: Was this wrong? Merging etiquette.

turbojimmy
11-09-05, 08:00 PM
I've been wondering about this all day. Maybe I was being a d*ck, but I dunno.

I'm in the left of 2 lanes, the right lane ends about 500 feet up. There's no one beside me, no one behind me but a Honda. Usually the merge is a clusterf*ck, but today traffic is light. I'm about 2 car lengths behind the guy in front of me, also in the left lane. We're cruising along at about 5 MPH over the limit. As the right lane is about to end, the Honda behind me makes a break for it. She wants to run up and cut in front of me just before the merge. WTF? Everyone was playing nice, and she busts out for that extra car length. I nailed the throttle and closed the gap between the car in front of me. Now keep in mind there was no one behind me, no one beside me. The merge would've been a non-event for both of us.

We get to the merge and she makes like she wants to hit me. I'm thinking "knock yourself out honey, the Buick could use new paint anyway". She gets closer and closer to me as the curb gets closer to her right side. Finally, just before impact she gave up and cut behind me where I felt she belonged. Naturally there was the honking of the horn and the flipping of the bird. I didn't care, I was in front and with the dark tint it would have been pointless to reciprocate.

Normally I'm not so territorial, but this move had me PO'd for some reason.

Should I lay off the caffiene? Or was I right to let this person know that I disapproved of her behavior?

Jim

mccombie_5
11-09-05, 08:04 PM
Not wrong, just a case of both paries believing they were right.

It happens alot with me. I always win, im usually in the bigger car.

Dont worry about it Jim

malcolm
11-09-05, 08:06 PM
You did the right thing. I am a pretty passive driver but under the circumstances you describe, I would have done the same thing. You had a right to hold your position.

urbanski
11-09-05, 08:10 PM
AHAH no i do the exact same thing every day :p

brougham
11-09-05, 08:11 PM
There are a lot of roads around here like that and I do the same thing you do. I don't care of the guy in the right hand lane just turned onto the street and is just trying to get onto the road but it's the people who wait to the last second to get out of the lane that's going to end or who purposly use it to pass some cars for no reason that slow everyone else down.

Kev
11-09-05, 08:13 PM
In California it is illegal to pass on the right though many do it anyway. It is also the responsibility of the driver in the lane that is merging to merge safely with traffic, drivers in the other lane are not obligated to let them in.

I've done just as you did too Jim. It was a selfish move on the woman's part. It worked out OK for you this time but something the cops around here like to say is that it doesn't always pay to insist on your right of way.

Keep it greasy side down! :thumbsup:

LittleB
11-09-05, 08:14 PM
I 100% agree with what you did. I can't STAND when people pull moves like that. What are you going to gain by cutting in by ONE CAR length. I also hate with 2 lanes are merging and some @$$hole just has to take your turn. IT'S ONE CAR LENGTH!!!! We all have to wait in line and merge, so why can't everyone just play by the rules?! I am very passive as well, if someone is riding me then I'll pull over and let them go, but when it comes to stuff like what you just described, I react the same way. I just wish people had common courtesy....no one cares anymore!!!!!! LOL, OK <breathe...count to 10> :D

Stoneage_Caddy
11-09-05, 08:14 PM
uh , you did the right thing .....ive sent 2 cars off the road in these cases ....i run right along with traffic but i get drivers with what i call "cadillac syndrome" , they see the cadillac and by insinct HAVE to be infront of it ....

One man in a altima paid dearly for a similar move as what you went thru , he started moving towards me to run me off , so i moved right towards him even faster like they do in them movies while screming out my window "wanna play mother ****er"...i then pointed right like i was a baseball player getting ready to lay one out the park and ran him the rest of the way off the road....he ended up in the ditch sideways....

i drive 200 miles a day ......lets just say im done being bullyed.....

Kev
11-09-05, 08:23 PM
uh , you did the right thing .....ive sent 2 cars off the road in these cases ....i run right along with traffic but i get drivers with what i call "cadillac syndrome" , they see the cadillac and by insinct HAVE to be infront of it ....

One man in a altima paid dearly for a similar move as what you went thru , he started moving towards me to run me off , so i moved right towards him even faster like they do in them movies while screming out my window "wanna play mother ****er"...i then pointed right like i was a baseball player getting ready to lay one out the park and ran him the rest of the way off the road....he ended up in the ditch sideways....

i drive 200 miles a day ......lets just say im done being bullyed.....You big brute, you! :D :histeric:

Stoneage_Caddy
11-09-05, 08:27 PM
Yha ive been haveing a rash of "bad behavor" for a few weeks now , blame it on no dateing or whatever you want ......

Ask the kid in my geomentry class ....ive went after him too ......it was his fault , everytime i asked a question he would sigh and make a cute little remark .....

Next week ill sit right beside him , lets see if hes got any guts ....

Boombotz
11-09-05, 08:35 PM
I would have handled the situation the same way. Actually I'm lying because soon as she gave me the finger I would have hit the breaks to see how good her reaction time was.

Kev
11-09-05, 08:35 PM
Yha ive been haveing a rash of "bad behavor" for a few weeks now , blame it on no dateing or whatever you want ......

Ask the kid in my geomentry class ....ive went after him too ......it was his fault , everytime i asked a question he would sigh and make a cute little remark .....

Next week ill sit right beside him , lets see if hes got any guts ....Oh to be a fly on the wall! (rubs hands together in anticipation of the thought)
Just turn and look the kid in the eye without blinking and say in a calm, low voice; "I'm gonna be your buddy today." :cool:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-09-05, 08:39 PM
Nah Jimmy, I think its fine. I would have done the same thing.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-09-05, 08:43 PM
Oh i put on a show in there last night ....and i had all my class mates walk up to me after class and after he left (he leaves early) and asked me why i was mad ...after appologizeing for them haveing to see me that way i told them and they understood ,

but it was cool how the ladies were all mortified and wanting to know what made me angry .....they all said "we didnt think anything made you mad" .....one of the older ones even walked me out to the car ....i guess too make sure i didnt find him....

normally i ask alot of questions and make alot of jokes ....everytime the new class list comes out kids that are in my classes ask what im takeing next ...so everyonce in awhile ill end up with a shitload of people i know in my class ...

Jesda
11-09-05, 08:47 PM
Its not right or wrong. Its who has more power. You win. :D

turbojimmy
11-09-05, 09:03 PM
I knew I came to the right place for objective opinions ;)

Rush hour driving is tough enough without people going out of their way to f-it up for you. I usually cut people breaks and try to behave in a civil manner, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

The GN brings out the crazy in people. Everyone wants to race or somehow screw with you. It might be the CHEATER tags and the 'got boost?' third brake light, but I don't go looking for trouble. It always seems to find me.

Not so in the Caddy. People get out of the way and sometimes even make room for me when I put on the turn signal. Very strange behavior in NJ.

I'd have brake-checked her when she flipped me off, but the Caddy got rear-ended last month, and the minivan got rear-ended last week. While I do have a new bumper for the GN in the basement, I don't feel like having to dust it off and bolt it on.

I tend to dwell on things, but in this case you all have made me feel vindicated.

Thanks!

Jim

Stoneage_Caddy
11-09-05, 09:07 PM
I knew I came to the right place for objective opinions ;)
Rush hour driving is tough enough without people going out of their way to f-it up for you. I usually cut people breaks and try to behave in a civil manner, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
The GN brings out the crazy in people. Everyone wants to race or somehow screw with you. It might be the CHEATER tags and the 'got boost?' third brake light, but I don't go looking for trouble. It always seems to find me.
Not so in the Caddy. People get out of the way and sometimes even make room for me when I put on the turn signal. Very strange behavior in NJ.
I'd have brake-checked her when she flipped me off, but the Caddy got rear-ended last month, and the minivan got rear-ended last week. While I do have a new bumper for the GN in the basement, I don't feel like having to dust it off and bolt it on.
I tend to dwell on things, but in this case you all have made me feel vindicated.
Thanks!
Jim
damn son , you takin it up the ass more than elton john at a melissa ethirdge concert behind a bar named blue oyster

turbojimmy
11-09-05, 09:10 PM
damn son , you takin it up the ass more than elton john at a melissa ethirdge concert behind a bar named blue oyster

I know - I didn't want to go for 3 today.

The Caddy is going in for a new rear bumper cover next week. The Sienna goes in as soon as I'm done 'negotiating' with the lady that hit it. She was cool about it, but we'll see how she reacts to the estimate I got this week. I miss cars with 'real' bumpers.

Jim

ben72227
11-09-05, 09:14 PM
EXACTLY. When I'm in the '93 STS, NOBODY passes me. I once had some Dodge Neon thingie (its the special SRT one) try to pass me with his girlfriend in the car, and i blew his doors off. It was hilarious becuase he had pulled up in front of me, an JUST as he turned the blinker on, I floored the northstar and he knew not to turn into my lane. (He was passing from the right anyway, which is a no-no);)

Stoneage_Caddy
11-09-05, 09:15 PM
remeber when you could run over a cow and not scratch the bumper ?

turbojimmy
11-09-05, 09:20 PM

Yeah - I hit a deer with my '67 LeMans and all I had to do was pick the hair and chunks of skin out of the headlight bezel. The Caddy would've had $2,500 worth of damage. Plastic bumper cover, plastic grille, plastic headlights, aluminum hood, etc.

Jim

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-09-05, 09:31 PM
EXACTLY. When I'm in the '93 STS, NOBODY passes me. I once had some Dodge Neon thingie (its the special SRT one) try to pass me with his girlfriend in the car, and i blew his doors off. It was hilarious becuase he had pulled up in front of me, an JUST as he turned the blinker on, I floored the northstar and he knew not to turn into my lane. (He was passing from the right anyway, which is a no-no);)

LOL! Way to emasculate him in front of his girl friend in his NEON!

dbdartman
11-09-05, 09:41 PM

I got rear-ended in the 68 Barracuda back in like 1985 by a new Chrysler minivan. Was only doing a couple MPH, passing a left-turning car when a cxar from the opposite direction turned left across the intersection. I stopped, the ninivan (pun intended) didn't. It was Feburary, couldn't have been more than 15 above, DAMN COLD! I get out of the car & the front of the van is all beat up: Bumper, grill, headlights, hood all bent or broken. I'm expecting the back of the Cuda to be hurt. Well... after looking everywhere on the back of the Plymouth, I can't find ANY evidence of the hit. About this time, the van driver gets out to inspect the damage. Being the nice guy I am, & since I can't find any damage on my car, AND since it's so bloody cold, I tell the other driver it's too cold to wait for the cops, he'll get the ticket anyway & since he has to deal with the broken van, I'll let him off the hook & just leave, if he agrees. Of course he agreed & off we went. About 2 years later, a friend of mine learns that's the guy who hit me was a friend's father & he did nearly $2K in damage to his van.

About 10 years later, I actually found damage from that accident on the B'cuda. The rear roll pan, under the bumper, was dented BEHIND the license plate! :histeric: The car's been painted twice since then, & that dent is STILL there, if you care to look. :yup:

powerglide
11-09-05, 10:17 PM
Correct answer: just let it go (lifes too short for this kinda BS)

Wrong answer: slam em up against the walls (fk em, thats MY spot!)

I lean towards the wrong answer (I can't stand a-holes that do that crap)

My wife definitely leans towards the right answer (If we wreck its a real hassle to say the least and could be dangerous in the worst)

****BTW didn't someone post something just like this a while back? It turned out the person trying to pass on the right was a medic on the way to an emergency.........that made me think twice!

zonie77
11-10-05, 02:41 AM
Laws vary from state to state...in AZ not illegal to pass on the right. Merging lane (in this case right) does not have right of way. So you did the right thing. I'm amazed at 1) people that drive slooowwwwwwwwwwww in the left lane. 2) people that insist on getting in the left lane for no apparent reason 3) people that decide to cut in front of you even though they weren't going any faster.

BTW..on the way back from the SEMA show there was a slow driver in the left lane (work truck) doin 70 in a 75. Blocking traffic by staying next to a car in the right lane. AZ highway patrol pulled him over. YEAAH! Don't know what cop did to him, but it was great. We cheered him.

powerglide
11-10-05, 02:44 AM
..... I'm amazed at 1) people that drive slooowwwwwwwwwwww in the left lane.
BTW..on the way back from the SEMA show there was a slow driver in the left lane (work truck) doin 70 in a 75. Blocking traffic by staying next to a car in the right lane. AZ highway patrol pulled him over. YEAAH! Don't know what cop did to him, but it was great. We cheered him.

ALRIGHT!

Thats one of my pet peeves!
(I also hate people who don't reply to emails)

DopeStar 156
11-10-05, 03:19 AM
I've been wondering about this all day. Maybe I was being a d*ck, but I dunno.
I'm in the left of 2 lanes, the right lane ends about 500 feet up. There's no one beside me, no one behind me but a Honda. Usually the merge is a clusterf*ck, but today traffic is light. I'm about 2 car lengths behind the guy in front of me, also in the left lane. We're cruising along at about 5 MPH over the limit. As the right lane is about to end, the Honda behind me makes a break for it. She wants to run up and cut in front of me just before the merge. WTF? Everyone was playing nice, and she busts out for that extra car length. I nailed the throttle and closed the gap between the car in front of me. Now keep in mind there was no one behind me, no one beside me. The merge would've been a non-event for both of us.
We get to the merge and she makes like she wants to hit me. I'm thinking "knock yourself out honey, the Buick could use new paint anyway". She gets closer and closer to me as the curb gets closer to her right side. Finally, just before impact she gave up and cut behind me where I felt she belonged. Naturally there was the honking of the horn and the flipping of the bird. I didn't care, I was in front and with the dark tint it would have been pointless to reciprocate.
Normally I'm not so territorial, but this move had me PO'd for some reason.
Should I lay off the caffiene? Or was I right to let this person know that I disapproved of her behavior?
Jim
Hahaha woah dude! Was this today? I had the exact same thing happen to me today! Same exact thing! I had the Caddy in a merging lane when some kid tried to gun it past me so I matched him and forced him back. It's not wrong, it's just someone with their import econobox trying to show off and old american muscle making sure the kids don't get outta line. Bottom line was princess didn't get what she wanted and threw a fit. Screw her. I'll bet her horn sounded pathetic too. Hahahahaha! I usually retaliate with my Caddy's horn if someone honks at me for no reason. Trumpet horns rock! Nothing says "Eat shit *******!" like a trumpet horn.

davesdeville
11-10-05, 05:01 AM
Trumpet horns rock! Nothing says "Eat shit *******!" like a trumpet horn.

Ahem.
http://www.hornblasters.com/

The ETC is getting a 4 tone horn from a Park Ave, and the 75 is getting a couple air horns (probably at the same time it gets airbagged so I can just use that compressor and tank.)

Krashed989
11-10-05, 05:26 AM
Yeah, I was once passed by this big stupid box van with lights on top and a fancy horn... It even had a decal on the front that didn't make any sence... I mean C-mon what is ECNALUBMA Supposed to mean anyway?, Geeze... Darned thing just about ran me off the road...

LOL jk :sneaky: :alchi:

DopeStar 156
11-10-05, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I was once passed by this big stupid box van with lights on top and a fancy horn... It even had a decal on the front that didn't make any sence... I mean C-mon what is ECNALUBMA Supposed to mean anyway?, Geeze... Darned thing just about ran me off the road...

LOL jk :sneaky: :alchi:
Hahaha actually I've cut an ambulance or two off before....

RobertCTS
11-10-05, 10:54 AM

i drive 200 miles a day ......lets just say im done being bullyed.....

I'd love to see the video of that one! I hate drivers coming down the ramps that think you owe them a spot in the line!

70eldo
11-10-05, 12:14 PM
Oh, this shit happens to me all the time. Especially on the freeway when it is kinda heavy traffic on 2 lane roads (sorry, we hardly have those 4, 5, 6 lane freeways!). Everybody wants to drive in the left lane and don't want to move to the right. That's very annoying too, but there are also drivers who just pass on the right side then and get all the way to the front. But when you are so kind to drive on the right side to make a little room, the car behind you just takes your place and won't let you back to the left to pass that slow truck. So, it's a catch 22 in road behaviour...

davesdeville
11-10-05, 04:23 PM
Solution: Take it on the shoulder, run it up to 120 or so, merge back in. :devil:

Note: like the shooting blanks at people comment, this is a JOKE. :suspect:

mccombie_5
11-10-05, 04:44 PM
Im looking for something to take *******s off the road with

maybe like this set up :p

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/4610.jpg

Unfortunately, theyre illegal here.....

Cop: "Im looking for a Mr Bribe...."

Kev
11-10-05, 04:47 PM
This would be my preference....

http://www.deltaforce.net/deuce/parade2.jpg

Kev
11-10-05, 04:48 PM
The .50 up top is a handy touch.

mccombie_5
11-10-05, 04:52 PM
LOL, Indeed, you could tail whoever you wanted in that.

Kev
11-10-05, 04:54 PM
LOL, Indeed, you could tail whoever you wanted in that.Tail nuthin! With that ground clearance I could run right over 'em! :sneaky: :p

mccombie_5
11-10-05, 05:02 PM
LOL

Or just push them outa the way.

powerglide
11-10-05, 05:13 PM
This is what we need!

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

Check out that short video there.....SWEET!

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-11-05, 04:56 AM
You did the right thing.

Pulling out to pass when approaching the merge is just stupid.
I would have done exactly what you did.

As London traffic is so bad that kind of thing happens a lot.
I bought an old banger of a car (mechanically great but to look at but all scratched and dented and never washed) to drive to work and I would take no **** from anyone.

Some guy tried it on like that in a Grand Voyager and I wouldn't give in. He then came up alongside me after the blockage and wound down his window (big black guy) and TOLD ME I was going to let him in. I just calmly told him I wasn't going to. So he told me he was going to come across anyway. So I told him I'd make a Ford Escort sized dent in the side of his Voyager and to look at my car and decide for himself if I was serious. He took one look at it and backed right off.

I also had some indian guy in a BMW 1-series (BMW drivers are the worst for this stuff actually) and there's no way I was taking **** from someone who bought an overpriced, entry level car for the badge when just about every other competing car is better at that price.
He pulled alongside when the road widened again and swerved ever so gently toweards my car to make a point. So I properly swerved towards him (we weren't going more than 20mpg) and he slammed the barkes on in a panic.
We get to a set of traffic lights and he pulls up alongside. The road merges into 1 lane. He guns the engine and looks at me all smugly. I know my 8v engine generates as much torque as his and my car weighs less. I also go drag racing regularly and know full well how to launch my car. The lights go green, I dump the clutch and ge to the merge point 2 car lengths ahead of his brand new beemer. When we got to the next set of lights he went into the right hand lane to turn and wouldn't even look at me.

I really should learn to just give in and let them have their way, but I always get p***ed off when someone does something stupid.

turbojimmy
11-11-05, 07:37 AM
I really should learn to just give in and let them have their way, but I always get p***ed off when someone does something stupid.

Me too. It sounds like a common problem to have though.

One of the reasons I was hesitant this time around was that last time this happened I lost my LH side mirror in the game of chicken. The other guy lost his RH mirror. But he attacked me and took off so I never got his tags.

What happened was this. As usual, the merge was all backed up. Everyone was doing the every-other-car thing and this guy in an Impala chose my little white Buick Century as the car he'd try to squeeze in front of. It was clear how the every-other-car thing was going, everyone was being nice but he wanted to be #2 in front of me. I was in the left lane, he was in the right lane. He got REALLY close before giving up and took off up the shoulder and cut in somewhere else. Whatever, he wins I guess.

Game over, right?

Nooooo. 15 miles later, long after I had forgotten about this ***** I'm cruising along in the RIGHT lane approaching a light. The left lane at this light is always backed up from people making a left onto another road. This a-hole must have kept me in his sights the whole 15 miles. His lane was stopped, mine was moving at about 40 MPH. Just as I got close to him he darted out of the line of traffic at me. I swerved into the shoulder but not before my LH mirror when WHACK against my window. I had to replace the mirror. His mirror was dangling by the wires on the side of his car. When it was clear I pulled over but he took off. He was clearly a psycho so I didn't give chase.

I filed a police report, which on my driving record simply says "INVOLVED IN ACCIDENT" so now I get to pay a $75 per year surcharge on my insurance.

Jim

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
11-11-05, 10:34 AM
I hear you.

I was riding in a friends car when some guy in a new Renault decided to cut us up when we were going down a sliproad. We honked the horn at him and watched as he drove off at like 80-90 in a 50 limit and swerved in and out of traffic showing off to his girlfriend
We thought no more of it.

At the next turn-off we could see his car going up the sliproad really slowly and we thought WTF?

We went past in the far lane and I looked across and saw him throw a full beer can out of the window at us, it arced through the air and hit the front windscreen, smashing it.
I was quite lucky though, as the side window was rolled down and if we'd been 2 feet further down the road it would have come through the window and hit me on the side of the head and that would have been VERY bad.

It's a pity we had of course by then driven past the sliproad or we could have gone and beaten the **** out of him.
I keep an eye out for the car even now, if I see it he's toast.