Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Writing on the wall for Mitsubishi... DCX sells remaining stake...

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  I~LUV~Caddys8792 
#1 ·
One of the few things that kept Mitsubishi's head above water was the fact that they were able to share technology and projects with Chrysler. Well it appears that after current projects expire, that will no longer be the case...

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103591

#2 ·
Screw them. I was a hard core DSM'er with my turbo Talon. When they came out with that joke in '00 That was the end for them from the true DSM crowd. Hell, DSM.org would even allow them to be talked about. The EVO is way too expensive and for some reason, it has to be ugly. With each intoduction of the Eclipse they have to move even more far away from the 1 and 2 G cars. Mitsu had it right between 89-94. Power and no crank walk.

#3 ·
How important is Mitsubishi Automotive to Mitsubishi in general? I know they have a lot of other things that they make. (Electronics and Heavy Machinery Come to mind)

#5 ·
DSM= Diamond Star Motors

My friends got a '91 Talon TSI AWD...I hate that car, so many damn problems, leaks 5 quarts of oil a week, used to leak coolant, ECU burned out! Basically, the car is in repair 3 of 7 days of the week!:banghead:

And yes, the 89-94 is the ugly, wedge shaped model.

From what I've heard, DSM's always had lots of problems, and were a under engineered car. All of the DSM's I've been in have felt cheap, flimsy and plasticy. I'll NEVER buy one

#7 ·
Sandy said:
I love the 1997 - 2004 Diamante. It's beautiful ! They killed it for '05
I'm right there with you on the Diamante - truly beautiful.

The 3000GT VR4 was awesome as well, but I don't think Chrysler really backed DSM with the product and dilluted DSM's 'flagship' to sell volume.

Going back even further the Starion was a bada$$ little ride in it's time...

The EVO 10 concept could help DSM out....

http://autotrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?ArticleID=1268131&TabID=501088&Alias=autotradernz

#9 ·
Honda, Nissan, Scion, and Pontiac should benefit from this.

Without the Diamante, Mitsu is already dead to me.
The Eclipse hasnt been much of a sports car in ten years. I -love- the early 90s turbo Eclipse. Acceleration that sends your organs into the back of the seat and cornering grip that tosses them right out the window.

#10 ·
Jesda said:
The Eclipse hasnt been much of a sports car in ten years. I -love- the early 90s turbo Eclipse. Acceleration that sends your organs into the back of the seat and cornering grip that tosses them right out the window.
yeah, when it's running:bomb:

#13 ·
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
DSM= Diamond Star Motors

My friends got a '91 Talon TSI AWD...I hate that car, so many damn problems, leaks 5 quarts of oil a week, used to leak coolant, ECU burned out! Basically, the car is in repair 3 of 7 days of the week!:banghead:

And yes, the 89-94 is the ugly, wedge shaped model.

From what I've heard, DSM's always had lots of problems, and were a under engineered car. All of the DSM's I've been in have felt cheap, flimsy and plasticy. I'll NEVER buy one
My '93 Talon was a great car. I didn't think it was ugly, either. It didn't leak or use oil and it had a lot done to the motor. It was very fast and reliable. I only had two complaints about them. The transmission is made of glass and the brakes are all but useless.

I don't know why you would call a 1G under engineered. Where else could you find an all wheel drive turbos sports car at that price. The turbo cars respond greatly to modifications, even free ones like removing the air filter intake cover, cheap items like boost controllers, etc.

My ECu did burn out but I replaced it with a '94 version which could be programmed. The car ran as new with that ECU. Mine was fast, relaible, easy to work on/modify, it didn't have tons of problems. It was a great car. Other Mitsubishis? that is a different story.

#14 ·
Yes, from what I've heard from my friends who own DSM's, the 1G is far superior to the 2G in many respects. My friends' 91 TSI has the 6 bolt motor (4G63 I think they call it) and I hear it's much better than the 7 bolt motor because the 7 bolt has crankwalk problems, and I believe it has some problems spinning bearings and what not. I guess the 6 bolt is the really desired motor in these cars, and they only made it for a few years. His car is fast, and does handle well, but it's never running, but I guess he's getting the ECU fixed this week, so after thats done, and the mysterious oil leak is fixed, it should be 100% (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!)

#15 ·
Tell him when he gets the new ECU the difference in the way the car runs will be night and day. There is a company called

http://www.foreignecurepair.com/

I highly recommend them. This is where I got my new '94 ECU. Many problems with how the car runs come right back to the ECU. They don't just up and fail. They do all kinds of things like make the car feel like it is not running on all four and then be fine, the car will stall for no reason, etc before finally failing.

You are correct with regards to the 1G version of the 4G63. In the DSM world they are desired more not just because they don't suffer from crank walk but seem to make better power from mods. I've got no experience with 2G cars so I don't know for sure but this is what people would write at dsm.org

#16 ·
Cool..thanks for the advice :) Its good I have someone that can answer my DSM questions :)

#18 ·
#20 ·
hahahaha yeah, my impression of that site is just a bunch of kids who think they know a lot about cars.

#22 ·
good, good, I'll refer him to there tonight :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.