: Alligator as a pet?

weister42
11-15-05, 05:46 PM
This local pet shop in my town carries a lot of reptiles and a buddy of mine saw a two-foot American Alligator for $100, and it's still a baby. I don't know about any of you guys but I like exotic pets that scares people (they had a Bird Eater spider which grows to the size of a dinner plate), but I do know that these alligators can grow over 14 feet in years. I spoke to a visitor at the shop with two 4 foot alligators and he said they run around the house like dogs, except they're alligators. Anyone know how to keep such a pet?

Adam
11-15-05, 06:02 PM
wow, weird you mention this. i talked to a guy today who has an alligator as a pet. he has one room in his house that belongs to the gator. well it too runs around the house he said, but at night he locks it up. he took out the floor and dug down or something and has a small area of water and the rest is dirt/ sand and stuff. i dont know what he feeds it, i dont know why but i didnt ask. im about betting chickens though.

This local pet shop in my town carries a lot of reptiles and a buddy of mine saw a two-foot American Alligator for $100, and it's still a baby. I don't know about any of you guys but I like exotic pets that scares people (they had a Bird Eater spider which grows to the size of a dinner plate), but I do know that these alligators can grow over 14 feet in years. I spoke to a visitor at the shop with two 4 foot alligators and he said they run around the house like dogs, except they're alligators. Anyone know how to keep such a pet?

terrible one
11-15-05, 06:15 PM
That would be extremly cool! A tame alligator. Just like a dog, but much better!

urbanski
11-15-05, 06:36 PM
holy crap i'd love to see a tamed alligator!!

turbojimmy
11-15-05, 08:07 PM
There's no 'taming' a reptile. They're dumb as rocks. You can't house train them and you can't train them to not eat other house pets or people.
I had a Nile Monitor for a while. I bought him when he was only about 8" long. Pretty cute, black with yellow stripes. When he got to about 3 feet long he figured out how to get out of his 100 gallon tank (he was amphibious so half of the tank was water, half was land - I built a shelf inside of the tank). When I got home from work I'd know he was out because the cats would find the highest ground possible in the house. He had razor sharp claws and you had to wear gloves to handle him. We fed him mice, but full grown ones (up to 7 feet long) eat bigger stuff. The thing crapped as big as the cats and it was very difficult to keep it in an environment suitable for such a beast (warm, moist and clean). I also had to buy a permit from the state every year to keep him around. Eventually I sold him to an exotic pet store.
I'd say an alligator as a pet wouldn't be ideal for you or the alligator unless you live in a semi-tropical environment and can pen it up outside.
Jim

c5 rv
11-15-05, 08:10 PM
Very big mistake. If you're a college student, get a cat.

Boombotz
11-15-05, 11:03 PM

I can tell you my father had one when he was young. He was eventually forced to get rid of it or lose a arm. They really don't make a good pet!

RobertCTS
11-16-05, 06:15 AM
TurboJimmy hit it right on the head. Reptiles have pea brains and really can never trained. My friend has snakes and love to watch them eat baby mice. Someting wrong with that picture.
http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/alligator.jpg