: How to upgrade from Windows XP to x64?

weister42
11-17-05, 06:18 PM
I have XP Professional right now and I have an Athlon 64 3200+, I just got a copy from a friend who works at my school (fo free:sneaky: ) and I want to upgrade my computer. The disc asked me to install this version during booting and I did that, but it says no hard drive found. I uploaded a third-party SATA controller software when I first installed XP so I think I just have to find that floppy and do it again. My question is how compatible is it with my current components such as printer, digital camera, web cam, soundcard/videocard and such. Also do I have to erase my current version of Windows or can I upgrade from it?

Never used Win X64, but it's going to make my computer even faster:lildevil:

Spyder
11-17-05, 06:53 PM
You got it free, because the person who bought it gave it to you as a gift and didn't install it on any other computers, right? :D I couldn't help ya with the installing though...I'm about six years behind on the whole computer techno crap...my brain is still stuck in windows 3.11, although anything with that system I can do with my eyes closed! :)

urbanski
11-17-05, 06:55 PM
i'm far from an expert....but
if you have a SATA hard drive you need that floppy. load the drivers and install should continue.
Upgrading windows, putting a new version over another, always invites trouble. Its always better to reformat and reinstall. Given that...is it worth it? I have 2 PCs with 64bit AMD chips, but run normal XP on them. No reason to do the 64bit OS in my humble opinion. Unless of course you run a bunch of 64 bit software :)

Kev
11-17-05, 06:56 PM
Windows 3.11 For Workgroups? 6 years? Try 11 or 12! Good night man! What is the speed of the computer you are working on? A 386??!! :bighead:

slk230mb
11-17-05, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't jump into Windows X64, there really aren't a lot of programs that make use of the 64 bit processor. A friend of mine with a 64 bit system had Windows XPx64 installed for a while, but he didn't care for it at all and eventually switched back to the regular 32 bit version. And you are going to need that floppy for the SATA drivers.

Kev
11-17-05, 07:02 PM
The number one best piece of advise regarding operating systems is this;

NEVER take the first generation OS unless you are a beta tester! :banghead:

Chances are, Microsoft has been working on Service Pack 1 before the first release hit the shelves and they are likely taking notes for Service Pack 2 as I type this! :thepan:

terrible one
11-17-05, 07:17 PM
Windows x64 offers no real performance over the normal XP, even though you've got the 64 bit processor. Not only does it still have some bugs to be worked out, but like I said it is no advantage unless you are doing really taxing things like video editing, etc etc.

DBA-One
11-17-05, 09:15 PM
Is everyone here a moderator?

malcolm
11-17-05, 09:30 PM
Hate to pile on here but you are trying to put a Northstart in a golf cart. Unless you are calculating tradjectory for an interstellar space shot leave it alone for now.

weister42
11-17-05, 11:16 PM
Part of my major is audio/video editing and we use Song Vegas, Sound FOrge and Acid Pro, it works fine but video editing softwares eats up a lot of processing power and memory. I was editing a 30 minute video in Vegas and it ate up almost all of my ram and maxed out my processor (Athlon 64 3200+, 1 gig of ram, two Raptor drives in RAID 0). For now Windows XP is treating me very well so should I keep the disc until Microsoft release their service packs?

Kev
11-18-05, 01:03 AM
I'm assuming what you do is important to you, with that in mind I would wait at least 6 months after release or longer. Microsoft is famous for introducing new OS's with exploitable holes large enough for us to drive our Caddies through!

Use what works now, be patient and watch tech news for issues with X64 before you take the plunge. You may be very happy that you did.

illumina
11-18-05, 01:16 AM
I'm assuming what you do is important to you, with that in mind I would wait at least 6 months after release or longer. Microsoft is famous for introducing new OS's with exploitable holes large enough for us to drive our Caddies through!

Use what works now, be patient and watch tech news for issues with X64 before you take the plunge. You may be very happy that you did.

I agree. Get on the bandwagon later in its life so that you can avoid having to call the "Geek Squad" to fix the problems it might have at first.

Krashed989
11-18-05, 04:22 AM
I've heard of people running secondary OS's off of an external HD. I wonder if that would be a possibility in this situation...?

urbanski
11-18-05, 09:02 AM
every time i've tried dual-booting it messed everything up. not that its impossible. maybe look into partition magic or something similar, run dual-boot system. good luck not destroying your original XP install though :p

slk230mb
11-18-05, 10:22 AM
every time i've tried dual-booting it messed everything up. not that its impossible. maybe look into partition magic or something similar, run dual-boot system. good luck not destroying your original XP install though :p

It's not that hard. I've dual booted Win98SE with XP. Ubuntu with XP, and 2 copies of XP. As long as you are careful you won't screw up anything.