Page 2 - http://www.q45.org/gallery/d/219-1/phaeton2.jpg
Page 3 - http://www.q45.org/gallery/d/222-1/phaeton3.jpg
Page 4 - http://www.q45.org/gallery/d/225-1/phaeton4.jpg
Page 5 - http://www.q45.org/gallery/d/228-1/phaeton5.jpg

It looks bad.

mccombie_5
11-14-05, 09:00 PM
I can honestly say....

No such problems with mine. I have only owned it two months though.

I find the Sat Nav relatively simple, the seats are fantastic, and ive had no issues as the ones meentioned, my car is also optioned up to the equivelant of $140,000. No such issues........

The problems may not be visable, but so far, and 1800 miles later, its fine and ive not had an issue.

Mine is the 3.0 TDI

Playdrv4me
11-14-05, 09:03 PM
Seriously though... these are already cropping up on Autotrader with 20k miles in V8 form for 39k, by mid 2006 theyll be 35. Could this be the best used car buy in the industry? If I can turn my financial fortunes around and get the overseas job Ive been thinking about, a VW Phaeton may just be my next vehicle, its only competitor being either a 745Li or a 2003 Range Rover.

My only qualm is that VW did such a good job on the interior of the Touareg, the Phaeton only seems like a slightly more luxurious version of the fine Touareg interior, and the Touareg does more (has an offroad suspension only rivaled by the fine Range Rover), offers the same engine and costs 10k less similarly equipped (on the used market). Sad because the retails of both vehicles are 30,000.00 apart.

mccombie_5
11-14-05, 09:06 PM
Seriously though... these are already cropping up on Autotrader with 20k miles in V8 form for 39k, by mid 2006 theyll be 35. Could this be the best used car buy in the industry?
My only qualm is that VW did such a good job on the interior of the Touareg, the Phaeton only seems like a slightly more luxurious version of the fine Touareg interior, and the Touareg does more, offers the same engine and costs 10k less similarly equipped (on the used market). Sad because the retails of both vehicles are 30,000.00 apart.

Well, the interior of the Phaeton is a step above the Toureg, you wouldnt notice it at first glance, but honestly, when you have the options i do, the interior is SO much better. The seats do tricks....... The TV is fantastic quality..... Incrdible sound, and the engine, even for a diesel is SILENT. Its like no other caron the roads, it takes engineering to extremes. Everythig is fantastically made. It is SOLID.

OK fair enough, it has ALOT of options, but i still dont think it should be written up as badly as that.

I dont buy crap.

Well mos of the time, and i certainly dont spend 80k on crap.

Playdrv4me
11-14-05, 09:08 PM
Written up as badly as the way I described it, or the article? I never said it was crap, I just think the Touareg interior is spectacular for its price point, while the Phaeton interior is average for its price point. I personally like the A8 and Phaeton EXteriors about equally, but interior-wise, I think the Audi takes the cake (retracting Nav monitor, sound system, bias lighting and white LED door lights etc.) It is a moot point for me because the A8 is still thousands more than the Phaeton even on the used market.

mccombie_5
11-14-05, 09:12 PM
The article, they over slated it, it isnt as bad as they make out, i dont knwo whats wrong witht ieirs, but the DEALER has NOTHING to do with how the car performs, and they made it sound liek it did.

Playdrv4me
11-14-05, 09:36 PM
I agree, but the point they are trying to make is how foolish it was of VW in the United States to market a car like the Phaeton on an infrastructure of dealers that in all honesty are about as clueless and rude as alot of the Cadillac Dealers.

I can already imagine the way the service writer must joke with his buddies at a VW dealership every time someone drives up in a Phaeton "Oh here we go again". And with a 70-120k car the attitude needs to reflect the price.

Jesda
11-14-05, 10:28 PM
The article, they over slated it, it isnt as bad as they make out, i dont knwo whats wrong witht ieirs, but the DEALER has NOTHING to do with how the car performs, and they made it sound liek it did.

Youre right, but in the US, VW dealers are terribly incompetent to begin with (one of the reasons why VW consistently ranks near the bottom for quality). You give them a complicated luxury machine and the problems are exacerbated. Phaeton owners in the US have to endure a terrible ownership experience where nothing ever gets fixed, and VW North America remains disconcerned.

Caddy Man
11-14-05, 11:07 PM
I hear its navigation system is pretty bad, barely any street names listed. And this isnt just from the posted article, its from several other articles ive read about this car.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-15-05, 03:07 AM
One day people will realise that German engineering is not all it's crcked up to be.

The Phaeton is probably a fine car, the one in the article is probably not indicative of all of them. As mccombie says, his has been A1 so far.

Even if they are reliable and even if the dealers do care they will plummet in value and they will be an excellent used buy. Because it's a 70 grand Volkswagen.

At that price, sadly for VW, there's more to it than the competence of the car. I watched Top Gear a couple of night ago and they reviewed an Aston, Porsche and BMW, placing the Aston last. But my money would have gone on the Aston, because it's an Aston.

fast66
11-15-05, 03:19 AM
they are selling brand new phaetons in Kuwait for 12,000kd that is around $39K-$40K . This has been going on since the beginning of summer. now I knw why

fast66
11-15-05, 03:24 AM
very nice car I love the interior

Caddy Man
11-15-05, 03:48 AM
At that price, sadly for VW, there's more to it than the competence of the car. I watched Top Gear a couple of night ago and they reviewed an Aston, Porsche and BMW, placing the Aston last. But my money would have gone on the Aston, because it's an Aston.
i completely agree.

mccombie_5
11-15-05, 04:58 AM
VW in this country only sell them in prestige centres with Touregs.....

I agree, as a used buy they will be fantastic, some people might call me foolish for plumping up 80,000 in cash for this car. Why? Im not going to sell it for at least 10 years, by which time with will have depreciated as much as a Mercedes Benz of that age. It really is super engineered, every component of this car has thought behind it. Its silky smooth, as a fantastic engine, the best quality interior I've ever had, my Bentley wasn't this well put together.

Unfortunately the buying public are too badge focused to see the car behind it.

I get brilliant service from my VW Prestige Dealership.

Maybe the US dealer network is poor, but in this country (i am not sure if dealerships in the US are indipendantly franchised or owned by the car manufacturer) i would NOT include a rant about the service network in the review of the car

It makes it sound like the car is a complete abomination, when really, the idea behind it is, whoever wrote that article, has some issues with VW.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-15-05, 05:40 AM
If you're happy with it that's all that matters, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I wouldn't have coughed up 80K for a VW (not that I have 80K), but that's me, because at that price all cars are very good so I'd be looking for more than just competence, I'd be looking for prestige (because frankly you can get competence and luxury for half that), heritage, old school craftmanship and a brand that the masses are not driving.

Your Bentley may not have been as well put together, but it is a Bentley and I'd prefer that. But only if it's a proper Bentley made by actual craftsmen, not a reskinned VW. But that's me, whereas orthers would prefer to spend money on actual competence and the driving dynamics.

Jesda
11-15-05, 07:11 AM
As long as I'm an American, there's no farking way I'd buy anything branded as a Volkswagen.

VW North America lost a billion dollars this year, which is staggering considering its diminutive size. You can't blame an American journalist for possibly having something against VW, considering their abysmal track record in this continent. Volkswagen spent the last ten years churning out garbage for American buyers, all the while treating us like dirt. You get this feeling of arrogance from them, like we're expected to grovel at their feet for offering us any bit of their 'fine German engineering.'

Additionally, VWs here are preferred by sexually ambiguous urbanites and teenage girls. So even as a mainstream brand, they're still kind of out there.

In addition, all Edmunds, Car and Driver, and Automobile Magazine long-term reports include service reviews from a variety of dealers, as the cars get driven nationwide. It doesn't matter how good the car is if the darn thing can't be fixed.

Just when you thought GM was run by the biggest morons in the industry, VW comes along and steals their thunder.

mccombie_5
11-15-05, 12:37 PM
I am very happy with my car, and as far as i could tell, my 80k was well spent. For my money i wanted a good looking, smooth, luxurious car, to ferry cluients around in when they came to me. The Phaeton was the best and most discreet.

What impression would it give that i knew about design if i pulled up in a BMW 7 series?

My Bentley, which i bought new for cash in 1995, was the Turbo R. It was crafted from a lump of steel, a lump of wood, and a cow or two.

It was a great car, i loved it, i want another but the Phaeton doesn thave the problems that it did to live with...

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-15-05, 12:52 PM
If you pulled up in a BMW of any kind I'd class you as knowing nothing about cars and just buying the BMW cos that's what your mates told you to buy (after watching too many episodes of Top Gear).

Turn up in a Jag and you'd get respect from me.

Turn up in a VW Phaeton and, well, it would certainly be a conversation piece. But then, I seem to remember you saying you work in the design industry? And as a piece of industrial design it's some conversation piece.

mccombie_5
11-15-05, 01:12 PM
If you pulled up in a BMW of any kind I'd class you as knowing nothing about cars and just buying the BMW cos that's what your mates told you to buy (after watching too many episodes of Top Gear).

Turn up in a Jag and you'd get respect from me.

Turn up in a VW Phaeton and, well, it would certainly be a conversation piece. But then, I seem to remember you saying you work in the design industry? And as a piece of industrial design it's some conversation piece.

Exactly, I NEED to know about design, and i need to appear that way. The 99-05 Mercedes S Class is off the pace now, i will be popping into my Jaguar dealer next month to order a SUper V8 or an XJR, i havent decided yet.

Every single person who has seen or ridden in my VW has complimented me on my taste :p

It truly is a fantastic piece of design

gdwriter
11-15-05, 01:26 PM
What impression would it give that i knew about design if i pulled up in a BMW 7 series?

Ha! Well put. What if you pulled up in a Pontiac Aztek?

Jesda
11-15-05, 02:14 PM
The W12 version is going to be an -amazing- used bargain. If I could find a good German auto tech to maintain it, I'd be set.

Dealer issues aside, the Phaeton is freaking gorgeous, without a doubt. I always thought the Passat would be a stunning grand tourer if it were longer. Well, there it is. :)

mccombie_5
11-15-05, 03:29 PM
Man that Aztek, whoever designed that puts shame to the word "design"

The Phaeton is beautiful, Jesda, you can, obviously, appreciate subtelty, you bought a Q, a very subtley designed car..

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/phaetonsnow.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/102829_00mg.jpg

Playdrv4me
11-15-05, 03:32 PM
The W12 version is going to be an -amazing- used bargain. If I could find a good German auto tech to maintain it, I'd be set.

Dealer issues aside, the Phaeton is freaking gorgeous, without a doubt. I always thought the Passat would be a stunning grand tourer if it were longer. Well, there it is. :)

I think the 12 will be a great bargain too, BUT, all the rags seem to really prefer the V8 model anyway. I guess for the price to performance/economy ratio the 8 is probably still the better buy. I think you can outfit an 8 with everything the 12 has as well.

All this talk about Phaetons is suddenly really making me want one, even though Im not crazy about the interior, its such a terrific little bargain its hard to pass it up. I mean for the same money, LESS actually than a 2002 745Li with AVERAGE mileage, you can pick up a like new Phaeton 4.2 with low miles and plenty of warranty **AND** the 4 year 50k scheduled maintenance program as well.

mccombie_5
11-15-05, 03:43 PM
I think the 12 will be a great bargain too, BUT, all the rags seem to really prefer the V8 model anyway. I guess for the price to performance/economy ratio the 8 is probably still the better buy. I think you can outfit an 8 with everything the 12 has as well.
All this talk about Phaetons is suddenly really making me want one, even though Im not crazy about the interior, its such a terrific little bargain its hard to pass it up. I mean for the same money, LESS actually than a 2002 745Li with AVERAGE mileage, you can pick up a like new Phaeton 4.2 with low miles and plenty of warranty **AND** the 4 year 50k scheduled maintenance program as well.

My 3.0 6 cyl model is optioned up like a W12...

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-15-05, 04:11 PM
Passat with Mondeo C-Pillar and Golf wheels.

(I'm only kidding!)

To be fair it looks like a real solid car. I think the rear lights and boot let it down a bit, don't look as upmarket as the rest. But as a whole, there's nothing wrong with it, but then while you refine, refine and refine you do tend to end up losing character and end up with something that is bland, and (aside from the fact it's an 80K VW) is my problem with it.

The last pic of it looks classy though, mainly as it looks like it has a lot more road presence than the Passat due to the sheer size.

mccombie_5: What are you top 5 favourite design touches?

DBA-One
11-15-05, 06:00 PM
I don't think this car will prove to be VW's biggest mistake. I think that will be the Bugatti investment. The EB110 was at a time the fastest production car in the world and the company still folded. One person at Bugatti says they will never make money on the Veyron and another says they will. They haven't sold all the cars they plan to build, it makes the McLaren F1 look practical as well. Caring for a Veyron will be very hard. That's not even the point, it's VW's investment and the probability that they wont even break even on it. VW has been grabbing at too much in the past 5 years or so. They need to pick something and do it well, not try to be all things to all people.

Playdrv4me
11-15-05, 06:06 PM
Absolutely agree DBA-One, I think VW is trying WAAY to hard to enter market segments they never existed in before.

Still, they are having a really tremendous return on the Bentley purchase. The Continental GT are selling like hotcakes because of the tremendous combination of power, style and luxury for a 155k car. A Bentley of all things undercuts pretty much its entire competition on power and luxury.

mccombie_5
11-15-05, 06:15 PM
OK, my five favourite design touches.

The seats. They are the best designed car seats i have ever sat in.

I actually like the C pillar, its bold

LED front indicators, i think they set off the headlight tremendously.

The simplicity of the dashboard, there is nothing, apart from the instrument cluster above the wood trim.

The wood trim itself, it has a beautiful inlay on it.

The clock, sits in the dash beautifully.

Nothing innovative there......

Just old stuff engineered in a better way than anything else, there is more thought put into how the dashboard looks, than into some ENTIRE Kias and Hyundais..

DBA-One
11-15-05, 06:16 PM
I agree with the Bentley investment. The Continental GT is a bargain in a big way. Money spent at Bentley is a sound decision. I disagree with the styling direction of the new Jetta. That grill cheapens Audi's prestige. People who are in to cars know the difference between a VW and an Audi (even though they share a lot) but the lay person likely does not.

Why buy the more expensive Audi when the Passat looks close enough? Sharing parts is smart but keep it under the sheet metal. Brand management is important as well but I don't like trying to make two distinctive companies have similar looking cars regardless of the shared components.

Caddy Man
11-15-05, 06:38 PM
Absolutely agree DBA-One, I think VW is trying WAAY to hard to enter market segments they never existed in before.
Still, they are having a really tremendous return on the Bentley purchase. The Continental GT are selling like hotcakes because of the tremendous combination of power, style and luxury for a 155k car. A Bentley of all things undercuts pretty much its entire competition on power and luxury.
what do you mean tremendous return? Bentleys also lose thier value over time. No car is an investment unless it is a rare collectable. On a totally personal note, i think the Contintal GT is a great way to cheapen the Bentley name. One of the great things about a Bentley was its rarity, now im seeing quite a few Contintal GTs around.

mccombie_5
11-15-05, 07:07 PM
what do you mean tremendous return? Bentleys also lose thier value over time. No car is an investment unless it is a rare collectable. On a totally personal note, i think the Contintal GT is a great way to cheapen the Bentley name. One of the great things about a Bentley was its rarity, now im seeing quite a few Contintal GTs around.

I agree!

And i just thought id mention Caddy Man, 666 posts:lildevil:

The GT is causing more people who previously werent elite enough to buy a Bentley habvea Bentley, its just too cheap!

DBA-One
11-15-05, 07:26 PM

Not the investment someone "makes" when they buy a Bentley but VW's investment in Bently it's self.

Playdrv4me
11-15-05, 08:01 PM
Not the investment someone "makes" when they buy a Bentley but VW's investment in Bently it's self.

Correct. This is what I meant.

Also, Bentley needed a shot in the arm to keep from going completely under. I was just about to say the Continental GT actually does a GOOD job of increasing sales revenues and keeping Bentley alive, without cheapening the brand. 155,000.00 is still more than most of us coudl afford on a car for a good while.

The Bentley Flying Spur was also spun off this platform by the way.

DBA-One
11-15-05, 09:19 PM
I'd call Bentley's pricing more in line with the real world instead of cheapening the brand. 155k isn't cheap and it's in line with the higher end V12 powered Mercedes cars. Bentley's exotic engine adds to the value.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-16-05, 04:14 AM
I don't like what the Germans have done to Bentley.

I don't like the lower price point, it loses some of its exclusivity.
The fact that it's based on a VW platform, heaven help us.
And it has the wrong engine.

I remember when they switched to the BMW engine and sales slumped, they had to switch back to the old Bentley lump.

Now they're just using it as a badge, they just don't understand what Bentley is about.

It's sad.

Caddy Man
11-16-05, 04:35 AM

I remember when they switched to the BMW engine and sales slumped, they had to switch back to the old Bentley lump.

Now they're just using it as a badge, they just don't understand what Bentley is about.

It's sad.
very well said, not many people understand the essence of a Bentley, you cant just give it to the Germans, they wont do it right. The Bentley is an English car more than anyhting and yes even though the GT is still out of reach of most of the population, due to its lower price I am seeing more Bentleys than I ever have, and they are all GTs. People see it and go WOW so and so has a Bentley, and in my mind I'm thinking, please dont compare that thing to an Arnage or an Azure or the REAL Contintal.

70eldo
11-16-05, 11:00 AM
OK, my five favourite design touches.
The seats. They are the best designed car seats i have ever sat in.
I actually like the C pillar, its bold
LED front indicators, i think they set off the headlight tremendously.
The simplicity of the dashboard, there is nothing, apart from the instrument cluster above the wood trim.
The wood trim itself, it has a beautiful inlay on it.
The clock, sits in the dash beautifully.
Nothing innovative there......
Just old stuff engineered in a better way than anything else, there is more thought put into how the dashboard looks, than into some ENTIRE Kias and Hyundais..

I drove a 3.2 V6 for 10 days. It was fully loaded. I loved it!!!! I love the hide-away airvents. When in use the wood trim would graceously and s i l e n t l y flip up exposing the vents. The cup holders in the front and the back were vented by the AC. I loved the seat cooling. And the seats have a back massager in it!
All seats front and back were 14 to 16 way powered and it had 4 zone climate control. The rear seats also automatically reset when the door is openen. Including the head rests.
The rear viewing mirror moves along automatically when you adjust your driver seat.
The car had it's own phone. The phone was in the arm rest, but you could also use it hands free and through the controls on the steeringwheel.
The trunk opened and closed automatically, remotely but also by pressing the VW logo on the trunk lid.
It had automatic sun screen in the back along with automatically down flipping rear seat headrests.
The nav was indeed easy to use and I had no problems finding places. I guess the coverage is different from the US ROM/DVD. In fact, the driving directions were displayed both on the central full color screen as on the small screen behind the steering wheel.

Oh yeah, the car operated so silently! Very very quiet indeed! And I loved the grip of the 4-motion and the electromagnetic controled shocks (like the stabilitrac actually). And you could lower and higher the shocks from the control panel and adjust the stiffness of the ride to your own taste any moment. Also monitor the tire pressure.

I like the rear light clusters. The circles of LED's makes it look really sharp. Also the head lights look sharp. Better than the Audi IMO.

Yeah, that Phaeton is a very nice car. But people riding with me complained that they pitty it that it's still 'just' a VW...:yawn:

And about that article: you can make ANY car look bad (or good) through an article...:rolleyes:

Jesda
11-16-05, 11:05 AM
I say its the dealers, not an article, that make a new car look good or bad. Imagine how high Cadillac owner satisfaction would be if dealers could fix things right the first time, or at all.

DBA-One
11-16-05, 11:36 AM

It's sad.

I understand. This is why I've always hated the Porsche Boxter. I feel that car cheapens the Porsche name.

mccombie_5
11-16-05, 03:42 PM
70Eldo!

I found someone else who drove one, go me!

Mine is the3.0 TDI, and it is equally as smooth as the non diesel version, i have all of that, those vents are really a cool feature. My wife loves them.

Playdrv4me
11-16-05, 04:20 PM
To me, the VW interior is very nice and well thought out, but the Audi interior looks like a high end audiophile sound system in every aspect, not sure how to explain it, but it just LOOKS absolutely gorgeous...

http://i1.ebayimg.com/01/a/05/38/83/8b_4.JPG

mccombie_5
11-16-05, 07:43 PM
THe Phaeton interior isnt much different.

Mine has the beige leather though.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/Phaeton_interior_frontseats_lr.jpg

DBA-One
11-16-05, 08:30 PM
I like the hidden AC vents in the Phaeton, that looks like a nice place to be.

mccombie_5
11-16-05, 08:31 PM
I like the hidden AC vents in the Phaeton, that looks like a nice place to be.

It really is, i dont want to get out when i get to work on a morning....

Although its in the garage at the moment im using the Buick for work!

DBA-One
11-16-05, 09:48 PM
I'd rather be in that S600 mentioned in you list though. V12 Benz rules.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-17-05, 05:51 AM
I think the Phaeton interior is much nicer than the Audi.
The Audi one looks thrown together from an aesthetic point of view.

Playdrv4me
11-17-05, 06:32 AM
I think it just comes down to the person. The Audi interior is much more technological than the VW one, and I like the techno feel. The Audi interior very much reminds me of an old McIntosh Amp or something, where the VW interior more reminds me of victorian living room.

Neither is bad, just different strokes for different folks. Again, my view is skewed because the Touareg has a very similar interior layout to the Phaeton. And it is not downscale either, in fact the Touareg has a blue LED flashlight that pops out of the center console and lots of other little luxury touches you wouldnt expect in the 40-50k SUV.

fast66
11-17-05, 06:59 AM
I think it just comes down to the person. The Audi interior is much more technological than the VW one, and I like the techno feel. The Audi interior very much reminds me of an old McIntosh Amp or something, where the VW interior more reminds me of victorian living room.
Neither is bad, just different strokes for different folks. Again, my view is skewed because the Touareg has a very similar interior layout to the Phaeton. And it is not downscale either, in fact the Touareg has a blue LED flashlight that pops out of the center console and lots of other little luxury touches you wouldnt expect in the 40-50k SUV.

I hate the touareg! A friend of mine just bought one and it is so small from inside. Everytime I ride with him my knees knock against some huge round dial for climate or something. I hate everything VW except the really small polo and the Phaeton

Jesda
11-17-05, 09:15 AM
The Cayenne based on it isn't much better. I drove a Cayenne S for two weeks and thought it blew. Build quality was so-so for the price, and the ride was poor. Handling was flat but somehow not very secure (weight?). Air suspension was cool, and the sound system rocked.

Sandy
11-17-05, 09:15 AM
Two Points:-

1. In post # 14 above, you say that you are going to keep the car for 10 years. Just above, you are looking to get a Jaguar in the near future. Both cars are similiar in that they are 4-Door Luxury Sedans in the expensive catagory. Why would you need/want 2 such similiar cars?

2. For reasons that I really have a hard time understanding, I have always favored the under-dog. Maybe to be different ~ maybe to be unique ~ maybe to stand out ~ maybe to be an individual ~ maybe all of the above ! (Probably). When growing up in an upscle community during the 60s & 70s when the masses around us were all driving Cadillacs & Lincolns, we drove Imperials. (...and it's NOT "Chrysler Imperial" any more than it's "Ford Lincoln" OR G.M. Cadillac !!).
In high school when the hot cars to have were Mustangs, Camaros, GTOs 4.42. Gran Sport Buicks, and the like, I bought a Mercury Cyclone Spoiler, just to attract attention. E' One was like WTF is THAT :crowded: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So, that said,fast forward to today, I would NEVER buy/drive a Mercedes, a BMW, a Porsche, or such commonor cars. If I were to cash in my chips at the bank, I too would buy a Phaeton (no turbo sneezel,thank you), a V-8. If not the VW then an Audi A8L W-12 2+2 or a Jag Super 8. The "beauty" of the VW is that **IF** you step outside of the country club for friends and/or business associates, and want them NOT to be jealous of you and/or think that you are making too much $$$ or that perhaps, just perhaps, you are overcharging them......THEN when you are asked what you drive, or you arrive in their presence.......Hey,...it's only a Volkswagon!

It's like fancy watchs! E'one want a Mavado or a Rolex. Hello? Those in the know ~ know it's a Tag Haurer for the finest !

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-17-05, 10:03 AM
Rolex is for flash me-too people with no actual appreciation of what the brand stands for.

That's why I wear a Breitling.

70eldo
11-17-05, 10:49 AM
That 67-70 Cyclone looks really cool!

And I don't even wear a watch. I think it is pathetic to overly show off your success -> 'poser'. Just drive the car that suits you as well as wear a watch that you like and not what others think of it. I agree with Sandy not to be part of the grey mass...

DBA-One
11-17-05, 11:02 AM
Or Patek

mccombie_5
11-17-05, 01:22 PM
Sandy, im keeping the Phaeton, i use it to ferry my clients about in, generally use it for travelling to anf fro work, but its hardly sporty, i liek a sporty drive, and the Phaeton is certainly not that, with a diesel engine.

The Jaguar is something i see as a touring car. I plan to tour Eurpope next year with my wife, and that would do the job perfectly. Im looking at either the XJR or the Super V8, however it is more likely to be the XJR at the moment for the fact that i dont really need the longer wheelbase.

The Phaeton certainly isnt a car to have driving fun in. I wouldnt like to drive it to the country club (as if i attend at one of those places anyway LOL) i would rather take a Jaguar for the class.

By the time im finished using the Phaeton she will be worn in well and good. The only reason she isnt in use at the moment is so i can break in the LaCrosse.

mccombie_5
11-17-05, 01:27 PM
Also, as for my watch, I do own a rolex, but i seldom wear it, mainly because it is something to be mugged for, its a beautiful piece, if not slightly garish, but it works if im wearing a tux, which is usually the only time i wear it.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/16628_rubie.jpg

From day to day, i wear an old Ben Sherman thing, im looking for a new one though.

Something similar to this:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/images_large_GM0013.jpg

Kev
11-17-05, 01:36 PM
I'm a simple man with simple tastes. I wear a Citizen watch, drive a 16 year old Caddy and live in a modest tract home.

I think both interiors, the VW and Audi are nicely done. They are both attractive to my eye. I can see no shame in driving either.

DBA-One
11-17-05, 02:41 PM
I'll take my Rolex in platinum with diamond dial. I hate "yellow" gold. It is odd how this thread has turned. Now, having a nice car shows off your success but in bad taste! Why don't we all get government issued cars? That way, we would all be the same. Jealousy, not money is the root of all evil.

mccombie_5
11-17-05, 03:10 PM
I'll take my Rolex in platinum with diamond dial. I hate "yellow" gold. It is odd how this thread has turned. Now, having a nice car shows off your success but in bad taste! Why don't we all get government issued cars? That way, we would all be the same. Jealousy, not money is the root of all evil.

Government issued cars?

Like, say a Trabant? Or a Lada?

I wonder where we last saw those, communist Russia maybe?

DBA-One
11-17-05, 03:54 PM
I'm sure things like that roll all over Eastern Europe and Russia.

90Brougham350
11-17-05, 04:38 PM
I haven't piped in on this one yet. McCombie, I'm with you. I think you have the right to drive anything you want to drive, because you've earned it. The Phaeton is a fine vehicle with unique features that stands out because it canibalizes the Audi market so perfectly. Poor planning but a fine car on VW's part. It's the individual's choice to drive whatever they chose. Can anyone here admit the Phaeton ITSELF is not a fine car? I'm not talking about dealer service or past history. DBA, you're close; Pride, not envy, is the root of all sin.:thumbsup:

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-17-05, 06:31 PM
The best car in the world is the one you love.
If you love it, it doesn't matter what anyone says.

I own an 88 IROC and my 2000 STS.
If I had to sell one for financial reasons the STS would be the one to go even though it is better in almost every way than my IROC. My IROC has more character and I love it for it.

I wear a Breitling Aerospace Professional in Titanium with gold accents.
An all gold one would get me mugged in London.

http://www.blitzwatches.co.uk/images/BRE101.jpg

DBA-One
11-17-05, 06:46 PM
Is your IROC a right hooker?

Kev
11-17-05, 06:48 PM
The best car in the world is the one you love.
If you love it, it doesn't matter what anyone says.That may be one of the smartest things I've read here all day! :highfive:

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-17-05, 06:54 PM
No it's a normal LHD one.

Not sure who the first owner in the UK was, but I know it was built in California in October 88 and delivered to Suncoast Chevrolet in Florida in December 88 and was never registered in the USA and was first registered in the UK in March 1989.

It may have been brought over by someone at a US airbase, or it may have been sold here by an american car dealer or it may have been brough tover by a private individual who went to the US and bought it.
I have no idea.

LHD american cars are pretty rare over here, but the most common car is the 3rd Generation F-Body.

mccombie_5
11-17-05, 07:00 PM
Im not sure i love my Phaeton, i love it as a car, like i love my ESV, but i dont love it liek i loved my 540 yet, effectively thats what she replaces, of the next months and years i will learnt o love it.

90Brougham350, that is true, it is a fine car, people have judgements on it straight aaway "dealers service" but that isnt important, i dont spend three hours a day in my dealership.

I bought it to be individual.

How many Phaetons are there on the roads?

Ive seen ONE and it belongs to the dealer.

I like to be different. Thats why i have four Cadillacs a Buick and a VW Phaeton.

DBA-One
11-17-05, 09:12 PM
I'm sure it kind of sucks owning an American car in the U.K. By that, I mean to say that parts that are dirt cheap here become far too expensive by the time VAT is added and import duties, etc. A part that cost 20.00US here probably cost 100.00US by the time it is in the UK buyer's hands!

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-18-05, 03:06 AM
It's not too bad.

If I spend $200 at Summit Racing, they charge me a $25 international handling fee.
So that's $225.
Let's say it costs $75 to get 5 day shipping.
So that's $300
That's around £170 at the moment.
Add 10% Import Duty to that and then 17.5% VAT to the whole thing and I end up paying £200.

So $=£ tends to be the case.

So in other words it costs me 70% more to run the car here than it does over there.

mccombie_5
11-18-05, 04:42 AM
Wll i have an importer friend, he gets me the parts i need, at about the same price, I get servicing through my Vauxhall Dealer though.

Otherwise take it to an American car centre and they can deal with it.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-18-05, 04:44 AM
I do my own maintenance, I don't trust the american car centres, in fact, I don't trust car garages full stop.

mccombie_5
11-18-05, 07:57 AM
I do my own maintenance, I don't trust the american car centres, in fact, I don't trust car garages full stop.

I put so much business past them they won't dupe me...

Sevice due on the S600 this month :suspense: :bomb:

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-18-05, 07:58 AM
You should be getting trade discount, lol!!!

Or a reward card or something...

mccombie_5
11-18-05, 08:26 AM
You should be getting trade discount, lol!!!

Or a reward card or something...

I get slightly cheaper rates, mainly because I'm keeping the damn place open!

Im going to see a Mercedes Benz dealer soon. im not sure how much it will cost to service my panzowagon LOL.