: Code P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit

lgbgen
11-20-05, 03:00 PM
I have a 1996 Deville and I am getting the following code PC1406. If I understand these codes correctly it translates to P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit. Can anyone tell me what the likely cause is for this code? :cookoo: Thanks

mcowden
11-20-05, 03:22 PM
I have a 1996 Deville and I am getting the following code PC1406. If I understand these codes correctly it translates to P1406 - EGR Valve Pintle Position Circuit. Can anyone tell me what the likely cause is for this code? :cookoo: Thanks

Hi lgbgen, and welcome to cadillacowners.com! :welcome: I moved your post here to avoid confusion. So that code is telling you that the computer is unable to accurately sense the EGR valve position. It means that either the EGR valve is bad or wiring to the EGR valve is damaged or the EGR valve needs to be cleaned. The EGR valve is the small, approximately 2" diameter can-shaped device just behind where the black tube from the air filter goes into the throttle body. It can be removed, the pintle cleaned with carburetor cleaner, and reinstalled without too much mechanical skill. A shop will likely just replace the valve and that's fine too. Before doing anything, though, the wiring should be at least visually inspected for damage.

If cleaning it, hold the valve with the pintle pointing down (as it is installed in the car) to avoid letting any of the cleaner get into the body of the valve. It will be crusted up with black, sooty material as would be typical of pretty much everything that has exhaust gases moving through it. A replacement EGR valve is about $160 retail or probably $300 from a dealership. Installation costs are dependent on where you go and how much the service writer thinks s/he can get away with. I would expect about a $500-$600 bill from a dealership, and probably $300-$400 at another mechanic shop. This repair does not require any knowledge that is only available at a dealership. Any reasonably-skilled mechanic can do this with no trouble. If you want to repair this yourself, we can walk you through the exact steps and tools. Just let us know. Either way, come back and let us know how it works out.

deabionni
11-21-05, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't mind knowing how to clean the EGR valve, as we had a P036 show up tonight. My mechanic said that it was just probably a piece of carbon that got stuck in the EGR, and caused the code; and not to worry about it if the code went away.

Personally, I'd like to clean the EGR valve; and know that the problem is cured.

Ranger
11-21-05, 10:12 PM
Basically you just pull it, spray it with Gumout and scrub the pintle til it moves freely and does not stick open or closed. The only thing to be careful about is that you do not hold it upside down. Hold it as it is mounted so as not to allow Gumout to run into the "can". It will destroy the insulation on the wingings and render it inop.

mcowden
11-24-05, 01:05 AM
lgbgen, have you had a chance to look at your EGR valve yet?

lgbgen
11-25-05, 02:21 PM
Mike, Just got a chance to look at the valve. I would like to take this out myself if I can. I am not much of a mechanic so if you can walk me through how to remove it I will give it a try.

Thanks Larry

Hason560
11-26-05, 01:07 PM
the egr valve part# is acdelco part#214-5058 and it is $184.69 the gasket is acdelco part #219-175 what ever you do dont buy a cheapo off brand like from autozone. i got one of these and have had to clean it so many times it gets stuck at the least amoutn of carbon build up it was like $140 thats what i get for cheaping out over such a little amount i guess lol