: How long after loan is paid off will lender send title?

thu
11-14-05, 11:40 PM
After the payoff amount has been sent to GMAC, how long does it typically take GMAC to send the title?

powerglide
11-15-05, 02:15 AM
I don;t think its automatic.....I know of many instances where the owner had to ASK them to mail the damned thing.

turbojimmy
11-15-05, 06:41 AM
You should probably call them. It should be automatic but every time I've paid off a car loan there's been some kind of incompetence that delays or prevents the title from coming in a timely manner.

When I sold my Cavalier (shut up - it was a reliable little car) I had to finally drive to the GMAC office in NJ where they actually had the title stored.

Jim

Sandy
11-15-05, 08:10 AM
It should take absolutely NO LONGER than 5 working days. If you don't have it by the 5th working day - call up & squeek.

Elvis
11-15-05, 09:47 AM
You have to call in most cases. I don't know about GMAC, but two different banks I dealt with kept the titles until you demanded them.

They said it was a service they were providing for their customers, since most people lose titles. I say it was laziness.

thu
11-15-05, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys!

c5 rv
11-15-05, 08:04 PM
In Michigan, you already have your title and GMAC sends a release of lien letter to take to the Secretary of State office. When my son paid off his truck by certified check, we got the letter and a $0.75 check for overpayment within a week.

However, when I paid off my vette, I paid via their electronic banking service and they counted it as a personal check. This held up the letter for 3 weeks because they somehow classified it as unverified funds.

thu
11-15-05, 08:17 PM
I was just notified that the title was mailed to me today. I should have it Thursday. Whoo Hoo!