: Do You Miss Hood Ornaments?

KOBO
11-12-05, 06:46 AM
Am I the only one who regrets the demise of the good old fashioned classy hood ornament?

As far back as I can remember my father having Cadillacs I loved seeing that crest way down the end of the hood as we cruised down the highways. Today, with my '89 Seville I still cast my eyes towards it and smile.

Especially when you have so many models of cars looking like their cousins, it is nice to have that something a little different.

Yeah, the newer Caddies are sporty looking and maybe it wouldnt fit...... but when I see one approaching me.... I still think that they are missing something.

K

RobertCTS
11-12-05, 10:28 AM
I thought some were beautiful appointments to the hood but as we know also very lethal.:yup:

slk230mb
11-12-05, 10:37 AM
I like hood ornaments, but having seen them added to the Art & Science theme of the new Cadillac's they look hideous. I don't know why someone would add one now. My 2000 Deville had one and I liked it a lot.

DopeStar 156
11-12-05, 11:05 AM
Oh my god yes! I think they're still cool looking even on the new cars. Mercedes still uses them, why not Caddy? They're slanted back to they add to that aerodynamic look. Yeah, bring 'em back.

90Brougham350
11-12-05, 11:31 AM
I love my hoody! I was heartbroken when I busted her off, going with out one for a few days was difficult to say the least. I hope the ULS has a big ol' honkin' hoody when she makes her debut, it's just missing something without one.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-05, 11:58 AM
Yes I miss hood ornaments. I dont think they would look good on the new "art and science" Caddys. In my mind, a true Cadillac should have a hood ornament. It's nice to look down that l--o--n--g hood and see something standing up guiding you down the road.

SpeedyArizona
11-12-05, 01:32 PM
I loved my '90 Eldorado with the gorgeous Cadillac hood ornament. They have always stood for power and prestige, but for some reason many car companies have abandoned them in favor of crests on the grille.

I say it should at least be an option on a Cadillac!

Jesda
11-12-05, 01:38 PM
Depends on the car. I love them on Jags, older Cadillacs, and MBs. On A&S Caddies it looks completely out of place. On BMWs, the grille is too small and undecorative to be complemented by one.

fast66
11-12-05, 01:53 PM
Had one on my land cruiser, I didnt like it at all. Having a toyota sign as a hood ornament wasnt all too great, I ended up shaving it off after a while. Jag had a nice ornament on the hood. I wouldnt mind bringing them back for caddys, so I guess I do miss them

fleetwood76
11-12-05, 01:59 PM
Hello.
It is one of the highlights with my caddy to see the hood ornament guide the way and reflecting in the ,hopefully, newly washed and shining hood. and as dopestar wrote, they would also be able to work with the modern look bodys but i think that cadillac should scrap the new badge and go back to the old jewel like crest and wreath.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-05, 02:09 PM
Is that pic of your '87 Brougham?

gdwriter
11-12-05, 02:38 PM
I agree with the others here. A hood ornament would look silly on a CTS or STS, but it might look OK on a DTS if the badge is removed from the grille.

I really like having the hood ornament on my '91 DeVille. It usually brings a smile to my face to see that proud wreath and crest at the end of my hood. And mine has the alarm so if anybody tampers with it, the trumpet horn goes off. My friend's 8-year-old loved playing with it (See movie (http://www.gdwriter.com/cruella/David_with_Cruella.mov)).

As for other cars, I still like the three-pointed star on the Mercedes, and Jaguar's "bonnet leaper" (isn't that the correct term, McCombie?) is absolutely gorgeous.

And on a related note, what's up with these supersized badges? It started with the current generation Escapade, er, Escalade. The wreath and crest is the size of a hubcap. Now everthing from Hondas to Buicks have these gigantic badges that look all out of proportion. Have the cars become so lookalike that the only way to tell them apart is by making the badge so big even Mr. Magoo could see it?

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-12-05, 02:46 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that someone would steal it or break it where I live, I would fit one to my 2000 Seville STS.

That pic of one while driving through the trees looks great!

fleetwood76
11-12-05, 02:51 PM
Is that pic of your '87 Brougham?

Hello
No thats a pic from the Fleetwood Brougham -76

/jolle.

mccombie_5
11-12-05, 02:51 PM
I agree with the others here. A hood ornament would look silly on a CTS or STS, but it might look OK on a DTS if the badge is removed from the grille.

I really like having the hood ornament on my '91 DeVille. It usually brings a smile to my face to see that proud wreath and crest at the end of my hood. And mine has the alarm so if anybody tampers with it, the trumpet horn goes off. My friend's 8-year-old loved playing with it (See movie (http://www.gdwriter.com/cruella/David_with_Cruella.mov)).

As for other cars, I still like the three-pointed star on the Mercedes, and Jaguar's "bonnet leaper" (isn't that the correct term, McCombie?) is absolutely gorgeous.

And on a related note, what's up with these supersized badges? It started with the current generation Escapade, er, Escalade. The wreath and crest is the size of a hubcap. Now everthing from Hondas to Buicks have these gigantic badges that look all out of proportion. Have the cars become so lookalike that the only way to tell them apart is by making the badge so big even Mr. Magoo could see it?

Yes the leaper, is sadly gone from European Jaguars because of pedestrian safety laws (when i get mine im thinking of having one fitted "back street" so to speak. The only reson Mercedes has theirs is because it collapses. it might look good on on the DTS.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-05, 02:55 PM
Hello
No thats a pic from the Fleetwood Brougham -76

/jolle.

Man that hood must be 6 feet long, I drove a '90 Brougham, which has a shorter hood than your '76 and that seemed really long in comparison to my '92 Deville.

fleetwood76
11-12-05, 03:27 PM
Man that hood must be 6 feet long, I drove a '90 Brougham, which has a shorter hood than your '76 and that seemed really long in comparison to my '92 Deville.

Hello.
I haven't measureat the hood but it's probably about 6 feet. But i know it is heavy like a small Opel :D . I see that you want a lincoln mark IV, i wanted such a car or a mid 70:s caddy to.
It was to be a caddy mostly because i am a GM man and have said "No Ford On My Lawn" to, to many friends, so it would be to fun for my friends if i would go and get a ford.
I like the design of the lincoln continental mark IV. It's a long hood to look over there to.
/ jolle.

Night Wolf
11-12-05, 06:39 PM
ya know... at first I was pissed new cars didn't have them... but it depends on the car, really.

Like, a '59 Caddy.... I just coudln't picture it with a hood ornament, though 2 fins on the fenders are supposed to take that place, I think it would look funny to me.

the '79 DeVille NEEDS it as well as the 80's broughams.

my '93 DeVille needs it, I have seen a couple DeVille Touring Sedans ('93) and no hood ornament and the wreath and crest is jambed int the grille, ugly.

My '89 Oldsmobile does NOT have a hood ornament, but the '88 did, IMO it looked ugly and out of place on that car, so in this case, the Olds is a go without it.

However...

in the mid 90's with the Eldorado ETC/base or the Seville SLS/STS...

both those cars look BAD (IMO) with hood ornaments, as well as chrome grilles, the first thing I would look for is the Touring model... the body color grille, no hood ornament and less chrome looks so much better, IMO....

I believe that led to where we are today..... and a hood ornament on the A&S theme would not go well at all.

It depends on the car really, but thats how I feel.

SpeedyArizona
11-12-05, 07:14 PM
How can we forget the Rolls Royce hood ornament? I mean this angel is what I think of as what a hood ornament should be. On the new Phantom, I understand that it can lower to underneath the hood and be covered up by a sliding RR symbol. I guess it's to keep theives from stealing it like some do with the 'Benz ornaments.

mccombie_5
11-12-05, 07:24 PM
How can we forget the Rolls Royce hood ornament? I mean this angel is what I think of as what a hood ornament should be. On the new Phantom, I understand that it can lower to underneath the hood and be covered up by a sliding RR symbol. I guess it's to keep theives from stealing it like some do with the 'Benz ornaments.

Also, if the car is travelling at any speed, i believe it slides down because it could do serious damage if you hit a pedestrian (like that slab fronted menace wouldnt crush you anyway:p)

Bentley used to have one too.....

KOBO
11-12-05, 07:25 PM
all good points.

Here are some pretty ones..

http://northstargallery.com/cars/cargalflyingladies.htm

Adam
11-12-05, 07:29 PM
they would look good maybe on the DTS... everything else (new) hell no.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-05, 09:04 PM
Hello.
I like the design of the lincoln continental mark IV. It's a long hood to look over there to.
/ jolle.

I would have to say that the Mark IV is my favorite '70s car. It looks so good from the era. Such a long, low design. Its very baroque in appearance, not modern at all. Like the Caddys, It's very ornamental and gaudy. Just by looking at it, you can tell it was designed in a very different era. This car reminds me of cigar smoke filled jazz bars, where you can hear Lou Reed's song "Take a Walk On The Wild Side" playing in the backround, where the cognac runs like water. This car oozes elegance in a very decadent way. Its a very cool car, in a sick and obese way. I sat in one back in June, and that hood must be 6 and a half feet long. It's so long and flat, and it's cool too because the fenders are raised over the hood so it makes it very easy to park.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-05, 09:07 PM
Here's a '76 Mark IV
http://images.webkrafters.com/trinity/21700/76linc21768-A.JPG

Kev
11-12-05, 10:24 PM
Hood ornaments are cool!

http://www.allpar.com/images/chrysler/flying-lady.jpg

DopeStar 156
11-12-05, 10:47 PM
On the new models, 2006 I would hood ornament the following models....
DTS
STS
CTS (Premium package)

The following I would not....
All Escalades
Base CTS's
XLR
All V's

I'm on the fence with the SRX.... It's not a rugged looking truck like the Escalade is, so I might hood it. Unsure about that.....

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-13-05, 03:26 AM
The Rolls Royce ones are available in solid silver which is cool.

Frost
11-21-05, 09:54 AM
I live and die by my Hood Ornament - note the reflections off the hood of that baby!!!

Elvis
11-21-05, 11:31 AM
I don't miss "stand-up" hood ornaments not being on new vehicles. But I do think ornate badges would be appropriate. I think they should go larger than they are, maybe even as big as 4" to 6", but recessed into the hood or front cap.

Cadillac needs to bring back the little duckies.

CadillacSTS42005
11-21-05, 11:52 AM
im all for the hoodys. my dad when be bought his 93 ETC (long retired due to a blown rod) he had them custome install his so called "bomb sight" on his car or else he refused to take sale. he drove my ETC for the 1st time he said "jay id trade you cars (he has a 1998 STS) but your missing a bomb sight." i wouldnt trade anyways i like my sporty 2 door over his 4 door.

90Brougham350
11-21-05, 12:21 PM
Cadillac needs to bring back the little duckies.

The duckies are classic, but with the Art and Science theme, it just wouldn't work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the bland new logo, but the old style just wouldn't go. Maybe bring back the ducks for the ULS!

CadillacSTS42005
11-21-05, 12:55 PM
the duckies ruled i remember the old catera commercials with the ducky jettin around driving it.

Sandy
11-21-05, 01:14 PM
For 2006, the traditional Cadillac Wreath & Crest is available on the DTS,
the CTS, the STS and the SRX for $130.00 from the factory, but NOT on dealer inventory cars, just on SOLD customer orders. I will go fetch the order code for you. My Town Car has the traditional Lincoln Star (2003), and my 1993 Sixty Special has the wreath & crest. I would never entertain even the thought of driving a Caddy w/out the hood emblem. That would be akin to drinking coffee thru a straw! :helpless:

UPDATE -- The $130.00 fee has been waved. It's now a NO CHARGE option. The Sales Code is " T1E" (Tee One E)

Elvis
11-21-05, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't recommend drinking a bloody mary through a straw, either. I tried that yesterday and got a mouth full of pepper. :vomit:

JC316
11-21-05, 01:59 PM
What yall are talking about isn't even a hood ornament. I have a 51 Cadillac fleetwood in the garage that has the solid metal "flying lady" sticking off the front of the hood like a spear. THAT is what I call a hood ornament, not this newer little thing on a spring that flops about when I take it to a car wash.

Elvis
11-21-05, 02:07 PM
The man has a point.

Literally.

90Brougham350
11-21-05, 02:10 PM
Hahahaha, can't disagree there! I'd love to see a flying lady on a Brougham!

Playdrv4me
11-21-05, 02:11 PM
A hood ornament on a CTS or STS would be an abomination.... gross.

A 51 Fleetwood withOUT a hood ornament would be an abomination. Everything in its place.