: First Snow for my new SRX

danstanford
11-18-05, 02:13 PM
Just traded my Avalanche for a 2006 AWD SRX and 4 hours after I picked it up it started to snow. We got a couple of inches with lots of ice under it and black ice everywhere. Once I get over the disappointment of how dirty my new car is I have to rave about the handling in the slippery weather. At no time did the car feel anything other than in complete control, even when I tried to provoke a slide I just got a little drift which never felt out of control. I will obviously have to watch my speed however as I have looked down a couple of times and been doing about 75 MPH and it felt like 55 MPH in the Avalanche. So far I am very happy. The delay when you turn the key is very disconcerting as is the lag in the throttle when you move from a stop.

sgilbert
11-18-05, 02:15 PM
Shoulda had a V8! Enjoy!

conniecadillac
11-18-05, 04:49 PM
Shoulda had a V8! Enjoy!
I couldn't have said it better sgilbert! The second I took the test drive on the highway with the V6, I knew I had to get the Northstar. I cannot wait for the snow to fly here in New England, it's the first time I was ever looking forward to driving in the snow! Woo-hoo! Everyone should have one of these!

danstanford
11-19-05, 09:21 AM
So far I have no reason to regret the six. I bought it hoping for the fuel economy and because it brought the price into line where I thought I could justify a Cadillac. I think the major problem I will have is going to be tickets as this car is just born to run at 70 mph. If I was really anxious to go fast I would have bought the CTS-V which was parked beside my SRX when I went to pick it up. It was a demo and could be had for the same price as mine was.

krug300
11-19-05, 09:55 AM
The "delay" when you turn the key should be barely perceivable, it's an automated start sequence, which means you can (for a split second )move your key to "ignition" then let go; the engine will crank until it starts without you having to hold the key to keep the starter engaged.
You should however have absolutely no delay in throttle response. That's one of the reasons you have "by wire" throttle on your car.
These cars are totally dependent on the dealers check tool and GM's continiously updated software for everything from how the tranny behaves to how much cold the a/c will blow.
My 2004 V-8 AWD would produce a "clunk" when I let go or applied the throttle at low speeds. It amazingly dissapeared when the dealer downloaded 5-6 updates regarding engine operation, which among other things altered the idle curve.

john d
11-19-05, 07:16 PM
Just traded my Avalanche for a 2006 AWD SRX and 4 hours after I picked it up it started to snow. We got a couple of inches with lots of ice under it and black ice everywhere. Once I get over the disappointment of how dirty my new car is I have to rave about the handling in the slippery weather. At no time did the car feel anything other than in complete control, even when I tried to provoke a slide I just got a little drift which never felt out of control. I will obviously have to watch my speed however as I have looked down a couple of times and been doing about 75 MPH and it felt like 55 MPH in the Avalanche. So far I am very happy. The delay when you turn the key is very disconcerting as is the lag in the throttle when you move from a stop.

danstanford - do you have the V6 or the V8 Northstar?

LUVMYSRX
11-20-05, 12:15 AM
I read a lot on these boards about the fuel economy between the v6 and v8. I have an 8 and my coworker has a 6. We compare notes frequently and the difference in fuel economy is extremely minimal (1 maybe 2 miles). Especially on cruise for long trips, there is almost no difference. I recommend the SRX often to others and I always tell them if you have money to burn, get the 8, you will never regret it (whereas my coworker regrets not getting the 8). The SRX v6 is a good car but the V8 is a GREAT car.

syrob@MSN.COM
11-20-05, 06:33 AM
I read a lot on these boards about the fuel economy between the v6 and v8. I have an 8 and my coworker has a 6. We compare notes frequently and the difference in fuel economy is extremely minimal (1 maybe 2 miles). Especially on cruise for long trips, there is almost no difference. I recommend the SRX often to others and I always tell them if you have money to burn, get the 8, you will never regret it (whereas my coworker regrets not getting the 8). The SRX v6 is a good car but the V8 is a GREAT car.
Is it true the EPA on the 2006 city on the V6 is the same as for the V8 now??

SYROB

danstanford
11-20-05, 10:37 AM
John D.

I got the six for a couple of reasons, none of which I am regretting yet. My 17 year old son was teasing me about buying a soccer mom car and so I took him for a ride on a really windy road here and without prompting he said he took it all back. I have never driven a car with such neutral balance, it doesn't under or over steer without help and will slide like a champ when you want it to. I am blown away!

Kipp
11-21-05, 11:07 AM
Is it true the EPA on the 2006 city on the V6 is the same as for the V8 now??

SYROB

Yea - 15/20 for the n* and 15/22 for the 6.
With and estimated annual fuel cost of $1918 fot the 6 and $2214 for the 8.
Not any difference in my opinion.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

Jon
11-21-05, 11:23 AM
Congrats on the Caddy :) I see you're in Ontario too. Whereabouts if you don't mind me asking?

(I don't have a SRX, but just thought I'd pop in. I have a CTS-V and a CTS that I need to sell now)

danstanford
11-22-05, 02:13 PM
Jon, I am in Peterborough about 1.5 hours northeast of Toronto.

Tiger
01-06-06, 03:21 PM
Dan,
Thanks for your input! I've recently sold my 2004 Avalanche and am considering the Cadillac SRX as a replacement. Your feedback means a lot!

PS Still liking the Trailblazer SS though! :D

danncas
02-11-06, 09:27 PM
I jusrt drove it in the frist snow only a few inches ,very disappointed steering is bad in snow. My Saab did so much better. Anyone have anything to say?
I like to here from others:(

john d
02-11-06, 10:52 PM
I jusrt drove it in the frist snow only a few inches ,very disappointed steering is bad in snow. My Saab did so much better. Anyone have anything to say?
I like to here from others:(
two wheel drive or awd?

danncas
02-11-06, 11:16 PM
awd V8

lundbeno
02-13-06, 08:11 AM
I found the handling quite stable. Not really impressed with the oem tires.
Between the traction control and stabilitrak its hard to get out of control.
Turn off the TC and let the fun begin.
Just my two cents.....:bigroll:

miked
02-13-06, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I think that handling in the snow does depend a lot, if not primarily, on the tires. We used to have a little BMW Z3 roadster when we lived in Minnesota. I switched out the summer tires for snow tires in the winter, and it performed as well -- if not better, than our AWD Subaru Forester that we had at the time, which was equipped with all seasons. Of course, for deep snow, the Z3 had problems just because it was so low to the ground, but through normal stuff, it was great.

I find our SRX to be OK, but imagine that if I were to put snow tires on it, that it would be unstoppable. But because in the Pacific Northwest snow is so rare unless you venture up to the mountains, it's not worth it.

afg350ci
03-14-06, 08:28 AM
Is anyone interested in TireChains for factory size 18" wheels for RWD SRX? I purchased them for a trip to Tennessee in late January, but there was no snow. I've never even opened the package. The vendor refuses to let me return them. I live in Miami, so I don't think I'll be using them any time soon.

Please help.