!
bk

BarryH_GEG
10-18-06, 01:14 PM
Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice come in our staggered sizes. I used them last year on my V8 AWD and they did really well.

Smokin' SRX
10-24-06, 05:20 PM
not a bad price for the 18's SWIS was charging me 850 i think for the coopers on 18's. the price I mentioned above is for 17's (my snow wheels)

you will be so happy when those freakin tires are gone!
bk

The Dunlap's I mentioned above are on!!! Great ride, price, ( MAVIS.com) handling etc............and I can now ROTATE!!! (got 255/55-18H on all four corners! NO PROBLEMS!!
With their All -Season rating and AWD, I expect zero problems with the 6-15" of snow down here!!
With RWD, I'd get snows on the rear. SAME size all around is the way to go! :bouncy: