: sudden stalling

hogstamogsta
11-14-05, 08:06 PM
96 deville- i will be at idle and it will just all of a sudden shut off, it starts right back up every time, but it will just suddenly stall, no spuddering no nothing, it just shuts off, is this common or has this happened to someone else before? and whats wierd is when it stalls the only light that comes on is the oil light, but the oil level is fine and all that, no other check engine light or nothing comes on when it stalls....HELP! :worship:

Ranger
11-14-05, 09:57 PM
Sounds a lot like bad crankshaft sensor(s).

hogstamogsta
11-15-05, 03:58 PM
i just added some octane booster cause i was getting knocking and pinging, i heard those northstars dont like octane booster?

hogstamogsta
11-15-05, 09:05 PM
and is it hard to put a crankshaft position sensor in? and could it maybe be a clogged fuel filter or something?:confused:

Ranger
11-15-05, 10:16 PM
Clogged filter is unlikely. That would manifest itself at high fuel demands first, not at idle.

If you are getting knocking and pinging, try cleaning the EGR valve. The Northstar has a very effective knock sensor (if it is working), so you should never hear a knock. Octain booster will be a band aid at best.

Cranks sensors are not too hard to do...... so I hear. I have never had the pleasure.

hogstamogsta
11-16-05, 04:25 PM
what are the symptoms of a bad crank sensor

eldorado1
11-16-05, 04:36 PM
intermittant stalling, random hesitation and/or bucking, steady speed surging with out changing pedal position, misfiring, to name a few possibilities

hogstamogsta
11-27-05, 01:21 AM
yes but shouldnt that throw a code?

eldorado1
11-27-05, 10:00 AM
sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Ranger
11-27-05, 12:01 PM
I think a bad TPS might also cause those symptoms, though I am not positive.

hogstamogsta
11-27-05, 01:25 PM
no i tested the tps and it was fine :(

hogstamogsta
11-27-05, 01:33 PM
these are the codes that came back

PC0603 HISTORY
PC1599 HISTORY
PC1632 HISTORY
IP1552 HISTORY
IP2710 CURRENT
IP2711 HISTORY
IP2781 HISTORY
AC1340 HISTORY
RS0027 HISTORY

HELP?!

ewill3rd
11-27-05, 01:50 PM
I identified those in the other topic you started, at least some of them.

Sounds like crank sensors to me also.
If you knew where they were I would tell you to look at them and tell me if the top one was tan. If it is you need to replace them.
The new ones have a top one that is gray. Replace them both.
Also it looks like you have a theft deterrent problem, probably the wires breaking inside the steering column. That requires replacement of a lock cylinder and 2 new keys matched to the pellet to the old key.

hogstamogsta
11-27-05, 05:51 PM
ok i will look, is one of the crank sensors behind the harmonic balancer? and wouldnt it throw a code if that was the case?

eldorado1
11-27-05, 11:06 PM
ok i will look, is one of the crank sensors behind the harmonic balancer? and wouldnt it throw a code if that was the case?

No, they're near the oil filter.

Here's your code: "P1599 - Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected"

When one or more crank sensors is flakey, the computer thinks the engine just shut off for some reason...... so it stops everything... and then your engine really DOES shut off.

But, your "P1632 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Disable Signal Received"
Raises some flags with me... What happens if it's running and that happens? Is that possible? Does it do anything? Somebody with a OBDII manual look that code up, and see what the deal is... Your stalling might be due to a bad key or something..

hogstamogsta
11-28-05, 12:01 AM
yes because i do have a bad key i just havent got around to fixing that yet, but it only happens at idle when in gear, never anytime else