: Heated and Cooled Cupholders Install

MARCUS6374
11-08-05, 06:51 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum, so bear with me. I recently purchased the cupholders that go in a 2005 Escalade Platinum. The part number is 10399101. It costs about $175 on GM Parts Direct. Anyway, I installed it into my regular 05 Escalade that did not have these cooled cup holders. Install went well. It works fine, but I have a question. There are three wires for the cupholders, Black, Red, and Blue. To get it to work, I connected black to ground and the red and blue to 12 volt power. The unit would not work without both wires connected to power. I have tested the system in a new Platinum and the indicator lights next to the buttons dom when the headlights go on, of course mine doesn't dim. I'd like it to, but can't find a blue wire in the console area that has to do with dimming. The blue line apparently needs power normally and a lesser voltage when the headlights come on. Any idea of where I could find a wire for this in the console area. It is a dark blue wire.
Besides this, it works great. it is a self contained item. I have now gotten 2 more units to go in an 03 Escalade and a Yukon. I will have to modify them to fit in these cars, but it should be worth it.

Thank you.

gort
11-08-05, 11:04 PM
Do you have pics of this setup? When you say you would have to modify them to fit, do you mean for the earlier escalade as well as the Yukon or only the yukon?

benamaster
11-09-05, 12:58 AM
Great Post!

As far as I was aware the ESV Plat Cup Holders only heated and cooled the specific mugs for the truck? Did you have to modify the plastic at all?

Falkolade
11-09-05, 01:18 AM
Great Post!

As far as I was aware the ESV Plat Cup Holders only heated and cooled the specific mugs for the truck? Did you have to modify the plastic at all?

It'll heat up any container you put in the cup holders... no unique cup is required...

jrs05caddyext
11-09-05, 11:04 AM
Is this what you installed?

ICEMAN
11-09-05, 11:10 AM
Would these fit into a 2004 Escalade?
I'd like to add those to my Caddy.

caddy04
11-09-05, 11:27 AM
I would like to add that to my 04 also. To keep my beer cold.

csmooth79
11-09-05, 02:37 PM
I would like to add that to my 04 also. To keep my beer cold. :alchi:

Beautiful ... Any news on it going into an 02?

MARCUS6374
11-09-05, 05:27 PM
Yes, the picture that JRS02CADDYEXT posted is the same item I installed into the 05 Escalade. This was easy because the console is the same as in the Platinum. AS for the other Escalade I have, it is a 02 =(not 03 as I stated) ans will need to be modified. The new Escalade console is slitly diferent than the one on the 02. The trucks have the same body, but the console is not quite the same. The heated/cooled cup unit includes the electronics, a little fan and radiator type thing, all under the cup surface. The unit also includes the top plastic stuff about 4inches in front and 2 inches behind: the 2 wood looking doors, and the shale colored top trim on the sides of the console. The whole section has to pop out of your current car and is replaced, so that is why I say I will have to modify it a little for the 02 Escalade and the 03 Yukon. THe consoles are not the same.

Also, on the 05 Escalade, I did have to change out the shale colored part thet came on the new cupholder unit. My 05 is puter (grey). I used a heat gun to heat up 9 little plastic tabs on the back side of the unit. Then I could take off the outside edge bezzle and switch them. It was not hard to do.

On the 02 Escalade and especially on the 03 Yukon, I will have to not only take off the bezzle, but also trim down the size of the unit. The Yukon console us an inch or so smaller. In the 02 Escalade, the only problem is that hte bezzles arent the same. I can probably take the back part of the unit (black plastic part with the heating/cooling and cups) and install that under the bezzel and doors existing in the 02.

MARCUS6374
11-09-05, 05:30 PM
Also, if you want to know if the heated/cooled cupholder unit will fit in your Denali or older Escalade, drive to the local Caddy dealer and look inside of the Platinum or current Escalade. If the consoles are the same, then you can probably swap out the unit. Hope this helps.

csmooth79
11-09-05, 06:22 PM
any pics of the install so I know where to start, how much to trim, etc...

Sky High Ent.
11-09-05, 06:52 PM
So, will the dealer install this on an older escalade (02)?

Thanks.

tmcorson
11-09-05, 08:07 PM
Just spoke to my dealership in Southern California. I could purchase the unit for my '05 and they would install it at $85.00 an hr, as well as warranty the installation for 12,000 miles. They were not sure if there is a wireing harness for the unit or how long it take if they had to wire it in. I would estimate no more thane 2 hours .

gredneck
11-09-05, 08:52 PM
must resist urge to buy, must resist,must resist.:bomb: :
nope didn't work :excited:

clickart
11-09-05, 09:11 PM
does this thing really work?

DBrisson
11-09-05, 09:48 PM
Did you buy them from gmparts direct or somewhere else? The part number comes up as bezel, just want to be sure before I order.

D>Brisson 04 Black escade

tmcorson
11-10-05, 02:14 AM
Bezel is the correct discription of the unit. I confirmed it with parts dept. of the dealership. I would definently purchase from GMParts Direct. List from dealer was aroung $340.00, GMParts direct is $147.00.

DBrisson
11-10-05, 11:45 AM
I have seen these work pretty well the Gray area is a peltier device which depending on the direction of the current heats or cools. Here is a link to a peltier beer cooler.
http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~arnesen/peltierbeer/

MARCUS6374
11-10-05, 04:58 PM
It does work very well. I did buy it from GMpartsdirect.com, and it is very easy to install if you have an 05. I wouldn't buy it from a dealer or have them put it in. Since a regular 05 is not supposed to have this, and the wireing harnes is not just plug-and-play, they will charge to much for the install. Anyone with simle do-it-yourself knowledge can do it. Just splice in to a couple of wiers, you can simply use the lines for the existing lighter. As far as posting pics, I don't see how it would help. If i took a pic of it installed, it would look just like the pic posted above from the Platinum.

arcorl
11-11-05, 03:33 PM
Hi Marcus6374.. Are you sure the part number is correct. I looked it up for my 05 and it is listed as follows:
GM PART # 10399101
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $306.45
OUR PRICE: $174.68
DESCRIPTION: BEZEL

I wanted to make sure it is the correct part number before oerdring it. I may have a solution for your blue wire issue, but want to try it first. BTW, is the color black. Thanks for the help and idea!!!

gacck
11-13-05, 02:23 AM
Couldn't you tap into the dimming wire for the 6 disc CD changer? I believe the indicators dim down with the rheostat. Shipping & handling through GM is $38 to the west coast!! wow!! You said that it shipped shale and not grey...did you have a choice? I don't see an option on the color when you order, and I have shale anyway, so I'm asking for everyone else.

Cheers!

hal72
11-19-05, 09:21 AM
when anyone know the correct wiring, please post it here:hmm:

MARCUS6374
11-23-05, 12:46 PM
Yes, that is the right part number. It is described as "Bezzle". It only comes in the shale color because the Platinums only come with shale interior. If that is not your color, you can change the outer shale part (on the sides of the cup holders) with the one from your existing 05 or 06. I thought of using the dimming wire that goes to the 6-disc changer. I'm pretty sure that will work. I have been too bussy to try it and it is working so well as is (not dimming).

Mjctampa
12-08-05, 09:29 PM
Watching this post...... Can't wait to find out if my installer can do the work.....

womsterr
12-09-05, 02:52 AM
I just ordered this myself so I should be able to figure it out shortly...

loanman
12-13-05, 05:41 PM
does anyone know which wire on the disc changer is the dimming wire?

womsterr
02-04-06, 03:56 PM
Anyone figure this out? I'm putting mine in finally today..

fast66
02-04-06, 05:59 PM
I want it in m 02! Did anyone figure this out yet

DaddyO
02-13-06, 11:27 AM
Will this work in a 2003 truck?

loanman
02-13-06, 04:12 PM
Yes it will but you will have to switch the wood off the doors from your current unit to put on the heat/cool unit since it comes in burl wood not zebra grain or whatever our 2003 has. I also have a 2003 and switched it out and it works great! I had to also do some trimming on the sub support piece underneath the unit as the heat/cool unit is a little deeper due to the heating cooling unit and fan. No big deal though just dremmeled it out and all is good! Tried to hook up the dimmer switch but didn't seem to work so just put both positives to the positive for the cig lighter and neg to neg cig and works fine! It doesn't really bother me that the light is a little brighter since they aren't on all the time anyway.

DaddyO
02-14-06, 02:49 PM
Loanman, thanks for the info. Are there switches for this unit?

loanman
02-14-06, 03:42 PM
Dadddyo I am not sure what you mean by switches? The only switches on the unit are the ones near the cupholder itself that toggles forward for hot and back for cold.. Hope this helps.

vaporkid8
09-19-06, 11:21 AM
hey i have an 02 and would like to put these in my 02 where do i find them out i cheched it out on gm parts.com but couldnt find it, it says bezzel but im not sure if its the bezzel with the heated cup holders.

Foxriverkid
12-18-06, 07:37 PM
I just got one on EBay for $125.00. I was the only bidder.

nofinga911
12-21-06, 03:01 AM
does the 07' ext (non platinum) have heated/cooled cupholders?

ejholt
12-27-06, 11:31 PM
They are not an option on the 07. Does anyone know if they are available aftermarket for the 07?

Foxriverkid
12-29-06, 10:15 AM
Can someone please give me either a link or a proper parts number so I can look this item up on GM parts direct. The number listed in the original post is not valid.

stan stewart
12-29-06, 12:43 PM
I tried it to and I got message no longer available!

gort
01-12-07, 06:55 PM
Damn I hope you can still buy this....I'd love to get it in my car.

benamaster
01-12-07, 07:05 PM
You might want to try going to a dealer and at least get the part number. I am sure it just changed and that the part is still avaliable.

EROD316
01-25-07, 12:21 AM
:thumbsup: First off great forum i have this cup holder in my 2004 escalade ext, i work for a cadillac dealer, acording to the schematics power, ground , and lights for the switches it was a very simple install hardest part was transfering the wood grain from the platinum edition to regular wood grain you would have to purchase the special cup that come with the platinum edition to get the full effect .. if you guys like i can get the part number tommorrow

FISH
01-25-07, 02:04 AM
part number and a price would be great. Also will it still keep sodas cold without the special cup?

yourgmsolutions
01-25-07, 02:50 AM
Now I got me a new project to do. I'm going try to install/integrate/modify this cup heater/cooler on 07 escalade

here is a little info I founded for You guys

Thermo Cooler/Cupholder Description and Operation
The driver and passenger thermo cupholders, located in the center console, have both a hot and cold mode. A thermo cupholder switch, located next to the cupholder, controls the hot and cold mode of the cupholder. Pressing the part of the switch with the red LED provides heat to the cupholder while pressing the part with the blue LED provides cooling to the cupholder. Pressing the switch twice at any particular mode will turn the cupholder off. Dimming the interior lights to the lowest setting will also turn the cupholder off. The cupholder receives voltage from the cupholder relay. The ignition switch must be in the run position in order for the relay to supply voltage to the cupholder.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/ThermoCoolerCupholder.gif

Foxriverkid
01-25-07, 05:37 AM
Does anybody have any install photos for this setup? I bought a unit on ebay that wasn't complete. It has no woodgrain surface parts on it. I also would like a correct part number for GM Parts Direct.

Thanks

yourgmsolutions
01-25-07, 02:44 PM
ok, some updates.
part # for those super cupholders is 15140858
now, if somebody wants to have factory switches that control those cupholders, and does not want to modify exsisting bezel. then you can buy whole assembly. PART # 15254148 (but still needs to get those cupholders for them

yourgmsolutions
01-25-07, 09:15 PM
ok, I spent about an hour today at the parts department, trying to figure out exactly what's going on.
part # 15140858 is just for the cup
but it will not work, unless You buy
part # 15254148

Foxriverkid
02-01-07, 10:32 PM
Today I received the whole, complete cup holder. It even includes a new lighter. Before I screw up the console, how does one remove it? Is it only clip on? Or are there some screws? Also do we have a fix on the dimming wire? What color is it going into the CD changer? This will be cool (or hot) if it works.

07Lambert
02-03-07, 12:40 PM
Now I got me a new project to do. I'm going try to install/integrate/modify this cup heater/cooler on 07 escalade

How did this installation turn out?

grantwest
02-24-07, 01:20 PM
Do you have any pic's of the parts you recieved. If I could see the part I could tell if it was gonna work in my 07. Thanks

benamaster
02-25-07, 03:01 PM
Do you have any pic's of the parts you recieved. If I could see the part I could tell if it was gonna work in my 07. Thanks

I'd like to see some pictures too. Hopefully it will work in the 07's.

flyingdutchman
02-28-07, 02:20 PM
New part number and price for pre-2007

GM PART # 15254148
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $364.61
OUR PRICE: $216.14

deedward
03-19-07, 05:09 PM
Did anyone ever determine the correct wire to splice into for the blue wire in order for the light dimmer to control the brightness of the lights on the cupholders?

Thanks in advance!

Escaladegrl
08-01-07, 01:54 PM
Okay, I bought this unit on ebay for $100 and now I just need to know how to get the old cupholder out? Can anyone tell me how to do this? I am swapping out my 06 for an 06 heated/cooled cupholders. Thanks.

womsterr
08-31-07, 11:33 PM
I've never been able to get the dimmer to work and there has to be 100 wires down there...

I asked my local dealer and was even willing to pay...but they couldn't help...they are so clueless....

randyb777
10-20-08, 09:42 PM
Has anyone installed the heated/cooled cup holders into 07 escalade and can post pictures,install infos, part nos., etc....

haullin
10-20-08, 10:49 PM
Did the part # change again ? ...I can locate the cup but not the assembly..

Povich
10-21-08, 03:15 AM
Did anyone ever determine the correct wire to splice into for the blue wire in order for the light dimmer to control the brightness of the lights on the cupholders?

Thanks in advance!
not positive but could most likely locate stereo dim wire and run up n splice to that for dimming function!

Lu Scola
10-21-08, 09:31 AM
OK if you want the light to dim with the headlights you can do easily by running the wire up into the back of the radio. I will look at my harness today and let you know which wire is the illumination/dimmer switch wire. Let ya know later.

Robscountach
11-14-08, 12:02 AM
I just don't believe this works well, in cooling mode, with attaching to the A/C somehow. Just a fan isn't really "cooling". My SL has fans in the seats to cool and is really lame.
Anybody know how this works before I decide to chop-up my 02 sometime soon ?

1class
11-14-08, 12:32 PM
Amazing! 50+ post on questions about cup holders WOW!:lol

There are more serious support questions on this forum about important vehicle maintenance and they just get a few responses.

sorry just keeping it real

Robscountach
11-15-08, 01:28 PM
I've been a member of many auto forums and did notitce this as well; However, its possible that more folks here are not DIY'ers.

Different folks is all...

Amazing! 50+ post on questions about cup holders WOW!:lol

There are more serious support questions on this forum about important vehicle maintenance and they just get a few responses.

sorry just keeping it real

desidon
06-08-10, 10:34 AM
Can someone post a step by step install procedures with pics please!!

nathanjax
06-08-10, 02:43 PM
Can someone post a step by step install procedures with pics please!!

Search "Heated" there is already one...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/188081-diy-how-add-platinum-heated-cooled.html