: Service Engine Soon? What's that Noise?

Flyerfan
12-12-03, 02:31 PM
I just passed 121K in my '94 DeVille Concours...Yup...the yellow "Service Engine Soon" light came on ...but it's intermittent. Don't see any change in engine performance...I do know my idle is a little on the high side.... I was hoping that someone could tell me how to access the diagnostics on my dash...and maybe even what the diagnostics are trying to tell me.

I've also got a low moaning or whining sound from under the hood. (Related?...maybe/maybe not)...the noise was there long before the light came on...with the hood up, I can't pinpoint the source...engine runs smooth...gas mileage still about the same.

Looking for all the help I can get.

Rich
'94 Deville Senior Pilot

J.A.O.
12-13-03, 01:08 PM
The low moaning could be the power steering pump. The light could be something simple like a bad O2 Sensor. Normally when those start to go you will not notice any change in performance

kcnewell
12-13-03, 03:01 PM
I agree on the power steering pump....That's usually the case.

Flyerfan
12-15-03, 01:07 AM
The low moaning could be the power steering pump. The light could be something simple like a bad O2 Sensor. Normally when those start to go you will not notice any change in performance

Thanks to both of you for the response....I'll check into that PS pump..out comes the wallet again.

Rich

timber6860
12-16-03, 11:22 PM
Dumb whiney cars...one of my whines was an alternator, and another was a water pump. They can get pretty whiney too.

Allante North *
12-17-03, 03:18 PM
I've also got a low moaning or whining sound from under the hood. (Related?...maybe/maybe not)...the noise was there long before the light came on...with the hood up, I can't pinpoint the source...engine runs smooth...gas mileage still about the same.

My whining sounds usually emit from the vicinity of the passenger seat and sound like this " Slow Down, I gotta pee, or when are we gonna get there"

Good luck with yours, it sounds fixable. Mine is not!