: New member, trying to find out if oil burning is ok!

maxcaddi
12-09-03, 07:51 AM
Sorry guys, but our car is in the shop for many different things today, and we finally got worried, and decided to see what could be wrong on this forum. First post here. Very simple. 2001 DTS, 170,000km's (100,000 miles) and its burns about half its oil in about 2 weeks (2000miles). Is this normal? it just started about 10,000 miles ago. I find it hard to swallow that a car of this category can burn oil so quickly! Can this be fixed without a rebuild? Also, Crank positioning sensor has gone bad, it hesitates alot and teh check engine light comes on. Any advice? Part numbers?

Thanks!

JOHNNY Z
12-09-03, 10:18 AM
Obviously you drive this car alot,1000 miles aweek it looks like. At that rate its probably 90% highway miles or a city taxicab. Even if your humming along at 80-85 mph I still think thats a pretty high oil usage even for a NStar. I would first try a full oil change with NON Synthetic 10W-30 (7 1/2 quarts and 2 cans of a product called RESTORE (8 cylinder treatment big cans) about 7 dollars each. I would say for sure within 500 miles you would see a difference. There is no "engine in a can" for sure but this product works for a good 8-10 thousand miles before you need to retreat the cylinder wallls with a second application. I have owned over 100 cars so far and have been around and around the block with products and fixes. I didn't just parachute into this business. Good luck.

zonie77
12-09-03, 12:43 PM
How often have you changed oil? If you've gone longer intervals then a flush or an additive should help. The rings can get gummed up in their grooves.
There is an official Cadillac procedure for this. Search the threads.
Restore is a good choice.
Even though you are putting in a lot of oil make sure you change the oil regularly, all the dirt is staying in the engine.

maxcaddi
12-09-03, 12:53 PM
What is the procedure called so I can search for it.

Thanks.

maxcaddi
12-09-03, 01:52 PM
Spoke to dealer about the procedure requiredto help the oil burning situation. He mentioned the term "Cleans Treatment" and having it sit all night in the block, then cleaning the TB and then running some oil treatment. Does this all sound familiar? I'm assuming this can be done at my local mechanic, and not Cadillac.

zonie77
12-09-03, 03:54 PM
That TSB is the procedure. I would think anyone can do it. The TSB says which solvent to use.

kcnewell
12-09-03, 10:11 PM
There's a thread in this section called " Do Northstars burn oil fast " It will have some info in it that will help.

maxcaddi
12-10-03, 10:06 AM
That TSB is the procedure. I would think anyone can do it. The TSB says which solvent to use.
Where is this TSB? I've searched. If you know can you please send link?