: Console or not?

Elvis
03-06-03, 10:13 AM
This is probably stupid, but I've been studying Sevilles and DeVilles closely for the last few months. I'm expecting to make a purchase in the fall or next winter.

I started off liking the Seville, and then my tastes shifted to the DeVille DTS. Everything I saw had a console, which seems to be the standard for all cars these days--bucket seats, console/armrest, and the shifter in the middle. Every car I've owned since 1986 has had this configuration.

And then I sat in a standard DeVille at the car show in Memphis. No console, just a 60/40 bench-style seat with a flip-down armrest in the middle. The shifter was on the steering column, just like in the good old days.

It just seemed more comfortable to me. There was more legroom, and I felt like I could spread out more. I think I'd sacrifice some of the extra luxury features of the DTS so that I could have the extra space that a console takes up.

What's your preference?

Elvis
03-06-03, 10:14 AM
One more thing--I like the "stand-up" Cadillac hood ornaments like the good old days. The DTS, DHS, and Seville do not have them.

What's up with that?

Brett
03-06-03, 10:34 AM
i like the console myself...but you could go with the DHS, it has most of the features of the DTS except 275 hp vs. 300...there are even some options on the DHS that the DTS doesnt have...plus you get front bench seating

BeelzeBob
03-06-03, 02:43 PM
Yea, the DHS is probably the way for you to go. Me? I love, love, LOVE consoles! :p Especially when they smoothly swarm down at you.. I don't like having that empty space in the middle. It makes it feel like a car instead of a nice warm homely kinda thing. I'm not making any sense. Am I...

Anyway! I never thought about the fact that you have more leg-room without the console there. But, I don't mind sacrificing it for the look of the console that I like.. And, I never do that much stretching of my legs while driving. It just never occured to me.. Most of my cars have had consoles.. Most of your have not. Right?

Oh, and I truely hate having the shifter on the steering column. Again, I'm very used to having the shifter in the middle being I've driven sports car most of my life..

Regarding the hood ornaments.. Again, it's probably got to do with what you've had most of the time. I'd rather see the ornament in the middle of the grill..

Elvis
03-06-03, 03:58 PM
Let's see, of all my cars, only a few have NOT had consoles:

'64 Ranchero -- NO
'81 Cutlass -- NO
'81 Coupe DeVille -- NO
'83 Mustang conv-- yes
'85 Delta 88 -- NO
'86 Cougar -- yes
'88 Mustang conv-- yes
'87 Legend -- yes
'90 Legend -- yes
'97 3.5 RL -- yes
'00 Prelude -- yes

I guess I'm sick of consoles. There's not that much space to store anything worthwhile (except a gun) and that can only get me in trouble.

By the way, out of that list, the best car was the '90 Acura Legend, and the worst was the '88 Mustang Convertible.

elwesso
03-06-03, 04:39 PM
I like the consoles, also. I have always liked floor shifters better, why i dont know. Although, in the deville it is a different story. In my fleetwood, it still feels right with the bench seat (mainly because the seat sinks down a little) and the center console. There have been other cars that are not like this.

jadcock
03-10-03, 10:08 AM
I like the consoles also. The shifter gives me something to grab on to and tap to the music on. :) I agree about the hood ornaments. One of the reasons I like my SLS is because of the hood ornament. Completely subjective. Some like 'em, some don't.

Maximln
03-10-03, 05:17 PM
Elvis,

I know exactly what you mean. My last car without a console was a 90 Deville and it was probably the most comfortable traveling/driving car that I've ever owned. When I went to upgrade, I knew I wanted the 93 STS that I got because of the power of the Northstar and I liked the sporty/aggressive look of the car. What I didn't like was that big, bulky console that robbed me of so much leg room (I have long legs). I guess you have to sacrifice some things to gain others. If you're looking for a comfortable traveling/driving car, I would go with the Deville or DHS (if you can live without the stand-up wreath and crest). If you want the more sporty vehicle, go with the DTS.

Max

Elvis
03-10-03, 06:17 PM
Finally! Someone understands me!

:wave:

Night Wolf
03-16-03, 01:20 AM
I personally like colum shifters alittle bettr then floor shifters. AFA the consol goes, I dunno, my mothers '89 Brougham dosn't have one while my fathers '99 Grand Prix GTP does, I guess if I had to choose I would go with the consol (considering it is setup nice) AFA the hood ornaments go, I just really dislike the Caddys without them, the stand up ornament represents class and luxury, while the emblem on the grill is like sporty/everything else

Dead Sled
03-17-03, 07:16 PM
Hood orniment ? that my front sight post :D

kcnewell
03-17-03, 07:20 PM
I like the Bomb site on the hood!

elwesso
03-17-03, 08:22 PM
I like the hood ornament, but I like the darker grille on the STS. Put a STS grille on a SLS and take of the grille ornament and itd be perfect!