: Do you carry a firearm in your car?

heavymetals
11-10-05, 07:22 PM
I ask that because the two punks in the SUV that almost hit me when they cut me off and were hanging out the window flipping me off are very lucky.:want:

Was a time I would have used it.

I know, the thought of spending the rest of my life in jail is not appealing and that is why I don't carry one in my car unless I am going to the range, and even then it is out of reach.

BUT SOMETIMES!!!!!!!

Excuse the rant...........

I am better now.:alchi:

1MEANV
11-10-05, 07:30 PM
yeah my wife

stkshkr
11-10-05, 08:04 PM
yes

Mat347
11-10-05, 08:07 PM
I just started due to all of the New Orleans "refugees" hanging around here in Houston. People all around the Astrodome area started getting robbed. There were even a few murders recently. I don't plan on using it, but you never know!

crowan
11-10-05, 08:27 PM
My Kimber .45 goes wherever I go. For reasons of personal and family protection, its better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

But, if you find that you can't drive away from road rage situations without reaching for it, leave the gun at home. It will ultimately have you doing time for doing something very stupid.

CR

Adam
11-10-05, 08:31 PM
yes i do. but really, why waste two perfectly good bullets on two peices of shit?

Florian
11-10-05, 08:39 PM
Colt .45 ACP always ready for action (concealed carry permit) but never used.

F

Loadtoad
11-10-05, 09:00 PM
Firearms in Italy = bad

*sigh*
I sure do miss Florida laws :cool2:

11-10-05, 09:02 PM
there was a rather raucous thread on this topic last year sometime; it started out with somebody asking for good places in a CTS to store his Walther PPK or some such thing, and quickly degenerated into a survivalist thread. A reader might have gotten the impression that US CTS and CTS-V owners were rootin tootin cowboys.

As I recall, our Canadian members were rather horrified........(and frankly it was not anywhere near an automobile related thread).

I like lowlows reply; maybe he's not that bad even though he keeps making us LOOK AT THAT FREAKIN' WHEEL.

:alchi:

V-Max
11-10-05, 09:04 PM
You should have pepper spray handy and if you do go off the handle and use the spray at least it will not be like discharging a firearm at someone. If you feel the need to use a gun please take some courses like Lethal Force Institute. A person training you that acts as court expert cannot be too far off in his training. :)

Norm

DILLIGAF
11-10-05, 09:06 PM
41 yrs old,have carried a hand gun in car since 18yrs old.Never have pointed it at a human.Although I do believe I might be the only one in here that has shot a coyote out of his V window.Legal in KS BTW

BowenCT
11-10-05, 09:07 PM
I do believe I might be the only one in here that has shot a coyote out of his V window.

And the point behind that was..........?

crowan
11-10-05, 09:10 PM
there was a rather raucous thread on this topic last year sometime; it started out with somebody asking for good places in a CTS to store his Walther PPK or some such thing, and quickly degenerated into a survivalist thread. A reader might have gotten the impression that US CTS and CTS-V owners were rootin tootin cowboys.

As I recall, our Canadian members were rather horrified........(and frankly it was not anywhere near an automobile related thread).

I like lowlows reply; maybe he's not that bad even though he keeps making us LOOK AT THAT FREAKIN' WHEEL.

:alchi:

I remember that thread.:histeric: It degenerated even further, from a survivalist thread into a US v Canada flame fest. Could we be headed for a repeat?:histeric:

CR

heavymetals
11-10-05, 09:19 PM
I don't want it to degenerate to a flame contest.

I was just asking.

I do carry this BIG OPEN END WRENCH that will knock somebody into next week, but I have realized that being able to take a breath and just laugh at the idiots is a sign of maturity.:thumbsup:

Besides, there were two of them!:histeric:

HDMLNIUM
11-10-05, 09:25 PM
oops...

heavymetals
11-10-05, 09:28 PM
I have the same RUGAR!:worship:

HDMLNIUM
11-10-05, 09:34 PM
oopps...

HDMLNIUM
11-10-05, 09:37 PM
I have the same RUGAR!
I have put a lot of rounds through that at the indoor range over the last several winters.. lol You have to love a .22 doesn't cost much to shoot..

Bill

ewill3rd
11-10-05, 09:40 PM
I don't carry any weapons in my car.
Of course I don't have a cool Cadillac, I just work on them.
I'd rather not have one in my car because I am afraid if my temper was flaring up enough I might use it. The real problem with that is no matter how many times I get cut off, and no matter how badly, my place in traffic is not worth taking someone's life, or even shooting them to injure them just to "teach them a lesson".
I don't drive places where I need to worry about having a gun for "protection" either.

I am not a gun hater, I respect your right to "keep and bear arms" but if you bring your car to my shop to get it serviced, please remove your gun from wherever it is. I don't want it in there with me.

I do own some guns so don't take my statement wrong.

heavymetals
11-10-05, 09:46 PM
I don't carry a gun in the car but Mr. Club helped me the one time I thought I would have to use it.:thumbsup:

HDMLNIUM
11-10-05, 09:49 PM
oopps again....

BowenCT
11-10-05, 09:52 PM
I love this forum, and very much enjoy the contribution of EVERY member, but man do I HATE threads like this. That's all for me, carry on.

MLV
11-10-05, 11:27 PM
Don't leave home without it. The COPs can't be everywhere, so be responsible for yourself. Training and maturity required.

crowan
11-10-05, 11:33 PM
I don't drive places where I need to worry about having a gun for "protection" either.

One of the things about "trouble" is that you never know when or where you are going to run into it.

Many years ago as a member of an FBI SWAT team, I "suited-up" in the Lindsay Cadillac showroom as we staged in preparation of a take down of some bad boys who had taken hostages during a botched robbery at the Burke & Herbert Bank across the street. For several hours one Saturday morning, Lindsay was the submachine gun capital of Northern Virginia.:devil:

So, you never know....

CR

crowan
11-10-05, 11:42 PM
Disregard double post.

V-Max
11-11-05, 12:59 AM
CR is my hero! :)

Even Chuck Mallett carried when he was telling his story of driving a customer's V in S. Africa during our facility tour.

Norm

ewill3rd
11-11-05, 07:53 AM
Hey Crowan, did you tell that story because that is where I work?.... LOL

And just to get your opinion, when you are in a situation like that, as a professional, do you want a gun toting civilian behind you with a gun?
I'd rather be running the other way instead of shooting you in the back by accident.

RobertCTS
11-11-05, 08:14 AM
I have put a lot of rounds through that at the indoor range over the last several winters.. lol You have to love a .22 doesn't cost much to shoot..

Bill

22 is fine for target practice but it won't take down a man(killer) unless you hit him in the head. I have two 9mm pistols, a Beretta and a Smith & Wesson. Normally they are not in my car. I have a concealed weapon permit filled out but haven't turned it in. I'm a member of the NRA and it's amazing the number of homes that are broken into while the owners are at home. Very often they are elderly.

crowan
11-11-05, 09:03 AM
Hey Crowan, did you tell that story because that is where I work?.... LOL

And just to get your opinion, when you are in a situation like that, as a professional, do you want a gun toting civilian behind you with a gun?
I'd rather be running the other way instead of shooting you in the back by accident.

I thought you would get a kick out of the story since you work there.:) There probably aren't but a few people at the dealership that go back that far.

I am a strong believer that citizens should have the right, and ability to defend themselves. However, rights carry responsibilities and everyone who intends to own or carry a firearm should know when, where, and how to use it. Usually, as you said, the right tactic is to get as far away from the trouble as you can.

Next time I'm in for service I'll introduce myself.:highfive:

CR

Joey'sVee
11-11-05, 09:53 AM
No gun in the car here....but I gotta say around here you don't need one. Anyways...if I needed it I guess I woulod carry one along...

CRZY747
11-11-05, 10:20 AM
Hmmm live in a big city like Houston, Texas everyone just about carries now, and it is legal to have in your car without a permit.

I am going to get my CC lic one day,

zonie77
11-11-05, 11:06 AM
I agree with Crowan.
My $.02...Anyone who thinks about carrying should take a Concealed Carry class, not get a permit if you don't want it, take the class. They aren't very expensive and are 8-16 hours depending on the state. You get a rundown of the laws and your responsibilities. It should be mandatory for all gun owners (but I don't want it to be mandatory by law). There are times you might be justified using/showing a gun, but if you aren's sure what they are you can get yourself in trouble fast.

For everyone who does have/carry a gun. Consider taking a pistol class. You get some great practice/ techniques that you cannot get at the range.

This forum is for all the non-caddy stuff so I think this is ON topic.

RobertCTS
11-11-05, 11:15 AM
I agree with Crowan.
My $.02...Anyone who thinks about carrying should take a Concealed Carry class, not get a permit if you don't want it, take the class. They aren't very expensive and are 8-16 hours depending on the state. You get a rundown of the laws and your responsibilities. It should be mandatory for all gun owners (but I don't want it to be mandatory by law). There are times you might be justified using/showing a gun, but if you aren's sure what they are you can get yourself in trouble fast.

For everyone who does have/carry a gun. Consider taking a pistol class. You get some great practice/ techniques that you cannot get at the range.

This forum is for all the non-caddy stuff so I think this is ON topic.

I agree Zonie. A lot of people are accidently killed each year by accidently discharging a firearm. The safety has to become second nature. Immediately after use reset the safety. It's a safe device if cared for safely.
In someways it's a lot like your car which can be a lethal machine.

doorknob
11-11-05, 11:43 AM
Took a couple of concealed carry and defensive firearms courses with my wife. I wanted her to be comfortable with a hand gun and able to use one if she ever needed to defend herself. She now has a CCW permit now and I make sure she has a Glock handy in a quick-open gun safe at home.

I'm an ex-sniper and have been a reserve PO for some time and carried a BUG in the lockable conslole of my C5. Unfortunately, my new CTS is lacking adequate lockable storage space so I am looking for a solution. There are plenty of vehicle mounts for holsters (Fobus has a good model) but I really want a place to lock up my BUG.

ShadowLvr400
11-11-05, 11:49 AM
I usually have a knife and an asp in my car or house. Heck, in my bedroom, an asp and a pistol, tv room has a 10 inch knife, kitchen is loaded with blades..
I haven't gotten around to getting my permit and a pistol for the car yet, plus I need to build a concealed, easy access spot for it.

Texan V
11-11-05, 12:20 PM
I got my CHL mainly so that I could carry in my vehicle without having to worry about getting in trouble with "the man". I keep my Kimber .45 within arms reach always. Houston may not be the roughest city to live in but its a far cry from Mayberry.

:gungrin:

Spyder
11-11-05, 01:38 PM
Always. I've recently felt naked without it, because one of my windows in my truck fell off the track and for a couple of days I couldn't keep it in there, because I couldn't lock the truck up. I agree with ALL statements about taking a safety course and a shooting course and all of the training, but once you've done that and are comfortable with it, carry away! I've got a Sig 226, a Ruger MK II and a S&W 686 that I have endorsed on my CCW. The Sig is my standard carry gun when I'm wearing clothes that will allow it to be easiliy concealed, the MkII is the truck gun, because its the most accurate of the three. It's great for plinking too, as I oftentimes find myself on the way to the mountains or to the middle of nowhere and i don't want to have to stop off at home to grab it. I also often keep an M1 carbine or a Mini 30 in the toolbox, heavily locked, of course, just because. Like I said, I'm often on the road and like to take side trips to far away places, and its just nice to have. As to the comment about "why did you shoot a coyote out the window" , I'm guessing the person who did that lives on or near a ranch of some sort. I know that around here, and up at my buddies ranch in Oregon, every coyote you see is shot on site as they are a huge nuisance. They kill cattle, sheep, dogs, cats, deer, and have even taken down horses and mules. Coyotes are nothing but a nuisance when there's hundreds of them on a five thousand acre ranch, and shooting the ones you see does no damage to their numbers.
I've never pulled any of my guns in anger or in defense, though I came close once not long ago. A guy on a street bike didn't see me or didn't seem to care much that I was there, I had my blinker on to move one lane to the right, he was two lanes over, and when I was about halfway into the lane I was going to, he decided he wanted my spot. Without signaling and when i was already nearly done with my lane change, he jumped over into my lane and I had to swerve to miss him. He probably thought I was trying to hit him or something, but he flipped me off and pulled a pistol out and pointed it at me, at 80 mph on the freeway. I hit the brakes and he took off, situation solved. That wouldn't have been worth my drawing, because that would have only led to shots being fired...It took me a half a second to step on the brake pedal and for him to speed away, and the situation was easily avoided.

DILLIGAF
11-11-05, 06:31 PM
Always. I've recently felt naked without it, because one of my windows in my truck fell off the track and for a couple of days I couldn't keep it in there, because I couldn't lock the truck up. I agree with ALL statements about taking a safety course and a shooting course and all of the training, but once you've done that and are comfortable with it, carry away! I've got a Sig 226, a Ruger MK II and a S&W 686 that I have endorsed on my CCW. The Sig is my standard carry gun when I'm wearing clothes that will allow it to be easiliy concealed, the MkII is the truck gun, because its the most accurate of the three. It's great for plinking too, as I oftentimes find myself on the way to the mountains or to the middle of nowhere and i don't want to have to stop off at home to grab it. I also often keep an M1 carbine or a Mini 30 in the toolbox, heavily locked, of course, just because. Like I said, I'm often on the road and like to take side trips to far away places, and its just nice to have. As to the comment about "why did you shoot a coyote out the window" , I'm guessing the person who did that lives on or near a ranch of some sort. I know that around here, and up at my buddies ranch in Oregon, every coyote you see is shot on site as they are a huge nuisance. They kill cattle, sheep, dogs, cats, deer, and have even taken down horses and mules. Coyotes are nothing but a nuisance when there's hundreds of them on a five thousand acre ranch, and shooting the ones you see does no damage to their numbers.
I've never pulled any of my guns in anger or in defense, though I came close once not long ago. A guy on a street bike didn't see me or didn't seem to care much that I was there, I had my blinker on to move one lane to the right, he was two lanes over, and when I was about halfway into the lane I was going to, he decided he wanted my spot. Without signaling and when i was already nearly done with my lane change, he jumped over into my lane and I had to swerve to miss him. He probably thought I was trying to hit him or something, but he flipped me off and pulled a pistol out and pointed it at me, at 80 mph on the freeway. I hit the brakes and he took off, situation solved. That wouldn't have been worth my drawing, because that would have only led to shots being fired...It took me a half a second to step on the brake pedal and for him to speed away, and the situation was easily avoided.BINGO

blackonblackonblack
11-11-05, 06:31 PM
I had a gun pointed at me about a year ago driving my 911. I was driving pretty aggressively around 10 pm in Newport Beach. A guy in probably a 91' vette starts yelling at me at a signal for cutting him off. As the light was about to turn green he slowly pulls up the gun he had been holding on his passanger seat. He then accelated as though we were racing. I got his plate #, then turned around and called it in. He was charged with a concealed weapon and I did not press charges.

Spyder
11-11-05, 06:59 PM
yea, its not worth messing with people that are going to threaten you...just leave, pride means nothing in a situation like that, although there are so few guys out there that agree with me. I'd rather walk away and have the guy think I'm a weeny(woulda used a different word, but that one is slightly more PC) than deal with bullets flying...only as a last resort, but I do always have one of 'em with me.

zonie77
11-11-05, 07:04 PM
It should always be the last resort. It's easier to slow down, make a turn, whatever, to avoid an incident. There are the occassional times you cannot avoid a problem though.

BadCad
11-11-05, 09:45 PM
we have drive-by shootings here in this land of make believe - last thing we need is a running gun battle 'tween two or more cars on the freeways in moving traffic. ignore the *ssholes and keep your kool :cookoo:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-05, 02:34 AM
I could carry a gun in my car (I have the firearms endorsement on my licence) But I choose not too because I'll never use it. But I'm considering carrying a baseball bat in my trunk for self defence if anything goes wrong.

RobertCTS
11-12-05, 05:13 AM
I could carry a gun in my car (I have the firearms endorsement on my licence) But I choose not too because I'll never use it. But I'm considering carrying a baseball bat in my trunk for self defence if anything goes wrong.

Think You'll have time to make it to the trunk? Maybe a pipe under the seat?

Krashed989
11-12-05, 05:22 AM
In my car, I sometimes carry a .68 caliber...

...paintball gun.... :sneaky:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-05, 12:55 PM
Think You'll have time to make it to the trunk? Maybe a pipe under the seat?

Good Idea

Rolex
11-12-05, 03:18 PM
Don't leave home without it. The COPs can't be everywhere, so be responsible for yourself. Training and maturity required.

I posted stats in an older thread on how much more often people with concealed weapon licenses lawfully use their firearms to stop crimes than police. CWL holders outnumber the police. And whether or not people like the idea of their state having concealed carry laws, they benefit from it because those states have lower violent crime rates. And those states with CWLs consistently beat the national decline in violent crime rates.

I carry a handgun in my Escalade and on my person....most of the time. It's worth mentioning that I do have a concealed weapon license, and have attended several gun and handgun safety courses. Not to mention the fact that I have been shooting since age six.
TOLERANCE and training are probably the two most important things for concealed carry. I am more tolerant of jerk-wad drivers on the road, and tough guys who would seek to start a fight. For those who believe they would get angry enough to shoot at someone who cuts them off on the road, I don't believe you have any buisness even owning a firearm. JMHO.

And carrying a pipe, wrench, or bat in your vehicle with the intent of one day using it as a weapon is stupid. That will get you arrested for ADW quick, fast and in a big hurry. And if you make the mistake of confronting an off duty cop or CCW holder it may get you shot.

zonie77
11-13-05, 02:23 AM
Badcad...It's against the law there and you guys have the most shootings! What's up with that????????????????? :eek:

Rolex...you are correct. As I said before, learn the laws and your responsibilities. CCW holders are an extremely law abiding bunch.:highfive:

VinnyT
11-13-05, 10:20 AM
I carry a .45 myself. I also have a CCW and take it with me in the car all the time. It's not that I think I need it, but it is there in case I do. Carrying takes a lot of self-discipline, restraint and common sense. Here in Va, It is WAY too easy to obtain a CCW, but I don't make the rules.:helpless: V.