: Volvo XC90

powerglide
11-17-05, 07:42 PM
Considering it.... :hide:

Any thoughts you guys?

mccombie_5
11-17-05, 07:45 PM
:thepan: :thepan: :thepan: :thepan: :thepan: :thepan:

Its supposed to be a nice car, 7 seats, good engines, SUV SUV SUV, and it looks pretty good too, and it will be safe.

I liek them, i wouldnt own one though, too much like a soccer mom

FSU_Noles
11-17-05, 08:03 PM
I had one as a rental car and it was comforable enough and had all the neat bells and whistles but it only had the 2.5L engine - no where near enough power to pull that behemoth family cruiser. I hope you are considering the V8 because if not I think you will be disappointed.

urbanski
11-17-05, 08:09 PM
i loved my S60, and the dealer service kicked ass....they treated you like royalty and gave you a nice clean loaner.
Echo the V8. I think you'll dig it.
Of course there's the TrailBlazer SS :devil:

mccombie_5
11-17-05, 08:12 PM
Oh Volvos are fantastic, i like them

Ive had four or five Volvos in the last 20 years. Theyre very good cars.

powerglide
11-17-05, 09:13 PM
Yeah, my local dealer has a 2005 with the Yamaha V8 engine, I think I can get it for about 15-20% below sticker.....so I got curious.

I think I'll go take a look after work.....but like Craig said, I'm worried about the soccermom aspect.

I want something luxo, comfy ride, high seating position..

Dunno, still alot of money though.....feelin impulsive today! :lildevil:

Elvis
11-17-05, 11:47 PM
It's a good vehicle, but I think it's overpriced. I liked the XC70 as well. You need to plan on keeping it 10 years at those prices.

If you like the Volvo design aspect, take a CLOSE look at the Ford Freestyle. It's a damn safe, smooth vehicle. It was my second choice in the SUV world, ahead of the Explorer and Envoy.

Frankly I liked the Freestyle almost as well as the SRX because of the price. 28 mpg doesn't hurt, either. Yeah, it's got a CVT and a weak V6, but you're probably not planning on towing anything with a Volvo anyway.

The SRX was a blast to drive, but I couldn't justify that money when something as nice as the Freestyle was available for $10K less. Same reason I bought the Expy instead of the Escalade. $11K less, same features, only 45 less hp.

If you like that size, go try out an Envoy Denali. Less money, better features, probably even more comfortable. No soccer mom stigma, either.

90Brougham350
11-18-05, 12:57 AM
Not a bad-looking vehicle by any means!

http://www.volvocars.us/Showroom/XC90/Gallery/Exterior/

http://www.volvocars.us/NR/rdonlyres/A85FF0EF-DB91-4F7F-BAD0-35D3C68705DD/0/XC90_EXT_604X314_12.jpg

http://www.volvocars.us/NR/rdonlyres/BF631FE5-FEC1-41F1-8352-4D6BC4435D8F/0/XC90_EXT_604X314_11.jpg
http://www.volvocars.us/NR/rdonlyres/3443806D-DB92-444A-A668-3A6632C66796/0/xc90_int_604x314_04.jpg

Jesda
11-18-05, 01:18 AM
The XC90 to me looks strange, but thats the one and only point I have against it. Its just a great rig.

powerglide
11-18-05, 01:22 AM
Just got back from the test drive.

Nice looking, GREAT driving, that V8 is nice, the ride is well controlled but comfortable.

The seats are tiny, rear seats are a joke (third row....well, not even worth mentioning). The stereo sucks, the guages look like they belong in a 20K car.

For the money, I'm defintely gonna be passing on this one.

My mom just bought the xc70 and seems to love it, but for me its too 'station wagoney'

So much for the Volvo...the search/fantasy continues!

Elvis
11-18-05, 10:26 AM
Same objections I had. Volvo reliability and service department go a long way toward overcoming that.

powerglide
11-18-05, 12:47 PM
Next stop Infiniti FX35.

These things are pretty damned expensive too. With 6 cylinder engine it prices up about around 36-37 grand.....the xc90 V8 was around 41-42k.

Any thoughts folks?

Elvis
11-18-05, 01:11 PM
Next stop Infiniti FX35.

These things are pretty damned expensive too. With 6 cylinder engine it prices up about around 36-37 grand.....the xc90 V8 was around 41-42k.

Any thoughts folks?

BUY IT.

I just remembered, I wrote a review on the FX:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=259734&postcount=47

Where I started in my search for the next vehicle certainly was different than my destination. I was thinking small SUV or wagon and it kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

I think the Navigator test-drive I took in late-April is what sealed the deal. I couldn't justify spending all that money on one, but as soon as I saw that the "Limited" Expedition was identical and $12K less, I was sold. I didn't need/want the power running boards or power tailgate. But I did get air-conditioned seats! :)

powerglide
11-18-05, 01:31 PM
WOW!

Thanks Elvis, thats exact;y what I needed! (Objective reviews of the market from someone I trust!!)
I wish the reputation buttons were back, I'd be hitting the kudos button right now :thumbsup:

I was concerned about the 2 things you mentioned as well, the seats seem TOO sculpted, 'fits like a glove' maybe but I prefer "lounge like a sofa"......but perhaps if the car rides and corners so fast, maybe I'll prefer thhe seats afterall.

The other thing is the harsh ride. I have read this multiple times from owners.

Final thing that bugs me is that the 2006 models don't come in until Feb 2006.

I was hoping to get a deal on a 2005 now using the whole (the 06's have arrived the 05's gotta go sale...)

Well, I'm at a loss.....maybe my 'new car fever' will now have a chance to cool off.

Elvis
11-18-05, 01:45 PM
You'll just have to drive it. Everybody's ass is different! :p

Maybe this one will fit yours!

I just re-read that entire thread. It ran from 2/5/05 to 5/31/05 when I finally bought the Expedition. Talk about stream of consciousness... I was all over the map.

I love buying and researching cars. There's no bigger thrill. It's hard to believe I've had this truck for six months. Still happy with it. Only 5,200 miles!

powerglide
11-18-05, 02:16 PM
I know exactly what you mean...I am all over the map as well!

BTW, dealer just called and said theyve got a 05 FX35 in the color I want but its used. (1,900 miles only though).

Aside from the fact that the interest rate is higher for used cars, is there something else I should know about?

(resale value drops cuz 2 owners)

If the new 05 is 36K$ what do you think the discount for a titled used one should be??

I'm thinkin if they can do 30K$ I'd pull the trigger....wonder if that reasonable? (its really hard pricing barely used current model year cars)

Kev
11-18-05, 02:32 PM
OK, stupid question here;

Why would someone buy a new car and then sell it after less than 2,000 miles?

That's got to take a bite out of the pocket book, why would someone take that kind of hit?
And, did you say there were two owners for that car?

The fish aint smellin too fresh on that deal.... :duck:

powerglide
11-18-05, 02:43 PM
No I meant, I will be the second owner (ie two owner car when I sell it)

The first question is a good one that I asked and got, the woner thought the ride was harsh and bought something else from them.......who knows what the true story is.

either way, I'm not gonna buy it unless the price is AT LEAST 15% (but looking for 30%) below the carsdirect.com price of 37,000$.

15% off would be 31.5K$
20% off would be 29.6K$

Elvis
11-18-05, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about 1900 miles. The previous owner could've just as easily traded up to the FX45. Dealers do that all the time.

Or it could've been a demo that got too much use in too short a time. It could've been a professional athlete's. You'd be surprised how many games dealers can play with their inventory just to show a new one moved on the books. My buddy at the GMC dealership lets state representatives take whatever they want off the lot.

15% off MSRP is good anywhere on a brand new one, so go from there. Remember Infiniti doesn't discount as heavily as Ford or GM would (25%). Also, if they'll re-start the clock on your warranty it's as good as a new one. I don't know if they'll do that kind of thing or not.

Make sure you like it first, then if you have time over Thanksgiving weekend see what they'll do. If that doesn't work, hit them one more time on the 29th or 30th. Sometimes the third time is the charm.

powerglide
11-18-05, 08:37 PM
Ok just got back from the dealership.

Test drove the used one, but the price was wrong (they were basically asking the same as new) so I left that and started working on a new car.

I got the price down to where they told me it was below invoice (2005 FX35)
Thats $35,496 for the car with the touring package, mats, roof racks, leather, XM etc. The MSRP for this comes to 39500 so I think thats a good deal *they are advertising 3800 off msrp on the fxs, so I its a bit better than that.

Financing was agood at 1.9% for 36 months.

Trade in of 5000 was decent (but horrible compared to private party price of 7300).

The thing that I don;t get is that I have to pay sales tax on the price of the car (35K) not the DIFFERENCE after my trade in is included. I have read that was not the case.....anyone know?

Anyways I really like the car, it was great looking black/black and decent size inside (my left elbow felt a bit cramped though) and I thought the deal was good. But my wife suggested I sleep on it and call my insurance agent first (god bless her cool headedness).

What do you guys think?

http://www.globalcar.com/img/15345001.jpg

Elvis
11-18-05, 08:56 PM
I believe the sales tax thing is right. But it's deductible on your federal taxes if you can itemize. If you're borderline, this will tip the scales for you.

Those are both beauties. I'd go with silver or white, I'm burned out on black. Too much work keeping it looking good! (But I agree the black one is the best-looking one!)

One thing I've learned, NOBODY gets that private party price, even in the paper. $5,000 is probably good depending on your mileage. 1.9% is REALLY good, even if it's just 36 months.

Have you considered leasing? I would have for a vehicle like that. Since I was getting a truck, and I consider it a 10-year farm implement I wanted to purchase.

Your wife is right, sleep on it. Maybe even drive it again in a few days. Go look at something else just to get the taste out of your mouth! Maybe a loaded Murano or a MDX? Or SRX? Envoy Denali? It will make you more confident in your decision.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it at all. I just played tricks like this on myself to make sure I was getting the RIGHT one. Or, you might wake up tomorrow morning DETERMINED to buy it before noon. Everybody's different!

powerglide
11-18-05, 10:01 PM
Yeah I think I negotiated the hell out of them.
The agreed price is below the best price on carsdirect.com.
My caddy just hit 98000 miles and although its in great condition, considering the fact that the dealer has no choice but to dump it on auction, I think 5000 is good. 1.9% can;t be beat!

drove the xc90, not a big fan. Hate the murano and the FWD platform. Love the SRX exterior, but not the interior, reliablity and resale, MDX and Rx330 too soccermom.

I don't think I can squeeze the dealer for anymore, maybe get a free oil change or a couple of bike rack attachements (30 bucks)

I almost pulled the trigger, I was THIS close. Glad my wife talked me out of it.

I guess, the big question for me now is do I want to blow that kinda dough on a vehichle.......my brain says hell no.

powerglide
11-19-05, 02:26 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think I wanna buy it!

The question in my mind now is should I get the sport package or not?

Its 'only' 1700 more and it includes 20 inch rims, sport suspension, drilled aluminum pedals, clear rear LED lights, etched aluminum interior panels and silver roof rack.

I like that look alot, but the ride was harsh enough without the 20's and sport pack so I decided to go without it. But the more I see the 20's the more I wonder....

What say ye?

Elvis
11-19-05, 01:34 PM
I'd do without the sport package.

If your mind is made up to be anti-American, :p I think you've picked the right vehicle.

Don't worry about your left arm being cramped. Drive with that one and lean on the right like a true gangsta!

The deal will still be there until at least 11/30. Maybe even 12/31. Take your time, dealers love it when you feel rushed.

Playdrv4me
11-19-05, 02:16 PM
The FX is an ok choice. Personally the XC90 V8 has alot more character to me than the FX even if the interior is a little off. Thing is to me the Infiniti interiors are not any less cheap than the Volvo interiors. Nissans and Infinitis of late have alot of hard plastic in them that just bothers me a bit, especially the dash cluster.

The FX is a good SUV in that it is very non traditional. If I was going to go the FX route I would absoutely get the Burnt Orange color with the orange seats, I LOVE that crazy combination on that vehicle because the whole truck is different and stands out.

I think the Volvo is a little more refined, but thats just me... then again you can get a 2001 740i Sport in Imola red or a 2004 VW Phaeton with like 25k miles for that kind of money :)

urbanski
11-19-05, 05:15 PM
get the 20s, in chrome :cool:

powerglide
11-19-05, 06:43 PM
Elvis, I am going to go ahead and take your advice.
No need to rush, and the more I think about it, the better I feel about not taking on another car loan!
Like you said, the deals willl be there and will probably get better as 05 comes to and end.
Thanks to everyone for indulging me in yet another one of these threads :)

Elvis
11-20-05, 02:15 AM
I think I started three threads like this before I finally decided. The first one was about a '96 Fleetwood--triple black, with 59,000 miles. Came real close on that one but just couldn't pull the trigger.

It's fun, isn't it? I'm enjoying watching the wheels turn in your head.

Keep it up!

powerglide
11-21-05, 04:55 AM
Well......in that case this is the latest idea rollin around in my skull.

Nissan Murano S.

(thats the base version, cloth seats no sunroof) with incentives its 24G's for a 2005.

I never really like the design but its livable.....not a fan of the FWD platform....but compared to all the 24K$ new car options out there, its a friggin bargain! Also, the CVT may/maynot be cool...but I hear the ride is really decent (unlike the FX....which I have somehow grown attached to)

If I feel like it I may swing my the Nissan delaer tomorrow and check one out.
(speaking of bargain, my buddy just bought a mitsubishi endevaour....6000 off of sticker!!_what friggin ugly car though)

Elvis
11-21-05, 10:26 AM
Dude, you gotta be in love before you buy something like that. If the Caddy is still running smoothly and you don't have any pressing need for an SUV, just hang onto it.

The reason I say YOU have to be "in love" is because YOU are a car enthusiast. Otherwise you wouldn't be a member of this forum. YOU are incapable of just buying something because it will get you from point A to point B.

You gotta FEEL it.

Now, if you drive the Murano and really like it, that's great. I think there's a chance you might. But DON'T settle for something you're not absolutely crazy about.

Go look at a Honda CR-V. It's about the same size, very well-engineered, and you can get one completely loaded for something like $27K. They don't look that bad anymore, either. Don't let the dash-mounted shifter throw you. It's really not that different from being on the steering column, which I prefer.

powerglide
11-21-05, 12:47 PM
You're absolutely right ofcourse.....I have some time around lunch so I will check it out real quick and report back.

The problem with car enthusiasts like me, we tend to fall in love with the unattainables....Like Ralph and his Girlies :hide:

powerglide
11-21-05, 06:20 PM
Just drove the Murano and was pleasantly surprised.
It was much better than I anticipated.

The front seats seem to be bigger and wider than than the FX, the ride is much smoother.
CVT works great and quite quick (0-60 7.5 sec).
Rear seat is very large, lots of leg room and it reclines too.
Impressed.....

None of the Nissan dealers carry the base model so I dunno how they feel....the one I tested was pretty well loaded.
But there's NO WAY I'm gonna may 32Gs for that when the FX that I love is 34.5Gs.

The search continues....

Playdrv4me
11-21-05, 06:27 PM
I almost bought an 04 Murano SL fully loaded with xenon, power everything, plus DVD entertainment in the headrests for about 25 with 19k miles.

I couldnt stand it. It just felt odd to drive around and the seats were not very supportive. Plus it had that hallmark Nissan plasticky feeling I was talking about earlier. You will tire of it quickly.

powerglide
11-21-05, 06:36 PM
Yeah I suspect you're right.....thats why I'd only consider buying the stripped base version as a cheap tool/daily drive.

Swear to god that fx35 is becoming more desirous evry day!

I dunno what happend to me?

Elvis
11-21-05, 07:01 PM
I would agree, if the difference between the Murano and FX are $32K and $34K, I'd go FX. But can't you negotiate the Nissan down to $28? Would that make a difference?

It sounds to me like you're in love. You just don't know it yet. Keep looking until you figure it out.

I'm not going to suggest you look at the Lexus because I don't think it's anywhere in the same ballpark. It's just an entirely different vehicle.

If you're looking for something less expensive, check out the Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrent. They might surprise you. Very much like a car.

I was blown away by the Ford Freestyle. The price is right on them too. Same thing, more like a high-sitting wagon.

The Pacifica is really REALLY nice, and the Magnum is in a league of its own. If you don't have a Dodge aversion you might check them out.

If it's a utility thing, you should look at the CR-V. That's probably the best-built and engineered one.

But the FX has the sex appeal that NONE of the above do. ;)