: Brush with DEATH!

Elvis
11-23-05, 11:10 AM
:suspense: :eek:

Last night, coming home from work, it was about 6:15, dark. 40mph, this place is notorious for being a speed trap.

No warning, a deer jumped right in front of me. Maybe 30 feet ahead. I STOOD on the brake, and to my surprise that big-ass Ford truck came to a stop just in time! Anti-lock didn't even have to kick in. Those brakes just grabbed and did their job. The Expedition was as stable as it could be.

The deer crossed in front of me, so I started rolling again, watching in the side-view mirror to see what happened next. Unfortunately for the deer, a guy in an F-250 was going the other direction. I don't think he was paying attention or he would've seen the deer in MY headlights and the way I had come to a complete stop.

I heard the impact. Actually I heard two impacts, kind of like--CLAP, BAM!

I watched the other truck pull over to the side. I turned around and pulled up behind him. NO DEER!

He said the antlers went flying over the top of his hood. The left headlight assembly was busted all to hell, and the body wrapped around the left front fender, bending it in about 3". When he opened his door it creaked really badly.

NO DEER! We couldn't see it anywhere we expected to. I offered to go find the cops for him since I live near City Hall and I was almost home. On the way back home I saw the deer. The impact knocked it about 25 feet across the highway. Three legs broken, head split open, antlers broken off.

I came SO close to hitting it myself. I'm really thankful I didn't, it would have been heartbreaking first that I killed a deer, second that I killed my new truck!!! I'm really glad I didn't SEE it happen.

I'm buying deer whistles today to mount on my bumper.

Kev
11-23-05, 11:58 AM
Wow! Glad you and your truck came out unscathed!

Katshot
11-23-05, 12:22 PM
Glad you're okay. Deer vs. car can be deadly for the driver of the car as well as the deer. I've seen it happen many times. I've had several close calls in cars but my 2 close calls on motorcycles were by far the scariest!

slk230mb
11-23-05, 12:28 PM
Glad you're okay Elvis.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-23-05, 12:33 PM
What's a deer whistle?

ben72227
11-23-05, 01:11 PM
It's a whistle that scares deers away:thepan:

Lord Cadillac
11-23-05, 01:19 PM
Wow. I'm glad the truck has good brakes!

powerglide
11-23-05, 01:20 PM
Nice miss!!

That could have been an expensive hassle.....offset by free venison :)

powerglide
11-23-05, 01:20 PM
It's a whistle that scares deers away:thepan:
Supposed to anyways....

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-23-05, 01:22 PM
Ah, not like a dog whistle then that attracts them.

<grin>

Elvis
11-23-05, 01:25 PM
I have six on order.

http://www.deerwhistle.com/

http://deerwhistle.com/ANIMATION/Whistle1.gif

Spyder
11-23-05, 01:37 PM
I damn near hit a deer when I was up in Oregon...scared the hell out of me, as I came around a long slow turn and it just kinda jumped in front of me...glad to hear you're alright, and hopefully those things'll work!

Katshot
11-23-05, 01:42 PM
I remember reading a few years back that those things don't really work. I tried a couple different types on our fleet cars and actually had a deer run into one of the cars that had the whistles on it. The others had no incidents but to be honest, I really don't think it proved anything. You ever do a search on them to see if there's been any data recorded on them?

Elvis
11-23-05, 02:06 PM
I remember reading a few years back that those things don't really work. I tried a couple different types on our fleet cars and actually had a deer run into one of the cars that had the whistles on it. The others had no incidents but to be honest, I really don't think it proved anything. You ever do a search on them to see if there's been any data recorded on them?

There's really no proof. In principle these things should work, but you never know. They could be attracting the deer to the road out of curiosity!

There is a powered whistle that runs all the time, no matter what speed you're running. They claim to have tested their whistle on hundreds of state trooper cars and have results to back up their claims.

But that whistle costs $59.95. I posted some info on it a couple months ago.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53148&highlight=deer

90Brougham350
11-24-05, 12:40 AM
Glad to hear your alright Elvis! Hitting dear blows. The insurance, the repair, the whole mess sucks. Out here in the sticks, my mother has hit 4 and my father 2. Every morning going to work or even back in highschool, I'd see groups of 10, 15, 20 out in fields. They cross the road infront of you often, and when one goes, you know there's about 8 more right behind it. They eat my mother's hostas too! Damn Minnesota with our deer mega-overpopulation!

fast66
11-24-05, 12:49 AM
Good to see you alright

I think there was a ford expedition commercial just like this

addison_ii
11-25-05, 01:41 AM
Nice to hear you are safe Elvis. BTW did you get some venison anyway??

Elvis
11-26-05, 05:57 PM
That meat was pre-tenderized. It was a warm night, so unfortunately it didn't keep until morning.

mccombie_5
11-27-05, 03:22 PM
Didnt see this thread Elvis, glad youre ok!

One of my pals in the States (I'm not sure where he was) hit one in his 99 Park Avenue. The insurance totalled his car, he was very lucky. It went through the passenger side of the car, the deers head was actually in the passenger seat.

He is a travelling rep, so he could have been anywhere in the US.

I remember seeing photographs of the damage, it is astonoshing that anyone could survive it.

He was travelling at 80.

Elvis
11-27-05, 06:40 PM
If I had been in my Honda I don't think I would've seen the deer, thus I wouldn't have slammed on the brakes, and the deer would've probably ended up in my lap.

The deer whistles are ON ORDER and shipped on Wednesday! Should arrive this week.

Boombotz
11-27-05, 08:47 PM
Good thing for those brakes. Glad your O.k.! Sorry for the other guy and the deer though!

JimHare
11-27-05, 11:30 PM
New Jersey also has an Bambi overpopulation problem. I know at least 8 to 10 people that have had deer incidents, and they can indeed be very damaging to all parties involved, mechanical and otherwise.

The problem is, deer are stupid - they rank just slightly above cows on the "duh..what are them shiny things whizzing past? Let's go look" meter. I've seen them, in broad daylight, stand at the side of the road while I approached, staring right at me, and then bound out in to the middle of the highway when I was about 20 yards off. Had I been velocitizing at my normal speed, it would have been James 1, Deer 0....

Since most of the roads around here in Salem are, to put it mildly, paved deer tracks, I'm especially careful if I'm out and about early in the AM or towards dusk. Hunting season and spring horniness tend to aggravate the problem as well (among the deer, not me..:)

For an odd counterpoint however, casual users of the Atlantic City Expressway between Philly and AC often seen small herds of "pine barren deer", numbering from 3 or 4 to upwards of a dozen, grazing peacefully on the side of the road, mere feet from speeding limos, produce trucks, and exhausted gamblers. And the number of carcasses I've seen along that road over the years is less than 4 or 5. Odd.

Just everybody be careful.