: Help! Power to stereo head unit question/issue

tlarwa
11-20-05, 10:23 AM
I just installed a Pioneer DEH-P4700MP head unit in place of my factory NON-Bose system. I used the appropriate Metra harnesses (80-2100 and PR-0180) to interface with the factory harness and connector. I ran the red ignition/switched power wire out of the harness directly to the fuse box, and tied into a fuse that was switched (I can't remember which fuse number right now). Anyway, it all works great, but the Pioneer unit loses all it's memory settings (station presets, clock) if the car is turned off for any length of time. If I turn it off for a brief time (few minutes) it'll retail the settings, but anything longer and they're all gone. I read in the manual that the factory radio had a retained power setting of 10 minutes ... and since I'm using the factory wiring for power (yellow) I'm wondering if I need to run the yellow wire out of the harness directly to a 12V source. Does anyone know? If so, can I run the yellow directly to an unswitched fuse terminal in the fuse box?

Thanks!

inconnu
11-20-05, 07:23 PM
If you are lossing the settings after a few minutes there are two possibilites,one that battery in the stereo is bad but the set is brand new so i think that is out of question secondly i think the yellow wire has to be hot wired so it gets the juice all the time for memory.

BlindDude
12-10-05, 06:08 PM
I am having he same problem but different car.
I dont have all the answers but I will point you in the right direction.
search the net for your make/model/ data bus bypass
I dont think they make one for me, but you might have better luck.

Factort radio needs to be retained for the door chime and power retention features to work, also some crap with the door locks.

Just be glad that when you put the key in and turn it, your alarm and lights dont start going off, like mine.. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Boris
12-10-05, 06:27 PM
I had the same issue.
Seams that the factory harness times out the constant power causing the memory loss.
Since I was running amp wires to the trunk I just pulled a new constant+ to the HU from the distribution block in my trunk with an in line fuse.

Just find a good constant power supply and tap into that, put an in line fuse on it and run it all the way to your HU. That way you will be done with all the problems.

CtA318
06-30-06, 11:23 AM
I had the same issue.
Seams that the factory harness times out the constant power causing the memory loss.
Since I was running amp wires to the trunk I just pulled a new constant+ to the HU from the distribution block in my trunk with an in line fuse.

Just find a good constant power supply and tap into that, put an in line fuse on it and run it all the way to your HU. That way you will be done with all the problems.

Would this drain the batery over a long period of time? I set mine up to be a swtiched power source because fear of killing the batery.

tlarwa
06-30-06, 01:08 PM
No problems doing it this way. I've had mine wired this way since last November, and have not had a single battery issue to date.

heavycat
06-30-06, 01:52 PM
I recently put a pioneer d1 nav unit in my 2000 cat. I had the same problem, what you can do is tie in the constant power into the fuse box under the steering coloum. I checked staubtech for you and found that it is fuse #8 15amp, Just tie into that and your prob should be solved. let me know if it doesnt, because mine is a 2000

CtA318
07-01-06, 10:12 PM
Ok I did this and everything seemed to be working good so I went out and took off the face plate because I didnt want to leave it in my car. When I came back everything was re-set. Does the face plate need to be on the head unit for it to continue to get power?

This is agrivating.

AwfulSmokey
07-02-06, 02:04 AM
you need to run a constant power source to the memory on your deck. The factory radio kept memory due to a battery inside the radio. When i did my installation i had to do the exact same thing. Just run a wire from the fuse box as i did to the yellow wire on the back of your deck.

CtA318
07-02-06, 05:56 PM
Ok this works. Thanks a bunch.