: pep up your catera

cat
11-08-05, 12:52 AM
The other day I had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube on my 2000 Catera and realized that the car has true dual exchaust and was tring to figure out the flow. So I came up with an idea to remove the resinators that are between the cats and the muffler. After removing the resinetors the car now has a nice tone to the exchaust and made the car allot faster acceleration. We all know that the Catera is not a sports car but we all want to be able to walk on your local Honda boyz. One other thing I found out about the Catera is shutting off the traction control and turning on the sport shift then, keeping the car in 3rd gear really make the car wake up. Has anyone tries this and had the same results?(Been a Catera owner for 2 weeks)

miahcornell
11-08-05, 08:46 PM
I dont use sport mode, its inconsistent for me. My car will hold the gear untill redline if the throttle is about 85% or more. These cars have pretty good passing power, especially when it downshifts around 40mph.

Warez
11-08-05, 11:09 PM
Does it have an annoying ricer buzzing sound without the resonators?? I've heard other 3L V6 cars with exhausts and they all sounded like rice.

cat
11-08-05, 11:43 PM
leave the stock muffler on the car it has a nice sound like the 350z

newbee
11-09-05, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a good idea, but im very new at this so i was wandering how to remove the resonators. Could u help me?

cat
11-09-05, 10:30 PM
i just went to a carx and asked them if they can remove them. they charged me 35.00 for removal and new pipe, the best thing is for one there heavy as hell for one and now u hav made the exchaust more of a free flowwing straight threw exchaust. plus a very sport but not ricer sound

mikat
11-13-05, 10:47 AM
Did you notice increased interior noise...resonance

cat
11-13-05, 12:32 PM
A little interior noise, nothing ricey sounding i think it sounds pretty dam nice because its a caddy not a ricer:thumbsup:

liv2wrshp
11-13-05, 10:39 PM
Is this something you can do on your own?

cat
11-14-05, 07:46 AM
no :thehand: not unless u have a welder and a pipe bender

R-Caddy
11-14-05, 04:35 PM
I am actually thinking cutting off the last muffler and just doing dual side exhaust. That is supposed to be an easy trick, because we do have dual exhaust 'til last box. I guess, directing the pipes to the sides should be pretty easy. That should increase power :thumbsup: and noise :helpless:

cat
11-15-05, 08:00 PM
you'll pick up more power by getting rid of the resonators than the muffler because the muffler are a straight threw design and the resonators are not. getting rid of the resonators makes a straight threw exchaust so that eqauls free flowing faster flow and more power:lildevil:

Cat-a-Tonic
11-18-05, 12:08 AM
I agree with Cat. And it's easy to put the resonator back in. BUT I had a bad experience with leaving the shifter in 3rd and "sport' mode. was doing the usuall 120 mph on the county road. The rev limiter cut in and I looked down to see the tach at 6000 rpm. And the shifter in 3rd. Threw the stick ito drive and away I went. ----- for about 5 more seconds. Then there was the unmistakable frap of the timing belt breaking, followed by a series of 'crunch, crunch, ting, dong, dong. And the silence you only know if you've flown a glider. Then the oil that was poring our of the oil pan was sucked back into the passanger compartment. I prayed,, " NO spark, Lord,,, NO spark, PLEASE! As atomized oil will explode as well as dynamite. THe block, apon inspection looked like swish cheese. holes through both sides of the back of block, the bottom of the engine and oil pan. The connecting rod even took out the starting motor. Maybe it was just 'time'. engine had 230,000 km. Destroyed the head as well. rear jounal bearing was hanging from the bolts. Well I'm still here to 'talk' about it.:hammer:

Cat-a-Tonic
11-18-05, 12:29 AM
Dear Santa,:xlol:
I WANT HEADERS!!! For all the Cateras in the world. At least that'll bring the per/unit cost down to something I can afford!
Has anywone run across a reference from Europe of the Opel MV6 being equiped with headers and dual superchargers for police persuit vehicles? I'm sure I read that somewhere. But can't find the link anymore.:banghead:

Cat-a-Tonic
11-18-05, 12:31 AM
While we're making a wish list, how about a better, i.e. shorter, cold air intake mod that we can all make ourselves. I have some ideas but don't have a heated garage to mess around in.:annoyed:

figgie
11-18-05, 09:55 PM
free flowing exhaust will not make that much more power on an N/A car especially with the junk log type manifolds the cat has.

cat
11-18-05, 11:11 PM
free flowing exhaust will not make that much more power on an N/A car especially with the junk log type manifolds the cat has.

your wrong it made a noticable difference in my 2000 catera and any car it would help breath on top. what's the poinet to put on a cold air intake to help the car breath better but then choke it on the other end. remember the faster the air goes in and comes out the quicker the car is. :banghead:

revin24
11-21-05, 07:24 AM
i have a 98 catera and i removed the resonator 3-4 months ago. there was not a noticable differance but 98 was the year before the computer reprogram and required premium gas. i did find cams from piper cams thats worth 30HP or more as far as the exaust goes the gto exaust will fit the cateras the 2004 gtos exaust will anyways.:bouncy:

OmegaSynthesis
12-16-05, 02:50 AM
Will the 2004 GTO's exhaust really fit ours?:D I hope so!!!! does anyone know if this Borla system will fit...http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=358. ive got a Borla on my camaro and i love it!! Have a Borla on my caddy too!! gotta save my pennys..

silentkiller19
12-16-05, 01:49 PM
I recently talked to the people at borla, flowmaster, and magnaflow and they said that the kit is not bolt on and even if it was changed to fit a catera it would sound terrible.

OmegaSynthesis
12-16-05, 02:29 PM
Awww:( Always something to ruin my hopes and dreams. Oh well, called the guys at Exhaust Pro's was quoted about 60 dollars for a resonator bypass. Do we have 2 resonators?? Can anyone lay out our stock exhaust system perfectly? I tried to look under mine but its too low to just peek underneath and too cold to jack it up n look. 60 seem fair or should i cancel and check elsewhere?

NJ_Catera
01-27-06, 09:09 AM
Anyone planning on removing the resonators, I mentioned it to my mechanic (who also has a Catera) and he said that the car probably won't pass inspection...at least not in NY. So if that's true you might want to get it inspected beforehand. I've been considering the Magnaflow for the longest time, but never got to hear how it sounds.

Ron_matrix
02-13-06, 08:45 PM
good post cat
had my resonators remove today and i did feel the difference in pickup and now my catera sounds like infinity G35 coupe awesome
thinking about removing the catalictic converters now has anyone tried this yet?

AllenPacla
02-13-06, 10:45 PM
Ron Matrix, what model is your Catera?

Ron_matrix
02-23-06, 07:43 PM
allenpacla

98 catera

gixxer_751
02-24-06, 03:18 PM
Awww:( Always something to ruin my hopes and dreams. Oh well, called the guys at Exhaust Pro's was quoted about 60 dollars for a resonator bypass. Do we have 2 resonators?? Can anyone lay out our stock exhaust system perfectly? I tried to look under mine but its too low to just peek underneath and too cold to jack it up n look. 60 seem fair or should i cancel and check elsewhere?

60 sounds right, i paid 30 to get my cat's dummied:alchi:

Brosepe
02-25-06, 01:07 PM
Did the removal of your resonators change your gas milage in a positive or negative way? Did you loose bottom end power? I was thinking of removing the resonators but I'm afraid to get low milage from flooring it everywhere. Also I was thinking of replacing the two resonators with highflow mufflers and then doing straight pipes with tips out the back.

gixxer_751
04-15-06, 03:42 PM
i may have gone a bit overboard.....i got the resinator removed and got cadilitic converter dummied & you can tell now when the car is turned on....

MyOpel
04-15-06, 10:28 PM
Does your Catera have 4 o2 sensors? if so has the check engine light come on?
I'm thinking of installing electric cut outs in front of the cats but donít want to reset the computer after every time I use them (I have 4 o2's two of them are in the cats).

gixxer_751
04-16-06, 12:01 AM
yup, its got 4 o2 sensors, two on each, but i wouldn't recommend dummying cadilitic converters.. no check engine light

OpelOmegaB
04-16-06, 07:27 PM
i may have gone a bit overboard.....i got the resinator removed and got cadilitic converter dummied & you can tell now when the car is turned on....

To get your caTAlYtic converters dummied is indeed a VERY dumb idea.

Why do think they are there??? Any idea?:confused: :confused:

If everybody would do the same crap, the air would be polluted like it was
20 years ago.

On top of that, your horsepower gain was next to nothing. Congratulations,
mission accomplished.

P.S. It's not a cadilitic converter, it's a catalytic converter or catalyst.

AllenPacla
04-16-06, 11:24 PM
And i believe that you will get a "Check Engine Light" on with the Catalytic Converter removed because the O2 sensor will get a reading and will report it as a bad Converter. You won't pass emission test and if you haven't gotten the CE light on yet, maybe the bulb is busted.

gixxer_751
04-17-06, 10:51 AM
To get your caTAlYtic converters dummied is indeed a VERY dumb idea.

Why do think they are there??? Any idea?:confused: :confused:

If everybody would do the same crap, the air would be polluted like it was
20 years ago.

On top of that, your horsepower gain was next to nothing. Congratulations,
mission accomplished.

P.S. It's not a cadilitic converter, it's a catalytic converter or catalyst.

thanks "opelomega b " for the spelling lesson.......I hope they dont give me a "D" on my post:eek:

gixxer_751
04-19-06, 08:33 AM
And i believe that you will get a "Check Engine Light" on with the Catalytic Converter removed because the O2 sensor will get a reading and will report it as a bad Converter. You won't pass emission test and if you haven't gotten the CE light on yet, maybe the bulb is busted.

I spoke to soon, Check Engine light came on, and yup, its a bad converter... just a little update

Elo
04-19-06, 03:02 PM
In regards to the original poster...

I don't think it's a good idea to keep a car locked into a certain gear... I'm sure that it probably puts a lot of undesireable stress on the tranny...

I've only used the "sport" gearing a handful of times... Because I'm sure almost redlining your tranny's not the best of ideas either... But it is fun to "get up and go" every now and again... :)

-Elo

gixxer_751
04-23-06, 04:26 PM
nO CHECK ENGINE AS OF YET.. just a little update on removing the converters

AllenPacla
04-23-06, 09:48 PM
I thought you said that the CE light came on? Maybe the bulb got busted that it's not lighting up. See if the CE light turns on during start up. If it does, then it's working, and if you don't have it on after removing the catalytic converters, I don't know what to say.

gixxer_751
04-24-06, 10:00 AM
yeah, i did post that, but i noticed a whole in the exhaust system when they initially did it. so my CE light came on, i took it back to them this weekend and they fixed the whole so my CE light went away............................but its back on CE

AllenPacla
04-24-06, 08:47 PM
Your post is a little confusing, is the light on or not now?

gixxer_751
04-25-06, 11:08 AM
yup, its on and in full effect.. car runs great though, but the CE light is on, which tends to get annoying

AllenPacla
04-25-06, 09:05 PM
So, don't expect the car to pass emission test once your car is up for inspection. Unless you decide to replace back the Catalytic Converter. You can just remove it again afterwards.

gixxer_751
04-26-06, 08:56 AM
i guess here in texas they aren't strict when renewing your inspection sticker..same guy that did the work, does inspection stickers and he's given it to me before ( i did the same mod on my truck). he makes sure blinkers, headlights, wipers....etc all work and that the car has a cat (which it does) and he'll pass it, so inspection stickers aren't a problem.

AllenPacla
04-26-06, 09:35 AM
You are one lucky guy, here in NY, inspectors will take every opportunity to not pass your car during emission test because it means that you will ask them for help, since they are the auto repair shop as well, then you are trapped. So, it has become a habit of ours to get the car for inspection about two weeks before the deadline so that we can still pull the car out of the inspectors shop and have the repair or whatever it is fixed outside of their premise.

gixxer_751
04-26-06, 11:51 AM
i hear you, we've got little mom and pops shops around here in the country which, to tell you the truth, really care bout the business and the $$$. emmision test, correct me if im wrong, are when they plug some type of pipe to your exhaust and ask you to turn it on?