: Lookin like pasadena ....

Stoneage_Caddy
11-11-05, 01:46 AM
Sick of florida and sick of these jobs im getting i decided to heed the advice of my dad and kev ......

Dad saying "nothings got you tied down , your still young go to whatever school you want".....Kevs "aquire the target"....

No more Journalisim , No more Business Management , No more Mechanicial Engineering ....Im going back to what i started this whole thing for back in 1998 (joing the airforce for college money) , Automotive Design .....I follwed J mays , John Caffero , Wayne Cherry , Ed Welburn ....They were the guys i wanted to be as a kid ....Many detentions , failing grades , scoulding from the parents ...becuse all i did was doodle cars in my notebooks .....and i still find myself doing it while im on the phone when im at work ....

this school :
http://www.artcenter.edu/
is where i want to go ....Pasendena California ....

Ive sent away for all the info ....Im planning on headed there in the fall of 2006 ....

I hate to leave my family ....But ive got a feeling this is what i have been doing all wrong , and why nothing has worked out for me in years ....I gave up what i was supposed to do to attempt to stay close to home and away from snow ....But i think my ideas on distance and cold are misgugided ....Alaska was another world

Night Wolf
11-11-05, 01:55 AM
NOOOOOOOOO..... I can't loose my Caddy buddy!

Really though, that is great! doing what you have always wanted to do, I give you lots of credit, I think it'll be a neat experience, and it seems like this will end up working out for ya :)

Stoneage_Caddy
11-11-05, 01:56 AM
i think it will .....and i LOVED cali when i lived there in 1999

powerglide
11-11-05, 02:07 AM
I am headed to Pasadena on Sunday too!

I just got contracted out to JPL to work on the NuSTAR
http://www.nustar.caltech.edu/about.html

C'mon over Rover!!

Stoneage_Caddy
11-11-05, 02:11 AM
I am headed to Pasadena on Sunday too!

I just got contracted out to JPL to work on the NuSTAR
http://www.nustar.caltech.edu/about.html

C'mon over Rover!!
what all can you tell me about lviing in that area ...is it like LA or what ? how much is rent on a decent apartment ? gallon of premium ? gallon of milk ?

Ralph
11-11-05, 02:23 AM
You got to follow your heart buddy. Whatever you attempt I know that you will be successful and remain strong.

If I hear correctly, taxes and price of fuel is high in Cali, I'm sure Megan can give you an idea, and more info etc.

Think you'll stay at the dealership for the duration, or will you still try to get back with the VA?

powerglide
11-11-05, 02:47 AM
what all can you tell me about lviing in that area ...is it like LA or what ? how much is rent on a decent apartment ? gallon of premium ? gallon of milk ?

I haven't lived there yet so I can't be certain, but its LA.
You can live cheaply no worries, it'll be great to have you in the neighborhood!

I tried some cost of living calculators to see what 30K$/year in Tampa equals in Pasadena. (there are many sites and the numbers vary significantly) One site said (as long as you are a renter) its almost the same, other sites state you need 45K$/year to maintain same lifestyle as 30k$/year in Tampa.

Here's some price comparos (this is for Tampa vs Long Beach though) ** Good news milk is chaper in LA! (I paid about 2.86 for a gal of premium today in San Diego at ARCO, so its probably a bit cheaper in LA)

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....

The equivalent income is $47,213.19. It will take a 57.38% increase to maintain your standard of living.

Product Tampa FL Los Angeles-Long Beach CA Difference
HOME PRICE $243,142.86 $726,000.00 $482,857.14
PAYMENT+ INTEREST $1,045.86 $3,219.32 $2,173.46
APT. RENT $1,004.40 $1,500.63 $496.23
ALL ELECTRICAL $135.65 $0.00 $135.65
TOTAL ENERGY $135.65 $165.46 $29.81
LIPITOR $115.76 $121.68 $5.93
DOCTOR VISIT $81.83 $96.30 $14.47
OPTOMETRIST $62.33 $86.40 $24.07
DENTIST VISIT $59.67 $82.00 $22.33
WASHER REPAIR $45.67 $47.70 $2.03
BEAUTY SALON $37.40 $40.90 $3.50
VET. SERVICES $31.80 $34.30 $2.50
MENS SHIRT $29.20 $24.57 $4.63
WOMENS SLACKS $28.50 $27.09 $1.41
PHONE $21.16 $27.39 $6.23
BOYS JEAN $20.49 $17.19 $3.30
NEWSPAPER $12.52 $17.71 $5.19
HAIR CUT $11.43 $10.70 $0.73
PIZZA $9.47 $10.99 $1.53
T-BONE STEAK $8.67 $8.54 $0.12
DRY CLEANING $8.56 $9.48 $0.92
BUS FARE $8.54 $9.70 $1.16
MOVIE $8.00 $9.75 $1.75
BEER $7.69 $7.99 $0.30
WINE $5.73 $5.09 $0.64
IBUPROFEN $5.67 $7.76 $2.09
CRISCO $3.39 $3.95 $0.56
POTATOES $3.39 $2.99 $0.40
CASCADE $3.38 $4.73 $1.35
BOWLING $3.08 $4.28 $1.19
PARMESAN CHEESE $3.08 $4.54 $1.46
SAUSAGE $3.02 $4.21 $1.18
GROUND BEEF $2.92 $3.08 $0.16
2-PC CHICKEN $2.90 $2.88 $0.02
ORANGE JUICE $2.73 $4.06 $1.33
HALF GAL. MILK $2.58 $2.34 $0.25
COFFEE $2.55 $3.85 $1.30
FROZEN MEAL $2.55 $3.38 $0.84
CEREAL $2.50 $3.19 $0.69
TENNIS BALLS $2.48 $2.72 $0.24
HAMBURGER SANDWICH $2.17 $2.42 $0.25
GASOLINE $1.82 $2.01 $0.19
POTATO CHIPS $1.79 $2.99 $1.20
BREAD $1.73 $1.30 $0.43
TOOTHPASTE $1.66 $2.78 $1.12
KLEENEX $1.64 $1.38 $0.25
PEACHES $1.63 $2.24 $0.61
SUGAR $1.40 $2.09 $0.70
LETTUCE $1.24 $1.28 $0.04
COKE $1.09 $1.37 $0.28
SHAMPOO $1.07 $1.66 $0.59
FROZEN CORN $0.86 $1.54 $0.69
DOZ. EGGS $0.80 $2.11 $1.31
FRIED CHICKEN $0.79 $1.44 $0.66
SWEET PEAS $0.70 $1.09 $0.39
TUNA $0.68 $0.82 $0.14
MARGARINE $0.64 $1.09 $0.45
BANANAS $0.55 $0.74 $0.19
PART ELECTRICAL $0.00 $109.63 $109.63
OTHER ENERGY $0.00 $55.83 $55.83
Mortgage (%) 5.59% 5.87% -0.28

illumina
11-11-05, 03:05 AM
Sick of florida and sick of these jobs im getting i decided to heed the advice of my dad and kev ......
Dad saying "nothings got you tied down , your still young go to whatever school you want".....Kevs "aquire the target"....
No more Journalisim , No more Business Management , No more Mechanicial Engineering ....Im going back to what i started this whole thing for back in 1998 (joing the airforce for college money) , Automotive Design .....I follwed J mays , John Caffero , Wayne Cherry , Ed Welburn ....They were the guys i wanted to be as a kid ....Many detentions , failing grades , scoulding from the parents ...becuse all i did was doodle cars in my notebooks .....and i still find myself doing it while im on the phone when im at work ....
this school :
http://www.artcenter.edu/
is where i want to go ....Pasendena California ....
Ive sent away for all the info ....Im planning on headed there in the fall of 2006 ....
I hate to leave my family ....But ive got a feeling this is what i have been doing all wrong , and why nothing has worked out for me in years ....I gave up what i was supposed to do to attempt to stay close to home and away from snow ....But i think my ideas on distance and cold are misgugided ....Alaska was another world

Good for you Mike! When I was your age 3 years ago, I was considering broadcast journalism, philosophy, and even history. All of those things are dear to my heart, but for me to attain my true ambitions, I have decided that I will have to take a far different path than the aforementioned fields of study. But here's the interesting thing: I write my own philosophies as well as study other philosophies (so I don't plagiarize someone else's ideas), I am usually a strong voice in a crowd, so I don't need to learn anymore of that from broadcasting, and history is something I already know for the most part. I should also mention that my current field of study is number one in my heart, to avoid any following contradictions some may strive to see.

My true calling is...One day ye shall learn :p But it'll be a good one!

Anyways, I have always agreed that someone needs to follow their passions for what they want to do with their lives. There is always that need of following reason and logic to guide their lives, but in the end, you'll always enjoy the job you wanted to do the most over the job that will make you the most money if you understand what I am saying. Let's say that would be the most rewarding.

Follow your heart my brother, and the rest shall fall into place.

Elvis
11-11-05, 10:38 AM
Do it. At your age you still have a chance to make big changes in your life without having to pay a lot of consequences.

Remember the jobs in California probably pay a little better than they do in Florida. A friend of mine has a son who couldn't get into a good college, so he decided to just pick up and move to L.A. after about a year bouncing around here.

Today (maybe six years later) he's an assistant to the producer of the Simpsons. His name rolls by on the credits. It rolls by REALLY FAST, but it's up there.

DeVillish
11-11-05, 10:57 AM
You cant fool me stoney! You just wana move closer the LitteB! Nah really though if it makes you happy then iam all for it, i know how much you hate your job now. If you dont leave before september 06 we'll have to get together for one last meeting. Good luck buddy!

HotRodSaint
11-11-05, 11:43 AM
If you are artisitic, you have a vision and you really want to make the sacrifices to be a car designer, then don't worry how much it costs to live in LA.

Once you graduate, in no time quick you will be able to afford a craftsman home in Pasadena, and you will soon learn that is no small feat. Pasadena is one very desirable housing market.

But as a designer, be prepared to move where ever the work might be. You might have to take a job outside the US to start out and to get back to the US, you might have to live in the snowbelt.

Or you could get lucky and spend your whole career in Southern California!!

Pasadena does have areas where you can rent an affordable apartment, and Pasadena is a major nightlife destination. Kevin Costner even owns(owned) a restraunt there called Twin Palms. Over rated and high priced, but dates like that kind of thing.

I have a good friend who used to teach automotive design there and he does design for an asian company now, so if you have any questions about the school or the field, PM me.

And hey I might even hook you up with some of my Hot Wheels or Jada toys contacts and you could design toy car's the rest of your life!!

Or I could introduce you to Chip Foose... :canttalk:

Anyways, when you get here we'll break bread. :cheers:

Stoneage_Caddy
11-14-05, 08:29 PM
So there i am sitting at work .....Service advisor up and quits ......Job freed up and it was mine .....had to throw it away , becuse i decided to go to cali ...in order to get the job he said i couldnt leave for cali and i couldnt go to school anymore.....55k-100k a year job ...thrown away ......part of me feels stupid ...

Kev
11-14-05, 08:44 PM
So there i am sitting at work .....Service advisor up and quits ......Job freed up and it was mine .....had to throw it away , becuse i decided to go to cali ...in order to get the job he said i couldnt leave for cali and i couldnt go to school anymore.....55k-100k a year job ...thrown away ......part of me feels stupid ..."It aint nuthin but a thang!" Don't let it distract you from your goal. You know that if you took that postion You would get burned eventually. How long have you been there now and how have they treated you? Have they honored thier word to you? What has changed in the last few days?
Don't be fooled by cheap electronic counter measures!
Just a few thoughts to consider.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-14-05, 08:48 PM
"It aint nuthin but a thang!" Don't let it distract you from your goal. You know that if you took that postion You would get burned eventually. How long have you been there now and how have they treated you? Have they honored thier word to you? What has changed in the last few days?
Don't be fooled by cheap electronic counter measures!
Just a few thoughts to consider.
thats what the folks said ....by the time i got home i was really wondering if i did the right thing ....

Gotta remeber as far as days at work where i am today is in the top 5 ....I got to drive a CTSV for 50 miles , on the freeway ....and entrance ramp , i didnt "beat" it but i did lossen the reins just enough to make me smile again...i want one soooooooo bad ...

in other words , good days distract me .....that and the feeling ive had about everything over the past few day ....ive just felt great , keep thinking "im going to cali"

addison_ii
11-14-05, 09:00 PM
Congrats Stoney. I'm in the searching phase as well. My current job has a good work environment but the pay is average or below average. The company has no employee loyalty at all, and the outlook as far as making more money is bleak. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. you are following your own path and in the end you will be rewarded greatly for it.

Boombotz
11-14-05, 09:09 PM
I'm sad... very,very sad:crying2: !!! I can't believe you would leave like that. No, really I am only kidding well not about the sad part, but you need to do what is best for you. You will be successful in whatever you decide to do as long as in the end you follow through.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-14-05, 09:15 PM
yup ....i just know im not gonna make it here .....its to the point that its rediculous ....jobs here dont pay shit ...cant get ahead ....since im going no where i got nothing to loose ....this is what ive always wanted to do , and perhaps this is the lords way of tellin me im supposed to do it .....i aint a big time religous guy , but thats the only way i can explain everything thats happend since i got back here in 03 ....(edit: since the car crash)

and hey , Amy wont have to figure out how to say no to me anymore...LOL ....(couldnt resist)

pjohnesq
11-14-05, 09:17 PM

Ain't that the truth....Just want to share a little insight....About 3:00 a.m. one morning, wifey woke me up (though she was waking me up for some other sh*t) talking 'bout she wanted to move to Cali. Half asleep, I said sure Babe...She wanted to get her doctorate from USC....I was already an in house attorney, sweet ass 8:30 to 4:30 p.m. job....Next thing I know, I'm driving cross country from Brooklyn, heading to LA.....Nothing had my wife tied down and I had to support her in her goals....Now 5 years later, LA has been the best thing career wise that has happened to me...wife is really happy 'cause if I hated it, I guess there would be some feelings of guilt...Plus she's doing what she wants to do and being an artist, you know how y'all get passionate about stuff...Point being, don't live your life and then turn around and say "what if"....Just do it....Now as far as Pasadena, nice place to visit great place to live. It gets hot in the summer, non humidity, just that dry heat...As far as rent and stuff, it will be cheaper than LA...They have quite a few cool spots to hang out, but with LA just south on the 110 freeway, you are downtown LA in 20 minutes...(takes me 10 the way I drive my CTS around those curves)....Singles scene is hot (so I've heard anyway)....lot of silicone in these parts also...lol.. I beg my single friends to tell me about their week end every Monday :devil: ...lol I have found the people in LA and surrounding areas to be very friendly...feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about life in Southern Cali..I know I'm not too frequent over here in the lounge and spend most of my time hangin' with the CTS crew..but a forum member is a forum member and if any thing I may say or write to you can help you with adjusting/moving to Pasadena, just holla at your boy!!

Stoneage_Caddy
11-14-05, 09:23 PM
you can count on it ....my only xpernce was living on a military base in oxnard for 6 months ....never the less to say i dont know much .....

Boombotz
11-14-05, 09:25 PM
and hey , Amy wont have to figure out how to say no to me anymore...LOL ....(couldnt resist)

No comment!!!!!!!:thepan: :duck:

Stoneage_Caddy
11-14-05, 09:31 PM
I know ....i got the hint the other day ....

Not to sound arrogant ....but i damn well know i woulda been the best thing that ever happend to her .....

her loss isnt going to be my problem ...ive decided those days are over too ...

Playdrv4me
11-14-05, 10:47 PM
You sound like the girl I am living with Stoney. She is so sad about having her dreams sidetracked all the time over guys, or a family situation she needs to step in for or this or that. Her dream is to be a marine biologist or a Navy diver, so she got back on the horse and decided to go BACK to the Navy recruiter a few days ago. Ill be sad to see her go but shes tired of floating around the country without a home and seeing her dreams fade away, and shes only 18!

The point is, you really need to follow your dream, especially if you have nothing to lose.

I will be sad to see you go if you do... I still wanted to meet you. Just not in the Hyundai :p

Adam
11-14-05, 10:57 PM
well brother, i wish you luck on that. dont forget to stop in and visit with me for a while if you go!

Stoneage_Caddy
11-14-05, 11:28 PM
yup there will be a "stoney tour" 06 ....check your local bars for the presence of .....me .....

well set up times and places later on as this thing gets fully planned ....and hopefully some of the motels ill stay at across this land will have internet acess for my libretto

Boombotz
11-15-05, 07:21 AM
I know ....i got the hint the other day ....

Not to sound arrogant ....but i damn well know i woulda been the best thing that ever happend to her .....

her loss isnt going to be my problem ...ive decided those days are over too ...

I don't disagree at all!