: Xbox 360

SpeedyArizona
11-22-05, 12:21 AM
Anyone picking up one of these stupidly expensive game systems? I'll be leaving in about a half hour to wait outside of Walmart to get one for my Godson. It's ridiculous what they're charging for these things, $400/ pop:cookoo: !

I can't wait to see EBAY tomorrow morning when they've been officially released, it'll be crawling with brand new 360's going for thousands and thousands of dollars!

...I'm going to beat out all those other parents:lildevil: !

terrible one
11-22-05, 12:22 AM
Meh, I'll stick to the PC. Still spits out better graphics when properly equipped, and does oh-so-much more

gary88
11-22-05, 12:24 AM
I'm waiting for the PS3. I already played an Xbox 360 at the target I live by, and I wasn't all that impressed by it.

Playdrv4me
11-22-05, 12:28 AM
Ya my friend Jason is already out waiting. Apparently Im supposed to be joining him at some point tonight to help him double his chances at getting one.

BTW... Neither the XBOX360 or PS3 are probably going to sell out quite as fast or be anywhere near as impressive as their previous generation counterparts were at their introduction. The technology in the previous machines was already so advanced in comparison with came before them (and the XBOX was all new) there wasnt much more to do but improve on things like anti-aliasing and shading/raster stuff. The new systems are more about expandability and versatility than sheer graphics. That era has passed. And yes, any average joe can now put together a PC that can equal or surpass them.

Another thing that most people dont really think about, is that much like learning a new tool in the shop, it takes the developers time to fully take advantage of all the power the new machines can give their games. This is why alot of times the best games for any particular system start to show up around the middle of its lifespan. This isnt always the case, but it is more times than not.

Only the Nintendo Revolution will probably be a bit of a noticeable advance over the Gamecube.

fast66
11-22-05, 12:29 AM
Good luck in line, Hope you get one!
I was thinking of getting one of ebay but for a 1,000 no way!
would rather wait till the holiday is over

SpeedyArizona
11-22-05, 12:33 AM
I was thinking of going to Best Buy, but they're sold out from pre-orders. Walmart has 24 (from my sources) that aren't ore-ordered and up for grabs. Now I'm usually a nice, kind person, but if someone gets in my way...well it won't be pretty.

I can't wait to hear some stories tomorrow about people getting trampled on for this stupid thing.

P.S. Ebay is already crawling with thousands of 360 listings and the people listing them don't even have one yet!

terrible one
11-22-05, 12:37 AM
Yeah I saw all of that on Ebay. Funny really... PS3's are on there as well.

ben72227
11-22-05, 01:21 AM
I'll wait for the PS3. The 360 is supposed to lagging behind Sony this generation in nearly every area...Microsoft was quick to the gate, which left Sony with more time to fully develop their system. I like PC gaming much more, but it's nice to have a console as well, for those other games...like SOCOM:D. My PC isn't nice enough, and the graphics power in the PS3 would costs thousands of dollars if i bought a PC with that kind of graphics power in it...

Blackout
11-22-05, 07:36 AM
I've been waiting for this for quite sometime now. But for the PS3 guys you are going to be highly disappointed. Since Microsoft got the XBOX360 out first and they already have the pricing out first they have to keep the price tag of the PS3 in the same area as the 360's. Since there are 2 versions of the 360 (with harddrive $400 w/o hard drive $300) Sony is forced to take out a lot of the stuff that the PS3 was supposed to have so they can price it around that of the 360. PS3 is/was supposed to cost around $500. So what was going to be a good system is now up in the air as to what it will look like when it comes out. After playing 360 I would say that the PS3 better deliver because the 30 sure does. But Sony has dropped the ball as of late when it comes to introducing new system's. Nintendo got the DS out first so that forced Sony to drop the price on the PSP and now Microsoft is doing it with releasing the 360 first. If I remember correctly i think Sony has been actually losing money off of the PSP's since they had to drop the price so now that is why if you want stuff for your PSP it costs extra and the memory sticks aren't just regular Sony memory sticks they are "specially" for the PSP and now you have the DVD's also. So Sony is making their money back form the hits they are taking for the PSP's through other crap available for the PSP

Boombotz
11-22-05, 07:53 AM
I was thinking of going to Best Buy, but they're sold out from pre-orders. Walmart has 24 (from my sources) that aren't ore-ordered and up for grabs. Now I'm usually a nice, kind person, but if someone gets in my way...well it won't be pretty.

I can't wait to hear some stories tomorrow about people getting trampled on for this stupid thing.

P.S. Ebay is already crawling with thousands of 360 listings and the people listing them don't even have one yet!

Well did you get one???

SpeedyArizona
11-22-05, 09:33 AM
I got it :D! I was there about an hour and a half before the doors opened and managed to shove my way to the front (ok, I lied about being a nice person). Walmart had around 38 or so units available, and I grabbed mine as quickly as I could. Here's a funny story:

I just went through the check-out line and paid the $400. I proceeded to the Eldorado and a 40 something parent came up to me and asked to buy it from me! He offered me $600, but I passed and hopped in my car. He said, "Do you know if they'll be available tomorrow?", I told him yes and he started to walk off.

If anyone wants one, look on EBAY, most consoles start at $420+ and many are already up to $600+!

It was an interesting experience though.

90Brougham350
11-22-05, 01:42 PM
One of the guys I live with bought 2 at Target this morning. Waited all night long in the parking lot. If you ask me, it's a lot of money for something that doesn't play Vice City. Screw it.

JC316
11-22-05, 02:54 PM
You NEVER buy a first year system. I always wait at least a year for them to work the bugs out so I don't wind up buying two of them. Want examples?

1. PS1 - Faulty cd drives resulting in errors.
2. Dreamcast - Faulty GD rom drives resulting in read errors and a few sliced up fingers.
3. PS2 - Same as PS1. Also too small trace lines on motherboard resulting is power failure.
4. Xbox - Faulty DVD drives resulting in the dreaded "disc is damaged" screen. Also small trace lines. 3 years later they find out the power cords can be bad.
5. Sega CD - The biggest piece of crap that was ever produced.
6. Sega 32X - See above.

Plus if those examples aren't enough, they will rape you with the outrageous prices. They also don't have very good games that can really show off the systems hardware yet. Personally I am going to upgrade my computer, which for the price of an xbox, I can get a HELLUVA computer. I will wait for it to drop to $200 and $300 for the different systems, which will probably be a litttle bit before PS3 comes out and then buy one. I have been buying systems for a long time now and I am starting to notice the patterns and marketing strategies they use.

VinnyT
11-22-05, 03:03 PM
One just sold for $10,100!!!!!:cookoo: More money than sense.......

fast66
11-22-05, 04:02 PM
Wow!

ben72227
11-22-05, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't pay that much for such a mediocre system...

If you have that kind of money, you should just buy a Northwest Falcon computer...

LIke I said, the 360 is nothing special, and it looks like Sony is pretty much going to dominate this time around...They already have the loyal base, and when they get the exclusive games rolling out (Gran Turismo, SOCOM, Killzone, etc.) Now that the hardware will be able to keep up with it, Killzone is pretty much going to dominate the FPS...The PS2 wasn't nearly strong enough, and the game slowed down on the system and lagged somewhat. But the PS3 willl, like I said, dominate anything. The graphics processor in the PS3 will be pulling nearly 2 TFLOPS (a tflop is one TRILLION floating calculations PER SECOND, and the PS3 can pull TWO of those, meaning TWO TRILLION calculations PER SECOND). The XBOX 360 pulls about half of that...Also, for those who are uptodate with computer graphics cards, the PS3 graphics will have the power of TWO Nvidia GeForce 6800 ultras combined, and then some more:histeric:.

Basically, you'd have to spend about $1000 to get that kind of graphics power in a computer, and that's just for graphics cards alone...That's why the PS3 is such a great buy...

To illustrate the graphics power, here is a screenshot from Tekken6, in which you can actually see the sweat beads rolling down this guys face...;)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Tekken6.jpg/800px-Tekken6.jpg

And here is the actual system, for those who haven't seen it yet:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/ImagePs305.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Ps3-4.jpg

And here's a sample video of what real time gaming will be like on the PS3, this is from Killzone PS3 (working title) and as you can see, it pretty much dominates all other FPS of the current generation:

(Warning, this is a 56k killer, don't get it unless you have broadband):
http://xfersf07.ign.com/^7769784/movies/streamingmovies.ign.com/docroot/ps3/article/641/641096/killzone_081005_wmvlowwide.wmv?position=front

Anyway, from IGN, here are the 10 reasons to wait for a PS3, rather than get the 360:

Reason #10: Xbox 360 Doesn't Have a Killer App
All it has for launch is a bunch of run of the mill EA sports games...
Reason #9: Dual-Screen and 1080p Support
The PS3 will have both, the 360 has neither...
Reason #8: Hefty Expandability / Connectivity Options
You can connect it to a PSP and much, much more
Reason #7: You Can Still Pre-Order
Rather than have to wait in a god awful line...
Reason #6: Seven-Player Wireless Support
Wireless support...for SEVEN PLAYERS...that means you can have a party and all play Madden at the same time...wireless controllers...seven players:crying:
Reason #5: The HD IP Camera
This is a new version of the eyetoy; its wireless, and uses HD TV kind of format, it's in real time too...
Reason #4: Full Backwards Compatibility
That's right, every PS1 game, every PS2 game, but the 360 can't play old XBOX games because they switched graphics processors...:histeric:They're trying to get one or two (like Halo) to work, but don't expect the whole library to work. Playstation, on the other hand, will have FULL backwards compatibility...
Reason #3: Stronger Japanese Developer Support
Sony is a Japanese company, the PS has been around for over a decade, and it had good ties with LOTS of companies - Konami, Namco, Polyphony Digital, etc.
Reason #2: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
An exclusive game, along with tons of other exclusives like Ace Combat, SOCOM, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, Sly Cooper, Gran Turismo, etc.
Reason #1: The Blu-ray Player
This is the next version of DVD; much like the PS2 before it introduced DVDs to us, the PS3 will introduce Blu-Ray discs, which hold MUCH more data than the current-generation DVDs which the XBOX 360 is using...

Basically, when the PS3 comes out, the XBOX360 will be obsolete...

VinnyT
11-22-05, 07:33 PM
Anyone spending $10,000+ for the Xbox is a complete moron. That person should have to wear an "I" on every shirt he/she wears to signify that he or she is an idiot. It is just more holiday hype that put millions more in Gates' back pocket. I'd rather have my kids go outside and play than sit for hours in front of the TV playing these games. It is all completely insane.:bonkers:

SpeedyArizona
11-22-05, 08:27 PM
Basically, when the PS3 comes out, the XBOX360 will be obsolete...

I disagree with that, the XBOX 360 sales will drop a bit, but the 360 won't be obsolete. I haven't a clue about half the technological mumbo-jumbo you posted, but I'm sure he will like the 360 nonetheless.

I found the currect percentage of gaming consoles that control the market:

32% XBOX
54% Playstation2
14% Gamecube (what is this?)

ben72227
11-22-05, 08:47 PM
That's WAY off. The real percentage is more like 70% PS2, 18% XBOX, and 12% Gamecube...And trust me, it will most definately be obsolete. The 360 offers nothing groundbreaking; it uses the current dvd format that we use right now, the same DVD format that was INTRODUCED to the mass public by the PS2:sneaky:, it's processor is current gen too, just a bunch of pentium 4s put together.

The PS3 has a next gen processor dubbed "The Cell" made by IBM and a hell of a lot of other cutting edge companies, it uses new graphics system by Nvidia, and like i said, it pulls twice the amount of TFLOPS as the XBOX360, which basically means, its TWICE as powerful...

Slywun
11-22-05, 08:47 PM
I'm totally out of it, I wasn't even aware that there was a PS3 coming. I love my PS2. I checked a few placed today for the 360, some of the stores stated that all units expected through January are accounted for.....

Probably will hold out for the PS3, need to do some research.

JC316
11-22-05, 09:40 PM
The main thing that keeps the XBox alive is H-A-L-O. Bungie has such a fanbase that the profits from Halo 3 alone are going to be dominant. You say it would take $10,000 to get the same graphics. PFFT! The geforce 7800 is already out and the latest flavor of ATI is out too. You don't really think that Nvidia would design technology for PS3 that is going to be better than their best video card do you? It may be superior at first, but they will unveil some 8800 series graphics card that will demolish the PS3. They did the same thing with the Xbox, they gave it the power of a geforce 4 4200 and then came out the the 5800 ultra card.

Playdrv4me
11-22-05, 09:43 PM
Everything you said is about spot on.

The only thing... That PS3 case is UGLY. I hope it looks better in person.

SpeedyArizona
11-22-05, 10:17 PM
That's WAY off. The real percentage is more like 70% PS2, 18% XBOX, and 12% Gamecube...And trust me, it will most definately be obsolete. The 360 offers nothing groundbreaking; it uses the current dvd format that we use right now, the same DVD format that was INTRODUCED to the mass public by the PS2, it's processor is current gen too, just a bunch of pentium 4s put together.

The PS3 has a next gen processor dubbed "The Cell" made by IBM and a hell of a lot of other cutting edge companies, it uses new graphics system by Nvidia, and like i said, it pulls twice the amount of TFLOPS as the XBOX360, which basically means, its TWICE as powerful...

I'm not going to start a huge feud over which is better, because I personally don't care.

ben72227
11-23-05, 12:34 AM
You say it would take $10,000 to get the same graphics. PFFT! The geforce 7800 is already out and the latest flavor of ATI is out too. You don't really think that Nvidia would design technology for PS3 that is going to be better than their best video card do you? It may be superior at first, but they will unveil some 8800 series graphics card that will demolish the PS3.

I said $1,000, and YES, they will make the PS3 have the best graphics. You're looking at it the wrong way. Where do you think NVidia will get more money from??? Selling (MAYBE) a couple of thousand high end video cards every year, or selling 70 MILLION graphics processors to Sony for the PS3 (I got the 70 million figure from the number of PS2s that have been sold).

It's ALL about profits man. Nvidia doesn't care about pride or anything like that, its PROFITS. And yes, by the time you got that kind of graphics power in a computer, with the 300GB HD, the DVD burner, the Flat Panel display, the 2GB of memory, the wireless shit, yeah, it probably would cost A LOT more than a PS3...;)

JC316
11-23-05, 03:23 AM
Sorry, that 10,000 was a mis-read. A couple of thousand??? You are not giving enough credit to the PC gamers, they sell hundreds of thousands of the top end cards at $500 bucks a pop, plus all of the third party manufacturers that purchase the chips for their own cards. Trust me, maybe 6 months after PS3 comes out Nvidia will have something newer and better. As for the rest of the hardware, I already have all of that. I have heard rumors that the PS3 is going to cost 600-1000 bucks, but that was a good while ago so that might have changed. The thing about PC gaming is that you usually get better graphics and a more wide spread of genres.

ben72227
11-23-05, 04:19 AM
It's going to cost $400. Sony will lose money on it, but they will make up that money in licensing fees and game/hardware sales. If you already have the hardware, then its a different story.

But if you don't have anything, it's like, you can pay $400 for this, or pay $4000 for a DECENT gaming system, and if you want something REALLY nice, expect to pay more...

JC316
11-23-05, 09:34 PM
But if you don't have anything, it's like, you can pay $400 for this, or pay $4000 for a DECENT gaming system, and if you want something REALLY nice, expect to pay more...

That is definatly true. I already have most of the major gaming hardware, so it wouldn't be that bad for me. The only point I am making, is that the PC will rival the PS3 in graphics technology. The game publishers usually make games for all of the systems, so they are going to have to keep up with graphics. $400 is still too rough for a system that is going to last for 3 years. My gaming rig has lasted 4 years and I still payed less than $600 over a period of time for it. I can still run Doom 3, Farcry, UT2004, Riddick, and The battle for middle earth on the highest settings. I probably won't upgrade the CPU for another couple of years.

Spittin Game
11-24-05, 03:51 AM
The main thing that keeps the XBox alive is H-A-L-O. Bungie has such a fanbase that the profits from Halo 3 alone are going to be dominant.

You are 100% correct! Name one game that PS2 or even one that PS3 will have that will have a calling like Halo and Halo 2 for Xbox. You cant! This game has an unbelievable calling behind it. Months before H2 was released people were selling/trading in their PS2's and buying an xbox in preparations for Halo 2. The game was preordered for a couple years for some people. NEVER has a game ever had that happen.

And to boot, M$ is releasing Halo 3 the day that the PS3 launches. Its gonna be a sad day for sony.

fast66
11-24-05, 03:57 AM
You are 100% correct! Name one game that PS2 or even one that PS3 will have that will have a calling like Halo and Halo 2 for Xbox. You cant! This game has an unbelievable calling behind it. Months before H2 was released people were selling/trading in their PS2's and buying an xbox in preparations for Halo 2. The game was preordered for a couple years for some people. NEVER has a game ever had that happen.
And to boot, M$ is releasing Halo 3 the day that the PS3 launches. Its gonna be a sad day for sony.
I would say sony's closest to halo are gta or metal gear solid, other than that nothing can compete with halo

Blackout
11-24-05, 01:11 PM
The Metal Gear Solid series hasn't had as much fanfare as the original one had. Sons of Liberty was a big let down and you never really heard that much about Snake Eater. I'm sure when they make one for PS3 there will be buzz about it but will most likely be a let down as well. As for the GTA series I have no idea as to how that is still around. Its the same game just different setting. Big deal! Vice City was the best out of the whole franchise IMO. But seeing as they are making a Halo movie I think the following behind Halo is greater then anything Sony has to offer. But the PS3 boys will be disappointed once PS3 hits the shelves.

DopeStar 156
11-24-05, 02:36 PM
I'm waiting for PS3 to come out. I've played Halo and never got into it..... Dunno, just didn't do anything for me. I am a huge MGS fan and when MGS4 comes out PS3 owners will be quite pleased. The first console of a new generation to come out always takes some hurt because the new boys on the block have more to offer by then. Look at the Dreamcast. That thing came out too soon and got beaten to shit. Dunno if the same will be for the 360 though, my friend put a down payment on one and should get it on release day. I'll check his out ince he gets it and gague a more accurate opinion from there.

Spittin Game
11-24-05, 04:22 PM
I would say sony's closest to halo are gta or metal gear solid, other than that nothing can compete with halo

GTA are on Xbox too. They were released 3-4 months later than the PS2 versions, BUT now that their contract with sony is up you will see the next wave of GTA games coming out at the same time for both systems.

And Halo 2 had more pre orders than GTA has sold total. Preorders for EB Games alone was around a couple million, it was out of control. The fanbase thats behind the Halo games is unreal.

Without Halo, sony blows xbox outta the water as far as sales or popularity. Halo is Xbox's bread and butter.

ben72227
11-24-05, 05:40 PM
True, HALO is great. But don't knock down Sony though - they have SOCOM and most importantly, they have Gran Turismo, and no racing game can touch it - whether it be Forza, Project Gotham, whatever...nothing can touch GT...

And besides, now that Sony has the hardware advantage, they will be able to finally run the HALO killer - Killzone. The PS2 just couldn't handle the software, but the PS3 should be more than capable of it.

And that was always the thing about XBOX; unless you liked HALO, there wasn't much else...There were some EA Sports game, and the occasional game from Microsoft (like the racing games), but other than that, there was no game library.

With the PS, you got pretty much everything - platformers (Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak), racing (Gran Turismo), FPS (Red Faction, Killzone, TimeSplitters), Adventure (God of War, MGS, etc.) and you got something Microsoft NEVER had - Ace Combat, which is pretty much the only and the sweetest air combat game ever. Nothing comes close to it; period. For those who've never played it, go get it now! I'm pretty sure its a greatest hits by now...:thumbsup:

Spittin Game
11-25-05, 12:04 AM
I love how Killzone was marketed as the "Halo Killer" for PS2, no other FPS will ever touch Halo. When you come out ready to box with the best you better bring your A game and they didn't! Killzone got HORRIBLE ratings.

Its just so stupid to even try to market any game as a "Halo Killer" because in the end it will be Halo (2) that will still be victorious!

And dont give me that "PS2 couldnt handle it" BS, look at the original Halo (original launch title for the Xbox), and look what it did to lead into the best selling video game of all time in Halo 2. Bungie has got to be flattered by people actually marketing their games as the "Halo Killer".

ben72227
11-25-05, 12:52 AM
And dont give me that "PS2 couldnt handle it" BS

But that's the truth.:rolleyes: I rented Killzone, played it, and while it was good, the hardware JUST COULD NOT HANDLE it. The frame rate was choppy, the game lagged because the hardware had to catch up; overall, it somewhat ruined the game, and caused most people to give it (at best) C ratings...which it deserved.

Xrayqueen
11-25-05, 03:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned Playstation rules :highfive: . You don't have too go buy this and that to use the DVD and so on. All their first generation games can still be used. Which is a nice feature. I also don't see much of a graphics difference.
We own a 1st generation Xbox. I was not that impressed. But thats my opinon. If I do purchase a 360 I'll wait until it is $149.00
Peace Xrayqueen :)

ben72227
11-27-05, 12:25 AM
HA! I was right:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4466688.stm

See what happens when you RUSH your console out to try and beat Sony without testing it!? I suppose we should expect system crashes though...this is Microsoft afterall:histeric::histeric::histeric:

Devil_concours
11-27-05, 12:54 AM
ben72227 = sony fanyboi :)
Anyways, just the fact that sony missed the holiday season is bad.

Nvidia making more profits selling their graphics chips to a console manufacturer is also incorrect. (how much does 7700 gtx run these days?)

As for console crashing, it's been identified already that power supply is overheating and causing the console to crash. (need to put the psu somewhere with ventilation.)

As for superior hardware, it's pointless if the developers can't program for it. (sega had a superior machine than sony but it failed due to this fact). Also the blu-ray may end up as an obsolete technology if toshiba's next gen dvd becomes the standard.

You gotta give where credit is due. Good job ms for beating sony to the launch date.

As for the reliablity of the machines, i went throught 5 ps2 (bad dvd laser), and 1 xbox. I guess imo, xbox has a quite bit of lead over sony. Also i modded my xbox with 100gb hard drive for instance rip of games

ps- eventhough i love my ps2 and gt4, forza is a better game than gt4. GT4 has way too many of the same cars and when are they going to put car damage? It's fun to use walls to turn quicker but that doesn't make it realistic now does it?

DopeStar 156
11-27-05, 01:23 AM
After talking to an EB Games employee today, we might see PS3 by Christmas.......2006. Haha. Supposedly the Japanese release is March 2006. I would expect the US release to be a little more than a month later. A spring release for a game console? I've never seen this happen before. Hopefully I don't have to wait an entire year for PS3. Still though, I'd wait.

ben72227
11-27-05, 01:31 AM
Still though, I'd wait.

Exactly! That's what Sony is betting on. When you have been around for over a decade and have consistently delivered great games, you build a loyal fan base; look at Nintendo - they're arguably the weakest developer today, yet they still sell Gameboys and Gamecubes like hot cakes...

The same thing with Sony; people are starting to see that the 360 is nothing special; it doesn't even have a Halo launch title. The casual gamers will get them for Christmas this year, and next year, they will buy PS3s for Christmas. The true diehards will wait though...:lildevil:

Spittin Game
11-27-05, 01:46 AM
Ben, get off sony's nuts man!

And Nintendo sells gamecubes like hotcakes? Check your stats again. The only reason they sell gameboys is b/c until sony came with the PSP, they were the only ones in the market, and been doing it for a long time also!

Jesda
11-27-05, 01:49 AM
This month I've been playing "Detroit", which is a DOS game from 1993. You build and run a car company and control everything from design to labor to marketing. I dont need much to be entertained.

Devil_concours
11-27-05, 09:17 AM
Exactly! That's what Sony is betting on. When you have been around for over a decade and have consistently delivered great games, you build a loyal fan base; look at Nintendo - they're arguably the weakest developer today, yet they still sell Gameboys and Gamecubes like hot cakes...

The same thing with Sony; people are starting to see that the 360 is nothing special; it doesn't even have a Halo launch title. The casual gamers will get them for Christmas this year, and next year, they will buy PS3s for Christmas. The true diehards will wait though...:lildevil:
true diehards will get both

Devil_concours
11-27-05, 09:20 AM
Ben, get off sony's nuts man!
And Nintendo sells gamecubes like hotcakes? Check your stats again. The only reason they sell gameboys is b/c until sony came with the PSP, they were the only ones in the market, and been doing it for a long time also!
don't even get me started on psp. I don't even use the damn thing to play games anymore (only use it to watch all the tv shows that i missed and mp3). Although staying with original us firmware (1.5) does have its pros but sony could have waited a little bit longer to make all the necessary improvements before releasing.

SilverCTS
11-27-05, 11:35 AM
I said $1,000, and YES, they will make the PS3 have the best graphics. You're looking at it the wrong way. Where do you think NVidia will get more money from??? Selling (MAYBE) a couple of thousand high end video cards every year, or selling 70 MILLION graphics processors to Sony for the PS3 (I got the 70 million figure from the number of PS2s that have been sold).

It's ALL about profits man. Nvidia doesn't care about pride or anything like that, its PROFITS. And yes, by the time you got that kind of graphics power in a computer, with the 300GB HD, the DVD burner, the Flat Panel display, the 2GB of memory, the wireless shit, yeah, it probably would cost A LOT more than a PS3...;)

Hmm, I wonder if Nvidia (NVDA) is a good stock play. In the last year, the stock price has just about doubled (from about 20 to about 40).

That is a very nice return on investment. :)

You can't get 100% return by investing in CDs or money market accounts.

However, I'm not really sure if profits from the new game consoles are already baked into the price or not.

Here is the 1 year chart for Nvidia (stock symbol NVDA):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/silvercts/NOW.gif

Devil_concours
11-27-05, 11:55 AM
Hmm, I wonder if Nvidia (NVDA) is a good stock play. In the last year, the stock price has just about doubled (from about 20 to about 40).

That is a very nice return on investment. :)

You can't get 100% return by investing in CDs or money market accounts.

However, I'm not really sure if profits from the new game consoles are already baked into the price or not.

Here is the 1 year chart for Nvidia (stock symbol NVDA):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/silvercts/NOW.gif
that's because amd is doing so well and nvidia is probably the only player left in the amd's platform with their nforce chipsets

Blackout
11-27-05, 04:29 PM
Unfortunatly people are so brand biased its not even funny. Sony guys will always love the Sony products. X-Box guys will always love the X-Box products. Nintendo doesn't count because their games are a step above that Leap Frog crap for little kids. But for the Sony guys busting on the Xbox360 guys you have no room to laugh. PS2 had a recall out for it as well and atleast there will be something new for the holidays from MS. I don't see anything from Sony. Chalk one up for MS for getting their product out in time for the holiday rush. Essentially the 1st gen consoles always have some bugs in them. Sony had the issue with the laser eye, Microsoft had the issue with the CD-Rom drives that would come up with the dreaded disc is dirty or damaged. I have owned both PS2 and X-Box. The only reason I bought the PS2 was for the GT series and GT3 was nice but once I got GT4 it was the biggest let down. I played it for 2 days and I haven't touched it since. Forza is a much more complete game then GT4 would ever hope to be. Drag race mode, online play, realtime damage, not as many cars as GT4 but who needs 20 different versions of the same damn car? WE GET THE POINT!!! Killzone is the biggest joke on earth. I love how the guys from Sony camps saying, "the PS2 can't support the game!" Well if thats the case why did they bother bringing out then!? If the game runs and plays for shit why release it? At this point I dont' know why Sony guys are talking crap. PS3 isn't even out yet so why talk about it blowing the 360 outta the water? Wait until it comes out before talking crap!

Spittin Game
11-27-05, 06:16 PM
Unfortunatly people are so brand biased its not even funny. Sony guys will always love the Sony products. X-Box guys will always love the X-Box products. Nintendo doesn't count because their games are a step above that Leap Frog crap for little kids. But for the Sony guys busting on the Xbox360 guys you have no room to laugh. PS2 had a recall out for it as well and atleast there will be something new for the holidays from MS. I don't see anything from Sony. Chalk one up for MS for getting their product out in time for the holiday rush. Essentially the 1st gen consoles always have some bugs in them. Sony had the issue with the laser eye, Microsoft had the issue with the CD-Rom drives that would come up with the dreaded disc is dirty or damaged. I have owned both PS2 and X-Box. The only reason I bought the PS2 was for the GT series and GT3 was nice but once I got GT4 it was the biggest let down. I played it for 2 days and I haven't touched it since. Forza is a much more complete game then GT4 would ever hope to be. Drag race mode, online play, realtime damage, not as many cars as GT4 but who needs 20 different versions of the same damn car? WE GET THE POINT!!! Killzone is the biggest joke on earth. I love how the guys from Sony camps saying, "the PS2 can't support the game!" Well if thats the case why did they bother bringing out then!? If the game runs and plays for shit why release it? At this point I dont' know why Sony guys are talking crap. PS3 isn't even out yet so why talk about it blowing the 360 outta the water? Wait until it comes out before talking crap!

:yeah:
:werd:

JC316
11-27-05, 11:42 PM
Hold on a second, nintendo being step above Leap frog? Have you played Resident Evil 4? Have you seen the trailers for Zelda? Oh no my friend, the gamecube is not a kiddie system.

DopeStar 156
11-27-05, 11:57 PM
I have a gen 1 PS2 that I got on release day and my laser eye functions perfectly. Works like it's brand new. So does my original PlayStation that I got in 1995. There's something to be said about a 10 year old game console that functions perfectly. I like my Sony products and the reason is because one has never let me down. My PSP I got on release day and I'm not experiencing dead pixels or anything like that either. My only complaint about the PSP is there are no good games for it. Sony needs to put some games out for it. Like I said I have no opinion on X-360 yet because I haven't played one yet. I do however dislike X-Box because I've played them before and found the controllers to be uncomfortable (GameCube too, but the X controller was by far worse) and the fact that the DVD feature although it was completely capable of doing you had to pay for it to work. Also X-Box Live requires a subscription where any PS2 or PSP online game just requires an internet connection. Hell I WiFi and tap other people's wireless routers with my PSP. I have nothing but good feelings about the PS3 especially because it's still being worked on. My only hope is it will feature the HDD as standard equipment since doing this will allow game developers to expand their horizions and make some really great games having an HDD to work with. I also like that PS3 is using Blue Ray formatted discs which hold more than DVD-ROMS which the X-360 still uses as its main format of software. PS3 titles will be able to offer more than X-360 titles because of the larger format. To summarize, yes I'm Sony biased but only because Sony has always sold me a good piece of electronic equipment be it CD Walkmans, Stereos, TV, and game consoles alike.

Devil_concours
11-28-05, 01:17 AM
I have a gen 1 PS2 that I got on release day and my laser eye functions perfectly. Works like it's brand new. So does my original PlayStation that I got in 1995. There's something to be said about a 10 year old game console that functions perfectly. I like my Sony products and the reason is because one has never let me down. My PSP I got on release day and I'm not experiencing dead pixels or anything like that either. My only complaint about the PSP is there are no good games for it. Sony needs to put some games out for it. Like I said I have no opinion on X-360 yet because I haven't played one yet. I do however dislike X-Box because I've played them before and found the controllers to be uncomfortable (GameCube too, but the X controller was by far worse) and the fact that the DVD feature although it was completely capable of doing you had to pay for it to work. Also X-Box Live requires a subscription where any PS2 or PSP online game just requires an internet connection. Hell I WiFi and tap other people's wireless routers with my PSP. I have nothing but good feelings about the PS3 especially because it's still being worked on. My only hope is it will feature the HDD as standard equipment since doing this will allow game developers to expand their horizions and make some really great games having an HDD to work with. I also like that PS3 is using Blue Ray formatted discs which hold more than DVD-ROMS which the X-360 still uses as its main format of software. PS3 titles will be able to offer more than X-360 titles because of the larger format. To summarize, yes I'm Sony biased but only because Sony has always sold me a good piece of electronic equipment be it CD Walkmans, Stereos, TV, and game consoles alike.
psp really doesn't have an official online gaming support(yes you can trick the psp to thinking that your wireless connection is another psp and play online) and ps2 was kinda late into the online gaming. Hopefully they do it right in the ps3

DopeStar 156
11-28-05, 02:49 AM
Nop, PSP has LAN capabilities so it finds wireless connections and links up to other systems. It also will connect system to system.I'm not that big on online gaming though, so it's not one of my main concerns.

Devil_concours
11-28-05, 03:00 AM
Nop, PSP has LAN capabilities so it finds wireless connections and links up to other systems. It also will connect system to system.I'm not that big on online gaming though, so it's not one of my main concerns.
I didn't say it didn't have wireless multiplayer capability. Just wanted to clarify that eventhough it has full access to internet but it doesn't have online capablities. However, you can use tools such as xlink
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/
It tricks your psp into thinking that your computer is another psp and your computer connects you to another user through the internet.

PSP1 <-> PC1 <----INTERNET----> PC2 <-> PSP2

DopeStar 156
11-28-05, 03:33 AM
Actually, mine has an internet browser on it. Part of the latest op system update. Dunno the technicals behind it, but it works. I've checked posts on this site from my PSP before.

Devil_concours
11-28-05, 03:45 AM
Actually, mine has an internet browser on it. Part of the latest op system update. Dunno the technicals behind it, but it works. I've checked posts on this site from my PSP before.
browser has been available ever since the korean version got released (they even have a dedicated isp service for psp in korea). Eventhough it has web capailities, there aren't any online multiplaying available.