FlashRed
11-21-05, 11:35 PM
1997 Seville Sts:

White Exhaust When Warming Car Up.

New Thermostat.

Not Over Heating

Dadillac
11-21-05, 11:40 PM
What's the temperature by you? It is in the 40's in the am here in NJ, and the N* let's out some smoke. This is normal. Now if you tell me it does this when it is in the 90's, I would say there is a problem.

Don

auroradude
11-21-05, 11:42 PM
Omg, its because of the chilly weather dude. I thought the same thing (head gaskets) when my car ddi that before. But it did it when i would warm start it too, but not recently. That used to worry me before, and the fact it always smells a little "sweet" but not str:want: ong. It still smells noticeably sweet and other guys have asked me about that out of curiousity. What does it smell like?

FlashRed
11-22-05, 12:00 AM
It is in the 40's here but I never really noticed it beeing this bad. I was told it may be a head gasket! How can I know foe sure?

danbuc
11-22-05, 02:11 AM
I could be mistaken, but I think that higher compression engines like the N* (i.e. 10:1 and above) have a tendency to produce a little white smoke when it's cold outside. If it's just a little bit of wispy diluted smoke, then it's nothing to really worry about. If it seems like you car is running on a steam engine bellowing thick white smoke out the tailpipe, then you shoudl be concerned. Otherwise, do worry.

Katshot
11-22-05, 05:51 AM
The white "smoke" is most likely just condensation being burned off through the exhaust. Totally normal for ANY car. As long as the smoke stops after a short while and you don't notice a reduction in the coolant level, you're fine. But if the smoking continues, or you notice the coolant disappearing, you "may" have a head gasket problem.

jupiter57
11-22-05, 03:16 PM
I would say you have plain old condensate (read "STEAM", not smoke) coming from your tailpipe, quite normal since cooler weather is here, it would be especially heavy if the car hadn't been thoroughly warmed up to operating temperature during the last startup.
I have seen water literally dripping from the tailpipe on cold days, and, if you dont get the engine up to operating temperature before shutting it off, the condensate will be "standing" inside the muffler and any low spots in the pipes.

This thread reminds me of the time a few years ago, I had a Chevy truck for sale.
An interested buyer shows up one very cold (Mid 20's) February day for a test drive.
Started it up, idled for a few minutes, put it in gear and hit the road, pedal to the metal!
Looks in the mirror and exclaimed "Man this thing is smoking like a freight train! How much oil does it use, anyway?!"

Uh, excuse me, but all internal combustion engines produce condensation, especially before they have fully warmed up!

(If I had been quick enough on the draw, I would have told him to quickly park the truck, as he is too stupid to be driving!)