: cold-air induction: real or hype?

wamanning
11-14-05, 07:32 PM
i'm intrigued by these cold air induction systems, but not sold on them.

do they really deliver instant performance gains? is it noticeable? are we talking 1-2hp, or 5-10hp?

are they as effective @ filtration as the OEM air filter/induction system @ keeping dirt/grime out of the engine?

ewill3rd
11-14-05, 09:21 PM
"cold air" induction by design adds power. Cooler air means more molecules which means more power, the same addage as the old days where there was no substitute for cubic inches. That is also why guys used to drop ice on their intake manifolds and why people install intercoolers.
Most factory designs use air from the engine compartment which is warmer than the ambient air usually.
The only real drawback to "cold air" is that it's usually taken from someplace that is subject to other problem causing things.... like water.
If you relocate the air intake to a place that is suceptible to water intrusion you could experience what we in the biz call "hydro-lock" which by the way usually bends internal engine components.... and that is a best case scenario.

As for horsepower gains, you'd have to read all the propoganda and actually do before and after dyno tests to verify an actual gain.
Some cold air kits can also affect Mass Air Flow readings if not positioned properly. I have heard of some types of GM cars setting MAF codes because the air filter was installed backwards...

Warez
11-14-05, 11:15 PM
Which specific cold air kit are you looking at?

Though I don't beleive you'll see a 10 hp gain on our puny 3L V6's

wamanning
11-15-05, 12:22 PM
Which specific cold air kit are you looking at?

Though I don't beleive you'll see a 10 hp gain on our puny 3L V6's

if you have a particular recommendation as being well-made or easy to install or offering better than average water-intrusion-protection, then i'm all ears!

walter

cat
11-15-05, 08:54 PM
:duck: sorry i perfer a k&n drop in filter just for a few reasons:

1) i think its a better cold air because it take air from out side the engine bay

2) it does not have that bog noise

3) air clean stay cleaner

Cat-a-Tonic
11-19-05, 09:08 PM
If you really look at how the air gets to the plenum, it makes ya dizzy! I've devised a alternate for the Catera but it's too cold out now to install. The idea is to let the water and debris travell straight though a customized ram air box, 'cause it wants to go in a straight line--- so let it. Plan to mount it in front of the xmission cooler coil. (put a small 'rad' type xmission fluid cooler in mounted to the right of the ram) THe ram intake will build up some pressure when moving down the highway. Then, take off the air from the passanger side into the filter box with 3" diameter of flex hose. The filter box has a drain hole in it that should take care of most of the water that may get sucked in. A good K&N filter will prevent water from getting through just like the screen in a gas can prevents water from going through the filler tube.
Any thoughts? :hmm:
Jerry O

AllenPacla
11-20-05, 01:14 AM
The Catera already has a cold-air intake built in. There was a thread in this forum that discussed this topic and putting an aftermarket one seems to be a waste of time and money.

R-Caddy
11-20-05, 10:24 PM
Nuh uhhh... My K&N sounds really good :thumbsup: I have people asking me about it :yup:

newbee
11-20-05, 11:48 PM
what kind of K&N? system or just filter?

Cat-a-Tonic
11-27-05, 10:49 PM
Took a '04 CTS Sport for a ride the other day. Parked it and lifted the hood and guess what? It uses the same '3 point ram air" system that's in the Catera. Hummmm! Oh ya. the CTS goes like stink!! Traction control isn't much better than the Cat though. LOL. Maybe I'll pick one up a used one as a daily driver after I retire. I know!~! some say there's a sucker born every minute. Then,,,, I'm an all day lollipop. :eyebrow:
Still I bought the Catera to play with and that's why I like checkin' out this site. Some great advice and guidance out there. Some sites i've visited makes me wonder how inflated one's ego can get before there's blood and guts all over the computer/monitor.
Whew! Now that I got that out of my system I'll return to my usuall nausiating self!! ( I hope you all think I'm kidding.)

CateraKidd
12-04-05, 12:10 PM
i have installed dual ram air pickups on my 98 and it made a considerable diff in pickup and performance just need patience and common sense but it will work water is heavier than air

Cat-a-Tonic
12-04-05, 10:21 PM
Show me! Show me!!!

JoeCool
12-14-05, 11:25 AM
you should check out my hood scoop under the pictures... i pulled out the airbox and replaced it with a reusable K&N type air filter. i went to my local performance part store and found one that fit in that particular place best. i believe it is an Arrid. i mounted it to the stock tubing that was there. with the hood scoop and in sport mode, you can really tell the air rushing in around 90 mph. if you do this, don't forget about the exhaust system. if you put more air in, you need to let it out as well. i removed my mufflers, resinators and tailpipes and ran straight pipe back to a custom tip, eliminating a lot of back pressure at low speeds. like i said, with the hood scoop and the air filter, the exhaust helps at high speeds (i.e. over 80 mph).:thumbsup:

Cat-a-Tonic
12-14-05, 12:31 PM
Hey JoeCool, could you email me the photos? < jerryo@bmts.com > I'd greatly appreciate it. Oh ya! CateraKidd! Could you do the same. Pleeease?

Merry Christmas!

Resilient
03-28-06, 11:26 PM
The Catera already has a cold-air intake built in. Old thread I know... but came across this

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=81033

Even better, the whole How 2 section is great (was looking at valve cover gasket changes)...

Katshot
03-29-06, 09:51 AM
Virtually every vehicle that's been built for several years has utilized a type of CAI from the OEM. They understand the value of taking the coolest air possible for combustion. Obviously, some are better than others and this where the aftermarket steps in. In many cases, a "quality" aftermarket CAI will net small gains in performance but it MUST be sealed from taking in hot underhood air as well or better than the OEM system you're replacing or you may not realize any gains at all. Matter of fact it's theoretically possible to actually end up worse then the OEM system.

heavycat
03-29-06, 12:18 PM
I just installed a K&N intake on my 2000 Cat. I'm just wondering if it is really neccesary to do any exhaust work now. Is their really going to be a real prob with back pressure. If i could i would like the exaust to remain stock, im not to big on having a loud exhaust. The purr of the intake is all i really want. Any info will help

Katshot
03-29-06, 01:46 PM
There's no problem with leaving the exhaust stock. The only reason you should change it (other than to make it louder) is to gain a little power, but leaving it stock won't hurt anything. The K&N intake is just a little less restrictive than the stock one. Installing one doesn't mean you need to do any other modifications.

gixxer_751
03-29-06, 05:23 PM
aftermarket air intakes, mufflers all help on the highend of the RPM range, only way you'll notice an actual difference is if you put the car/truck on a dino to prove the 1-8 increase in h/p on V6. V8 react better to these aftermarket mods for the obvious reason, its a bigger engine. computer mod's are the most effective cuz they modify the compressoin ratio in vehicles to perform better.

edit:air/fuel ratio..my bad

Katshot
03-29-06, 08:18 PM
aftermarket air intakes, mufflers all help on the highend of the RPM range, only way you'll notice an actual difference is if you put the car/truck on a dino to prove the 1-8 increase in h/p on V6. V8 react better to these aftermarket mods for the obvious reason, its a bigger engine. computer mod's are the most effective cuz they modify the compressoin ratio in vehicles to perform better.

Damn, you can modify the compression ratio through computer mods? That's news to me.

mytmous
03-30-06, 09:54 AM
Here's what I've done so far, 1 I removed the restrictor tube from the airbox, it improved the throttle response, Now I'm working on the exhaust. I also have a Romanian ECU coming to me, for the catera, they use them as cabs over there, who knew. He picked it up cheap and is bringing it back to me, I just hope it works. I'll let ya know.

Also after lots of reading, I still have yet to find a good replacement tranny but I'm still looking, the 4L30E in these things stink, 250TQ is about all they will hold.

I'm not on here much but I do read every other day tho.

Good luck to everyone else.