: Damn..... go Hyundai....

Night Wolf
11-21-05, 07:55 AM
So I admit, I havn't gave much thought to Hyndai.... ever... but they do make decent cheap cars...

so just for fun I went onto their website....

wow! I coudln't believe it.. they make small/medium/large buses and trucks and some other very cool commercial vehicles... of course they are not sold here though....

so then I looked under recreational vehicles.. we have the Santa Fe and the Tuscon.... but they have some nice vans and even a better off-road SUV type vehicle.

Then I went to passenger cars... they make some really small buggers for Europe... but their cars are really coming along nice. The new Elentra has really nice blue gagues (I love that) the new Sonata is all new, and designed really nice inside and out... even the Tiburon, called the Hyundai Coupe on this site... I never really looked at but now pretty shocked. Perhaps what really surprised me was the Centennial.... it has a 4.5L V8.... I didn't know Hyundai makes a V8 (yet Honda still dosn't) wow... it has alot of chrome on it, a hood ornament, LED lights, and loaded with features inside that compete with some of our highest luxury cars. I was truely shocked.

Hyundai cars still loose their value somewhat quick... but this new generation has really did a 180 for the company, I think the view on them is going to be changing from cheap throw away cars to serious competition. Hell, in 2 years from now, all these cars I am sure you could get a major deal, 2 years old, 30k miles for a whole lot less then what you would expect... plus Hyundai has it right, you can get a 5spd manual on nearly all the vehicles (even the busses :) ) while their top line luxury cars have a manual shift mode on the automatic....

I am really shocked... maybe you guys knew it already, but I just havn't paid much attention to them at all.... well, I have but never really took notice. I just spent about 30mins looking at nearly all their vehicles, inside and out pictures.... I gotta say, it is actually a car I would be proud to own when you factor in the cost and warrantee and all that.

http://worldwide.hyundai-motor.com/

Msilva954
11-21-05, 08:25 AM
The V8 is a Mitsubishi block and design.....hyundai is currently making a V8 of their very own though, and rumors suggest it to have about 350hp....

Oh, and Hyundai is Korea's 2nd largest company....after Samsung....and YES ....samsung does make cars too....

ShadowLvr400
11-21-05, 09:07 AM
I remember being startled by the nice fit and finish of a Tiburon a while back... I sat inside it and felt more like I was in a BMW or Benz, very simple, efficient and well put together. I actually almost liked the interior over ym Eldo's...

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-21-05, 10:25 AM
The Hyundai coupe they sell over here goes rather well when you put a V6 in it.
And the base 4cyl one costs about the same as a small economy car.

Still wouldn't have one mind.
But they're getting better.

Playdrv4me
11-21-05, 03:30 PM
Alot of people overlook Hyundai, but theyve made tremendous strides in the past several years. They have been working DOUBLETIME to shed the poor quality and reliability image handed to them by the Excel... which most people had no idea or remembered was just a rebadged Mitsubishi Precis.

For a while Hyundai and Mitsu were sharing alot of components and eventually Hyundai has distanced themselves from them as much as Chrysler has. DCX though also has their fingers in Hyundais pie as well, which is not surprising.

Their cars are improving at an astonishing pace. (But dont tell davesdeville that.) ;)

Lord Cadillac
11-21-05, 04:11 PM
People say the new Hyundai Sonata is direct competition for the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.. How long did it take to get that close?

You should see the new Azera (XG350 replacement).. Very, very nice.. Especially the interior..

I've seen pictures of the new Tiburon.. It's almost shocking - in a good way...

Playdrv4me
11-21-05, 04:31 PM
That Centennial is something else...

It has a V8, Xenon Headlamps (something no US Hyundai yet offers), Heated/Cooled seats, Electroluminescent gauge cluster, a stretched wheelbase version, and all the power stuff you could ever need.

Lord Cadillac
11-21-05, 04:34 PM
As you probably already know, Hyundai is planning on starting a luxury division (like Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, Nissan/Infinity) in 2007 or so... The Centennial will probably be sold under the new name...

Night Wolf
11-21-05, 06:36 PM
wow....

I dunno... Hyundai I "like".... kinda like how I *don't* like Honda.... I like VW and Subaru...... I like Toyota's trucks and Nissan isn't too bad....

I dunno, just what I could picture myself driving.... and these new Hyundai's have came quite a long way.

the new Sonata I am liking alot. I wish the manual would come witht he V6 though.

If Hyundai makes a luxury car devsion... people will be able to get what would normally be a $60k car for about $35k.

ben72227
11-21-05, 06:46 PM
Yeah, if I was going to get a Korean car, it would definately be a Hyundai:D

The Sonata is pretty much awesome for how much you pay for it; for a $22,000 car, you get a 235HP V6 (DOHC), Heated Leather seats, and automatic climate control. Hell, its over $10,000 less than a base model CTS, and I'm not even sure the CTS has all of that standard. I mean, doesn't the base CTS have a wimpy V6???

Night Wolf
11-21-05, 10:00 PM
Heh... how ironic...

so I talk to my father tonight, he is coming down for Thanksgiving.

I ask what kind of car he rented, he said Hyundai Sonata... I said the new 2005? he goes yeah.

So how cool is that? I bet is the basic 4cylinder version, but since it is unlimited milage, and my car is a 2 door, we'll be driving that thing... and since i know how to get aorund here and my father dosn't.... I'll be driving it.

I think thats cool, I really like this car, now I'll get to drive one and see what its like.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-21-05, 10:06 PM
Isn't Hyundai one of the world's industrial giants?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-21-05, 10:09 PM
That Centennial is something else...

It has a V8, Xenon Headlamps (something no US Hyundai yet offers), Heated/Cooled seats, Electroluminescent gauge cluster, a stretched wheelbase version, and all the power stuff you could ever need.

Wow that Centennial is cool! It looks like a 99 LS400!

Night Wolf
11-21-05, 10:10 PM
worlds? I dunno about that....

but they make alot of commerical equipment... for lifts, front end loaders etc...

and judging by that international website, quite a few heavy duty trucks and busses.... I bet in the countries over there you see those things around like you see International around over here.

looks like they have some nice turbo diesels.

ben72227
11-21-05, 10:50 PM
Yes, Hyundai is the largest industrial giant in South Korea. It's kinda like uhhh....theres some others I'm sure...

Lord Cadillac
11-22-05, 04:29 PM
Yeah, Hyundai makes pretty-much everything in South Korea... They're a very capable company. Most people don't realize that - and for that reason, figure they can't make automobiles...

Rick. Let us know what you think of the car when you drive it. I drove one a few months ago and was very impressed.. I liked the dual exhaust pipes coming out the back. :D That's a nice touch. It's a quiet, fairly smooth-riding vehicle. Very comfortable.. It's a lot of value for the price..

I'd expect Hyundai's luxury division to only slightly undercut the competition - the way Lexus did in 1989.. Maybe sell the same quality luxury vehicle for $15k less than everyone else..

Katshot
11-22-05, 04:38 PM
I've said it MANY times here. Watch out for Hyundai, they're the next Toyota and their learning curve will be far shorter due to the lessons learned from Toyota and some others. I would also tell you to look for them to spin-off a premium car line similar to Toyota/Lexus in the near future.

Lord Cadillac
11-22-05, 04:53 PM
Yup. Their Prestige line should be around for 2007 or 2008...

Sandy
11-22-05, 05:17 PM
I have liked the XG3500 since it came out. Neat car with tons of features, allthough I won't be trading my Town Car for it - that's for sure.

Night Wolf
11-22-05, 05:21 PM
This new Sonata is a car I would actually consider buying if I was getting a *newer car* next. The V6 would be really nice, but I would want a manual, so I would end up getting the lower trim level, I think it would be alot of car for the money.

Hopefully I'll get to drive it tomorrow... I am excited.

I believe Hyundai is posing a big treat.... but to to American car brands as much as imports.... there are 2 types of people... people that buy domestics and wont change, and people that buy imports... but don't care about brand.

I think Hyundai will be really cutting into Honda/Toyota/Nissan sales much more then GM/Ford/Chrysler.

Night Wolf
11-22-05, 05:22 PM
I have liked the XG3500 since it came out. Neat car with tons of features, allthough I won't be trading my Town Car for it - that's for sure.

It is a really nice car...

but check out the Centenial on the site, that isn't here yet, I think that is going to be the main car for their luxury line....

that is a really nice car too. I wonder if it'll be RWD?

Wasn't the next Tiburon going to be RWD?

Wow.... Hyundai is really kicking things up.

Playdrv4me
11-22-05, 05:37 PM
It really irritates me when these companies invest so much in the U.S. market though and then cant even keep their english straight on their corporate website. Stuff like that is going to need to be corrected if they expect to compete on a global level.

Night Wolf
11-22-05, 05:50 PM
It really irritates me when these companies invest so much in the U.S. market though and then cant even keep their english straight on their corporate website. Stuff like that is going to need to be corrected if they expect to compete on a global level.

The website I linked to?

I didn't take notice... but that is not the North American Hyundai website either...

still, if there were errors, they should be fixed.

Lord Cadillac
11-22-05, 07:31 PM
http://www.hyundaiusa.com

Lord Cadillac
11-22-05, 07:33 PM
http://www.hyundainews.com/concept/photos/tmb/01%20HCD8.jpghttp://www.hyundainews.com/concept/photos/tmb/16%20HCD8.jpg

The new Tiburon should have design cues from this concept (http://www.hyundainews.com/concept/HCD8Gallery.html).

DBA-One
11-22-05, 07:41 PM
My mother in-law has an '05 Sonata. It's been a perfect car. In a few months my wife and I will be looking at the new Sonata. I never thought I could be spotted in one of their showrooms but they have improved so much it is worth seriously considering.

Night Wolf
11-22-05, 07:43 PM
http://www.hyundaiusa.com

yeah, but they don't have nearly the cool cars, trucks and busses on there as their main world wide site.

I wonder if that main site is just computer translated... maybe thats why there are errors?

Lord Cadillac
11-22-05, 07:46 PM
I must warn you all.. Hyundai service isn't that great. Their cars and trucks are right on the money, but their service leaves something to be desired.. No loaners that I know about.. No red carpet treatment like Honda and Toyota.. If there's one area they need to work on, it's service...

DBA-One
11-22-05, 07:50 PM
I think that depends on the dealer. When my in law's car goes in for service but things are backed up they give him a loaner.

Night Wolf
11-22-05, 07:50 PM
My mother in-law has an '05 Sonata. It's been a perfect car. In a few months my wife and I will be looking at the new Sonata. I never thought I could be spotted in one of their showrooms but they have improved so much it is worth seriously considering.

ah, I see the "new" Sonata is 2006...

I hope thats the one my father is renting....

the '06 is supposed to be a huge stepping stone for the company.

BTW the HCD-8 concept is pretty cool... see that interior? stainless steel look, nice gauges, real wood on steering wheel and shift... physical gated shifter and a supercharged 2.7 V6 (still sideways though)

I wonder just how much is going to be in the new Tiburon....

This, is a very aggressive, but not over done looking car... coming from Hyundai, this is pretty darn nice.... actually, I really like the styling of nearly all their cars....

http://www.hyundainews.com/concept/photos/10%20HCD8.jpg

DBA-One
11-22-05, 07:53 PM
Anything is better than the first generation Tiburon. It looked like a '70s 'Vette that needed to be sectioned. There was simply nothing good looking about the car. From every angle is was an example of piss poor taste in styling.

DBA-One
11-22-05, 07:56 PM
ah, I see the "new" Sonata is 2006...

Yes, I don't like the front styling of the '05< Looks like a retarded E Class or Jag S Type. What is worse is the Kia Amanti. That looks like and E class and S Type had a retarded kid.

Night Wolf
11-22-05, 08:14 PM
yeah, first gen Tib was a POS.

that sucks they got an '05... the '06 Sonata is supposed to be so much more advanced... still a decent car.

One Kia I really like is the Optima... thats just a nice looking car, front, sides and back as well as interior.. nice V6 etc...

DBA-One
11-22-05, 08:32 PM
I like the Optima as well. Good looking car. The only reason I wouldn't buy it is just saying Kia drops 10% off it's resale value! I like resale value in a car and it just doesn't have that.

Katshot
11-22-05, 08:35 PM
Here's the Sonata I bought for my daughter after a couple mods. :D

DBA-One
11-22-05, 08:39 PM
Nice duals.

Kev
11-22-05, 08:40 PM
Kevin, I'm not familiar enough with Hyundais to recognize what mods you've done though it looks like rims, tires and exhaust. Is that it?

Playdrv4me
11-22-05, 09:24 PM
I like the current Sonata alot. Take off the badges and people are hard pressed to have ANY IDEA it is a Hyundai. It looks like a baby Jaguar or something.

And yes, earlier I was speaking of the main corporate website, not the HyundaiUSA website.

Night Wolf
11-22-05, 11:21 PM
I like the Optima as well. Good looking car. The only reason I wouldn't buy it is just saying Kia drops 10% off it's resale value! I like resale value in a car and it just doesn't have that.

The same can be said for Hyundai though.

klebrun
11-22-05, 11:51 PM
I must warn you all.. Hyundai service isn't that great. Their cars and trucks are right on the money, but their service leaves something to be desired.. No loaners that I know about.. No red carpet treatment like Honda and Toyota.. If there's one area they need to work on, it's service...

I have to second this. My mom bought a 1999 Accent brand new and within a month the transmission would occasionally go into "fail safe mode". What happens is when you are traveling above 45 mph the transmission will drop into third gear and stay there until you shut the car down and restart it. I immediately took it to the dealership and was told that since it wasn't throwing any codes, there was nothing they could do about it. The mechanic went so far as to try and convince me that this was a Hyundai "feature", designed to use the engine to help brake the car. I told him he was full of it. My mom, seeing that I was about to tear into the guy, calmly suggested we leave and deal with it another day (thanks for keeping me out of jail, mom).

I found a TSB on the internet stating that this and some other shifting problems could be sometimes caused by faulty transmission pulse generators and/or corroded wiring. I also found out that the corrosion problem may be due to the salt water encountered as the vehicles are being shipped across the ocean. The info wasn't specific as to whether it was salt water humidity or actual contact with the vehicles, or as to whether they had been prepped properly for overseas shipping. Apparently this has been a problem dating back to the 1980's. This could also be the reason why some have encountered other electrical problems as well.

I've seen complaints about cheap interior parts as well as experienced it myself.

Front brakes are also a problem. When changing the oil one day (at 30,000 miles), I suggested that the front brakes should be replaced before the pads wear down to the point of damaging the rotors. Took the car in to get pads replaced and rotors turned and was quoted a price of over $800.00. Apparently the rotors are pressed on the spindle and the dealership didn't have the necessary equipment to take them off (so they said). Replacing them requires dropping the front suspension and replacing the part of the suspension that the rotors are attached to. We told them to just replace the pads. 2,000 miles later, the passenger side caliper blew through the new pads, and I had to replace it myself. The caliper was rusted and corroded to beat hell.

The dealership that my mom bought the car from no longer sells or works on Hyundais. I was told by the dealership that it was difficult to get Hyundai to pay the warranty claims, and the dealership was losing money off of the service work and had to deal with too many angry customers, thus losing repeat business.

I have been unable to convince my mom to continue to pursue making Hyundai fix the transmission, but that's on her, not the dealership or Hyundai.

Be it known that I am a perfectionist when it comes to vehicle maintenance. The car has been maintained and washed on a regular basis. I also understand that every car maker has it's "problem" dealerships and flaws.

The car has been very dependable and Hyundai has made some great strides in the last decade. But there are issues that can cause above average problems and costs that need to be considered before purchasing a Hyundai. The fact that the transmissions have had some of the same problems for almost two decades without being fixed throws up a red flag for me. And the warranty becomes useless if Hyundai chooses not to honor it.

Hopefully, these problems have been addressed with the newest models. If I were a potential Hyundai buyer, I would research these and other problems that have occured as late as the 2002 models. I would also research 2002-2005 to see if I could find out if these and other problems have been taken care of. If so, then Hyundai might be a really good buy.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/hyundai_trans.html

http://tsb.com/TSB/25/02252322.html

Night Wolf
11-23-05, 12:06 AM
I've seen complaints about cheap interior parts as well as experienced it myself.

ummm... its a Hyundai Accent... the cheapest new car in American... they are like $8,000 new, right?

I really don't think there is any case at all to complain about cheap interior parts on such a car.

Also, 1999... Hyundai still had issues... that really is no where near the car they are today... I personally woudln't buy a Hyundai before 2002 or so... the last generation they made lots of changes.... this current generation ('06 Sonata) is just jumping worlds ahead... nearly skipping a generation as far as what the brand has been putting out.

klebrun
11-23-05, 01:32 AM
ummm... its a Hyundai Accent... the cheapest new car in American... they are like $8,000 new, right?
I really don't think there is any case at all to complain about cheap interior parts on such a car.
Also, 1999... Hyundai still had issues... that really is no where near the car they are today... I personally woudln't buy a Hyundai before 2002 or so... the last generation they made lots of changes.... this current generation ('06 Sonata) is just jumping worlds ahead... nearly skipping a generation as far as what the brand has been putting out.

The base Accent was about $10000.00 at the time. The car my mom bought with the extra options was about $12000.00. Since they shared alot of the same parts, the same issues (transmission, cheap interior parts, brakes, ect) that the Accent had were also found on the some of the higher priced models such as the Sonata, Elantra and Tiburon, so it wasn't just limited to the cheaper Accent. And when you are having some of the same quality problems with the more expensive models that the cheaper ones are having, I think you have a very good case to complain. A little research on your part will show you this.

When I buy a warranty on a new vehilce, I expect them to honor it, no matter how much I spent. If they feel it isn't profitable to offer a warranty on one of their cheaper models, then don't offer it. Buying the less expensive model doesn't take away my right to have a vehicle fixed because of a manufacturers defect or inattention to quality.

Also, I never stated that the newer models weren't better. I haven't researched the newer models, so I didn't offer an opinion pro or con. I clearly stated that a potential buyer should research to see if these problems have been solved on the newer models, and that if these problems have been solved that Hyundai may actually be a good buy. 2002 was just three years ago, recent enough to see if the latest improvements have solved some of the past issues. It would be wise to see if some of the same transmissions that were offered on the past models were still being use in the newer models and to see if the issues have been resolved. Hyundai has done body style changes in the past without doing a drastic change on the engines or transmissions.

Katshot
11-23-05, 06:57 AM
Kevin, I'm not familiar enough with Hyundais to recognize what mods you've done though it looks like rims, tires and exhaust. Is that it?

Wheels, tires, grill, emblem delete, removed a couple moldings, and finally some custom duals. In the end, I think the car looks sweet as hell. From the front, it looks like a MB, and from the rear it looks like a Jag. The car actually runs pretty strong, because I only went to a 50-series tire it still rides smooth, the exhaust gave it a real nice growl. It's a loaded '02 with 30,000 miles and I got it for $10K. It's got enough warranty that it will STILL be under warranty years after my daughter's out of college too. How can you ask for more than that? I LOVE these cars!!

Night Wolf
11-23-05, 07:25 AM
only thing is....I dunno about the larger cars... but when I did the oil change on a '02 Hyundai Accent (heh... poor car... long story) when I was under it, I was used to seeing big beefy stuff... but everything was like tooth picks... the CV shafts were tiny, the suspension and steering components... I really hope its because it is like 1.6L and cheap and stuff and that their bigger cars have decent components...

that was really the only thing that caught my attention about that... I mean I could go on about the car good and bad, but its America's cheapest new car :) compared to the cheapest cars 20-30 years ago, these things are marvels.... it really is amazing how the car has came to what it is now... I mean you expect any car to go to 100k without issue etc...

KOBO
11-23-05, 08:42 AM
I was in he Tampa area a few months back. The car I rented was suppossed to be a Crown Vic "or equivalent". They had no CV in stock so the 'equivalent' I ended up with was a 2005 Hundai XG350L. Well, it aint no Crown Vic, but it was better than I expected.

I did not log all my thoughts on the car, but here are somethings I rememberd:

The interior was very nice looking, ample wood grain (something a wood butcher like me enjoys), controls were fairly easy for me to access, and I really liked the ability to switch the shifting from auto to something like manual. It had decent pick up and speed, overall the ride was comfortable and it handled well.

The exterior really did not do anything for me, looks wise, typical road bubble.
The Leather seats were a bit too stiff for my screwed up back.
The sound system left a lot to be desired. I had either my Sirius or XM with me and the sound was tinny no matter how I tweaked the stereos controls.
A six footer with long legs I would have liked a bit more leg room, but I was not scrunched in like happens to me in so many smaller cars.

I still would have rather had the Crown Vic, for the ride and the room a car that size offers, but, after the week was over, I was satisfied with Hyundai.

FWIW
K

Katshot
11-23-05, 11:39 AM
I'm no HUGE guy but I'm also a 6 footer with a 34" inseam (long legs) and I must admit the interior of my daughter's '02 Sonata is more than comfortable for me. Plenty of room. As for comparing it to a CV, I'd be willing to bet it will not only out-perform the CV but it's also got at least as many creature comfort type features as the CV. The overall dimensions are definately smaller in most if not all ways but probably not as far off as most would think. Personally, I'd prefer the Sonata to the CV for sure but that's obviously a subjective call.

KOBO
11-23-05, 12:13 PM
... As for comparing it to a CV, I'd be willing to bet it will not only out-perform the CV but it's also got at least as many creature comfort type features as the CV. The overall dimensions are definately smaller in most if not all ways but probably not as far off as most would think.

I would not attempt to disagree with you. The CV is getting long in tooth for sure. However one thing I do like to have around me when driving is a lot of metal; which, I believe, the CV has more of than the Hyundai. Of course I know that that has nothing to due with the saftey of the vehicle in a wreck; in a earlier thread I mentioned a horrendous accident involving a Honda CRV I was a passenger in, that little bugger took a broadside hit in my door by a fast moving full size PU truck and we all climbed out of it. Sue me, I like the land yachts over the motor boats. <g>

I have not driven in a Sonata, so I can not relate to the amount of cabin room; my experience was with a different model.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.

K