: Dealer Sold Me Lade With Frame Damage

wht02lade
11-15-05, 07:06 PM
Bought the lade from a caddy dealer last january. I asked if it was ever involved in acident, they said no. It is a certified preowned. When I first test drove it drove fine but the alignment was off so I told to perform an alignment before I bought it. When i picked it up they said they took care of everything. It drove better but still pulled way to much from the crown of the road. A couple days after picking up the truck right tail light was out thrid brake light went out, and I noticed rear heat didnt work. Truck was in to the dealer 3 other times for steering and clunking I was hearing under neath truck, they said nothing was wrong. Then on this past thursday the panhard rod on the rear axlt snapped while driving. Towed truck to dealer, on monday they tell me it not warranty and that I have to pay for the loaner. I would pay the loaner but paided parts and labor. Today I said this isnt right and ran a carfax at work and it came that it had frame damage. I spoke to the general manager and im now waiting for him to call me back. I already spoke with my lawyer, just waiting to hear back from the GM before the next step. IM SO DAMN PISSED. ANY SUGGESTIONS. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST.

terrible one
11-15-05, 07:18 PM
That's horrible man, I really do hate it for you.

I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but seems to me that you are clearly in the right. Hopefully you'll intimidate them and get a good settlement of some sort, wether it be money, a new Escalade, etc etc. Hopefully it won't come down to a trial or anything.

womsterr
11-15-05, 09:06 PM
Damn dude that just plain sucks. Your def gonna have to your attorney involved in that one. You need to come up with an acceptable outcome that your willing to accept now. I can almost bet they will say they never told you it was not in an accident. Please keep us informed and good luck.

ewill3rd
11-15-05, 09:13 PM
They screwed up bad by certifying that and selling it to you.

Since they certified it, they HAVE to pay for the repairs if you can prove that the damage took place before the truck was certified.
They made their own bed.....

Playdrv4me
11-15-05, 09:32 PM
And guess what... the CarFax will most likely have the date the damage occured or was reported, and thats all the proof you need. If it shows a date prior to when the vehicle was sold to you, I dont think the dealer really has much recourse. The Pre Owned Certified programs are very stringent and dealers are supposed to catch that sort of thing. If not they can be stripped of their ability to offer the program (much like Chrysler supposedly only awards the 5 Star certification to certain dealers).

terrible one
11-15-05, 09:59 PM
Also even if they hadn't told you it was in an accident, they are responsible for checking everything, etc in order to "certify" it. If it's certified, then they are pretty much saying its all good.

mikeee
11-15-05, 11:09 PM
That sucks. I wouldnt settle for "just fixing it", I wouldnt even wait for a call back. I would sue them so fast they would need to show up in court before they can prepare a defense. Damn idiots, I dont know how they stay in business. I dont care if its a mistake, this is not a mistake to be made. Get anything and everything you can from them. Get all your money back and if youre financed, get another ride from another dealer and have your lawyer sue them to pay the difference.

Rolex
11-15-05, 11:17 PM
Wow I hate to hear that. It's going to be hard on you no matter how you go. They won't give you jack on a buy back, which is why you need to get a lawyer involved. I'm glad it's certified, but I'll bet they won't straighten the frame under warranty.....which is what needs to happen to make the vehicle safe. Good luck and keep us posted on how things turn out.

And don't EVER go to this dealer again!

wht02lade
11-15-05, 11:24 PM
The damage occured more than a year before I bought the truck. My lawyer has already been contacted. A friend of a friend is the director of consumer affair fraud which investigates these kinds of things and he is all over it. So I cant wait to hear what the dealer has to say, im not ket up on this one. I work at a dealer so I know how they work.

2000Escalade
11-15-05, 11:27 PM
just tell them you dont want a f* car with a bad frame
safty
if u did know it had a bad frame u would not have bught the car

ILLNALI
11-15-05, 11:34 PM
The damage occured more than a year before I bought the truck. My lawyer has already been contacted. A friend of a friend is the director of consumer affair fraud which investigates these kinds of things and he is all over it. So I cant wait to hear what the dealer has to say, im not ket up on this one. I work at a dealer so I know how they work.

Wow real sorry to hear that this is happening. What dealership in NJ? It is funny (well no really at all) I just found out some similar news with my M3 which is also certified. I am about to take action next week (Putting some things back to stock so they can't try to give me any B.S.) I have a feeling I am still going to get a similar reaction from the dealer. Could you please pm or email me any contact info from the guy a consumer affairs??? I think I am really going to need his assistance as well. Hope everything works itself out for you!!!

wht02lade
11-16-05, 12:36 AM
ILLNALI the consumer affair fraud guy is my dads friends friend so ill have to get the number from my father. This guy can only handle cases in bergen county or something but ill see what I can do about a number. The dealer is Brogan Cadillac. What dealer is this with your M3? I work for a mini copper dealer ship but we also have bmw.

Anybody no why I can't pm people? It's like im blocked

ILLNALI
11-16-05, 02:04 AM
cool thanks. It is BMW of Morristown. As for the pm's you have to turn it on in the User CP.

Lade
11-16-05, 03:23 AM
A certified car with frame damage= A new Escalade (pre-owned certified 02 or better) and possibly a settlement for damages....such as putting your life in danger by selling you a certified GM vehicle which had frame damage...do not settle for the repairs being fixed...that car is marked and when you sell it will decrease the value quite a bit.

ewill3rd
11-16-05, 07:43 AM
Just to point out one small thing, just because a car has been in a wreck doesn't mean it's garbage. The problem here is that obviously they didn't repair all the damage. Insurance companies are notorious for doing that. They fix what they can see and try to wash their hands of it as fast as they can. My vehicle was in an accident a few years ago and I won't bore you with the details but it cost almost $15,000 dollars to restore the vehicle to factory condition but the body shop did a great job.

Now, I am not defending what your dealer did, they are in the wrong for certifying a crash car that was obviously not fixed properly AND not representing the vehicle to you for what it was. That being said, I would probably not want to buy that particular truck knowing that it had been in a major collision, but if it was restored to "like new" condition and represented as a repaired vehicle then I am not so sure I'd have a problem with it.... for the right price of course.

They represented the vehicle in "new" condition and cooked their own goose by certifying it. I actually have a similar problem with a customer's Deville that she bought recently at another store. This thing was in a MAJOR accident and everytime I work on it I find more and more stuff.
She was the same way, she about lost it when I told her that her radiator wasn't warranty because the car was in an accident. She had just bought it.

You have a very strong case there, I am sure whatever happens you will come out on top. Don't resent them too much, just understand that in business sometimes this kind of thing slips through. If it were me, at this point I would start looking for the truck you want and somehow work this situation to get the truck bought back and replaced.
But of course you should follow the instruction of your attorney.

hcvone
11-16-05, 08:31 AM
That sucks. Any time you purchase a used car you should get as much info as you can, i.e. CarFax and or take it to someone you trust to look the car/truck over before you buy. Just too many shady people out there. :(

Boombotz
11-16-05, 10:02 AM
ILLNALI the consumer affair fraud guy is my dads friends friend so ill have to get the number from my father. This guy can only handle cases in bergen county or something but ill see what I can do about a number. The dealer is Brogan Cadillac. What dealer is this with your M3? I work for a mini copper dealer ship but we also have bmw.

Anybody no why I can't pm people? It's like im blocked

You can not Pm anyone until you have atleast 50 post or you can become a supporting member!

turbojimmy
11-16-05, 11:46 AM
Just to point out one small thing, just because a car has been in a wreck doesn't mean it's garbage. The problem here is that obviously they didn't repair all the damage.

That's true. If they straightened the frame properly then it wouldn't be snapping panhard rods and you'd be able to align it. Frame damage does not neccessarily introduce saftety issues once repaired, if repaired properly. Does the Certified Pre-owned program guarantee that the car was never in a collision or simply that it will be mechanically reliable?

Jim

Avon Custom Wheels
11-16-05, 04:38 PM
I have to agree with ewil3rd. As the owner of a collision shop also here in New Jersey I can tell you that most Insurance companies do not want to pay what it really takes to fix vehicles properly. In my shop we have a $30k ultrasonic frame measuring computer that finds frame damage with sound waves, very high tech. I can't get paid to use it. Even though the State of NJ says I have to have it The Ins. co's do not want to pay me me to set it up and take measurements. It all boils down to money. Bodyshops are stuck in the middle. I wish you good luck.

Ernie.

blingblingcv
11-16-05, 11:40 PM
cool thanks. It is BMW of Morristown. As for the pm's you have to turn it on in the User CP.
Wow this dealership did this? My dad has bought and/or leased 5 bmws from them. We have found them great besides there body shop which took a little too long to fix one of the cars that was broken into.

Anyways I hope both of you get what you deserve. Because you just do not sell a messed up car. Good luck

wht02lade
11-17-05, 11:24 PM
ILLNALI you can try contacting Department of Public Safety Division of Consumer Protection. I ony have a number for this guy who works in Bergan county. The dealer offerd to pay me back for parts and labor bill I just paid for on monday. I told them that is unacceptable. I told them I do not want the truck with frame damage. I now waiting to hear from the owner and what he has to say. Should get call from him tomarrow.

wht02lade
11-19-05, 06:57 PM
Dealer called me back today and agreed to either refund me the full purchace price or swap trucks with another certified preowned lade. Im going to see what kind of deal they will work out on an 05 left over. Or I might just take my money and get the Trailblazer SS. I have a few options to work with here. The dealer finally realized the are at fault and need to make it right. Im going their on monday.
Thanks guys

Boombotz
11-19-05, 08:26 PM
Dealer called me back today and agreed to either refund me the full purchace price or swap trucks with another certified preowned lade. Im going to see what kind of deal they will work out on an 05 left over. Or I might just take my money and get the Trailblazer SS. I have a few options to work with here. The dealer finally realized the are at fault and need to make it right. Im going their on monday.
Thanks guys

Glad to see everything has worked out for you. Hopefully we see you in another Lade.

wht02lade
11-23-05, 09:16 PM
Well the dealer bought back my truck. I didnt want to get another used one and I didnt want my payments to increase, so for get a new one. Im getting Trailblazer SS hopefully on friday. So I am no longer an owner of a lade. I will miss it, ill get another one someday. 395hp and 400ftlb in a 4500lbs truck is more my style.
I had a good time and got alot of info from this site.

Thanks, Kyle

Bosshound
12-16-05, 04:03 AM
As a Former Body Shop Owner and Operator. Insurance companies Never want to pay to have a vehicle fixed properly. Once a Vehicle has been in an Accident it will NEVER be the same as a Factory Vehicle. My advice is DUMP this Lade and insist on a New one or a good used one without any Accident Damage. If not you will always have Creaks and Squeaks in your present Lade !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ewill3rd
12-16-05, 07:37 AM
Hopefully you came out of the deal okay.
I think you'll like your Trailblazer, I like mine but it's an inline 6 with on a few uplevel options.
I didn't want to spring for the extra money to get butt warmers and leather trim but I kind of prefer the cloth. Mine is 2WD also, because I hate working on 4WD so why would I buy one? LOL

Anyway, that's an unfortunate deal. Hopefully when you lay down at night you can say to yourself "at least they took care of it".