: Installing TPS right now.....

prosin
11-17-05, 09:53 PM
:crying: I am preparing to install a new TPS tonight and was wondering if there is anything I need to know, also replaced fuel pump last night. Car will only idle and run sporadically in drive, sputtering- runs smooth- stalls with codes P022-P070-P071-PO81-PO95. I am also hearing a clicking sound when the ignition is on, I can feel the accelarator pedal pulsing - this stops when I put my foot on the gas. This is my everyday car and I am desperate to get it running.

Ranger
11-17-05, 10:01 PM
I don't know what year car this is but the clicking and pulsing accelerator sounds like a bad ISC motor.

zonie77
11-17-05, 10:06 PM
There have been a couple of cars in the 94-95 range that had problems because of the insulation coming off the wires in the harness to the intake. Take a look at the wires under the plastic covering that comes out of the intake and runs to a connector under the throttle body.

prosin
11-17-05, 10:12 PM
It is a 1993 Allante......

prosin
11-18-05, 12:35 AM
Replaced TPS and still will only idle smoothly- if you put it in drive and give it a little gas it just coughs and sputters to a stall. Same codes as above are showing. Ran fine until Sunday when it began out of no where. Would appreciate any help.......

zonie77
11-18-05, 02:00 AM
Did you check that harness? Not sure if it's similar to the Seville.

prosin
11-18-05, 08:35 AM
All connections are solidly connected. I recently replaced the intake plenum, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. It had been running perfectly.

zonie77
11-18-05, 10:37 AM
Did you check the wires in the harness?

prosin
11-18-05, 10:59 AM
All wires appear in good shape and solidly connected.

prosin
11-18-05, 11:23 AM
Any thoughts on the P081 code - I do not understand the CAM to 4x Correlation Problem. While idling it seemed to have a blueish gassy exhaust- never has done this before.

zonie77
11-18-05, 09:30 PM
My experience, which closely matches yours (including the smoke), was the harness.

zonie77
11-30-05, 12:43 AM
Prosin, did you ever fix/resolve this problem?

prosin
11-30-05, 01:24 PM
Wow- I just made a new post - I did not realize this was still active - this thing is killing me - and I will not have money to take it anywhere for a couple weeks - I am going to get killed one day limping it in to work - GRRRRR.

zonie77
11-30-05, 04:21 PM
Did you check for an EGR problem? smooth idle isn't normal with egr but if it isn't opening it will cause you to run rich.

prosin
11-30-05, 04:38 PM
I am pretty certain it is operational -I've adjusted it while in diagnostics and could hear changes in the engine idle smoothness.

prosin
11-30-05, 05:15 PM
How do you replace that harness if it is bad?

zonie77
11-30-05, 06:00 PM
It comes out of the bottom of the intake. My brother had the problem. It suddenly ran terrible, it would idle but barely run, and blew out a lot of smoke. It gave a bunch of codes but some were contradictory. Giving an open and short for tps for instance. It took awhile to find. started testing continuity (because of the codes) and that's how we found it. We'd have continuity between a pin on one end and several pins on the other end.

If you've opened up the harness and the wires are good that shouldn't be your problem.

eldorado1
11-30-05, 06:03 PM
To answer your previous question, the 81 will be set when there are too many pulses on the cam signal. Poorly routed spark plug wires and just normal operation can cause it. Nothing to worry about.

harness is a possibility, but since he's getting readings for everything, but the map is just slightly out of line, I would put it on high probability. Hopefully his next update will be a "it's fixed". ;)

prosin
12-01-05, 02:49 PM
TA-DA - A lunch time replacement of the map sensor immediately fixed the problem - I guess I should apologize for stubbornly thinking that a TPS and MAP would not fail simultaneously. But I am now driving ad pulling out in heavy cross traffic with utmost of confidence:cool2:

eldorado1
12-01-05, 02:53 PM
if you kept your old TPS, you should swap that back in... I bet you'll see no difference. ;)

zonie77
12-01-05, 07:46 PM
Great! Congratulations on fixing it!

Similar symptoms don't always have the same cause!