: Interesting Read: "Black October, the month that changed the Auto Industry"

Playdrv4me
11-14-05, 09:41 PM
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0511/14/A01-380513.htm

Put on your favorite Narrator's voice and dive in. Pretty eye opening look at the current status of the domestic car industry.

ben72227
11-14-05, 10:26 PM
Doesn't surprise me much. GM has had 30 years to make a better product than the Japs when it comes to quality, reliability, and fuel economy, and only now are they starting to suceed. Too late, too little. Everything from the exploding Ford Pintos to the Rubbermaid-looking GM interiors to the problem-laden DCX vehicles forced American consumers to turn to Toyota, Honda, and Nissan (along with a few others) who consistantly built/build reliable, efficient, and quality vehicles. Sure, some of you guys say that Jap cars aren't all they're cracked up to be, and that may be the case, BUT, most of the time, they run laps around GM's best offering, and now the American Auto Industry shall pay dearly for its neglect of the American consumer...

90Brougham350
11-14-05, 11:33 PM
"In the last days before filing, Miller took care of one last detail: boosting the severance packages for 21 top Delphi executives, and setting aside $88 million for potential bonuses for senior management. Only then, on Oct. 8, did the Delphi board approve the Chapter 11 filing in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York."

Once is a mistake, twice is stupidity, I don't know what it's called when it's been going on for 30 years. Things like huge executive salaries find their way out in sh*tty interiors. Things like massive health care costs find their way out in bland boring products. God bless it GM, why couldn't you just frigging build a quality vehicle, dammit!

powerglide
11-15-05, 02:17 AM
.......... Japs ...... Jap ...

Here I go again, takin offense.....I know its a pain int he ass to type out the whole word but do me a favor Ben!

gdwriter
11-15-05, 12:03 PM
"In the last days before filing, Miller took care of one last detail: boosting the severance packages for 21 top Delphi executives, and setting aside $88 million for potential bonuses for senior management. Only then, on Oct. 8, did the Delphi board approve the Chapter 11 filing in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York."

That's the part that makes me sick. Protecting the suits while screwing the rank and file workers. How can anybody think that's right? At least when American Airlines tried to pull a similar stunt, its CEO got his ass fired. Of course, he still made out way better than any flight attendant or baggage handler.